OtakuBoards

Spirited Away

Genkai

Well I can say for sure that the flood is on its way.

I saw a commercial for this movie in theatres, so that is majorly important.

Think about it...

Akira has been rumored for movie theatres for the last 10 years, yet it is never in sight.

However, this movie is on a low profile situation... gets an award and boom... movie theatres across the country.

That is a good sign that this movie is gonna get serious press and its gonna get alot of newbies into anime.

So like I said before... we will see.

But I only see positive things on the horizon.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=green]I just got back from seeing Spirited Away, and I've got to say, it was worthy of it's oscar. It was an AMAZING movie, with a few parts that were a little distrubing, and many funny ones, and a great storyline overall. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys...well...any type of movie. It was really very wonderful.[/color]

Horrible News!!!

The Academy of motion Picture Arts and Sciences took back Spirited Away's oscar!!! and they gave to Lilo and Stitch!!! There was some kind of recount with the votes... I think that it's stupid and they should keep the oscar, Spirited Away was better then Lilo and Stitch anyway!!!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Forest_Pixie [/i]
[B]Horrible News!!!

The Academy of motion Picture Arts and Sciences took back Spirited Away's oscar!!! and they gave to Lilo and Stitch!!! There was some kind of recount with the votes... I think that it's stupid and they should keep the oscar, Spirited Away was better then Lilo and Stitch anyway!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=teal][size=1][b]Yup, that's right.

After the recount, they found Lilo & Stich had only less than 5 more votes than Spririted Away.Here's the full report.[/b][/size][/color]

[quote]Spirited Away Oscar taken back! Recount reveals Lilo & Stitch to be the true winner!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced today that a special request by Disney executive Kym Murphy has revealed Lilo and Stitch to be the winner of the Oscar for Best Animated Feature.

"The difference was quite small," Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Frank Pierson explained. "Only a small number of votes separated Spirited Away and Lilo and Stitch. The recount revealed a cache of additional votes that were previously unaccounted for. After tallying these votes, Lilo and Stitch ended up on top by fewer than five votes!"[/quote]

[size=1][color=darkblue] It is great to see spirited Away bring home an oscar to the Anime world. It is only the second ever to win that award. Monsters Inc. I believe won the inaugral one last year. So considering it is a very young oscar that they have won. It speaks volumes about the potential of Anime if the west.

I'm not sure when Spirited away comes out in New Zealand, but when it does, you can be sure I'll se it the opening week. [/size][/color]

SA was re-released into 800 theaters after it won the Oscar. It's a great film, and although Disney did buy the rights they had nothing to do with the creative process, that was all Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's work and effort. It deserved the award because it was the best movie in the lot.

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]Hmm... well, I actually liked both Lilo and Stitch and Spirited Away. I think both of them would've deserved Oscars, though it's a shame they had to take the Oscar away... = /

I'm really curious why they would do a recount [i]after[/i] the awards were given out, though...[/color] [/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Forest_Pixie [/i]
[B]Horrible News!!!

The Academy of motion Picture Arts and Sciences took back Spirited Away's oscar!!! and they gave to Lilo and Stitch!!! There was some kind of recount with the votes... I think that it's stupid and they should keep the oscar, Spirited Away was better then Lilo and Stitch anyway!!! [/B][/QUOTE]
Ha ha, April Fools, right? :rolleyes:

[size=1][color=darkblue] Damn april fools

I was getting very pissed off about it too. Thank God they didn't take it back, and it was only an april fools joke.

Even if they did recount and find lilo and stitch was the true winner, I would think spirited away would keep the oscars just due to the academy's incompetence (or thier accounting firm who do the counting, PriceWaterhouseCoopers)

And I was all ready to blast the Academy too :p [/size][/color]

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]Soo.. It wasn't true? :twitch:

That was a cruel, cruel thing to do. --; I knew somehow they wouldn't re-count after giving out the oscar, though I really did fall for it. x.x;[/color] [/size]

• 4 weeks later...
Who saw this movie and what did you guys think of it?
I personally loved this movie cuz it was really weird and I loved the whole idea about what could be happening to people when they are actually 'spirited away'. There were actually cases in Japan when people(usually kids) disappear, and is found on the other side of Japan a day later, or when they disappear and is found 3 months later w/ no recollection of having disappeared. I liked the Bath House idea and it was hilarious to me that a witch was running it. The kaonashi(noface? faceless? i dunno english trans.) was funny cuz it was evil for a while, then suddenly became all peaceful and nice. I thought the animation was great(its a given if its from Studio Ghibli), and the cgs that were implemented were really smooth and beautiful too. Soo wat did u guys think of it?

[size=1][color=firebrick] 3 words, Best Movie Ever.

Akira, eat your heart out! This movie was truly remarkable. Like you said, the cg scenes implemented in the movie were smooth, beautifull and flawless. Especially the [spoiler] lake and train scene at the end, where chichiro goes to find Baba's sister.[/spoiler]

The whole story was thoroughly entertaining, as well as having amazing art direction, and flawless characters. I won't go into too much of the story however, i would leave that until more people have seen it.

If you have not seen this movie, I thoroughly reccomed you see it immediately :D [/size][/color]

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
Pretty good movie though once again Miyazaki theme's in certain aspects of mythology and the enviromental themes are recycled in this film. Pretty decent movie though I still don't think it was Oscar worthy of the praise it's now getting.

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]I saw it in theaters. It was a great film, and worthy of the hype that had surrounded it. I watched the Academy Awards only to make sure it won for Best Animated Picture.

It still isn't my favorite film. In fact, none of the Miyazaki stories are. They are solid tales indeed, but they have never impressed me.[/color][/font]

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
I'm pretty sure we had another thread of this somewhere about a page back, oh well for the 3 or 4th time. Spirited Away is a pretty decent flick nice story but once again we have Miyazaki recycling his old themes of japanese myths and also protecting nature. Pretty good though still I think it's not as oscar worthy as everyone is claiming. Depends on what type of fan you are, I'm not a big fan of Miyazaki's work he's only done a handful of decent animes.

Miyazaki rox! 2 bad thats the last film hes making.... I wonder how STudio Ghibli will fare without him? And out of curiosity, where does protecting nature come out in Spirited Away? I don't think I noticed anything about protecting nature(Besides Haku's River). And Miyazaki did only a handful of decent animes? Lets see... Nautica of Wind Valley, Totoro, The castle in the sky, princess mononoke, Spirited away... the list goes on(I'm not gonna list cuz I only know them in Japanese =P) I'd say that man's a genius.

Ive seen a lot of His work! He is pretty Good I Own Both sprited away and princess mononoke. Their asome, ALthout Princess was kinda, shall I say exausting, I thought it would never end, but once I finished, I watched it 3 more times. lol. And As for sprited away, It was asome, the love htign was the sweetest, even htou they were like 10? lol, but still his work will be greatly missed.

I watched Princess Mononoke 46 times so far lol(no joke). I first saw it when it caem out, then bought the video, then kept on seeing it in like 2 week intervals :) I just loved it cuz it reminded me of these little Japanese ghost/demon stories I used to read about. Spirited Away was a bit weird since all those monsters? or demons? w/e they are, were... not exactly normal... but that love part was sweet and sooooo cute...I liked that old man too... the dude with 8 legs. Hilarious when he runs around with his 'arms'.