OtakuBoards

Sports and Video Games-only for boys?!

eleanor

:o Are there people at your school who think just because you're a girl, it's wierd that you play sports? Oh yeah, and the whole anime and video game thing. Most guys at our school automatically think that if you're a girl, you're only into clothes and perfume and stuff like that. I'm bit of a tom boy, so I get more angry about it than others, but still. I told a boy that I played soccer and snowboarded, and his response was,

"But you're a girl." He was as blunt as ever, too. I don't know, it just gets me fired up.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=crimson][size=1]That tends to be more of an issue in elementary in middle school and not usually in high school. In high school we have girl softball players who are as rough as the football players anyday, so yeah. I don't play sports (except for tennis occasionally, and I suck at that) but I do play videogames. But that's what makes me stand out. Because I don't fall into the same category with all the other girls. I am a Dancer, and that's a girly thing, but you have to be VERY in shape to be able to do it and keep up with the stuff we do. So yeah. Stereotypes are sort of annoying, especially when it comes down to the what guys do/what girls do issue.[/color][/size]

Stereotypes are stupid. In highschool they're still there but not nearly as bad as in middle school. I myself play the drums........ how many girls do you know that play the drums? Actually more than you would initially think. That's what stereotypes do, put your mind into a learned way of thinking. There are quite a few girl drummers out there, but I bet none of you knew that, did you? And along that thought, I'm not the stereotype for a girl drummer either (yeah, there's a stereotype for us), I'm not a beefcake on cymbals, thankyouverymuch. I'm also a dancer and am on snare drum my fourth year in a row. ^_^ Sorry, I have a bit of pride there. But my point is to just ignore stereotypes, in fact break as many as you can. Have fun with your activities. ^_^

[color=crimson][size=1]Yeah Anna, I figured you would go on and on about how wonderful of a drummer you are...LOL I'm just kidding, you know.

But yeah, sports aren't just for boys. At one of our football games this year, there was actually a girl football player. She was a Senior too and on the Homecoming Court. She was like first runner up, I believe. And everyone cheered for her and supported her. So yeah, she can be a football player and be a princess. Of course, she wasn't wearing a dress because she was in her football jersey, but I think people like her are awesome for making that sort of statement.

*Edit* Ah, listen to me. Saying "this year" still. I keep forgetting that I'm a Senior now and this is a whole new school year! I meant to say last year, of course. :rolleyes:

And BY THE WAY!!!! Watch this smiley for at least thirty seconds. It is the coolest thing. It was totally mesmerize you... :worried:[/color][/size]

:therock: "Watch the smiley"?! Tori, you're a weirdo....

Yeah, I remember that girl last year...... that was towards the end of the year, wasn't it? I remember I was very cold..... that's all I really remember..... but yeah this girl football player was on her homecoming court and got a spot in the runner-ups. What position did she play??? I wanna say she was either a kicker or one of the defensemen....... but my memory is whacked so I could be wrong, and she could really have been an offensive tackle! :drunk:

[color=crimson][size=1]I don't remember what position she was or anything, but I was very impressed because of the way she was standing up for herself sort of saying, "Just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I can't play football. And just because I'm a girl who plays football doesn't mean I can't be on the Homecoming Court with all the other girly girls." I don't remember what time of the year it was, but I can look it up sometime and let you know. My trusty handbook! Teehee...

And hey, this topic reminds me of the movie "Little Giants." The coach's daughter, IceBox, wanted to play football and she was little tomboy, but then when this really cute guy joined the team, she really liked him, but he told her he only liked the cheerleader types. So she gave up football to become a cheerleader so he would notice her, but then in the end she ended up on the football field playing in her cheerleader uniform and football helmet and her team won the game. And she got the guy, too. That was such a cute movie...

Okay, I'm shutting up now. *Still continues to be mesmerized by the forever-moving smiley...*[/color][/size]

[color=royalblue]Yeah, stereotypes suck.

My little sister is into a lot of "chick stuff"...but at the same time, she loves playing PC games...she's really into web design...and she's REALLY into gizmos (stereo systems, portable electronics...anything "tech" like that).

