OtakuBoards

Video Game Remakes

Magus

I was reading an article at IGN talking about remakes, and I'm curious about how everyone feel about them. I mean there's been quite a few remakes that've been released or announced. From Zelda to Metal Gear Solid, it seems like everything is being ported to something else. I have no issues with remakes. Being the graphic freak that I am, I'd like to see some of those old titles get a visual upgrade (Chrono Trigger would do nicely).

Also, just an observation, but people seem to jump for joy about Zelda and Star Fox remakes, but when Final Fantasy 7 always come up there tend to be a lot of mixed opinions.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Depends really, I don't might straight ports to say portable systems from previous generation consoles as they're still working off of roughly the same technology. If something was to be remade for a newer home system I would prefer to see maybe a bit of expansion, new features, etc so long as it was in-keeping with the spirit of the game itself. I like remakes generally speaking, it lets new players play games that were big perhaps years before they ever even got into gaming.[/size][/font]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I pretty much agree with Gavin. Generally I have no interest in straight ports from older platforms, unless they are part of some sort of Virtual Console service (which should mean that they are much cheaper than a full-priced new game).

But if a game is "remade" and somehow updated/improved from the original, then I think that can be pretty worthwhile. It's good for people who never owned the original game (I'm sure that a lot of people who buy Ocarina of Time 3D will be in that camp) and it can be good for people who did own the original (OoT 3D has had a pretty substantial graphics overhaul and the addition of Master Quest is welcome). Some games don't translate well in remake form, but I think it depends on the individual game really (I'm thinking about Turtles in Time, which was a pretty awful remake - it didn't have the feeling of the original game).

In terms of Final Fantasy VII versus other remakes... I haven't really noticed any major difference as compared to other remakes, except that more people seem to want a Final Fantasy VII remake than a remake of various other titles. There might be controversy about it, but I notice that a lot of people get very tired of Nintendo re-relasing old titles.

I personally don't really care what any company re-releases, so long as they continue to work on new projects as well.

A Final Fantasy VII remake would be great, but I think it depends very much on how seriously the game is overhauled. If the translation was improved and if the graphics were completely re-drawn (not in terms of art style, but just in terms of resolution and quality) then I think it'd be pretty worthwhile.[/font]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I think the main problem with the FFVII remake ordeal is that, unlike stuff such as, say, Zelda or Pokemon [save for some mild references to past gens in the latter], is that we'd have the Compilation to deal with. How much of that would be included or excluded in some form or fashion, if at all?

I myself am kind of split on the matter. It could definitely use a new script, yes, and maybe a graphical update [although I personally find the graphics and environments kinda charming], but I'm not sure I want any allusions to the compilation in it. Maybe some Crisis Core references [since that's the only one I actually liked], but if Genesis, who I absolutely [i]despise[/i], came within a mile of a remake...I...would not be very happy.

And I find it interesting that you mention people getting tired of Nintendo re-releases, James - I've noticed the exact opposite. Well, I can see a case for that for the 3DS, but most remakes that have come out have been due to fan demand. Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver are a prime example of that - they came out almost exclusively due to an [i]extremely[/i] high fan demand, and we got our wish. They put a lot of love into the games, too, so it's basically one giant love letter from Nintendo and Game Freak to the fans.

But yeah. I'm generally fine with remakes as well, as long as the company produces more original stuff as well.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1308723637' post='708067']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I think the main problem with the FFVII remake ordeal is that, unlike stuff such as, say, Zelda or Pokemon [save for some mild references to past gens in the latter], is that we'd have the Compilation to deal with. How much of that would be included or excluded in some form or fashion, if at all?

I myself am kind of split on the matter. It could definitely use a new script, yes, and maybe a graphical update [although I personally find the graphics and environments kinda charming], but I'm not sure I want any allusions to the compilation in it. Maybe some Crisis Core references [since that's the only one I actually liked], but if Genesis, who I absolutely [i]despise[/i], came within a mile of a remake...I...would not be very happy.

And I find it interesting that you mention people getting tired of Nintendo re-releases, James - I've noticed the exact opposite. Well, I can see a case for that for the 3DS, but most remakes that have come out have been due to fan demand. Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver are a prime example of that - they came out almost exclusively due to an [i]extremely[/i] high fan demand, and we got our wish. They put a lot of love into the games, too, so it's basically one giant love letter from Nintendo and Game Freak to the fans.

