OtakuBoards

Time Travel

Gavin

Ouch, that should have been a slap in the face. You have a point Deus, but let me say something. I am neutral in this argument, but here's my 2 Cents worth.

If mass increases as you get closer to the speed of light, therefore slowing you down, couldn't there be someway to decrease the mass to the same mass that light has? If that is possible[ this is totally speculation and theory mind you] you could go the speed of light, and Time travel might be possible through that expierement. Yes or No?

Oh, btw Apokronos, I suggest you be respectfull to somebody who's intellect has proved you wrong more than twice now. Stubbornesss will get you nowhere. If you would do what he said, and find some documentation that will back up your theories and claims, then maybe this community will beileve you, but saying "Mr. Moron is giving me a headache" or something to that effect, will just want everybody else to smack you upside the head with a 2x4.

Yes, you can quote me on that.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vegitto4 [/i]
[B]
If mass increases as you get closer to the speed of light, therefore slowing you down, couldn't there be someway to decrease the mass to the same mass that light has? If that is possible[ this is totally speculation and theory mind you] you could go the speed of light, and Time travel might be possible through that expierement. Yes or No?
[/B][/QUOTE]

umm... I don't think so... because light has no mass... the problem is that mass can't simply be reduced... weight is another matter, weight is dependant on gravity, but mass depends on the number of atomic nucleons, and other such particles... essentially... weight is dependant on gravity.. mass depends on how much matter is there.. so the only way to reduce the mass is to nothing is for there to be nothing there.. pretty much... and I don't think you'd want to be reduced to nothing, right ;) ..

as for Apokronos.. I've proven my point. I know it is right. If he isn't even gonna back his claims up, I don't even care what he says..

Guest Apokronos
Backed your claims up? Ok, my turn. I cant back my claims up. And neither could the other famous scientists that existed. Humans think that they have a good idea of what happens in the universe, but truly they know NOTHING. I cant back up my claims until I experiment more. Your too obediant to the laws of physics. They can be broken. Way back people said we couldnt go faster than sound, but we did. Trust me, one day there will be time travel, and there will be new physics laws, new equations, and new concepts. Until we know everything that exists, we cant actualy argue on this topic. So act your age and end the topic, your only 1 year older than me, but you keep on pursuing this topic. While Im trying to end it. Im studying at a university too, so dont pull that " i know more than you" bullshit. Lets just be mature and forget about our fighting. Or if you want to be an infant you can continue. Your choice.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Apokronos [/i]
[B]\

Oh yeah, so your saying that the mass just "magically" appears?

*just had to throw that in* [/B][/QUOTE]

Umm.. no.. the point I was trying to make is that you can't just reduce the [i]mass[/i] to nothing, unlike the weight, so that wouldn't work.

[B]Backed your claims up? Ok, my turn. I cant back my claims up. And neither could the other famous scientists that existed. Humans think that they have a good idea of what happens in the universe, but truly they know NOTHING. I cant back up my claims until I experiment more. Your too obediant to the laws of physics. They can be broken. Way back people said we couldnt go faster than sound, but we did. Trust me, one day there will be time travel, and there will be new physics laws, new equations, and new concepts. Until we know everything that exists, we cant actualy argue on this topic. So act your age and end the topic, your only 1 year older than me, but you keep on pursuing this topic. While Im trying to end it. Im studying at a university too, so dont pull that " i know more than you" bullshit. Lets just be mature and forget about our fighting. Or if you want to be an infant you can continue. Your choice. [/B][/QUOTE]

The other famous scientists couldn't back their claims up?? Einstein did.. even if just with equations, but eventually he was proven right. Newton did, with experimental evidence. Feynmann did. But you see, you can't just make a theory without evidence, because a lot of the time, scientists set out to prove one thing and end up finding another entirely..

You're right, maybe one day there will be time travel (maybe, and if you think that there definitely will be, then you're more arrogant than I thought) and one day, there [i]will[/i] be new laws of physics, but until then, we have to go by what the present ones state. So far they've explained a lot. Not everything, but a lot.