So yeah, I don't think it's fair to put girls into a stereotype...as every person has their own hobbies and interests.[/color]

lol i'm into hard core breakdancing and snowbaording and skateboarding but at the same time i love wearing makeup and doing my hair si i guess i go both ways i also like tech stuff but i'm more of a sound and light person lol
~GG~

Guest Naruru
[FONT=courier new]That doesn't seems right.So what if girls are into those sports and video games?I see no difference.Well sure ppl keep saying" Girls hafta be soft, feminine blah blah..." all those shitz but I dun bother about it.Yea, I'm a bit boyish because I tend to like things that "normal" girls won't do like playing RPG, sports, martial arts and stuff.But hey..I still have my girlish side :blush: Doesn't mean I'm boyish, I lost all my girlish side.I still have a feminine side, but in a way that I hardly reveal it. [/FONT]

[color=deeppink]Guys are usually amazed when I tell them I love Star Wars and playing video games...

...and yet I'm a big girly-girl when it comes to material things! I love clothes and fashion and boys and looking nice...but deep down inside I think I have the heart of a little boy. I like being nicely competitive, rough-housing with guys, being adventurous and dangerous...the list goes on :p[/color]

Well, I know a handful of girls that could probably whoop my ***, so I sure wouldn't stereotype them, lol.

Seriously, girls have the potential to be just a good as boys in almost anything. It's we men who probably couldn't handle something of the things [i]they[/i] do.

-Justin

Gosh...I've always had that go get 'em tough tomboy streak in me, but I am also a girly girl when it comes to clothes and stuff.
I've always been quite sporty and liked to be on the touch footy and basketbal teams in highschool. I'm still playing touch footy in a mixed team now. I can beat almost anyone in Datona and I was and still am a computer games chick.
I'm also going to be studying Engineering along with my Finance soon and some people still think that's a guy's area of expertise...yeah right, whatever :rolleyes:

Never listen to whatever stereotypical crap that comes out people's mouths these days... Just do whatever makes you happy with yourself.

Yeah, but whenever a boy teases you about thinking about your hair...etc. uh... don't they still tease you if your hair's really messed up? The boys that do that tease you either way, and the way those kinds o guys stereotype girls is just stupid. Our school had some sort of physical exam, the 1st place winner was a girl, and 2nd was this nerd that was always getting picked on.so from then the boys thought twice before stereotyping anyone ^_-
anyway, guys stoped doing that to me after I kicked someone on the head by kicking over my head, when they sorta grabbed me..
^_^'

[COLOR=darkblue]growing up, all the guys liked to hang w/ me b/c i was just as good at the sports as they were. plus, it taught me how to be comfortable around guys, which helped me a lot later in life.

but the girls hated me b/c i hung out w/ the guys. they only girl friends i had growing up were tomboys like me. oh well, to each his own. they could have their dolls, just give me a football.

& it's really cool when a guy you like tackles you (& they usually won't tackle you as hard as they would a guy) & you end up pinned under him, face to face. hehehe...

i actually think it's better for girls to get into some guy stuff. at least then you can have more to talk about w/ them, & you won't be helpless is you have a flat tire. truthfully, girls can learn a lot from guys, just as they can learn a lot from us. you're never going to learn anything like that if you sit around doing your make-up all day. (no offense meant by that, but you get what i mean.)[/COLOR]

oh, hey, tori, i totally see what you mean about the smilie thing. what really messes w/ me is if you get like three or more posts in a row w/ those moving words in the sigs... now that really screws my head all up.

[color=crimson][size=1]Yeah, LM, the Marquees are weird...I mean, I used to have two, but that just looks so stupid, so now I have my one, with my Perfect Circle song lyrics. Oh man, that is the best band in the universe...teehee....ANYWHO...

I have more of the girly side than the boyish side, somewhat. I like to dress in cute clothes that compliment my figure, I get pissed when my hair doesn't look right (although the only thing I do to it is brush it straight..), I wear my black eyeliner (but that might just be a Tori thing...), I am a Dancer and I love doing that very much, and my favorite colors are pink and red. But yeah, I don't spend hours getting ready, I don't wear make-up (honestly, I don't think I need it...), I LOVE my videogames like you wouldn't believe, I like Tennis *teehee's*, I like Ryan...ALOT...*sighs happily* and Yeah. I think I'm a good combination of girl and sort of boyish qualities. Basically, I'm down to earth and sort of layed back.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by anime_gurl [/i]
[B]:o Are there people at your school who think just because you're a girl, it's wierd that you play sports? Oh yeah, and the whole anime and video game thing. Most guys at our school automatically think that if you're a girl, you're only into clothes and perfume and stuff like that. I'm bit of a tom boy, so I get more angry about it than others, but still. I told a boy that I played soccer and snowboarded, and his response was,