But yeah. I'm generally fine with remakes as well, as long as the company produces more original stuff as well.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]In terms of Nintendo re-releases, I would say that re-releasing old games and charging fairly hefty prices is one of the biggest complaints you may find about Nintendo. A lot of people took issue, for example, with the Virtual Console service for this reason. In some cases the prices are relatively high but the emulation quality is quite poor.

I think that the people who complain about constant re-releasing of old games from Nintendo tend not to be huge Nintendo players themselves, but it's something I notice as being a strong criticism from gamers (at least, when gamers [i]do[/i] criticise Nintendo, this is often cited).

In terms of FFVII, I'm not very familiar with the compilation stuff (although I do own Crisis Core), but personally I would [i]just[/i] want to see Final Fantasy VII dealt with on its own terms. The cost and time involved in updating that game would be enormous - I think a lot of gamers don't realise what is actually involved. It would be very much like creating an entirely new game.

I think a lot of gamers - particularly those in the Americas - would be pretty happy with at least a better translation. The PAL territories got a slightly better version, apparently, which is why I think translation doesn't seem to be such a problem in those regions.

I figure if they improved the translation, re-draw the pre-rendered backgrounds in high definition, update the character models and [i]maybe[/i] if they offer us fully-orchestrated music rather than MIDI, that might just be enough for a lot of people. Beyond that though, I'm sure there's plenty you could add/change if you wanted to.[/font]

[color=#4B0082]I like remakes when they actually add to or improve on the original game in a substantial way. Metroid: Zero Mission is my favorite example of a good remake. It took the original Metroid, which hasn't aged very well, and updated it with modern Metroid game play and level design to make what almost seems like an entirely new game.

On the other hand, if a remake only makes the graphics prettier, I generally don't care. I want improvements that make the game more fun to [i]play,[/i] not to look at. This is why I'm not scrambling to get a 3DS and OoT 3D. Though the inclusion of Master Quest would be exciting if I didn't already have it on a GCN disc.

Straight ports I see as mainly a convenience thing. Like, I bought both Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Mario World on the GBA for $30 each even though I owned the original SNES versions because I wanted portable versions and also because dragging out the SNES is a pain. And I played both of them to death on the GBA, so that money was well spent in my opinion.

Regarding FFVII, I think the thing I'd want most from a remake is greater differentiation between characters in battle. As it is, Aerith and Cait Sith are the only two that are significantly different from the rest of the bunch. That makes combat very bland most of the time, even in comparison to other FF games that use the ATB system. Also, greater penalties for equipping materia would be nice for keeping everyone from being able to do everything all at once.[/color]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I think I do prefer remakes that add something substantial, but honestly... if I had to choose between A Link to the Past (original, poorly emulated Virtual Console version) versus A Link to the Past (re-drawn/upscaled for 1080p) then I'd definitely choose the latter. So I guess it really depends on what is being offered in the first place.

I will buy Ocarina of Time 3D, simply because I would like to own OoT on a handheld. I think it's a game I'd enjoy playing when I'm on the plane and that sort of thing. The graphics improvements are a nice bonus, because they actually bring the game a lot closer to the original concept art (something that the Nintendo 64 was physically unable to achieve). In some respects, I feel like OoT 3D is the "Director's Cut", in the sense that it sits closer to the designers' original intentions. And for me, that's quite valuable.

And actually, on that note, I'm [i]very[/i] keen to get Metal Gear Solid 3 on 3DS as well. And that's simply because a) MGS 3 is by far my favourite MGS title and b) I would really love to have a portable version of it. And to have a portable version that is not a pale, scaled back console port is pretty nice, to boot.[/font]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]In terms of remaking FFVII, I could see the sheer popularity of that game among our generation of gamers making it a viable project for SE but again it becomes a question of how exactly do you modernise a game like that (does a hugely popular character like Vincent stay an unlockable side character or do you bring him into the main plot ?) and do you change elements of the graphical style when modernising it to give the game a different feel along with new features like the combat system. As James said you also have to take in the other side stories since released in terms of what you rerelease. If given the choice I'd personally rather see full console remake of FFVII as opposed to moving it to the 3DS or other portable systems, but the same could be said of any of the earlier FFs as I don't do a whole pile of handheld gaming.

Also in complete agreement about MG3, one of the best videogames I've ever played. [/size][/font]