OtakuBoards

Escaflowne:Worth it??

Zero-Sama

Okay, i saw this anime series when i premeired on Fox, And loved it, but they sadly wook it off the air soon after. After seeing a comercial on Cartoon Network about the entire set being sold at suncoast, and after going to their website, found it being sold for $149.99.

So, i was wondering if it's worth it, or should i just forget it?

Oh, I love Escaflowne. It's a really great series, and I would say it's worth it. I bought all the VHS tapes, since I didn't have a DVD player yet, but I think the box set's worth it. It's got good fighting scenes, a great plot, and lots of character development. Plus I love Yoko Kanno's music. ^^ Anyways, I'm a big Esca fan, so I say it's deffinitely worth it.

Escaflowne is one of the best anime's I have ever seen. I have the first 2 DVD's on it and really really need/want to get the rest soon. But the plot is there, the graphics are there, the everything is there. 'Nuff said.

YAY! ESCAFLOWNE MOVIE IS OUT! ONE WEEK NOW! I NEED MONEY TO BUY IT!:( anyway, escaflowne is a great mix of sort of magical girl with legendary swords, etc.

The box set though, wow....im always broke, so i couldn't buy andy box sets....ever..... if you have the money, i say, why not? but buy the movie first!!! the movie sounds so cool! that, or watch it at a friends house or something to see if you really want it..

GAH! The movie......It looks so different and everybody looks like barbarians..... The only reason I want it is for the soundtrack. ^^ I just Love Yoko Kanno's music, that was a big plus in the Esca series to me.:D Well, unless there are some big bonuses in the box set, you could always just buy each DVD by itself instead of all at once.

Kinda overrated for me. Sure the mecha design was fantastic, but I really didn't really feel for anyone. Kinda stale for my taste.

But I know lots of people love this one so who am I to say anything against it? :smile:

well, fox has/had some quality programming, but esca was way outta theit league.. i still reccomend trying it out a bit before you buy it, but if you REALLY liked it when tou saw it, then be my guest...seems like the majority wants you to!

Escaflowne is definately one of the best animes out there. Every said about it here is true. The one they aired on Fox though really made a mockery of the show. They edited all the good stuff. Heck they didn't even air the first 2 episodes and there wasn't any fighting!....................well........aside from that dragon.:) The only thing I liked about it was the new sounds they added like the metal swords hittin things. But as genkai_yyh said, that show was way out of their league and really didn't know WHAT they were doing. I have to say, this is definately not a show for Saturday mornings! The fighting was awesome. My two favs was when Van took on Dilaindu's (sp?) army all by himself and his match with Allen. The series is nice and long too which is also good for those who crave it. Also, the shows appeals to just about anyone. If you like either romance, mechs, blood, plot, or swordplay then this show is for you.

As for the movie, thats a whole different issue. Although its the same series, its completely different! All the aspects applies (romance, etc.) but everything has been re-done. The art, characters, plot. Its like watching the series all over again. The commercial you saw on CN was the movie. It doesn't have as many mech battles but the hand to hand battles are really cool (for a small example here's a hidden spoiler: [color=white]Van can use magic! [/color] So yeah, bascially you won't be disappointed with either series.:whoops:

Actually I didn't see FOX's version. I saw the fansub with all the liquor and all the fighting. It still didn't have any appeal to me. It must be the art (and the awfully long noses). :hehehehe:

But I'm the weird type, I really don't conform. So don't take my word for it.

I don't like the look of the movie.....I like the series desgins, but that's okay. I still really want to see it, just because I'd like to see the new way they told the story. Plus, I think it's a must-see for Escaflowne fans. ^^ I want to buy it, but since the whole set is like $60 and I have to put all my money towards my computer, I can't get it either. lol.

I just saw the movie, and it was very good. I would recommend watching the TV Series first, and then watching the movie. There are the same characters and everything, but they don't explain the characters in the Movie. And if you see the series first, it's more fun to compare the two.

[FONT=arial]lol, I just saw the movie, too. it was pretty cool, and the animation was great. the problem I had with it was they didn't go all that in-depth into the characters, and the whole Hitomi and Van thing seemed really all-of-a-sudden, but maybe that's just cuz I haven't seen the tv series or something *shrug*.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]yeah, the only way I got to see Gundam Wing, Trigun, EVA, Ah! My Goddess, Chobits......there's more, but I'll leave it at that....was through other ppl (mostly Queen Asuka :D). but I do try to buy my own as much as possible, so.....

oh yeah, Escaflowne! got a little off-topic there, lol....
[/FONT]

Hitomi and Van's relationship seemed to come a little out of nowehere to me, too. In the TV series, it really wasn't like that...

I liked a lot of the new and re-vamped character designs, except for Van's. I just hated him this time....his face looked like he was trying to grow a beard half the time, and I didn't like that coat he wore around his waist that made it look like he was wearing a skirt.....and he looked sorts stubby..... O.o I guess it's just because he didn't look elegant anymore like he did in the series.

The Vision of Escaflowne was the series' official English title. Escaflowne offered its viewers something new, if not, then something that hadn't been done in anime in a long time.

Escaflowne went for an iron-forged technological look that was miles off from the high-tech "crafty" cyberpunk works such as Macross, or Ghost in the Shell.

Romance in anime in general is something that's only recently come full circle with anime hits such as Sailor Moon and Fushigi Yugi, but it's also something that Escaflowne's story creator, Shoji Kawamori, had been involved in previously, in the show that put idol singers into the sci-fi mecha universe.

Character designs are okay, but I'd have to agree with amiboshi here, that coat was stubby looking, lol.

Escaflowne should definitely be one of those animes which you put over the likes of Macross and Gundam Wing.