OtakuBoards

dragonball z names, who names their kid after food and clothing?

DBZanimeFreak3

Well a lot of names in DBZ aren't meant to be serious. Vegeta = vegetable, radditz = raddish, brolli = broccoli. Pan is bread goten is air.....do you really want to watch a show where the planet is saved by Steve? Or perhaps a Bob? The saiya-jins are vegetables, and before they took over they lived on planet Plant. Dr. Briefs, Trunks and Bra are just a mini-theme running in Vegeta's family I guess. I'm sure there are others but you get the point.

[color=indigo]Yeah, just about everything in the [i]Dragonball[/i] series is a pun. The Japanese name for Namek means "slug", so then you have Lord Slug and a bunch of Nameks whose names mean certain things about slugs with the exception of Piccolo and Nail.. and Kami. Paragus is a play off of asparagus. There are hundreds more, but they escape my mind right now.[/color]

I have a partial answer, at least for names like "Gohan" (which means rice).

Chinese traditional names are sometimes food (such as "Little Bun" or something) or an ordinary object. The old folklore goes, that if you give them a name like that, in times of darkness, the demons can't steal their name from them.

I'll try to get a hold of the source for that soon. :D

Guest GriffXL
planet vegeta (or planet vegetable or plant)used to be planet fruit.When it was the truffles (think thats what they are called) vs the saiyans it was the fruits vs the plants.Also in dball the rabbit gang,when goku sends them to the moon its actually a child story that says rabbits live on the moon and make kids marshmellow treats.Everything is a pun even jackie chun (sounds familiar?).

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]It all has meaning. Whether humorous or significant. It's just a show. [/B][/QUOTE]
I know what you mean, whats the big deal, its a show.

Guest Saiyangohan2002
[color=green] Toryamas sense of humor cannot be doubted. He puns the hell out of everything and anyone (Jackie Chan) Even that sub video of the cell games with those real bad actors in huge masks was a parody of the media. anyway I think all questions have been answered [/color]