OtakuBoards

Sports and Video Games-only for boys?!

eleanor

[color=crimson][size=1]And I am the Queen of Tekken and no one can beat me.....MWAHAHAHAHA! Actually, I was at the arcade once and this little fat kid kicked my butt...but it was a pretty close fight, so yeah. Not even Ryan can beat me! *Reaches up and touches her crown* I AM THE GLORIFIED AND WORSHIPPED QUEEN ASUKA!!! OHOHOHOHOHO! Nah, I'm just kidding. But I do rule at Tekken. Tekken 3 is one of my most prized possessions....teehee...[/color][/size]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gees video games are Tres cool....I mean who want to dress up a bloody doll....when you've got Resident Evil or Mech Warriors or Command & Conquer or Battle cruiser. Even my brother mentioned to me a few times to play counter strike..... heheheh...ohhhh baby:excited:

Guest Dark Raven
I play soccer and that about it, but I really like it. We don't have a soccer team at my school or a girls football team, which kind of makes me mad. But really the only reason that were stereotyped against football and soccer is because of the girls themselves. Very few of them like either sport. But girls don't even play it in P.E. The guys play soccer and football while were doing things like volleyball and archery. Nothing against vollyball and archery but I would rather do something more physical. Girls used to play soccer at pe but they kept getting hurt and stuff. I was laughing so hard at this. But I guess stereotypes on sports aren't that big of a deal because two of the most athletuc girls at my school are alos two of the most popular. And even when stereotypes do exist on sports and videogames, it's kind of cool to know that I'm the only girl in my class who plays them. It gives you a sense of individuality.

Bah. I really don't like bigots who think all girls are all wimpy-like. Not wimpy-like, but you know. BabyGirl said it the best, I think. "Girly-girl". That's just wrong. I mean, I saw a girl playing Duke Nukem once at a tournament in the mall downtown... So I challenged her, thinking it was going to be an easy victory (Mind you, this was when I was younger, and not so open-minded). Well, it came down to this: She kicked my arse.

Yup, that was the turning point. When I realised that not all girls like to sit and play dress up.

Ultimatly, I even began to accept the fact that some girls could beat me, and that's where I've progressed to today.

Then again, I own the Red Faction world... Mwahahaha...!!

guys are always amazed when tell i love video games and anime. the most anoying thing is when i guys says i play like a girl( but really, what's wrong with that?) they automatically jump to the conclussion that girls can't play video games, it drives me insane!!:flaming:

In my school, I don't know one girl who likes anime or video games. I do know a girl who is into sports. But when I meet a girl who loves video games or anime, I'd love to meet her. I'm not into a girl who's all "girly-girl". (no offense to those who are)

Barbie video games? *snicker* I never heard of those. Oh well anyways, I reallu don't like those girly-girls either. THey go around gossiping about things they make up and they get in fights every ten minutes or something. Once, this girl started talking to me because she said that she tols her friends she hated them on im. Her "friends" (morons) thought she was going to kill them. (pretty big morons)

At my school, everyone stares at you like your a weirdo if you even talk about anime. Cause its an all girls school they all think DBZ is for boy's only, and that they're dumb cartoons.
My friend K, used to get payed out tonnes cause she always talked about it where as I only talked about it if I found something interesting about it.
But really all the girls there are full-on into sport, but not video games they'd rather go do the typical girly stuff than hang out and play video games or watch anime

[color=crimson][size=1]Well, actually, if you ask me, DBZ is a dumb cartoon and doesn't really appeal to girls because it has the most horrible storyline that is really redundant and everything. Not to mention the animation is crappy and you can predict anything that's going to happen. But that's beside the point and completely off topic as well.

You shouldn't just DOG girly-girls and then say you don't like people who stereotype because then you YOURSELF are stereotyping all supposedly "girly-girls". I think that I have a girly girl side, and I know I do. I'm only female. But I like anime and play videogames. So stop being so hypocritcal.[/color][/size]

that....somehow ALSO happens to be stereotyping, because really you're saying DBZ is dumb, when it only is in your opinion and someone else's.(Not using names because there would be a large list, and there also is a large list of people who like DBZ.)

bah. Sterotypes are stupid. A few years ago (3 or 4 years), all of the girls started to look at me wierd because I watched DBZ and started to get into more anime more than I already watched and they said "That show, Dragon Ball Z or whatever, is just for boys. Why do [i]you[/i] watch it?" I watched it because I liked it. Of course, that was like back in 5th grade and I'm sure (or hope) that they have matured since then, but it just agrivates me. I myself am a tomboy. I don't see why most of the people back then expected me to listen to Brittany Spears and N*Sync (>_<), or wear make-up, or talk on the phone, or talk about "dream dates" (bleh! >_<) and all that crap because I don't care about that. It usually gets better as you get older though.

Guest Solid Snake
[color=teal]Well, like other people said, girls arn't generally associated with sports and gaming, making an odd steryotype that is continuely proven wrong.

