OtakuBoards

Time Travel

Gavin

[color=teal]Yes I have decided to destroy everyones sanity by asking themselves is it possbile to travel forward or back through time.

I am all ready well versed in the subject )no i am not a quantum physicist) but i studied the idea so can you ??[/color]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Red XIII [/i]
[B][color=teal](no i am not a quantum physicist[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=darkblue][b]too bad.... because I [i]am[/i] a quantum physicist... well... maybe not.. but I study physics at uni so I know what I'm talking about. In light of time travel I'm gonna give it a definite maybe. OK... here goes... most people know of the most famous time travel paradox around 'What if I decided to go back in time and kill my dad... if you actually try to think about this you just end up going crazy, so there's only two possible solutions as far as I can see- EITHER you can go back in time/forward, but what you do has no effect on your timeline, or you can't go back in time.... or perhaps you can, and you can create a kind of paradox and then god only knows what will happen. That is my opinion... I'm afraid nothing is known on this area though so it's pure speculation.[/b][/COLOR]

Here's a thought I thought while I was in the bathroom '_'; :toothy:

Anyway, I thought...there are three different timelines,
|past|...........|present|.......|future|
|.......|........|............|.......|..........|

According to my theory, to travel through time,all you have to do is get out of your timeline,and that while we are experincing the present, our counterparts are expirincing the past...(ummm...the little dots are NOTHING, Imagine it as ummm....NOTHING!)

:twitch: crazy rantings on web boards can't be used as evidence to admit me to an insane asylum can they?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by () [/i]
[B]Here's a thought I thought while I was in the bathroom '_'; :toothy:

Anyway, I thought...there are three different timelines,
|past|...........|present|.......|future|

According to my theory, to travel through time,all you have to do is get out of your timeline,and that while we are experincing the present, our counterparts are expirincing the past...(ummm...the little dots are NOTHING, Imagine it as ummm....NOTHING!)

:twitch: crazy rantings on web boards can't be used as evidence to admit me to an insane asylum can they? [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=darkblue][b]I've given that some thought and all I can say is... you lost me there... three different timelines? why only three? Why not an infinite number each with an exact time displacement (i.e. each one is at a slightly different time to all the others... plus, how do people in the past timeline know that they're in the past... surely it's their present, so they must have a past timeline, too, which makes 4 timelines... follow this kind of logic and you'll either conclude that an infinite number of timelines are needed, or you'll become very confused....[/b][/COLOR] :drunk:

Ah yes, the infamous "timetravel" topic... Splendid...

The way I see it, there is no physical way to go back or forward in time. Forget Einstein's whole relativity thing, that's a bunch of phooey. Even if it is possible, the technology needed to achieve time travel is so beyond us, we'll have more past of the galaxy to explore than the future... Y'know what I'm sayin?

:nope: :nope: :nope: :nope:

Didn't think so.;)

[COLOR=deeppink]Here's my theory... Not a long one, and it sounds better in my head than anywhere else.

If time travel is possible, than you [i]can't change the past.[/i] Because you've already gone and done it. Gah, too hard to explain...

The only exception to this rule is death. You can kill someone who hasn't already been killed...[/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Nerdsy [/i]
[B][COLOR=deeppink]Here's my theory... Not a long one, and it sounds better in my head than anywhere else.

If time travel is possible, than you [i]can't change the past.[/i] Because you've already gone and done it. Gah, too hard to explain...

The only exception to this rule is death. You can kill someone who hasn't already been killed...[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

Not to contradict my own view, but if one could travel to the past it's [b]very[/b] possible to change something. For example, you could travel back to 3rd period and re-take your biology test, and then anything after that would be different from the original timeline.

Man, this topic [b]has[/b] destroyed my sanity... Time to pull out the ol' straightjacket...

[color=royalblue]I actually recently watched a documentary about "exploring the limits of science" and where science would be in a hundred years or more.

Time travel is physically possible -- we just don't have the technology to achieve it.

As one scientist said "Usually, if we find something to be physically possible, we are able to achieve it at some point".

The same can be said for anti-gravity technology (which is currently being researched).

It was a very interesting documentary...I found it fascinating, in terms of what science can potentially achieve.[/color]

[size=1]From what I know about Time Travel there is no way to safely travel in time without splitting the space/time continium (sp?) and the universe itself into a million pieces.

In order to travel through time one must create a wormhole in two seperate points in time and space. unfortunantly the only way to do this is by generating the power of an exploding star, so it is not likely to happen anytime soon. You must do this twice, one in your original point and one at your destination. Technically the energy will create a vortex, which means you can jump in on one end and instantly show up on the other. This is just a theory though, since it obviously canot be tested.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shyguy [/i]
[B][size=1]From what I know about Time Travel there is no way to safely travel in time without splitting the space/time continium (sp?) and the universe itself into a million pieces.

[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]What the..? We're talking about real life, not Back to the Future. lol :D

Actually, the reason scientists have said that a wormhole is necessary is because currently, in order to travel in time, one would need to travel [i]faster[/i] than the speed of light. However, there is no object which can travel faster than the speed of light.

Thus, another way must be found.

The theory of a wormhole is that it literally rips a hole in the fabric of space.

The reason a wormhole would be a safe alternative is that its cousin (a black hole) is not a tunnel...meaning that if you actually went inside and hit the singularity, who knows what would happen -- but in any case, you'd be destroyed long before you got there.

So yeah, the wormhole theory relates to travelling great distances (millions of light years) in only a few months of "real time". The worm hole is unique in this sense because like a black hole, the worm hole actually bypasses time itself.[/color]

[size=3][color=blue]

I have two views on this subject, not long.

First view is as just me:

Yes, I think it is very possible, I am only 12 so I have no clue on how it can be done but this is why I think it is possible:

If we can go forward like we are doing right now why couldn't we go back?

Second View as a Christian:

As a Christian I think no, just because no one on this planet is god.

That is messed up don't you think, I am debating against myself lol! But that is how I feel.[/size][/color]

Time travel possible? Yes. Good idea? No. If you went back in time just being there could change the rest of time indefinantaly. I think in the future they have discovered how to travel through time but they where smart enough not to do it.

Guest Apokronos
Yes, you can travel BACK in time, but not into the future, the future isnt set up, you make it as you go along. The only way to travel back in time would be to exceed the speed of light, which is actually easy contrary to what quantum engineers say. Its simple, first you need a capsule, a VERY powerful black hole and a huge amount of desolate space. The black hole would have to be spaced Extremely far apart away from the capsule(you would have to make precise calculations). Heres how it works: The capsule begin to be pulled by the gravity of the black hole, and it begins to gain speed. Its at such a distance that the gravity increases as it gets closer and the capsule goes faster. Eventually, it reachs the speed of light and turns into energy (E=Mc2), the energy is still pulled by the black hole, and eventually it goes faster then the speed of light and travels back in time, so you dont have to worry about the black hole pulling the energy in. The only problem is that you would continue to travel back in time at an Unknown rate unless you could slow down. The reason scientists said you couldnt travel to the speed of light or faster is because as you approach the speed of light, the mass of the object gains weight, thus requiring even more energy to push it. But with my method it works out.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Apokronos [/i]
[B]Heres how it works: The capsule begin to be pulled by the gravity of the black hole, and it begins to gain speed. Its at such a distance that the gravity increases as it gets closer and the capsule goes faster. Eventually, it reachs the speed of light and turns into energy (E=Mc2), the energy is still pulled by the black hole, and eventually it goes faster then the speed of light and travels back in time, so you dont have to worry about the black hole pulling the energy in. The only problem is that you would continue to travel back in time at an Unknown rate unless you could slow down. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]The problem with that theory is that all matter drawn into the black hole condenses at the point of the singularity.

I'm not sure what the exact mass is, but a teaspoon full of matter focused at that point would weigh something like a million times the mass of the Earth.

Moreover, a black hole's gravity is so strong that it not only sucks in matter, light and sound...but it also distorts time itself.

The event horizon is powerful enough to completely warp these elements -- thus, no man-made craft could even get near the hole...no matter how fast it was going. Because it would still be "spaghettified" (a term used by scientists to describe the warping effect on matter when entering a black hole).

A worm hole is a much more likely proposition, because it has a known ending and entrance.

[/color]

Guest Apokronos
Thats why I said an extremely far distance. When the capsule went faster than the speed of light, it would still be very far away from the singualarity. And when it travels back in time it wouldnt be around the singualarity. I said it would suck in energy, thats what makes it go faster than the speed of light. You cant suck in sound, only the medium in which they travel in.

[B]Thats why I said an extremely far distance. When the capsule went faster than the speed of light, it would still be very far away from the singualarity. And when it travels back in time it wouldnt be around the singualarity. I said it would suck in energy, thats what makes it go faster than the speed of light. You cant suck in sound, only the medium in which they travel in. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Ahh I see. So you're talking about using the black hole as an accelerator? As in, the space craft would not actually fly [i]into[/i] the hole? That makes more sense.

