Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
ok, i know this series isn't from my country, but naming your kid bra?
my friends all find vegeta funny, me too at first, but if the ages 11- 14 aren' t bad enough but naming your kids after fruit and underware!



~DBZanimeFreak3~
Posted
Well a lot of names in DBZ aren't meant to be serious. Vegeta = vegetable, radditz = raddish, brolli = broccoli. Pan is bread goten is air.....do you really want to watch a show where the planet is saved by Steve? Or perhaps a Bob? The saiya-jins are vegetables, and before they took over they lived on planet Plant. Dr. Briefs, Trunks and Bra are just a mini-theme running in Vegeta's family I guess. I'm sure there are others but you get the point.
Posted
[color=indigo]Yeah, just about everything in the [i]Dragonball[/i] series is a pun. The Japanese name for Namek means "slug", so then you have Lord Slug and a bunch of Nameks whose names mean certain things about slugs with the exception of Piccolo and Nail.. and Kami. Paragus is a play off of asparagus. There are hundreds more, but they escape my mind right now.[/color]
Posted
I have a partial answer, at least for names like "Gohan" (which means rice).

Chinese traditional names are sometimes food (such as "Little Bun" or something) or an ordinary object. The old folklore goes, that if you give them a name like that, in times of darkness, the demons can't steal their name from them.

I'll try to get a hold of the source for that soon. :D
Guest GriffXL
Posted
planet vegeta (or planet vegetable or plant)used to be planet fruit.When it was the truffles (think thats what they are called) vs the saiyans it was the fruits vs the plants.Also in dball the rabbit gang,when goku sends them to the moon its actually a child story that says rabbits live on the moon and make kids marshmellow treats.Everything is a pun even jackie chun (sounds familiar?).
Posted
That's all apart of Toriyama's sense of humor. I mean, take a look at the whole Dragon Ball series...all comedy. Not so much in DBZ, but alot in DBGT
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]It all has meaning. Whether humorous or significant. It's just a show. [/B][/QUOTE]
I know what you mean, whats the big deal, its a show.
Posted
And like a carrot (kakarot) is the brother of a radish (radditz)
thats funny, but Bra?
He's overdoing it. He didn't even changed it a little bit!
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vegeta [/i]
[B]
I know what you mean, whats the big deal, its a show. [/B][/QUOTE]
I know what you mean, I don't see why it is a big deal. ;)
Guest Saiyangohan2002
Posted
[color=green] Toryamas sense of humor cannot be doubted. He puns the hell out of everything and anyone (Jackie Chan) Even that sub video of the cell games with those real bad actors in huge masks was a parody of the media. anyway I think all questions have been answered [/color]
Posted
LOL, yeah...
but mainly most anime names are puns.... Right?
like I thought sakura ment cherry blossom or something.... *shrugs*
Posted
[COLOR=royalblue]Don't forget about the Ginyu Force. They were allnamed after dairy products.

Ginyu - milk
Jeice - cheese
Guldo - yogurt
Recoome - cream
Burter - butter
[/COLOR]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...