This dates back many years to when women just sat at home and sewed, heh. It also generates from movies and television with the whole intension of portraying steryotypes. And the sad thing is, this is becoming less and less abundant in women but the steryotype will never end.

Anime just for boys? Give me a break! I know plenty of girls into anime. In fact, I know of more girls than boys who like anime...er, outside of the net.

A couple days ago, I believed the whole thing about video games only for boys, that boys played them and girls didn't. But then I went to a fourth of July party and, low and behold, a girl had brought over her PlayStation 2 and games. Well, that steryotype was thrown out of the window.

I think the reason that boys are surprised at a girl jock is because when they were growing up, there wern't many professional leagues for girls, and they spent their time watching men sports players. Perhaps in this day and age, where kids can watch girls play pro, it will be different. But that's a long time to wait to see if it impacts the society so strongly.

Well yeah, so my overall feel for those steryotypes are...that they suck. They are usually completely wrong, and need to be changed for this day and age.[/color]

:blah:

[QUOTE]You shouldn't just DOG girly-girls and then say you don't like people who stereotype because then you YOURSELF are stereotyping all supposedly "girly-girls". I think that I have a girly girl side, and I know I do. I'm only female. But I like anime and play videogames. So stop being so hypocritcal[/QUOTE]

Hm...well the only reason I diss girly-girls to my friends is really just to make them laugh......hehe....j/k! j/k!

Anyways, I really don't like the popular girls because a new girl came to our school and I saw her trying to make friends with the 'popular' group. I few days later, I saw them completely shun and ignore her, and every time she was brave enough to say something, nobody payed attention to her at all.

Really. I think thats kind of mean, and I also think it's worse then making fun of anybody to their face. Now I hate them more, because, surprise surprise! She's my best friend. Actually, she was kind of annoying when I first talked to her. She kept ranting on about Invader Zim but I caught her say something about Zelda.

What I'm kind of catching in terms of "drift" here is that a girl isn't accepted as much and liked if she's "girly". Or maybe I made that up, but I think I'll still address this anyway. If some girls like shopping and wear cute clothes, wear make-up, and go out with guys it doesn't make them shallow. This also applies to guys whose only hobbies are athletics, they're not "dumb jocks" just because of their interests. The act of judging someone based on only what you see is shallow and dumb. So be careful on how you critique others. If any of you saw me at first glance, you'd see cute clothes and a girly appearance. Would you then automatically mark me off from liking punk music, being a drummer, and liking video games? Might want to think about that....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SuperSayian [/i]
[B]Duke Nukem once at a tournament in the mall downtown... So I challenged her, thinking it was going to be an easy victory (Mind you, this was when I was younger, and not so open-minded). Well, it came down to this: She kicked my arse.

Yup, that was the turning point. When I realised that not all girls like to sit and play dress up.[/B][/QUOTE]

That's just because you're really bad at Duke Nukem, lol.

In any case, people tend to consider gaming a "guy thing" because the gaming industry tends to focus on teenage white males.

Look at Duke Nukem for instance. There was a game called Duke Nukem: Planet of the Babes. I can't remember exactly what the article said, but it was something like: "One Duke. One million babes. Any questions?"

Plus, look at the characters portrayed in videogames. Most are white males. Worse yet, almost every title staring a female, portrays them as having [b][I]huge[/I][/B], ungodly sized breasts and a sickeningly slender waist. Look at the unproportionate Lara Croft or Tifa for crying out loud.

On the other side of the coin, look at games like Britney Spears Dance Beat (or whatever it's called), the Barbie games, and the Olsen Twins games. I mean, these games are so sweet, they'll give you diabetes if you come within ten feet of them.

Anime is considered a guy thing amoung uninformed people. If you ask someone who has a vague idea of what anime is, they'll probably tell you that it's "titty toons."

Misconceptions sure do bite. But, for you girls complaining, I have this to say: I barely see any females in Gaming Otaku. I noticed Mist recently, but that's about it. You know what they say.

"There's a little bit of truth in every stereotype."

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]But, for you girls complaining, I have this to say: I barely see any females in Gaming Otaku. I noticed Mist recently, but that's about it. [/B][/QUOTE]

So? I don't ever go into General Anime either, does that mean I don't like anime now? General Discussion is the only forum I regularly visit, how does that mean I don't like video games because I never visit Gaming Otaku?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Anna [/i]
[B]

So? I don't ever go into General Anime either, does that mean I don't like anime now? General Discussion is the only forum I regularly visit, how does that mean I don't like video games because I never visit Gaming Otaku? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, that's very contradictory in that you are saying one thing and doing another.

Now, I didn't say that [I]Anna[/I] doesn't go to Gaming Otaku, thus females aren't interested in video games. I said that the number of active females in those forums is next to [I]zero[/I].

The numbers speak for themselves and they've been doing it for a while. I'm not saying that playing video games is a male thing. But, I am arguing that they [I]tend[/I] to be a male activity.