Although, the black hole actually [i]does[/i] suck in sound -- it physically absorbs sound waves. This is something that a prominent space researcher in America was talking about. I find it incredible that the black hole can also bend and twist time itself...that just demonstrates the incredible power it wields....[/color]

Guest Apokronos
Thank you for understanding. :) Ive read other people's theories on how to travel throgh black holes, and so far Ive found one that might work. The theory speaks of an artificial "doughnut shaped" rotating singularity. When the object gets near it, it goes through the hole and doesnt get sucked into the black hole, but passes through. Theres also the "cosmic" string theory, but Ill save that for another day.

[B]Thank you for understanding. :) Ive read other people's theories on how to travel throgh black holes, and so far Ive found one that might work. The theory speaks of an artificial "doughnut shaped" rotating singularity. When the object gets near it, it goes through the hole and doesnt get sucked into the black hole, but passes through. Theres also the "cosmic" string theory, but Ill save that for another day. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]I'm really interested in spacey stuff. Some of the facts about space are so incredible that they are literally incomprehensible to the human mind.

Black holes are particularly interesting...as they are such an unknown entity.[/color] :)

[FONT=century gothic]It intrigues me....I don't have the effort to understand all the possibilities--or whether some things even are that--but it does intrigue me. More as a potential story than anything else, I'm afraid...i do love writing time travel stories....[/FONT]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cera [/i]
[B][FONT=century gothic]It intrigues me....I don't have the effort to understand all the possibilities--or whether some things even are that--but it does intrigue me. More as a potential story than anything else, I'm afraid...i do love writing time travel stories....[/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Yeah, the whole idea of going back in time and changing something and seeing what the effects are, etc...it's incredibly weird to think about that if it were real.

Even in a story, it allows for so much creativity. [/color]

Einstein said that time is relative, and as this theory is yet to be proven untrue, from his Theory of Relativity the following hypothesis has been drawn.

If you take identical twins, and send one of them in a spacecraft around the sun, and the other remains on earth, tthen when the spacecraft twin returns to earth he will be younger than the one who remained. I guess this is a form of time travel....

There is also a book by Michael Crighton, of Jurassic Park fame, which is based on some of the latest time travel theories, which he discusses at the end of the book. It involves scanning humans at the atomic level and transporting these signals through "bubbles" miniscule gaps in the fabric of the space/time continuum. Then the person is then spat out by the 'reasemmbly' machine on the other side, which prtesumably was sent ahead of them. It sound interesting, and is much more detailed than i have explained, and also a great deal more plausible

Lastly, why haven't there been any time travellers yet? Because if it's been invented then surely they'll have returned already....maybe it's because we aren't interesting enough.

[color=green]Our technology is nothing near as advanced as it needs to be to travel to the past/future. I don't think there is any [i]physical[/i] way to travel to the past/future. Though I do believe there is a way, [i]mentally[/i].

You know, maybe if you're in a comma, that might be a way of travelling through time....? Maybe when you die, you could be passing through to the next timeline.....?

.....Eh, don't mind me, I'm just trying to make sense... :toothy:[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by asar [/i]
[B]Einstein said that time is relative, and as this theory is yet to be proven untrue, from his Theory of Relativity the following hypothesis has been drawn.

If you take identical twins, and send one of them in a spacecraft around the sun, and the other remains on earth, tthen when the spacecraft twin returns to earth he will be younger than the one who remained. I guess this is a form of time travel....
[/B][/QUOTE]

First point there is correct, time is relative, but the example of the two twins, known as the Twin Paradox, is not actually a form of time travel. What Einstein proved with his theories of relativity is that time is a dimension that is not independant from space. He proved that time is all dependant on your inertial frame, if you move very fast, time will appear to go faster than if you remained still, hence if one of the twins travels around the sun (note: this must be done at speeds near to the speed of light) then more time appears to have elapsed for the twin that stayed still. We can argue about the fact that the stationary twin did not actually stay still, being on a moving planet, but that is irrelavant. The absolute position (Position relative to the universe) is unimportant, only the relative speeds matter. Anyway, my point is, this isn't actually a form of time travel, but a matter of perspective. Einstein also proved that there is no real absolute time, as we have already proven that time is dependant on other things.

[color=royalblue]Another interesting thing Einstein said: If you travel away from a clock at the speed of light, the arms would appear to stand still -- thus, time will have appeared to stop.

Also, by putting time measuring instruments on spacecraft, NASA have actually shown that when astronauts come back to earth, they are actually a few seconds [i]younger[/i], meaning, they haven't aged as quickly, due to the speed that they are travelling around the earth.

I found that to be especially interesting. :)[/color]