OtakuBoards

Only you guys could help me on this....

Pumpkin

Project. All I want is a banner that says "Celestial Hills Chronicle". With any of the pictures below. I want it wide and tall like a header not a signature. Not sure specific specs but kinda big.

Here are photo links

http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/151/a965c4e87a2b4a818f0e910f88c9e129/l.jpg

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/128/2654b73e4f1946dc85f2ca6ee340d27b/l.jpg

If you can try and make it look professional/classy like :) YAY I would be super duper happy

[color=#0000ff]I've been playing around in Photoshop with the two images but having no idea what it's for (as well as being pretty bad at coming up with this stuff to begin with) makes this a bit difficult. Can you shed some light as to its purpose or at least hint at a bit of a desired size?[/color]

Hey Petie. Actually its for a online gaming forum a "Newsletter" Type feel. So just a big banner would be sufficiant if you catch what I mean by that? I hope so sorry to confuse anyone. Just try and do the best you can with it. I'm actually not really picky at this point.

[color=#0000ff]I have my sample on a computer at home (I'm at work right now). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to want to turn on remotely so I won't be able to access it until later this afternoon. I'll show you then but in the mean time, I'll just let you know that it's a fairly simple combination of the two images, the first on the left, second on the right. I edited the right one slightly to make it fit a bit better, cropped everything to the same height, added the text, and then a simple but decent looking border. If this sounds okay, great. If not, let me know if you have anything else in mind and I'll see what I can do :)[/color]

[color=#0000ff][b]Edit:[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff]Here's what I have so far. It's likely much larger than you need but I figured we could shrink it later if necessary.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]I'm definitely open to constructive criticism and/or requests![/color]

[color=#0000ff]I'd like to point out that I said I was open to [i]constructive[/i] criticism. Pointing out something that sucks (multiple times, after I already said that the font was chosen randomly) while offering no suggestions for improvement really isn't helping.[/color]

okok. I'm used to romping around KHI being an asshole. the first thing about fonts is that they should never be picked randomly. the font needs to go with whatever you're making. so for this banner, you already got a lot going on with the images being used, I'd go with a fairly basic font with maybe a few flourishes. maybe. but for big headers, a basic font tends to work well. I don't mind drop shadows being used if they're necessary but here, it's really not. emboss is also something that's kind of unnecessary. something you might want to play with is a soft gradient overlay, like a white to light pink. drop shadows look pretty nice with this if they're minimal. I'd also suggest using some color adjustment layers on the images to make the colors pop a bit more since they're kind of dull and flat right now. I can do all that stuff if you want to send me the psd later.

[color=#0000ff]Thanks! That was much more helpful ^_^ I tried to do the things you said. I'm still not sure what specific font would go well with this but I do agree that this one looks better. I made one with and one without a drop-shadow on the text for comparison's sake but I like the one with it more. Definitely open to more suggestions though.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]And while I appreciate the offer of doing it for me, I'd rather try to get better with this kind of thing myself so I want to at least attempt this stuff on my own before resorting to that![/color]

if there's one thing in the world of typography that irks me is when caps and lowercase are mixed. for this one, I'd say that you should go all caps. the font choice is okay, not spectacular. I'm pretty sure it's the default for illustrator? keep playing around with them and post the ones you like most. as far as the colors go, they look like they're not in the same picture. obviously they're not the same picture, but the point is to make them look like they're the same. the image on the left looks like it has some weird gaussian blur on it and it's pretty contrasted, versus the one on the right that looks a lot sharper and is dull. are you doing adjustment layers or just applying the effects to the actual image layers? if you're doing the latter, shame on you! they're okay to use on specific layers when you're trying to create the same atmosphere in both images. you can see that the left image has more purple/red tones with blue undertones versus the right that has blues and purples with blue undertones. it's important to get them to match a bit so that way, when you do adjustment layers, the colors even out. the downside to adjustment layers is that they do take a lot of practice to master, which is why I offered to do it to begin with.

[color=#0000ff]I was going with what Pumpkin quoted for the way it was typed though I suppose all caps could look good as well.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]The font is Trebuchet MS - I'm not sure if it's the default elsewhere. I'm open to an actual suggestion for a font.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]Color-wise, that can get tricky here. All I did was bump up the colors with an adjustment layer. Adjusting one side separately from the other is going to do weird things to the main background color though, which does match between the two images. I'm sure there's more I can do with the adjustment layers themselves but this is well beyond my normal Photoshop work so it's going to be a bit of a learning experience. Suggestions there?[/color]

[color=#0000ff]And yes, I figured that's why you were offering but you can't master anything without practice so teaching is welcome (and appreciated) but I'd rather do the actual work myself.[/color]

[quote name='Petie' timestamp='1343832119' post='712258']
[color=#0000ff]I was going with what Pumpkin quoted for the way it was typed though I suppose all caps could look good as well.[/color][/quote]

artistic license is a beautiful thing.

[color=#0000ff][quote]The font is Trebuchet MS - I'm not sure if it's the default elsewhere. I'm open to an actual suggestion for a font.[/quote][/color]

It just looks like myriad from illustrator. regardless, it looks like a default font and that's a no-no. I might try gotham or arial black but I don't know what fonts you have and I can almost guarantee you don't have all of mine so just play around.

[color=#0000ff][quote]Color-wise, that can get tricky here. All I did was bump up the colors with an adjustment layer. Adjusting one side separately from the other is going to do weird things to the main background color though, which does match between the two images. I'm sure there's more I can do with the adjustment layers themselves but this is well beyond my normal Photoshop work so it's going to be a bit of a learning experience. Suggestions there?[/quote][/color]

... no it doesn't. one is black and one is light blue. the left has a dark purple blue background (at least where the light hits) and the other is light blue. that's an easy fix. and adjustment layers aren't a "one and done" type of deal. usually you have to use 3+ in order to get things to work together in harmony, and not 3+ of the same type of layer. I'm talking b/c, saturation, selective color, curves, photo filters, gradient maps, etc. I already told you how to make the colors even. the beauty of adjustment layers is that they're masked, so you can erase parts of them and create that harmony. and that's why I said adjust the individual images first. you're not gonna make them match if you don't selectively change the colors

[color=#0000ff][quote]And yes, I figured that's why you were offering but you can't master anything without practice so teaching is welcome (and appreciated) but I'd rather do the actual work myself.[/quote][/color]

well there you go then. I told you what to do. I'm not going to tell you what values on selective color you should change but when you actually open up all the menus, it becomes fairly easy to learn. Edited by Katie!

Okay if you got my PM petie sorry I didn't see all this! It's the perfect size. Wow a debate over my banner? Atleast you guys are responding (: Thank you!

I also wanted to add another request if possible? Is there a chance I can get whatever font/color you made for banner and just get the words just as big?

For example for the first one, I'd like one that says "Table of Contents". Then I can see what it looks like. Also background should be a darkblue...not white. If possible thanks. OR transparent. Not sure if you guys can do that or not. Edited by Pumpkin

[color=#0000ff]I'm glad you like it! ^_^ I removed the white background, as requested, and left it transparent. Let me know if this isn't what you meant though.

I also attached your "Table of Contents" in the same font style. The font is 60 pt Trebuchet MS and the color is a gradient from a light pink (#FFBCE8) to white. I can make others if this works - I'd just need a list.[/color]

• 3 weeks later...
Okay so here are some more words that I needed...ummmm..let's see...more to be added when i can think of somethin'

Featured Story
Entertainment Tonight
Gossip Corner
Upcoming events
Ask Miss Velika
Fashionista 101
Special Thanks
Player of the Month
Guild of the Month

More to come...but for now if you could do those that would be great