OtakuBoards

Those secret shames ...

Shinmaru

[s]Figured posting this thread in this area would be the best course of action, but feel free to expand beyond music/movies/TV since making equivalent threads in the video game and anime sections would be silly and redundant, I think.[/s] lol I'm dumb

Anyway! Many of us are experienced in our hobbies of choice -- whether they be movies, anime, video games or what have you -- but the beauty of our vice of choice is that no matter how much we consume, there is always more waiting just beyond the horizon, from the past, present and future. That includes super popular stuff that, for whatever reason, we just never got around to experiencing. This is the thread for airing out those staples of the medium in which everyone but us has partaken.

By the way, this stuff kills me in particular because as I've grown older, I've become much less of the type to avoid works that are widely beloved/acclaimed due to hype aversion. I genuinely want to immerse myself in things many people enjoy and feel what they feel when they watched it for the first time. Plus, I'm never pushed into watching anything, anyway; I watch stuff because I genuinely want to watch it. But sometimes, I just inadvertently avoid things even though I'm pretty sure I would enjoy them. (Which is why I went without seeing [b]Citizen Kane[/b] for such a long time.) I hate that. :(

I'll just focus on movies here, but I'll probably add other stuff later on ...

[b]A Christmas Story[/b]: I have no idea how in the hell I have gone so long without watching this, especially since it's on like 24/7 around the Christmas season. This was going to be the year that I finally saw it, but unfortunate circumstances put a stop to that. And I can't watch it outside of Christmas, because it just feels weird and dirty.

[b]It's a Wonderful Life[/b]: Another Christmas flick, this one the ultimate in schmaltzy holiday movies. But I can enjoy schmaltz as long as it is well done, so I doubt I'd have a problem with this. It's even my mom's favorite movie! Alas, I have yet to sit down and watch it.

[b]American History X[/b]: There's actually a specific reason for this: I just don't want to be traumatized by the infamous curb stomping scene. Just the thought of it frightens me.

[b]Lawrence of Arabia[/b], [b]Gone with the Wind[/b], [b]Dr. Zhivago[/b], et al: I have to [i]really[/i] be in the mood to sit down and watch these long ass epics, especially now that I have less time available to fart around. One day, though. One day.

That's enough for now. I can think of many more later. Let's hear from all of you!

EDIT: Haha, how in the hell did I post this in the video game forum?! I can't even blame the morning for this. Ah well, whatever, it works anywhere, but if someone could move the thread, that would be nice, too! Edited by Shinmaru

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Pretty much 90% of Disney movies in the past 20 years. I've made people weep with all the Disney movies I have yet to see, and I'm loathe to list them all here because of it. Let's just say that if you name it, I've probably not seen it. [I'll give a cheat sheet, though -- I have seen The Lion King, Princess and the Frog, and of course Tangled. Everything else is a crapshoot].There's no real particular reason I've not seen so many of them, either. I just never thought to ask to see them when I was growing up.

But what makes it even more bizarre was that I grew up on Radio Disney and Disney Channel, so I dunno wtf was up with me back then.

As for others...

[b]The Lord of the Rings Trilogy[/b]: Never read the books, nor would I really have the patience to sit through 9000 hours of movies. Not knocking the quality, but yeah.

[b]Any and all Harry Potter movies[/b]: Never was interested in the books, either, so no real reason for me to want to see any of the movies.

[b]Both Star Wars trilogies[/b]: Again, just sheer lack of interest. I [i]have[/i] seen the third movie from the prequel trilogy [in b4 inb4 "lol what prequel trilogy"], and that was only because I had a friend at the time that was fangirling over Hayden Christensen and wouldn't quit harping me about it. I barely even remember what happened.

I could make about fifty laundry lists with the stuff I've not seen, but I'll just stop there for now before I make any more people want to cry.[/font][/color]

[color="#006400"]I could probably write a short novel about these kinds of things if I put enough thought into it, but let's see ...

[b]My "Metallica" complex[/b]
I have a sort of mental block about getting into anything that has become wildly popular for very little reason. The average Metallica "fan" really only ever boasts songs like [i]Enter Sandman[/i], [i]Master of Puppets[/i] (actually a good song, though), or maybe [i]One[/i] before they've depleted the extent of their knowledge of the band. I think in my lifetime I've only ever met one person who was really into them, and it was actually sort of relieving to hear about the band from someone who is actually into the music and albums as a whole. He would ask what kind of music you were into, and then point out an album or certain songs that he thought you'd like based on your answer. Though I still haven't really given them much of a listen to this day.