Maybe you do like Anime and games. The fact of the matter is, you're not interested enough in either to discuss them on an even remotely daily basis. So, I'm not too far from wrong, now am I? :p

Yes, I forced to believe you're right after what you wrote. Eh. I guess video games and anime tend to be directed at guys because of how the women look. But even so, the girl population is rising in the video game and anime section, so really, I think those kind of games are hurting the sales.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy White Boy [/i]
[B]
Maybe you do like Anime and games. The fact of the matter is, you're not interested enough in either to discuss them on an even remotely daily basis. So, I'm not too far from wrong, now am I? :p [/B][/QUOTE]

lol...... that's because I don't like "discussing" games.... I prefer to play them...

This is getting to be too much an 'Anna' issue, but I will say this- I only visit the General Discussion forum on a daily basis. That has nothing to do with my level of interest in games or anime, as I entertain any interest I have for the two at other sites beyond this one. What I only do here is not a fair standard to judge by, as there are plenty of other sites on the net I go to, and I also have my console and anime tapes/DVDs that are not on these boards.

Now to your point, yes games and anime are [i]geared toward[/i] boys more than girls, but that doesn't mean a lot of girls don't have a place in that industry. It's not just boys buying the games, there's plenty of unrecognized females out there who are consumers as well. Of course they aren't focused on, though. But just because girls aren't screaming and running around telling the world they play video games doesn't mean that's it's "boys only" either.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Anna [/i]
[B]Now to your point, yes games and anime are [i]geared toward[/i] boys more than girls, but that doesn't mean a lot of girls don't have a place in that industry. It's not just boys buying the games, there's plenty of unrecognized females out there who are consumers as well. Of course they aren't focused on, though. But just because girls aren't screaming and running around telling the world they play video games doesn't mean that's it's "boys only" either. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm not at all saying that females do not have a place in the video game industry. Women play large roles in development teams, as well as men.

Furthermore, there are respectable video game heroines, such as Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark), Samus (Metroid) and Aeris (Final Fantasy VII), just to name three of many.

Plus, I know that there are many female video game consumers and that the industry isn't "boys only."

Remember my quote and you should understand my point though. There is a little bit of truth in many stereotypes.

Let's forget about the Anna issue for a second and look at the other forums on otakuboards on a broader scale. Most forums that I visit contain at least some semblance of a female user base. Yet, Gaming Otaku contains little to zero active female posters. Other message boards share a similar state. Coincidence? I think not.

Now, it is fair to say that gaming tends to be more male oriented. After all, males are the target audience. Many games of the past featured females being rescued by males as the main premise. Just look at Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda.

Females are taking a more active role as heroines in video games today, which is a good sign. While females will slowly gain more ground in gaming as time moves forward, one cannot argue that gaming is dominated by men in the present.

Yes, gaming is more male oriented.... I think that depsite all the girls that are into gaming already, it's probably going to take a while for the numbers to set in.

I wasn't directing the "boys only" comment to you, btw, I was being general on how some people still think. And while there may be some truth to stereotypes, there are always exceptions, which make stereotypes faulty and why I always try to avoid them.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kool_aid13 [/i]
[B]bah. Sterotypes are stupid. A few years ago (3 or 4 years) [color=red](1 year ago :rolleyes: )[/color], all of the girls started to look at me wierd because I watched DBZ and started to get into more anime more than I already watched and they said "That show, Dragon Ball Z or whatever, is just for boys. Why do [i]you[/i] watch it?" I watched it because I liked it. Of course, that was like back in 5th grade and I'm sure (or hope) that they have matured since then, but it just agrivates me. I myself am a tomboy. I don't see why most of the people back then expected me to listen to Brittany Spears and N*Sync (>_<), or wear make-up, or talk on the phone, or talk about "dream dates" (bleh! >_<) and all that crap because I don't care about that. It usually gets better as you get older though. [/B][/QUOTE]
if you say you hate stereotypes so much, then why the heck are you making them?

while it's true that a lot of 'girly-girls' pick on ppl like tomboys because 'they all like rolling around in the dirt', I've also seen tomboys that trash the preps because 'they all try to get laid with every guy they come in contact with'. I know that neither of the accusations are true, I'm trying to make a point. like Anna and CWB were debating earlier, there are truths to stereotypes, but also exceptions. it's not fair to assume that all tomboys are like that, but it's also not fair to assume all preps are like that either.

if you don't want ppl dissing you because of the things you like, you'd better not do the same thing to other ppl. if a girl from the prep crowd was trying to be nice to you, would you snub her because she ''liked Britney Spears and *NSYNC, or wore makeup, or talked on the phone, or talked about dream dates' "? sounds really hypocritical to me. I'm sure you didn't like it when ppl wouldn't talk to you because you had a bug collection and liked DragonballZ.

I can honestly say that I don't like stereotypes either, they cause these kinds of problems. I always had this funny thought that you're supposed to judge ppl by the 'content of their character' (as MLK put it), and not by what types of music they like or what clothes they wear. wow, guess I was wrong :rolleyes:.

I'll just leave it at this, cuz my brain's about ready to fry. :drunk: