OtakuBoards

Nintendo 3DS

James

[center][font=trebuchet ms][size=6][b]Nintendo 3DS[/b][/size][/font]
[img]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8292/aqua3ds.jpg[/img]
[hr=teal]80[/hr][/center]

[font=palatino linotype]I picked up an aqua 3DS last night (kind of randomly actually - somehow they managed to sell the thing around A$50 cheaper than EB Games). The last DS I bought was a DS Lite, so I completely skipped the DSi and the DS XL. I figured I'd wait until a full hardware refresh before buying another DS.

So far I have not actually bought any games. I think the only launch game I'd have bothered buying would be Pilotwings Resort or Ridge Racer 3D. But neither of those games were available at the stores I was in and the rest of the launch lineup really does nothing for me. I guess I'll just wait for now. :)

Anyway, before even buying this thing, I actually read quite a few reviews (Engadget, IGN and others). And I was kind of surprised to find that opinion is so split about whether or not the 3DS is actually a good platform. Some reviews were pretty harsh about the 3D effect and others really whinged about battery life. So I was pretty interested to actually get my hands on one and see for myself.

For all the detailed stuff you can pretty much view any of the million reviews out there. I thought I'd just cover the main points that really stick out when I use the system. I'll add more detail to these as I play a little more. :)

[list]
[*][b]Hardware:[/b] Very well-built and solid, with fantastic controls (the thumb disc just slightly edges out the PSP version). The physical design of the system is actually pretty ugly, I think. It doesn't look far off from a prototype, honestly. The glossy photos you've seen on the Internet are quite different to the real thing. It's nowhere near as unattractive as the original DS, but I view it as a big step down from the DS Lite and DS XL. I'm assuming that a 3DS Lite will arrive eventually.
[*][b]Hardware Features:[/b] The screens are a big improvement - particularly the top screen - and I am really pleased that Nintendo incorporated an SD card feature. You even get a 2GB SD card included, which is pretty nice. I also really like the concept behind the Notification Light; I think that will end up being a pretty cool little feature.
[*][b]Interface:[/b] Really fantastic menu system that incorporates some ideas from Wii and then adds a number of really strong features. The whole notifications system looks great and the ability to "multi-task" by pausing apps and going back to the Home screen is a very big step forward for Nintendo. Generally everything is very clean and easy to understand, without feeling stripped back. I think Nintendo are really moving in a good direction here - I'd love to see a Wii system update that introduces some of these ideas, too.
[*][b]3D Effect:[/b] It's as good as you can imagine, really. The 3D effect is every bit as good as you'll get when watching a 3D film at the theater. Viewing angle can be an issue, bit it's really not a huge concern unless someone else is watching your screen. The ability to adjust the "depth" of the effect is very welcome, because I don't think you'll want the full depth activated all the time. So far I'm really impressed with the effect and I think Nintendo is really signalling where 3D should be going in the future, for all devices (including TVs).
[*][b]Software:[/b] I haven't yet bought any games, but the pack-in software is pretty great. Face Raiders is heaps of fun and the AR Games are pretty outstanding in terms of technology. When you see the middle of your coffee table literally open up in front of you before releasing a dragon into the room...you will no doubt be impressed. I also loved the fact that as you move around, the objects remain in place - it feels like the game is literally in the real world. I can really see a lot of applications for this beyond the pack-in AR Games.
[/list]

I'll leave it there for now - no doubt I will add more detail to the above points as I go. But I thought it'd be a good idea to get this topic going so that all you other early adopters can share your thoughts (and your Friend Codes, too, which we can also put in the Hardwired Online topic eventually).

By the way, my 3DS Friend Code is [b]1719-3201-9906[/b].[/font]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I considered putting a 3DS on reserve with GAME a while back but a lot of what I read about the system put me off it (the battery life especially). Having bought a DSi XL to replace my old DS Lite last year there just wasn't enough new stuff in the handheld to actually justify the purchase and I've grown really accustomed to my nice big XL screen. May consider switching when the Ocarina of Time remake comes out but for now I think I'll wait for the system to drop in price, or for the "Lite" version to make its appearance.[/size][/font]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]When I read the reviews, many of them seemed quite negative. I have to admit, actually getting my hands on this system has been a pleasant surprise - it's a big step up from previous DS systems in numerous respects. Although the pre-loaded games don't demonstrate this to a huge degree, it's obvious that the 3DS is getting pretty close to Wii-like hardware capability.