"But you're a girl." He was as blunt as ever, too. I don't know, it just gets me fired up. [/B][/QUOTE]

Really wow. Its the other way around here. Its mainly girls who like the anime (I'm one of only 2 guys at my school who like anime) and the girls play sports/games as much as the guys. So its a bit different lol. Hey I think its cool when a girl does that stuff. *shrugs* I'ma freak tho...

[color=crimson][size=1]We don't have alot of guys at my school who like anime, or at least I don't know them. I only know maybe one or two, and then rest are girls, and half of them are into anime because I influenced them! But yeah, anime is not popular at my school...[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=crimson][size=1]But yeah, anime is not popular at my school...[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Nor was it at mine.

One day I was in the library with a friend and he mentioned Cowboy Bebop, this being before I had ever seen the series. Some sophomore guy (or maybe he was a junior...) on the other side of the computers we were sitting stood at up and was like, "Cowboy Bebop is awesome! There's this one episode where the characters get messed up on 'shrooms and it's awesome!...blah blah blah..."

This was before I really knew what Cowboy Bebop was and I was like, "Yes...right..." and found it to be really weird. He had completely butted in on our conversation...oddness o_O

Actually, this year I saw quite a few of the younger, freshmen fellows wearing DBZ shirts...but that's all I know about people in my [old] school liking anime. Methinks I was probably one of the few who even know what it [i]is[/i].[/color]

[color=crimson][size=1]EEEEEE, it annoys me more than anything when people who are DBZ fans think they know EVERTHING about anime and are the biggest anime fans. I have RANTED and RAVED on this in a thread in General Anime. That is probably one of my biggest pet peeves.

I met this girl who likes anime just as much as me my Sophomore year. I had my handbook decorated with anime pictures and everything and I showed it to her and she was like "I love anime!" So yeah, then we hit it off. The other people I know just like it because I forced them to watch it![/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DuoGod of Death [/i]
[B]

Really wow. Its the other way around here. Its mainly girls who like the anime (I'm one of only 2 guys at my school who like anime) and the girls play sports/games as much as the guys. So its a bit different lol. Hey I think its cool when a girl does that stuff. *shrugs* I'ma freak tho... [/B][/QUOTE]

Where do you live??:eek: You know how rare it is just to find ONE girl that likes anime in New York? Its not even funny.:confused:

I think sports and video games being only for boys is nonsense. They were made for everyone's enjoyment. I think its because there isn't as many girls that does either or like the boys. In my own opinion, it really depends on where you live. Like in one place the boys play the sports, girls play video games, another boys does both, etc. Like I said to Duo's reply, its rare for girls to like anime but in his place they love it! *sigh* I wish there was more girls like that in New York.:bawl:

[color=crimson][size=1]This reminds me of an article that was in PSM magazine once. A woman wrote in who was very pissed about some company making Barbie videogames to try and satisfy females needs for videogames. I agree with everything this woman said. She said that she plays the most goriest videogames with the rest of them. Hey, at my house, we own Resident Evil 2 and 3, have beat them both, and we have Dino Crisis. And there are nothing but girls here; me and my two younger sisters. So yeah...[/color][/size]

[color=indigo]Sexism. Blatant sexism.

Girls can be just as good at things guys normally do, if not better. When it comes to sports and they want to mix with a team that is dominantly guys, perhaps co-ed football. I'd say take thme to a punk/rock show and throw them in a pit, if they come out in one piece then they're good enough. I have two friends that are girls that love to mosh. They get beat up every so often, but not too much.

As for gaming, that's so diculous it's [i]ridiculous[/i]. One of my best friends plays Counter Strike online all the time. He is really good at it, but there is this one girl that always kicks his bum. Even now it is still hard for him to beat her. Not to mention the girl is two years younger than him. He's sixteen, she's about 13/14 depending on when her birthday is.[/color]