OtakuBoards

Diverse Schools

Zen

Okay, now my Dad is in the Army. I have lived in about 14 different homes, lived in about 7 different states, and i lived in Germany for about 2 and a half years. I just recently moved to a new base. The school i go to is probably one of the most diverse schools ever in the mid-west. There asians, whites, blacks, latinos, hispanics, and european kids that go to my school in about equal numbers. In the Army, you can't afford to be a racist or Biggot cuz you see all kinds. My best freinds are black ,hispanic, and white (which i am.) I hang with the rap crowd. I'm glad i go to a very diverse school and its probably the closest thing to a racial utopia as i'm going to get in my life time.

Now to the point. DOes anyone else here go to a school like mine. Do any of the OBers belong to a military family? Or is it just me? And what are your opinoins on this?

There are many Hispanics in my school... they undoubtedly make up at least 25% of the total population of it.

There are maybe less than 20 black people at my school, all of which hang out in just one group.

Maybe less than 10 Asians total.

And everyone else is just a white person.

My college is very heavily mixed. I couldn't even guess at what the percentages were, even if I wanted to.

My first high school... whites were the minority. It never seemed to matter. It was a small school and we all just had fun. I loved the place. It was mostly black and hispanic. I can only think of about two asian kids in the entire place.

My dad was in the Navy way back... He worked on air craft carriers and such. I have some cool photos of him fueling the Blue Angels.

My grandpas were mostly all in wars. My Grandpa Roti (my grandma remarried to him) was a POW in WWII.

I never got to ask him about it, he died from some sort of disease. My Grandpa Quigley was also in WWII. Apparently mostly in Japan. I have tons of really great photos he took... most of the carnage overseas. Some really striking, disturbing photos. He also brought back a big Japanese flag that I assume he took after a battle. It has Japanese writing all over it and it full of gunshot holes. It's a great momento.

My third one is my Grandpa Wetendorf. He was also in WWII. He was actually in the ship right next to the one that was bombed at Pearl Harbor. Good thing he was, or I wouldn't be here lol.

Well my dad's in the army and next week he'll have been in for 29 years. My Grandpa nash was in the Air Force during Veitnaum and my uncle was in the navy. I guess when I lived in Germany for 3 years and went to school on base it was the most diverse school I've gone to. You had Germans, Haspanic, Blacks, Whites, and a few Latnio.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Double_B_Daigo [/i]
[B] I'm glad i go to a very diverse school and its probably the closest thing to a racial utopia as i'm going to get in my life time. [/B][/QUOTE]

Racial Utopia. My god son, you consider a utopia where each race is equally represented? Why that would call for.. lets think, either drastic measures in the movement of people to pre-designated locations, or... Controlling the amount of childbirth in a specified area, allowing the minorities to have more children. Gee, sounds like a Utopia to me.

Honestly.. can we get over this now? Being around different colored people doesn't make you wiser than the vanilla masses. If anything it makes one naive by creating this faux image of "cultural understanding". Why don't people start to realize that skin has nothing to do with your mind? There's so much more to race. Get over it.

[color=royalblue]*looks at Drix* What the hell's your problem?

I go to a school that's bout as diverse as it'll ever get. Insane really, t he ammounts of different colors. I love it, because I like to think I'm color blind. I date all sorts of guys, no matter their race, and hang out with them all. They're equal in my eyes. Sure I've had guys come up to me and call me "damn skank *** white girl" but I'm not upset about it.

Not anymore. Besides, the cowards did it when my guys weren't hanging around. If they did, they would be forced into a locker. A very small locker.

Anyways yeah. JAMES LOGAN NEVER DIES MAN! That's the name of our highschool btw.[/color]

Rahia, it's not my problem, it's society's problem. It's just important that diago and yourself realize being surrounded by minorities doesn't socially enlighten someone. There's so much more to people. Whoever calls you a skank is just as guilty of this societial headache. Sorry if i come off as bitchy, but I've suffered too. It's gotta be brought out.

[color=royalblue]I never said I was socially enlightened. There's no such thing as social enlightenment. And we'll never get there. Just because you suffer doesn't mean we have to read it. Go write it down in a blog or something.

