OtakuBoards

Song Covers

Dragon Warrior

You would have to be pretty much not human to say you don't sing your favorite songs and actually be telling the truth. At least in the shower, right? Well, some of us are bound to actually get up the courage and perform covers of our favorite songs on camera. And that's what this thread is for. It's to post videos (or a link to a stream if you have it) of you and/or someone covering a song you like. This'll get some good music out there so people can hear it, plus everyone can hear your awesome talents! I love hearing covers so I'd like to see some of you :]

I'll start us off. Here's a cover I did earlier this year by the band Sleeping At Last. The song is very pretty and soft, and is called "Keep No Score." The girl is my friend Cori who is the female vocalist that accompanies my vocals in my band Umbrella Bones.

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po6SpneRVF0[/media]

[size="1"][i]"Keep No Score"
By Sleeping At Last

God, let her listen
With ears to the ground.
Let voiceless approval
Turn into sound.

In death there are hidden, invisible keys
That only when swallowed
Reveal where they lead.

Life is a mess
We wake up to.
A single thread of a deeper truth.

Is this a graveyard
To bury her heart?
Or is it a garden
Where new life will start?

â??Cause God, when life here ends,
Weâ??ll beg you for more.
In temper weâ??ll hate you,
But please keep no score.

Life, it is a mess we wake up to,
A single thread of a deeper truth.[/size][/i][/center] Edited by Dragon Warrior

• 4 weeks later...
This is a solid cover, man, although I'm not familiar with the original. If only the acoustic guitar weren't so boring.

I love doing covers with my band. They're so much more fun than original songs, because self expression is so corny, y'know? So we mostly play covers. I have none recorded and I have absolutely no way to do that, because the rest of Proust On Fire is in another city. But in our repitoire we have: Debaser, Wave Of Mutilation, and Tame by the Pixies. Cut Your Hair by Pavement. Bad Reputation by Joan Jett (**** you, it is a great song.). Slack Motherfucker by Superchunk. Fortuante Son by CCR. Smells Like Teen Spirit by you know who. Icky Thump by the White Stripes. A bunch of thrash metal I don't know. I can't tell it from itself, I just play the drums. Black History Month and Cold War by DFA1979. Young Hearts Spark Fire by JPDNRDS.

Sorry I've got no links but hey, at least it's a response right?

[quote name='Dragon Warrior' timestamp='1295905122' post='704235']
Haha, indeed. And a lot of those are good songs, particularly the Pixies ones. And yeah, in the original song, that's all the guitar is. And I don't recall any other instruments accompanying it. It's a fairly simple, soft song.
[/quote]

Pixies, absolutely. Got my tickets for their reunion show in Montreal in April. So excited.

Some class mates and I have been doing some covers and my favourite ones so far are [b]Born to be Wild [/b]by Steppenwolf, but even moreso [b]Ace of Spades[/b] by Motorhead. I CAN PULL OFF THOSE VOCALS PRETTY WELL WTFBBQ.

I can't think of too many covers I like a lot, other than this one:

[youtube]X2XzqL2xG9g[/youtube]

Elliott Smith - "Because" (The Beatles).

I actually prefer this version to The Beatles's, maybe because I heard it first. Elliott Smith just really cranked up the beauty in it.

Now for something shameless:

[youtube]AxmY-_7c9iA[/youtube]

My cover of "Fool" by Neutral Milk Hotel.

I do a lot of covers, actually, but not many are recorded well.

[quote name='Dragon Warrior' timestamp='1296789769' post='704678']
Ah, you covered one of my favorite songs by Neutral Milk Hotel :] On the contrary I think you did a pretty good job. Plus, if you're feeling self-conscious about your versions lacking in quality, just remember that style of music prospers in lo-fi haha ;]
[/quote]

I'm glad you like it! It's actually the most recent recording I've done with my new equipment, so it's probably one of the best. I mean that my other covers weren't recorded as well.