I love answering this question! Hmm, I guess I'll go with my top 5.
[b]King Of Fighters series[/b] SNK's big crossover fighting game between their classic games, though it's in its own universe was always a source of fun. It's always about the characters in this game. Be it Terry Bogard and his awesome phrases, the Ikari Warriors team and their tokusatsu poses or Ryo Sakazaki and his "ora ora!" The games always had a lot of personality and it's what's inspired me to do what I do.
[b]Metal Gear series[/b] Metal Gearrr... hmm, I guess it doesn't work in text. The Metal Gear series is a favorite of mine and many others for it's stealth gameplay and crazy characters. I remember playing the first Metal Gear Solid and being blown away at the time for it's story telling. The Metal Gear series made me realize that games could tell a smart story and that it could be considered art. Ironic... Kojima claimed games aren't art. But that's another discussion is it not?
[b]Street Fighter series[/b] The first gaming franchise I ever cared about! Ok, so the first one wasn't so good but how can you really argue that the Street Fighter series isn't legendary? As a kid I would play this game everyday and made darn sure that I learned my favorite characters moves and I used to be so good. Now... not so much, but don't get me wrong I'm still not a pushover. ^__^ My favorite in the series would have to be Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
[b]The Elder Scrolls Series[/b] Specifically Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, but I loved part 3: Morrowind as well. The reason it's so high on my list is because the Elder Scrolls universe is just so rich with back history and wonder that I can never get enough of it. I've also loved high fantasy and what makes me love this series is because this series, and more specifically Oblivion is that immerses you into the fantasy setting. Gosh, I think I'll go play this game now.
[b]Shenmue series[/b] Perhaps, I'm not in a big group with this one, but I don't care. Shenmue 1 and 2 are my favorite games of all time. The theme song is playing in my head as I write this. Shenmue is such a beautiful story about martial arts and spirituality and morality it's hooked me in and I never let go. Learning about martial morality, experiencing natural beauty that not many others see in person, and learning about yourself. Shenmue was such a big adventure that it's been my head 10 years later and still hasn't moved to the back of my mind. With Sega releasing Dreamcast games on the Playstation 3, and X box 360 I can assume these 2 games, or at least the 1st one if they don't want to release the European version of the sequel can be re-released so I can play them again. I also hope for a 3rd game to finally finish the story but with the way Sega's been making some games now... I don't know.