[size="1"]There are probably a handful of other bands I choose not to listen simply because it seems like people think they are better than they really are. Nirvana is another victim of this for sure.[/size]

[b]Pretty much any [i]old[/i] classic movie[/b]
There's really no reason for this outside of laziness. Every once in a while I'll look up a 'new' one and watch it, but it's a slow progress. I think the most recent thing I've watched is [i]Breakfast at Tiffany's[/i], mainly because Audrey Hepburn was a total fox, lol. But yeah, [i]Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind, Some Like it Hot, Revel Without a Cause, Casablanca, Brazil,[/i] a variety of old horror movies, any James Bond movie pre-Pierce Brosnan. I have a book a I got for Christmas one year of '501 Must-See Movies,' so it's good to have a reference for when I'm in the mood, lol.

[size="1"]My exposure to music I think suffers a lot because of this sort of thing. I know there were plenty of bands in the past that were amazing, but I never get around to listening to them; or even if I manage to get an album or two I never really take the time to sit down and just let them play. I couldn't really name any off the top of my head, which doesn't help the problem. It's only when someone else brings them up that I think, "Oh yeah! I should get around to them."
[/size]

[b]Facebook[/b]
Bwuahaha, I don't think I'll ever be seduced by this thing. I used to be part of it back when it was a college-exclusive thing, but even then didn't use it a whole lot. Later, I ended up making a different account after it had been public for a while, but still really didn't get too involved. Since then I've frozen and had that account removed. I started another one recently only to find someone I didn't know how to contact any other way so I could talk to them about something, but haven't touched it since. The only thing I think I might use this site for is if I had a business or just something that had a larger following (like a blog or website or something), so I'd maybe make a Facebook page for that idea to make it easier to communicate with followers and attract more. Which sort of brings me to my next thing:

[b]Twitter/Flickr/Tumblr/etc[/b]
I've never gotten into any of these simply because of a lack of anything interesting to put there. Same goes for actually being a contributor to YouTube. My group of friends is depressingly small, and I have even less of a life. So even though I see how places like this could be fun or useful, I just don't really bring anything to them.[/color]

[B]Doctor Who[/B]: Despite the many, [I]many[/I] friends I have who dig this show and tell me on a regular basis, "ZOMG YOU MUST WATCH EET," I can't bring myself to do it. It looks vaguely interesting, but not interesting enough to trump all the other things I want to watch.

[B]Lolita[/B]: A lot of good friends and professors have told me this is a beautiful book. It probably is, but I still can't read it. The premise disturbs me too much.

[B]World of Warcraft[/B]: My brothers are [I]super[/I] into this game, and I can see how I might like it if I ever got around to playing it, but I'm bullheadedly opposed to playing it on principle. (Too many arguments over the computer as a result of this game. That, and it ate my brothers' souls.)

[quote name='Mistress Duck' timestamp='1297786481' post='705015'][B]Lolita[/B]: A lot of good friends and professors have told me this is a beautiful book. It probably is, but I still can't read it. The premise disturbs me too much.
[/quote]

Ah, that's a shame. It really is a brilliantly written book. Even if I had a million years, I couldn't write anything of that quality.

[quote name='Mistress Duck' timestamp='1297786481' post='705015']
[B]Doctor Who[/B]: Despite the many, [I]many[/I] friends I have who dig this show and tell me on a regular basis, "ZOMG YOU MUST WATCH EET," I can't bring myself to do it. It looks vaguely interesting, but not interesting enough to trump all the other things I want to watch. [/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I know how you feel. I genuinely gave it a shot, and I just couldn't get into it. It might be a case of [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny]Seinfeld is Unfunny[/url], but I don't know. I just could not get into it to save my life.

And now that I'm thinking of it...

[b]Mystery Science Theater 3000:[/b] I'm sorry. I tried. I really tried. I watched the movie, and about three or four episodes, and I just could [i]not[/i] get into this show. I enjoy riffing on terribad stuff as much as the next guy [I enjoy Retsupurae on Youtube, for example], but this show just did not resonate with me as much as it has for so many other people. I acknowledge its achievements and respect its fans, but I just couldn't get into it. It bored me.

