OtakuBoards

Spirited Away

Genkai

Spirited Away was amazing.... I enjoyed it very much! The storyline was amazing, I have never seen a movie that pulled me in as much as Spirited Away did! I have seen other Studio Ghibli movies such as Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service but none of those compare to the beauty and elegance of Spirited Away. If you haven't seen this movie I reccomend it to you! Go see it now! :wigout:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the movie. I thought the animation was beautiful and I loved all the Japanese folklore that was included. It was like seeing Santa, the Easter Bunny, Cupid and so on going to the spa.

My favorite character would have to be the Namahage since it reminds me of what my parents would tell my brother and I when we were little. If we didn't do our chores the Namahage would come and take us away! And to see the Namahage walking in to the bath house just caught me as being amusing. It is so out of character to seem them "after work". Normally when they are thought about it is screaming and busting into your home looking for lazy children! I guess it would be like seening Satan working in a flower garden, just a bit out of character and amusing. I know they didn't have a big part, if you can even call it that, but it just made me think about my parents and growing up.

I love all the gods and other characters in the bath house. I thought that was a very original idea to put into an animation. I enjoyed the movie more than Kiki because I felt the characters were a bit more colorful in Spirited Away. :)

• 10 months later...
[quote name='Cahoots34']...the plot seemed more than slightly contrived. Haku and Chihiro, while perhaps a likely couple in later life, seemed to fall in love for no reason more than the necessity of such a cliched bond between them. How many children find true love at 10 years old (or something to that effect), especially with a voice actress like Chihiro's?[/quote][color=indigo]I [i]never[/i] saw the relationship of Chihiro and Haku as one of romance.

Haku [spoiler]remembered Chihiro from when she fell into the river as a young girl. He carried her to safety then, and protected her when he saw her again.[/spoiler] While much of the movie focuses on their relationship, I really feel that it's one of close friendship.

Chihiro is lonely and afraid, and she's very lost. Haku comes to her, helps her, keeps her safe. He protects her. Later, [spoiler]when he's cursed and dying[/spoiler], she saves him. [spoiler]They help one another find their names and free themselves from Yubaba's control.[/spoiler] I don't see any evidence of "true love" or anything like that.

You can love someone without being in love with them.[/color]

[quote name='Lore][color=indigo']You can love someone without being in love with them.[/color][/quote] [COLOR=blue]Words most anime fans (elite or otherwise) really need to listen to and understand. That's truly one of the most problematic things I've noticed when it comes to anime (and anime fans) in general: "Oh, look, those two are [i]talking[/i] too each other like friends do! It must be love! Hehehe, and guy-guy or girl-girl love is between anyone with the same endowments and they are shown in the same shot!"

*cough* Getting back to Spirited Away, I really wonder how Ghibli manages to do that animation. Everything always moves in a hypnotic fashion. You can't help but appreciate it when watching.

Did anyone find the story to be weird as hell? O_o[/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
:love2: It's one of my favorite movies, I saw with my anime buddies and it was funny. Faye thought the dragon boy was so cool. lol What I love most was the art of the film. I think I saw a biography of the making of the movie once and they said it was all hand drawn it blew me away. I hope that I can do that some day, but I don't know the road to take.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...