OtakuBoards

Spirited Away

Genkai

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wiccansamurai [/i]
[B]:drunk: I'm sure in a few days i'll agree with you, but as long as its the freshest anime on my mind, its the best! :p u cannot say Princess Monoke was bad!!!! all the blood, all the gore, and the romance!!!!!! :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually Princess Monoke Hime was probably one of the few of his works that I liked. Probably since it dealt with things in a much more mature style then the other films also the fact that the characters were older and teenagers helped however bleh I'm getting off topic.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the movies are GREAT! I've seen all his film except Totoro and Castle in the Sky. It's strange how I managed to get Naussica of the Valley of the Wind. I found it at a yard sale last year, and it was a 14-year old recording (it was in a brown video cassette case and there was a label on the spine that said 'Warriors of the Wind'). It was in English, though. I thought it was good! However, out of all M.'s films, Mononoke (Gawd, typing that name out is a chore!) is the best, I think. And Chihiro IS adorable!

I was surprised that Spirited Away won an Oscar...I had no idea! Really, I didn't even know when it was on. Oh well, so it did. :p

I borrowed S.A. and Mononoke from a friend the other month, and watched both. However, I watched Mononoke 3 times, and Spirited Away once! I dunno, I like S.A, but it seemed a LITTLE more boring than the others. Probably cuz it takes place in modern Japan (?):rolleyes: I just thought San was a neat character. When I watched it, I was amazed at her voiceover...she was good! Pretty fierce, too. I figured she couldn't talk, given she was raised by wolves. -_-'

Oh, yeah! I'm also borrowing Castle in the Sky today, so I get to see that, too (so, I guess I will be seeng it after all)! The only films bother watching are animations. 'Doesn't matter to me WHO does them, as long as they suit my interest.

I may go off topic a bit, but has anyone seen the previews for the new Sinbad movie coming out June 3rd? Sign me UP! :D

Naussia of Wind Valley was really, really good :) It was the first Studio Ghibli film as I recall. The fantasy/sci-fi world they lived in, and the apocalyptic giants were pretty cool :) Castle in the Sky... I love that grandma pirate :p shes soooo cool lol

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Metatron [/i]
[B] Castle in the Sky... I love that grandma pirate :p shes soooo cool lol [/B][/QUOTE]

I shivered everytime I saw her. Especially in the end, when she hugged Sheeta. :nervous:

:cool: I think this's turning into a Miyazaki thread! :p Not that I didn't see it coming!

Oh come on! That grandma pirate is awesome! She is stronger than all of her kids, runs faster than them, is stubborn, has iron will, is pretty kind, and shes just... cool! I wish I had a grandparent like that :p

:nervous: GAWD! Xuze me for my observation, but her boobs are HUUUUGE!!!!! (and so is her nose, and her chin, which looks like a butt...)

She's not even graying! She's got pink braids! :cross:

But, yeah, she IS cool! Sure is kickin' for an old lady...

Lets assume she had plastic surgery and dyed her hair then okay? :p
Has anyone else seen 'Naussia of Wind Valley'? I don't think its that popular in the U.S., but its the first studio Ghibli film and its a very good movie. If anyone saw it, I would like some opinions on it :) if not, then I would recommend u guys to c it :p

Ahaha...ha. I have Nausicaa, and it's a strange story on how I came across it. Refer to one of my posts in this thread on my lucky encounter! :D

I think it's a bad-*** movie. Zan (almost sounds like San, and Sin...uh, similarities?) is a great character. But I hated Milo, he looked like a 10-year-old. I liked it when he was in that small airplane and was shooting at the airships. That's the only scene Milo looked good in.

I think the coolest person in Nausicaa was the army-general lady with the fake gold arm. I liked the way that she was always taking ppl hostage.

• 4 months later...
I recently saw this movie on Dvd and realised why it has been labeled as one of the best looking anime's of all time. The effects in the movie were amazing and if I saw it in the cinema I think the effect would be even greater.
Incase there is already a thread about this my sincere apologies but I just thought I'd ask about what everyone else thought about this movie if they have seen it \ if not.
I quite liked the dragon while, the scene where it is being chased by the whitches razor paper things is quite good. And despite it's unpleasant meaning the way the blood whacked up against the wall when it shot out of the building was really well done.

[size=1][color="666666"]
Yes I agree that the Animation is amazing. The story line was alittle out of the way but other than that it was amazing. It was done by the same Artist that made Princess Mononoke I think not sure so don't quote me. Any way the paper was pretty cool but after all it cut the dragon. I don't want to spoil any of it so I won't explain any more.
[/size][/color]

Guest Skyechild91
HAku was the water spirit, and Chihiro is the girls name, Yubaba is the bad witch, and Zeneba i the goos witch. Sen is Chihiro's other name.

[color=indigo]
I actually saw this FOUR TIMES in the theaters. Yup, it was that good. I currently own the video and the soundtrack. I want to see the DVD extras sooo much!

My favorite part was probably the very beginning, when they find the restaurant and Chihiro meets Haku. Not sure why, but that part just makes me tingle every time. I suppose it's because I wish something like that would happen to me.

I used to hate Chihiro because she was something of a crybaby, but when I realized what she had to deal with, I let up on her a bit. I still like Haku best though.
[/color]

Haku-is-so-hot! I wanna go swiming in his river!*Sailor star whacks her over the head with her famous folding chair* Okay okay. That movie WAS awsome. God I love. If only I owned it*sniff*...I love the story it's so cool...Man it was only in for like a friggen day so you must have had your butt achin at the end Stick Fairy...I wish I owned it!!!!!!!*burst out swobing while chicking out this is my 109th post*

[size=1]I really enjoyed this movie.