And another that's probably going to get people mad at me:

[b]Heartcatch Precure:[/b] I'm sorry guys, but this anime just flat out does not interest me. I watched one episode some months ago, and it didn't do a whole lot for me. To my credit, I [i]am[/i] interested in other Precure series [such as Fresh Precure and Suite Precure, the latter of which just recently started airing in Japan], but nothing I've heard about Heartcatch has grabbed my interest. And it sucks because I actually feel [i]left out[/i] in regards to this one, but eh, what can you do?

And I'm just going to stop here before I turn this into the Hype Backlash/Aversion thread. XP As much as I hate that.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[quote name='Ducky' timestamp='1297786481' post='705015']
[B]World of Warcraft[/B]: My brothers are [I]super[/I] into this game, and I can see how I might like it if I ever got around to playing it, but I'm bullheadedly opposed to playing it on principle. (Too many arguments over the computer as a result of this game. That, and it ate my brothers' souls.)
[/quote]

[color="#000080"][font="Arial"][size="2"]Understandable, as over the course of five years and I had my soul eaten. I'd have to thank my buddy for my addiction to MMORPGs as he introduced me to Everquest back in '99. Since then I've played Dark Age of Camelot, City of Heros/Villains, Guild Wars, EVE Online and ultimately WoW. WoW probably had the strongest hold on me as I was a fan of the RTS games it was based on (and scintillating enviroment that enthralls you). I try to keep myself busy with other things so I don't fall off the wagon and go back for Cataclysm.[/size][/font][/color]

I've never seen a whole slew of movies most people my age were exposed to as children: ET, the Karate Kid (any of them), Back to the Future, the majority of those classic 80's movies like The Breakfast Club. There are so many I can't even remember them all. I don't know when I ever will watch them because I'm not very interested in watching anything most of the time.

I didn't watch Friends (I've seen a few episodes recently but that's it). I wasn't allowed to watch The Simpsons or Ren and Stimpy.

And when it comes to music, I frequently acquire albums of bands I know I like or think I should get into and let them sit on my computer for months before I even give a single track a listen. I have a lot of Beatles music I've never heard. I have every Murder by Death album but I've only really listened to one. And Neutral Milk Hotel is one of my favorite bands (In the Aeroplane is a masterpiece) but I still haven't paid attention to their first album.

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I'd definitely have to mention WoW, the principle reason being that I really don't have any interest in paying a subscription for a video game. But also, I got into Guild Wars very early on and, for me, it's just a far more interesting game. I also think it's a lot more beautiful (not so much in a raw graphics sense, but in an artistic sense).

One show I really loathe, actually, is Friends - yet everyone seems to love it so much. I've only seen a couple of episodes, but it just strikes me as really inane. One joke from the show still haunts me:

"Ouch!! I got ice in my eye!"

"Quick, put some ice on it!"

>_>;

Yeah. So, never quite got into that one.[/font]

• 1 month later...
Though I don't consider it a secret shame, I'm with ProMunkie on the whole [b]Facebook[/b] thing. I'll never join it, but not for my elitist snobby reasons (which I save for other things!), but I just like to keep my 'net homes to a minimum: theotaku, and here, and that's it really. I just can't keep up with multiple social networking sites.

[b]Halo[/b]: I never play games anymore, but it was around and in its prime when I did; but I never played it. I love those kinds of games, but for some odd unexplainable reason, I never did try it. I'll probably never play it now, since I've moved on to other things which demand all my time and effort. But it's still strange how I never ever played that one!

[b]Gone with the Wind[/b]: Another classic film I've not seen, and I'm not sure if I'll ever be interested in this. It just never grabbed me. Maybe when I'm ready for my rocking chair I'll give this one a go.

[b]Any Rynd[/b]: As a thinker, one would think I would have read her stuff already. It seems almost every one else has, but her stuff just doesn't interest me.

I was going to think of some anime, too, but then the floodgates opened: there's too many classics I've never watched, or I've only seen maybe one or two episodes from some series. I've only seen one episode of [b]Naruto[/b], which is strange since I've read and liked the manga. If I can think of more stuff, I'll add 'em! Edited by Pleiades Rising