OtakuBoards

Stupid me sold the GBA....

Amphion

Yeah, I preordered a GBa back when they came out. Got it and played with it for a couple of months, got tired of it and sold it. Now I am really kicking my self in the butt for doing it. All these awesome RPGs are out for it now, and many more fine games are on the way. I still can not beleive I sold it. Go ahead and slap me if you feel the need. I deserve it.

Anyway, to bring this topic to some sort of point, I am about to purchase another one and I was wanting your opinion.

I am buying the GBA and a Game when I go and get it this weekend. I can not figure out what game to get.

I am trying to decide between the following:

Golden Sun
Ogre Tactics
Breath of Fire

They all look good, but I am not sure which one is better. I know most of you have played most of the ones I listed so i thought I would ask for your opinion.

My immediate recommendation would be either Golden Sun or Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis.

Ogre Tactics is the longer game, has multiple endings and allows two player support via the GameBoy Advance link cable.

The main drawback to this game, is that you can't speed up your enemies attack sequences. Thus, it may be a pain to sit back and watch their attack unfold slowly on the tiny screen.

However, the game does have extremely colorful, detailed isometric backgrounds and nice weather effects. Plus, the new Emblem system means that you'll frequently switch between characters.

Overall, the good outweighs the bad.

As you undoubtedly know, Golden Sun is your traditional overhead rpg with turn based battles.

Golden Sun also supports the link cable, so that you can battle it out with a friend.

The magic system and Djinn rival and surpass a lot of next generation titles out there and the storyline is deep and involving.

Overall, it comes down to which type of rpg you prefer: strategy rpgs or traditional overhead rpgs. I'm sorry that I'm not helpful in narrowing it down to one game, but I'm sure that your preference to style would matter greatly.

Breath of Fire is identical to the SNES version so if you have a SNES and find one, it'll probably be better. Tactics Ogre is like Final Fantasy Tactics, a traditional turn-based strategy game, and Golden Sun really throws you back to the good old 16-bit RPG era (or at least the early 32-bit RPG's) with great mode 7 battles, an good storyline, and impressive overall quality.

I played Ogre Battle a short while via emulation, simply because i cannot find it ANYWHERE. Where are people buying this game?? I'd really like to avoid buying it online.

However, I think that's the best of the three by far. It's not quite as good as the Super Famicom/PSX versions, but it's damn close.

Personally, I found Golden Sun boring. The graphics were beautiful, and the music was great. I just didn't like the story. I also didn't like the fact that you could basically just rush through every fight using your Djinn. I don't think it's bad, just vastly overrated.

I never liked the first two BoF games either, but apparently I'm in the minority just like I am with Golden Sun. BoF3 and 4 were great though I thought.

Guest ProudClod
Well, Golden Sun 2 is set to be released, if you dont mind waiting for that, but it is [I]long[/I] wait. Id prefer the Nintendo classic Fire Emblem to Breath of Fire, but yet again is due sometime next year (or was it the end of this year?).

Golden Sun 2 is suppose to continue after Golden Sun 1, so it is worthless purchaing number 2 on its own.

If youre looking for a challenge then I recommend Ogre Tactics.

[color=indigo]Um, no, Golden Sun: The Lost Age is a sequel to the first Golden Sun, not a prequel. Just take a look at [url=http://www.nintendo.com/news/news_articles.jsp?articleID=6735]this[/url] page from [url]www.nintendo.com[/url].

"The Lost Age [b]picks up where Golden Sun left off,[/b] with characters from the original game regrouping to prevent the destruction of their world."

Having never actually played any of those games, I can't give you an oppinion on which I think is best, but I can tell you what I've heard from other people... I've barely heard anything bad about Golden Sun, and I've heard a few people say they liked it better than Final Fantasy VII. About Breath of Fire, I've heard it can get a little boring at times, though I don't know why; like I said, this is just what I've heard. Lastly, I really haven't much of anything about Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis, other than it's more of a strategy RPG.

I myself am thinking of buying Golden Sun, because I've heard so many good things about it, and I need another RPG since I'm almost done replaying FFVII.[/color]

Eh, sorry about that. I must of read it wrong. I found the news at Planetgamecube. Its no big deal. :cool:

[color=indigo]No, it's not a big deal, but I'd suggest getting your info from official sites. It's [i]much[/i] more reliable. :) - Desbreko[/color]