The animation was great, and I really liked Chihiro. I thought she was a strong character. I didn't think she was too whiney. *tilts head* She reminded me of, well, me.

I really liked No-Face, before he went all [spoiler]psycho and started eating people.[/spoiler] He seemed lonely, and sad. But he liked Chihiro, and wanted to help her. *grins* If you could hear the way that was supposed to sound, it would be very deliberate, child-like speech.

The way Chihiro kept curling up when she was very upset made me smile. I do the same thing. /

I really liked the "susuwatari" or whatever you call them--soot sprites! In Kamaji's room. Heh. I loved [i]My Neighbor Totoro[/i], and seeing the soot sprites again made me laugh out loud.

I just [i]really[/i] enjoyed this movie. [/size]

[size=1] *mouth drops*

You've seen Totoro! [i]You've seen it![/i] Lol, I adore that movie, and nobody else I know has seen it! ^__^ It was my first anime movie, and it's one of my favorites.

Well, Spirited Away is a great anime movie as well. It appeals to anime fans [i]and[/i] non-anime fans, if you will. My sister sees no appeal in anime and has no idea as to why I love the stuff. The minute she started watching Spirited Away, she was hooked. Miyazaki is a genious with movies, really.

Well...my favorite character was No-Face. *looks around* There's something about that monster that makes me feel good. I actually felt [i]very[/i] sorry for him later on in the movie, and I just liked him. Er...yeah.

Chihiro acted exactly like a girl her age would, except that she was very courageous and brave, which really makes me appreciate Miyazaki's work on this movie. I'm always seeing these child prodigies who act like depressed [i]weirdos[/i] to make it blunt, or the very bubbly-school-girl. All the spirits in the movie were captivating as well, and I loved those ducky-looking things. :P [/size]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkblue]I thought this movie was very cute! The animation was awsome. Haha... it kinda scared my little brother, don't know why though. At first I just thought it was an interesting movie... but the more I watched I liked even more each time. I recomend this movie.... to anybody![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote]HAku was the water spirit,[/quote] Haku was the water spirit? Haha, that's pretty cool. Is Haku some kind of Japanese Water Myth, because there's another Haku that was a "water master" in another anime, so I figure Haku's some kind of water story guy. [quote]You've seen Totoro! You've seen it! Lol, I adore that movie, and nobody else I know has seen it! ^__^ It was my first anime movie, and it's one of my favorites.[/quote] I've seen Totoro, but that was when I was really young and wasn't into anime. I saw it like three or four times, but it was so long ago that I only remember a few things. I have absolutely no memory of the story (was there a story?). Haha, the only thing that stays completely fresh in my mind is the beginning where the girl goes home and takes off her shoes before going on the main part of the house. That was the first time I found out about that custom, and I thought Japanese people were super clean people or something. Good thing my sister knew, or else that would have bugged me forever.

Then in sixth grade, I remember reading a book called "Dragon Wings" (or "something" wings), and the ONLY thing that stayed in my mind was that Chinese (and Japanese) people had their name and surname reversed. The book was about a father and his son moving to USA during the rise of Communism in China. If anyone knows the name of the book, that would be grand.

EDIT: And yes, you can see this creator's work a mile away. There was some other old manga he made called Nausicaa that's now an anime. Haha, I could tell right off the bat it his work!

[I]July 04, 2003[/I]

[20:48] cassiato99: i will let you burrow nausicaa of the valley of the wind
[20:48] cassiato99: when i get it
[20:48] cassiato99: cause its a nice movie
[20:48] AzureWolf17: Sure.
[20:48] cassiato99: in my humble opnion
[20:48] AzureWolf17: that's why you got the book.
[20:48] AzureWolf17: :P
[20:48] cassiato99: ?
[20:48] AzureWolf17: I know, you got the DVD.
[20:48] AzureWolf17: That was a joke, about how you like books.
[20:48] cassiato99: it was actually based on a manga
[20:48] AzureWolf17: Manga? Haha, I knew it sounded familiar!
[20:49] AzureWolf17: Haha, so you like anime?
[20:49] cassiato99: yea...
[20:49] cassiato99: i do
[20:49] AzureWolf17: Whoa! Eww...
[20:49] cassiato99: lol?
[20:50] AzureWolf17: It's by that Hayao Miyazaki.
[20:50] AzureWolf17: He makes the weirdest anime...
[20:50] cassiato99: what is so bad about tha??
[20:50] cassiato99: exactly
[20:50] cassiato99: weird=nice
[20:50] cassiato99: simple formula
[20:50] AzureWolf17: Have you seen Spirited Away?
[20:50] cassiato99: i plan on it
[20:50] cassiato99: this summer
[20:51] AzureWolf17: Well, just so you know.
[20:51] AzureWolf17: Hayao was smoking the good stuff when he made it.
[20:52] cassiato99: haha
[20:52] cassiato99: are you sure about that
[20:52] cassiato99: may just be a rumor
[20:52] AzureWolf17: What do you mean?
[20:52] AzureWolf17: I saw it myself.
[20:52] AzureWolf17: That's why I said he makes weird stuff.
[20:52] AzureWolf17: I also saw that Totoro thing.
[20:53] cassiato99: Totoro?
[20:53] cassiato99: anyway
[20:53] cassiato99: the movie im talking about is about a bunch of giant insects
[20:53] cassiato99: i guess some people might think thats strange
[20:53] AzureWolf17: Haha, well, I doubt that's the strangest thing about it.
[20:53] AzureWolf17: I love anime.
[20:53] AzureWolf17: :D
[20:54] AzureWolf17: I'm not the biggest fan of Hayao's work, but I'm open to check it out.
[20:54] AzureWolf17: I just think he's weird.