OtakuBoards

.hack//SIGN

James

Rumour has it it'll be broadcast on Cartoon Network in the US. Although there'd probably be no way of getting it here in the UK for several months :bawl: It sounds like a really good concept. There was a live-action TV series a long time ago called the Oddessy (sp?) about this boy who was stuck in a coma and travelled this fantasy world trying to get out and find his father. It was very good, and sounds similar to this, which can't be a bad thing. I assume that that's one of the characters on your avatar, James (and also Sephiroth too, if I remember right), yes? They look very well done. And a good soundtrack sounds promising, too. I like anime music. I look forward to its arrival with hopeful anticipation.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=#507AAC]Yeah, it's a very interesting concept.

.hack//SIGN is essentially a prequel to the first PS2 game, .hack//INFECTION vol. 1

So, ideally, you should watch the series and play the game as you watch it. I managed to get the entire Japanese series first...which I've been watching. I don't know how good the game will be, but the anime is fantastic.[/color]

I'll order it from discountanimedvd.com or whawtever, the otaku's sponsor.

It's true, in the beginning of february, .hack//SIGN will be on CN at 4 or something. DAMN.A They're going to lkil;l it, and there will be moronic fanboys who know nothing. Unless it fails... hmm..

The game, from what I've heard, will be a lot like Wild Arms, gameplay wise. The graphics are bad, but the fact that it's a game... about a game kind'a forces you around the fact. "Blame the Game, why? Because it's a game!" It has a unique presentation like no other has, from what I heard, you play as the green haired guy in James' avatar, he has apparently just joined, but hackers input a virus that doesn't allow him to leave. He gets stuck having to beat the hackers so he can leave. That's just what I heard, it's quite tentative. Although it does make a good story.

This rumour of the story does intrigue me more about the anime, and it makes me strive further to get it. I wish these sort of odd things would actually happen in real life. A game where you acctually get into the game? That's just cool. I'd buy it for any cost!

[color=#507AAC]Yeah, in .hack//SIGN, Tsukasa gets stuck in the game. At first, you kind of think that it's just a simple problem.

But as the series goes on, you realize that there is a [i]very[/i] sinister reason as to why he is stuck. Hint: Evil Artificial Intelligence has something to do with it. ~_^

I won't give away anything else though. This anime is far more complex than I first thought -- the game will ship with an OAV called .hack//LIMINALITY, which seems to take place primarily in real life.

There is also a manga called .hack//DUSK, which is now apparently being made into an anime series.

So there is [i]plenty[/i] of story going on here. ^_^[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick Hunter [/i]
[B].hack//Sign is a pretty solid anime with an interesting concept and plot definitely I would recommend it for people that like their animes to have interesting storylines and character development.[/B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=blue]
It sounds like my kind of anime. :toothy: I've heard good and bad things about this series, but I still can't wait to see it. I'm trying not to get to hyped up about it. (I do that a lot with animes.)
And I found a pretty cool Japanese site also. (Although everyone else has probably seen it before already.) I have some questions regarding the game.

[B]1.[/B] Isn't the avatar that James is using, not Tsukasa, but Kite, a new character in the video game?

[B]2.[/B] I heard that they are selling the OVAs with the game, or have I just heard wrong?

[B]3.[/B] If anyone has seen most or all of the series, what do you think it would be rated? The game is said to have "mature sexual themes". The anime isn't like that too, is it?

If you think it seems too copy-cat that I have a Tsukasa avatar, tell me and I'll change it. (I didn't know that Sephiroth, and Axel had him for their avatars.)[/COLOR]

[color=#507AAC]

1) Correct. Kite is from .hack//INFECTION. He is not featured in .hack//SIGN.

2) In Japan, .hack//INFECTION comes shipped with the OVA titled ".hack//LIMINALITY". I assume that the same will occur in other countries, but I'm not sure.

3) I've seen about half of the series so far. It's not really sexual in nature, though it does have some occasional swearing. There is a slight underlying sexual theme (based only one what I've read, not what I've seen -- it seems to happen a bit later on). But as far as I know, it's not much of an issue.[/color]

[color=#507AAC]I can help you with names.

You're mostly right though.

Zea = Tsukasa
Une = Subaru
Uncle = Bear (although they mostly call him Bear; Uncle is a nickname)
Enhan = Ginkan

Most of the place names are also wrong in the subtitles. Bleh.[/color]

[b][color=003399]I called pretty much the only anime store in London today and got a stark 'we don't have it' response. Lovely.

So now that I'm going to have to buy this anime on the internet, can anyone recommend a place to buy it from?[/b][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
I also saw the commercial for it, but unlike everyone else, I dont really care too much about what cn does to it becuase if they didnt bring it to me, no one would.

And like I also say when it gets into that discussion, something is better than nothing.

On the subject of hack sign, I think this show looks to have promise.

The charactors all look pretty good, although I will admit that Im not a fan of markings on charactors faces, such as the ones on this show or zoids chaotic century.

But the plot of the show sounds like a good one. The real judgment for me will be based on the execution of a convincing story.

.hack//SIGN r0x0rz.

I bought 15 episodes this summer off of Ebay, and it was pretty sweet. I've just never taken the time to get the rest of the series, but the other day I saw the .hack//SIGN PS2 import game at the Mitsuwa marketplace near my house, and I kinda went berserk.

First of all, because I really really like .hack//SIGN. Second of all cuz I really really like video games. Third of all cuz it's in Japanese.

Combine those with the fact that I don't have a PS2, much less a MODDED PS2, and I was about to pop.

And the fact that Mitsuwa had the new Zelda, which I can't play on my GC cuz of a lack of a MOD... Grrr.

Gokents, I understand where you're coming from entirely. I'm just saying that I hope we get to see it with the great music and as much of the content intact as possible. Of course, I'm using the episodes that are broadcast as a basis for whether or not I'm buying the DVDs. But you are right. Something is better than nothing.

BandWidth, I'm sorry to hear that you can't buy the game. Which game was it? There are at least 3.

More details regarding releases:

The game .hack//Infection is being released in early February.

Each DVD volume of .hack//SIGN is going to be released as a DVD-only version and a limited edition version. Each limited edition version will come with a soundtrack and a DVD box for the entire set. The entire set will run about $260 for limited edition. The standard DVD set will run you about $180. There will be 6 DVD volumes total.

Well, that's everything I've heard so far.

Now I have seen up to the sixth episode and my love for this series has faded greatly. I am no where near the end of this series, and it already feels pointless and boring. I suppose when it comes on CN I'll watch it, since I'll have easy acess then.

I am just glad I didn't order it. For anyone who has seen alot of the series, does it get better and more action packed later in the series? Or does it stay it's same boring self?

I noticed the other day on "extended play" that a game about an online rpg that ends up trapping some kids is out for the ps2.

Oddly its called "hack dot" and one of the main charactors looks just like a charactor from hack sign.

Same hair style and all that.

Has anyone else caught this?