Jump to content
OtakuBoards

What does Otaku mean?


Recommended Posts

Guest Morphious
Posted
What does Otaku mean? OR did you guys just pull it out of your bum (That's what I do a lot)?
Posted
Otaku means "fan" in Japanese, in the fanatic sense. In America, it's considered a
trendy term to call yourself if you are a Japanese animation fan.

:therock: :mrt: Peace!!:demon: :naughty:
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Soccer 4 Life [/i]
[B]Otaku means "fan" in Japanese, in the fanatic sense. In America, it's considered a
trendy term to call yourself if you are a Japanese animation fan.

:therock: :mrt: Peace!!:demon: :naughty: [/B][/QUOTE]

hmmm where'd you get that from?

Anyway...

Otaku REALLY means, in the case of anime, "Geek, Nerd, or Enthusiast"... It was first used to describe anime fans because they would basically become hermits and watch anime all the time or whatever. So, people started calling them otaku, and it just kinda stuck to them. In Japan, it's actually a rather offensive term to people. In America however, people naturally rarely know the meaning and throw the word around like it's a piece of cake, when in actuality, they are insulting themselves.... but none-the-less, it still partially refers to a realllllly big fan of anime....
Posted
Yeah, there was a topic like this before somewhere. There was a site put up saying how bad it is to be otaku and whatever...

Please.... :rolleyes:
Guest Matt
Posted
[color=red][b]I thought it ment "fanatic"[/b][/color]
Posted
I saw a political cartoon, and it showed some PC nerds[ like myself] that just did nothing but watch anime. So I guess it meant that Otaku's have no life. ** looks at Status over av** Oh My, I knew something was wrong. :sick:

** I love that smiley**
Posted
Look, Transtic Nerve and I basically covered its meaning, no more rumors really need to be spread about the word because there are too many people with misconceptions about it already. This topic should be closed.
Posted
Well morph, looks like I was wrong. Lol. And wrist cutter......if you dont mind my asking, why should it be closed? I dotn see anythign wrong with it, theres no arguing whatsoever, or flaming, so Im curious, whats YOUR reason on why it should be closed??;)
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wrist cutter [/i]
Look, Transtic Nerve and I basically covered its meaning, [i][b]no more rumors really need to be spread[/b][/i] about the word because [i][b]there are too many people with misconceptions about it[/i][/b] already. This topic should be closed. [/QUOTE]

Would you please [i]re-read[/i] my damn post. I italicized and bolded the reasons in case there was still confusion as to why I believe this thread should be closed.
Posted
[color=royalblue]Both TN and wrist cutter have adequately covered the meaning of "Otaku".

Indeed, some see it as offensive (if you find being called an "anime geek" offensive lol)...we use it because we are trying to point out that our site is for truly hardcore anime fans...there are many sites which use the word "Otaku" as well as us. It's become almost like a kind of slang or whatever...

Anyway, wrist cutter is correct...no more need for this topic.[/color]
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...