OtakuBoards

More food for thought

Amphion

Or whatever you want to call it. Just something that grabbed my attention today after reading a short story in English class.

I wont explain the story because it is really irrelevant to the rest of the post. Here is the scenario.

>>

You have been in love with something for a good while. It can be a person, an experience, or anything else. All of a sudden this thing that you love so much, is taken away from you. It crushes you and you grieve about it for a very long time. You finally seem to get your feet back on the ground when a man appears to you one day and tells you he can take you back to that time and let you relive that time with the thing you love but just like before, it will eventually end again. And remember, this is something that you are truely and deeply in love with, that made you so happy when you had it. Something that you wish you had everyday of your life.

The question is:

"Would you take the mans offer and relive it?"

>>

Some say its better to have loved and lost than never loved at all.

I would rather think like this: love, lose, learn from the mistake and wait for something that will last.

I dont really know what to say when it comes to the offer above, but I'm thinking for now that I would say no.

Once it ends, its over and time to move on.
although I must admit that there are things in my own life that I would with out a doubt have a hard time turning down.

No, I wouldn't. Things begin and end, it's a part of life. I wouldn't torture myself by doing such things, no matter how good it seems. I mean, it's bad enough that you had to deal with it ending the firs time. The second time could potentially be even harder on you. I really don't see the point of living in the first place if I could just go back and redo everything.

I have a person that meant that much to me, and as much as I loved my time with her, it's just not to be anymore. Sometimes you just have to move on.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by genkai_yyh [/i]
[B]duh. at least you're prepared this time. and you can warn them, so that they can live what they have to the fullest! [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't think you can warn them. Just like before, it's going to end again... the exact same way.

I would never subject myself to that. If I had just grieved about it and relived that moment over and over in my own mind, why would I want to relive it again (this time for real), after I'd just decided to move on? I'd be doing nothing but torturing my own soul.

[color=red][b]I would not. It would be like watching your grandmother die from cancer, then go back and watch it again. Not good.[/b][/color]

[size=1]
Of course I wouldn't. If I am already relieved and over it then why would I want to witness it again? That is just like asking if you want the World Trade Centers back. It would be great for a while but then you would have to witness the airplanes crashing into the buildings and people jumping out of the windows and everything else that happened that horrible September day. Why would you want to see that again?[/size]

[color=indigo]Of course I WOULD!! Strange awnser, huh? Well let me do some explaning. If it was true love, and I mean absolutly and unconditionally, I would trade anything for just one moment with that person...even if I had to risk losing them again. This is why. I would want to tell them all of the things I left unsaid and just let them know that I loved them, unconditionally, one more time.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo]Of course I WOULD!! Strange awnser, huh? Well let me do some explaning. If it was true love, and I mean absolutly and unconditionally, I would trade anything for just one moment with that person...even if I had to risk losing them again. This is why. I would want to tell them all of the things I left unsaid and just let them know that I loved them, unconditionally, one more time.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Dude, I admire your honesty..

Not that everyone else isn't being honest.. but sometimes we can kind of answer in the way that we really should answer, rather than answer the way it really is..

Just so you all know, I'm not saying "you're lying", just that if you were ever given that kind of offer, you'd probably consider it a lot more than you think, especially considering what Heaven's Cloud just said about saying things that were unsaid and such.

Now, I'm not necessarily saying that you would eventually accept the offer, but you probably wouldn't turn it down quite as quickly or as easily as you think.

Personally, I'd be very tempted.. I don't know what the eventual outcome would be, whether I'd accept the offer or not, but I'd definitely consider it..

I think I'd take it, because even I'd know it would end, it'd be nice to have it again, even if it's just for a little while. At least then you know to enjoy it while you can- before you may not have made full use of it. But, that said, it'd be a lot harder to part with it a second time because you've loved it so much again. Like reopening a scar, it takes longer to fade away. Once you've let go, taking it back again can make it seem a little empty, cause you've learned to live without it. It's like you've spent so much time building yourself up just to have everything you've worked for thrown back in your face- it's been a waste of time otherwise. I know that feeling. But... I'm not so sure any more. Thinking about it now, I actually think I'd leave it. (First time I've changed my opinion in one post. A record for me)

In psychological terms, what Deus is explaining is called 'demand characteristics'- we answer how we think the person asking the question (or anyone else) wants to hear it. It's not a conscious thing (most of the time), it just sort of happens, if maybe you're afraid of reprival.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Amphion [/i]
[B]
The question is:

"Would you take the mans offer and relive it?"

>> [/B][/QUOTE]
No.
1. I don't want to repeat history. You'll never jump into the river with the exact water. What is gone then it's gone. Why bother to go back, while you can go on with new experience.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solo Tremaine [/i]
[B]In psychological terms, what Deus is explaining is called 'demand characteristics'- we answer how we think the person asking the question (or anyone else) wants to hear it. It's not a conscious thing (most of the time), it just sort of happens, if maybe you're afraid of reprival. [/B][/QUOTE]

Cool... I thought there may be some psychological term for it... being a physics and biochem student, I wouldn't have known it on my own though.. thanks..

I actually think it happens in a lot of opinion threads, but people just don't admit it..

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by \¤~NoodleZ~¤/ [/i]
[B][size=1]
Of course I wouldn't. If I am already relieved and over it then why would I want to witness it again? That is just like asking if you want the World Trade Centers back. It would be great for a while but then you would have to witness the airplanes crashing into the buildings and people jumping out of the windows and everything else that happened that horrible September day. Why would you want to see that again?[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]
First of all... I wouldnt consider the World Trade Center a "lost love"... and second of all...
DROP IT!!! I for one am sick of hearing about people bitching about the plane crash... IN FACT I'm more suprised it hadn't happened before then with all the crap that the U.S. gets away with...

but anywho... back to the question...

First of all I'd have to be over the Love first (ixne on that idea)...
and second of all... there's no way I would go back to this hurt if it ever left...
sorry if I'm weak... but it's been around 2 years now... and it's still there... another 2?? I'll pass on that thank you...

[b]Maybe [i]you[/i] wouldn't consider the World Trade Center a "lost love", but others might. If you are sick of people "bitching" about the WTC attacks, don't read or reply to someones post about it. Noodlez shouldn't have to drop it if he doesn't want to. I'm not saying you shouldn't reply to this thread at all by any means.

Staying on topic, I would go back and relive that entire sequence of events. If what was a girl I had fell in love with, I wouldn't hesistate to go back. Why? Because I would say and do everything I hadn't done with that person before, and be prepared for the crushing loss that ensued.[/b]

I'm torn between my decisions. I want to say yes, and I want to say no. It would be good to do it right, but then what if your life goes on and something very good happens? If you relive that moment, you would probably have never moved on, and thus, you would not have the happiness you have now. But if you do relive the moment, you have what you always wanted, unless that thing is not all you expected and you are only happy for a moment. I guess I'll say no. I'd rather have happiness now, rather than go back and be happy for a shor time.

I think anyone would consider it. People are tempted to do damn near anything, even if it's something right out wrong.

The fact is, personally, it's not something I would do. Of course, I'd play it out in my mind... And honestly I have before. I'm sure everyone has thought about doing something like that before, thinking about what they might do differently or whatever else. I was like that soon after losing this girl.

But a while later, you see things in a different light. The past is not something I want to relive. Memories are best left memories sometimes.