And for the record, I'm half German and half Chinese. I think I'm entitled to understanding a bit more about racism than some. Might help that my Chinese relatives don't like my German half. And my German relatives think my mother is a worthless whore.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Raiha [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]I never said I was socially enlightened. There's no such thing as social enlightenment. And we'll never get there. color] [/B][/QUOTE]

That's my point. Intriguing. Maybe we should discuss this in a PM , i don't want to piss off the moderators with my short posts. But allow me to elaborate on Social Enlightenment. I'm using the term in a figurative sense, it could be relative to "street", "gangsta", "preppy", or any other misconception that someone is somehow more socially "aware" (perhaps that is a better term?). The "enlightenment" wouldnt bother me if people would stop using it as a barganing chip. If I sound vague, PM me or something and I can elaborate without disturbing the thread topic.

My school is predominantly white, with about 10 aboriginals (I live in Australia) 2 chinese/Japanes and.... thats it. Also, why does it matter? There is more or equal difference between two white males as their is between the white male, and a black female. DNA wise, at least. Human DNA is about 99.98% the same, no matter your gender or colour. SO get over it.

my school is an arts school. so we have alsorts of peole go there, thats what makes my friends so great. they're a hoot to be around. you guys would like them. most of them are on the OrangeAnime boards if anyones been there.

well, i think i know what double b diago is talking about when he said "socially enlightened". he just didnt use the right word to fit the situation.
see, most of the kids at my stupid hick school are racist. the ones that arent either werent born here, or they are lucky. i think the stupid kids are racist because they dont [I]understand [/I] any culteral differnces. they dont understand just because your black, doesnt mean your gonna talk like a gangsta, or your going to be in a gang. they push stereotypes onto people (alot of kids assume because i am part egyptian, part german, part irish, i am a mix between asamu bin laden, hitler, and i have a short temper >.< )
so, by being around alot of people of a differnt race than you are, you can see for yourself that what the stupid people say arent true, they are just as normal (or not) as you.

Leah your argument makes some sense. But are you so quick to discount your peers as being "uneducated hicks"? Maybe because they don't try to emulate a cultural understanding, means just that. I know gay people, i understand what they are doing to be gay, but i don't emulate that behavior, I'm not gay. See? What irks me about this whole thing is kids are too cought up with the colors of their school BOTH ways. Kids in predominatly white schools apparently tend to be hicks, and lack an understanding of other cultures (if you call it a culture). And people in more diverse schools seem to be high-and mighty on their pedestal of "cultural acceptance". "But Drix!" You scream "How would a kid in a white school know what a black kid acts like???!/!?!" Simple, they don't. And neither does the black person nessicarily. Allow me to explain. People, especially minorities are reinforcing their cultural steryotypes through a faux understanding. Get it?

Refer to my reply on racism. I seemed to have scared everyone else off.
[url]http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29517&pagenumber=3[/url]

I think it's more that the thread has run it's course and no one has much left to say. At least in my case, even though I agree with a few of your points in there.

As for this thread, I don't feel I made any comments that would apply to where this is currently going. I just guessed on what mix the school was and nothing more... So continuing that, I have nothing more to really add to that or where this has gone.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth [/i]
[B]Racial Utopia. My god son, you consider a utopia where each race is equally represented? Why that would call for.. lets think, either drastic measures in the movement of people to pre-designated locations, or... Controlling the amount of childbirth in a specified area, allowing the minorities to have more children. Gee, sounds like a Utopia to me.

Honestly.. can we get over this now? Being around different colored people doesn't make you wiser than the vanilla masses. If anything it makes one naive by creating this faux image of "cultural understanding". Why don't people start to realize that skin has nothing to do with your mind? There's so much more to race. Get over it. [/B][/QUOTE]

What i ment b racial utopia is that there aren't any real racial slurs. there isn't like an all black group, although most of them are black, about 5 latinos' or Hispancs, and 3 white kids (including myself.) . YOu don't here stuff like, "That dumb mexican!" or stuff like that. Me and my freinds make fun of each other, but we just laugh at ourselves. Like my freind Omar is Puerto Rican and he'll call me like a cracker and i'll come back with shut up, mexican. And we'll just laugh cuz everyone has a good sense of humor and no one takes everything serously. Its just a fun place you can call home.