Basically, you don't experiment to prove a theory, you experiment to see if it's right. And don't give me that 'Humans know nothing' speech. Do you really think that I believe that we know everything? We only see in 3 dimensions, 4 if you count time, but apparantly many scientists believe that the are more. I don't argue with that. But I disagree with your theory because it goes against what has already been proven.
People used to think you couldn't go faster than sound, and people used to think that light didn't travel, it just instantaneously got to your eyes. People used to think the earth was flat. Did they ever prove this? Did they ever check to see if they could go faster than sound? no. They couldn't. But we've come a long way since then, and many things have been proven, and not much that was properly proven has actually been dismissed, merely added to. You can argue that Newton was wrong, but he wasn't. His equations were a good - make that, very good - approximation for low energy motion, on a macroscopic scale. Only when Einstein speculated about high energy motion was this added to for a more general equation. And quantum physics is pretty much the same story.

Guest Apokronos
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deus_Ex_Machina [/i]
[B]

The other famous scientists couldn't back their claims up?? Einstein did.. even if just with equations, but eventually he was proven right. Newton did, with experimental evidence. Feynmann did. But you see, you can't just make a theory without evidence, because a lot of the time, scientists set out to prove one thing and end up finding another entirely..

You're right, maybe one day there will be time travel (maybe, and if you think that there definitely will be, then you're more arrogant than I thought) and one day, there [i]will[/i] be new laws of physics, but until then, we have to go by what the present ones state. So far they've explained a lot. Not everything, but a lot.

Basically, you don't experiment to prove a theory, you experiment to see if it's right. And don't give me that 'Humans know nothing' speech. Do you really think that I believe that we know everything? We only see in 3 dimensions, 4 if you count time, but apparantly many scientists believe that the are more. I don't argue with that. But I disagree with your theory because it goes against what has already been proven.
People used to think you couldn't go faster than sound, and people used to think that light didn't travel, it just instantaneously got to your eyes. People used to think the earth was flat. Did they ever prove this? Did they ever check to see if they could go faster than sound? no. They couldn't. But we've come a long way since then, and many things have been proven, and not much that was properly proven has actually been dismissed, merely added to. You can argue that Newton was wrong, but he wasn't. His equations were a good - make that, very good - approximation for low energy motion, on a macroscopic scale. Only when Einstein speculated about high energy motion was this added to for a more general equation. And quantum physics is pretty much the same story. [/B][/QUOTE]
Your the most dense person I have ever met. WHen you look like a fool when your older and it turns out Im right, Im gonna be laughing even more than when I saw your views of quantum physics.

And thus concludes the Dues_Ex_Machina Physics Comedy show!!! Tune in tomorrow for more dense people and physics jokes from Dues_Ex_Machina himself! Goodnight, folks!

[B]
Your the most dense person I have ever met. WHen you look like a fool when your older and it turns out Im right, Im gonna be laughing even more than when I saw your views of quantum physics.

And thus concludes the Dues_Ex_Machina Physics Comedy show!!! Tune in tomorrow for more dense people and physics jokes from Dues_Ex_Machina himself! Goodnight, folks! [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually YOUR the most dense person I ever met...

Don't DOuble/Triple post again... READ THE RULES... and stop being a arrogant moron. You don't know it all, sorry to burst your bubble. If I see anymore of this crap from you.... You WILL be banned, then we'll see who thinks you're Mr. Know-It-All... I think Mr Know It All could have figured out how to show respect and to debate in civil manners.... it's apparent Mr Know it all isn't Mr Civilized.... why don't you go back intime to the Neolithic era and live with other uncivilized people.

You're pushing your luck, and now have officially been added to the "being watched" list.... next screw up, you're gone.

BTW, due to this topic's lack of facts and the fact that IF time travel were 100% possible it's be on the news with cloning... this topic is here-by releaved of it's duty.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]

BTW, due to this topic's lack of facts and the fact that IF time travel were 100% possible it's be on the news with cloning... this topic is here-by releaved of it's duty. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue]Actually, I was quite impressed with this topic until it degenerated a little bit too far.

Time travel is indeed physically possible, Transtic. It's just that we don't have the technology to allow it to occur -- the same goes for cloning, it's possible to clone perfectly...but we can't do it right yet.

Anyway, I think that's a bit beside the point. I hope that Apokronos realizes that it is important to remain civil on these forums -- regardless of the debate. In this case, I think that Deus_Ex does come off being a little more credible in terms of his arguments.

However, I would also say that if you are truly interested in science, Apokronos, you should allow for others to hold their points of view if they are willing to back them up. :)[/color]