Actually if you play the AR Games, I think you can see just how much power the machine has. Originally I thought that the game simply overlays images on a "real" backdrop (like a coffee table). That's true, but there's a lot more to it. The AR Games actually make your coffee table surface animate as well.

One example is where you're aiming your 3DS at the table's surface and a hole appears in the middle of the table. As you physically lean over it (all while pointing your 3DS at it), you can actually peer down into the hole and see a target at the bottom to shoot. But it looks like the hole is physically part of your table - the system actually manages to composite the imagery extremely well.

I think that element of 3DS is what I've been most impressed with so far, actually. Well, that and the fact that the 3D effect is actually genuinely good - I was getting the feeling it would suck, but it really doesn't at all.

Still, this system is all about potential. The launch lineup is not terribly good (except for Ridge Racer and Pilotwings, neither of which I could buy yesterday). I'm definitely excited about the new Super Mario 3DS title though. I don't know if you've seen any of the footage, but it looks pretty crazy.[/font]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I'm probably going to be asking for one of these later this month for my birthday, although I do admit that the launch lineup has me very disappointed. About the only title I'd really like is Super Street Fighter IV...but I already got that this past Christmas. If I had picked that up earlier, then maybe, but not so soon.

Otherwise, I'm still waiting for Paper Mario 3DS and Megaman Legends 3, although I have no idea when either of those are going to be released [the latter hasn't technically even been greenlit yet, so there's the possibility it may not even happen at all. Gonna stay hopeful, though].[/font][/color]

[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1301770721' post='706209']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I'm probably going to be asking for one of these later this month for my birthday, although I do admit that the launch lineup has me very disappointed. About the only title I'd really like is Super Street Fighter IV...but I already got that this past Christmas. If I had picked that up earlier, then maybe, but not so soon.

Otherwise, I'm still waiting for Paper Mario 3DS and Megaman Legends 3, although I have no idea when either of those are going to be released [the latter hasn't technically even been greenlit yet, so there's the possibility it may not even happen at all. Gonna stay hopeful, though].[/font][/color]
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]I think Paper Mario 3DS could be amazing. As I said earlier, my most-wanted game is definitely Super Mario 3DS. Who knows how long it will take for that to be released, though.

I discovered that Pilotwings and Ridge Racer aren't even available in Australia on launch! I can't believe it. I haven't checked the release date (I doubt it will be far off), but still...without even those titles, there's really very little reason to own a 3DS at this point. This is what I get for being an early adopter. :\[/font]

[color=#4B0082]I kind of got burned by buying my original DSâ??which I still have and use since I never did upgradeâ??only weeks before the DS Lite was announced, so I'm holding off for a while this time. Especially since there aren't any games I particularly want for it yet.

I'm not sure if I'll be willing to buy one before there's something out besides the OoT remake that I want, but OoT will most likely be my first game. I suppose it depends on how much they change outside of the graphics. If they increase the number of enemies and improve the combat, I'll snap it up right away.[/color]

I got a chance to play SF4 on the 3DS and was rather impressed with the graphics, however as a hand-held device it just seems bulky and uncomfortable, even for my large hands. You certanly wouldn't put it in your pocket, and the game cartridges are cool and tiny, but I will never bring more than one game anywhere. I may be a little byaste though since I still enjoy taking my Gameboy SP with me on long travels, however I doubt anyone could argue that it is one of the best hand-held gaming devices.

As far as future games go, all I can say is that it is Nintendo... there has never been a Nintendo device that hasn't had a great lineup.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a 3DS and I have to say Im very impressed. I love everything about it. The battery life really isn't that bad either. It's been about the same as my PSP. I never have my brightness all the way up. The highest brightness setting is completely unnecessary unless you're in mid-summer-sunlight. I usually leave it on 2 or 3. People complain about the launch titles, but personally, I love Lego Star Wars and Samurai Warriors. I'm a huge Koei fan, so a Koei launch title was a huge plus for me. Btw, Megaman legends 3 has just been confirmed as a launch title for the Virtual Console. Sure, there aren't a lot of games coming out in the NEAR future, but I figured I'd end up buying it when OoT came out anyway. Why wait? And it was a nice change that Nintendo actually manufactured enough consoles to avoid a shortage. And also, if you have read up on the 3DS graphical capabilities, then you know that it is slightly more capable than the Wii. Yes, it could run Metroid: Other M and Moster Hunter Tri. The 3DS has a very bright future, and I'm very much looking forward to the inevitably awesome library of games that come out for it.

• 3 weeks later...