I went to well diversed school. White poeple were the only manority but they blended in well. I really didnt have any racists in my schools(the high school was actually two schools fused together). I see at as the ones who have gone to a diverse school can handle situations involving other people of different races better. My home was the run down, semi-ghetto, u know it cause u dont want to be there town right next to a prodiminatly white an rich town. I had friends who moved there so I used go there often.
I found out that most of those kids were kinda like wannabes. They always were tryin to hang out in our town, tryin to make freinds. All that most of them found was dealers to hook them up with the "goods". the ones, most of them girls, who did try an chill had the rep of going around the block a few times if ya know what I mean. They always made fun of the ones who didnt have what they did, couldnt do what they would, or didnt get what their parents bought them(cars an car parts). It made most of us sick an they would then get the crap beaten out of them.
I dont know if it was a bad expierence, but it was as if they thought they were better than us an thought they could become what we were and an show us how to do it right just because they have more cash than us. I moved into another area in another state an its the same freakin thing. makes me sick really. I know there are white people who arent like this but even some of them wouldnt even look at us right. It makes me think really. I see it as I went through a different kind of eduaction. I dont see races when I first meet u. I see people. I guess I lucked out. Theres no one kind of person that I automatically think doesnt deserve my attention. I let them prove that themselves. Don't get me wrong I have white friends too. an black, spanish, korean, an the whole bunch. But I have only gotten this kind of reaction from upper class white people. tTose who never set foot in my school. Its just something that some people can never understand cause thier world is so much different from ours.
Oh yeah a my father tried out for the marines but he broke his leg in training, so no go. My grandfather was in the armored division in WWII. his tank was hit by a rocket or something an he got shrapnel all in his leg. He got a medal though I forgot which one. Nothing like the meadal of honor or somehting that big but a smaller one for bravery or something.

There's probably less than four black people that attend my school. It's not bad for them, they don't cop any crap at all. Everyone thinks they're "cool", and they're in the "cool" group.

No asians at all. None. There's one kid who is half japanese, half british. He's alright.

The rest are white. It's the majority of the population at our school.

My great grandfather fought in the war, and went mad. He commited suicide. Since then, no-one in my family has been in the army.. not to mention, had anything to do with the army. I'm not sure why, I know I want to join the Navy some time. I get sea-sick, yeah, but... yeah.

Hey about military investitures, alot of my family was in the military. My Uncle was a captain in the navy during the Vietnam war, he got to fire off those big cannons!
My grandpa fought as a medic on the beaches of Normandy, he helped liberate Paris, then he was sent home after taking a bullet in the Ardenne. He was awarded a Silver Star , I belive, for saving over 50 men's lives in the battle of the bulge. He's a family hero, still alive to this day. Almost al lof his brothers (he had 5 I think) died in that war. He even fought next to my great uncle hank!
My great uncle hank was an engineer in world war 2. He helped blow up about 4 bridges. He's still got alot of souveneirs. He gave me an authentic german hat, and some feild glasses (binoculars).
My best friend's Grandpa fought on Iwo Jima, and Okinawa. He was captured at as a POW earlier in the war and watched his best friends be decapitated for sport. Eventually the camp was liberated and they found Private Waite (my best friends grandpa) nearly starved to death.
Oh and my next door neighbor is a Chinese Immigrant. He was alive during Japan's invasion of China. You know where he lived? Nanking. Read the book "The Rape of Nanking" to try and grasp what he's seen.
These people inspire me to realize the freedoms I posess. I would never take advantage of my freedoms.

My school is very predominantly White English. THere are a couple of indians, and we got about 5 people from Hong Kong this year. Other than that... well, I think theres a black guy in the 4th year, but I'm not sure.

By contrast, my first school, which was in Hong Kong, was about as cosmopolitan as you can get. Out of my friends there, one was Belgian, one was Australian, two were Half English, Half Filipino, and one Chinese. That was a great school, about 80% of the people were Chinese, but there was never any kind of racism, although that may have been because we were all aboput 10!

My school is mega diverse (we gots about 1,000 peeps) I think it's like 55% white, 48% black and 15% "Other"(I don't really use the term "Other" I just don't feel like listing the many races and stuff).
It's tight though cuz like 13% of that 118% raps and a lotta people like to get it going....

I think your school is awesome. I go to a school that's like that except there is a majority of white people. Ther is a large number of asians though. We have only a few black people, indians, and hispanics. It's really fun. My dad used to be in the military, somewhat. He was an air force mechanic.