OtakuBoards

Unfair topic locking...

aj142

Okay, my topic was, "What's the longest amount of time you've ever spent on a game?" and Justin locked it. I feel so discriminated against - how is my topic any less appropriate than some of the other topic headers, such as:

"Pop goes your brain"
"Competition - who has the Best Chat Convo?"
"Weird yet unique things about yourself"
"Gotta love my English Class"
"Ob Names!?"

... etc., etc.. I mean, this IS the lounge, so any topic should do, right? I don't see how my topic is any better or any worse than anyone else's. I would just like a little more of an explanation as to why my topic was deemed so 'inappropriate' for an 'anything goes'-type forum.

Those topics could lead to discussion. Asking that wouldn't get any real discussion, probably just people trying to top the other on how long they've gamed.

Also, this is the wrong forum. A whole section of the boards is devoted to gaming. The lounge isn't part of it.

Now that you undertand, this topic has a good chance of being closed too. But that's not my job. Remember to read the rules....:lecture:

Also, "Pop Goes Your Brain" has been closed as well...yeah...

Well, first off, this sort of thread should have been a pm to the mods of your choice.

Second, some topics have places in other rooms.

Also, some topics are just plain no good. Like that pop goes your brain. That thread had the code figured out in the first 5 post, so what was the point of keeping it alive.

I think the best thing to do is take a good look at the rules of the boards, and then think about what you are posting and ask yourself if it is even close to spam.

I know how you feel... I have had my threads closed "wrongfully" before. But its important to remember that usually its not wrongfully, and that if it really was wrongfully closed, you can write a pm to an administrator and they will be honest with you and the mod that closed your thread.

In the end, I believe that the boards are fairly moderated and almost always reasonable about listening to the members.

By the way, aj142, are you in L.A. or LA. because I live in mandeville. So whats up?

Threads are very rarely unfailry locked.
The two of my threads that were ever locked were either, as out by the mods, Ignorant on my behalf, or, Repetitive i.e, they have been discussed before.

Moderators usually give a reason before closing the threadl, however, in this case, It was just moved.

and this does belong in Suggestions and feedback imho

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]You posted it in the wrong place. It's not locked at all, it's in one of the game forums. The Sony one actually. [/B][/QUOTE]

:blush:

[i]Actually[/I], I locked it in there too, lol. I remember seeing his post before Justin ever got to it, hoping that it wouldn't be moved there.

I know that I've already explained my reasoning behind locking the topic again, but I just want to make it clear to aj142 that it's nothing personal and that I'm not trying to be unfair either. :angel:

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]Well, when a thread is locked, there's always some form of reason why the mod chose to close it. They don't just go around thinking 'Oh I'm bored, might as well go close one of those threads...'

There's always some sort of decision involved. Some might seem unfair, but might really be closed because it was getting too spammy, or their question had been answered. Don't think of the closings to be too personal. ^_-[/color] [/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Juuthena [/i]
[B][color=deeppink] [size=1] 'Oh I'm bored, might as well go close one of those threads...'-[/color] [/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Besides, if they were bored, they'd post [i]in[/i] the thread, rather than close it.:)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Vampire: Ed [/i]
[B]No, but a name like Sniglefager will.... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red] That was so prejudice... :Bops him on the head: :p

[color=indigo]Yet so funny at the same time... :whoops: - Desbreko[/color]

Anways...back on topic. Mods are people, too. You have to stop and realize that one time or another. A mod can't be completely right all of the time, nor can they be of complete relevance and rationality at all times. They also have to be quite fleeting of their personal opinions on closing a topic, and do it mainly for the good of the boards.

So just think, if you were a mod, do you think you'd be so [i]perfect[/i], hmm? I think not. Errors are human.

But I will have to say, I try to do my best. I guess for some that's not enough.

[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B][color=red]Anways...back on topic. Mods are people, too. You have to stop and realize that one time or another. [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

You say that as if you everyone thought mods were mindless robots set out for global domination...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by HyperShadow [/i]
[B]You say that as if you everyone thought mods were mindless robots set out for global domination... [/B][/QUOTE] [SIZE=1]Take it from a former mod--they are. ;)

Mitch, come back to the light side!!

Heh, yeah.. Seriously, though.

Mods are people too. Not Nazis, not Communists [well, [i]some...[/i]]...And Shyguy is definitely not Hitler. ;)[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sara [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]Mods are people too. Not Nazis, not Communists [well, [i]some...[/i]]...And Shyguy is definitely not Hitler. ;)[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

Who said he was Hitler?
I guess my global domination robot example was useful...

[B][SIZE=1] ...And Shyguy is definitely not Hitler. [/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[i]What?![/i] He [i]isn't[/i]?! Oh man, my life's shattered... :bawl:

Yep, but though mods are errorous(?) humans as well, they are also personalities, and some times hey seem to overreact. I too have got shout at a few times. *bitterly remembers Justin calling him a jerk *snif**

What I'm trying to say is that even though mods can make mistakes, FEW of them have acted/are acting way too "moderative" from time to time... well, maybe they were having a bad day. :huh:

*groans* [size=1]That still doesn't mean one should be shouted at because of his opinions...[/size]

Bleh.

[B][SIZE=1]And Shyguy is definitely not Hitler. ;)[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

><;;

firstly.. *knows he isn't the only one to make the comparison*

secondly.. when I said that I meant it as a contrast (as in, if [i]he[/i] can be forgiven, after all he did, which I firmly believe, then someone like Shy (the opposite) who did near nothing against anyone can be forgiven too), rather than a comparison.. ^^.. though I could have made that clearer at the time..

thirdly.. I [i]know[/i] that wasn't necessarily directed at me, or even towards anyone (so you don't need to correct me on that or think that I took it personally), but I meant to post this a while ago in the thread, but never got the chance (meaning, I started posting it and then got sidetracked until before I knew it I was offline and still hadn't posted it). You just kind of reminded me that I never said that ;)

w.r.t. the topic..

1- The thread in question was pointless, short, and in the wrong place (the fact that it was short wouldn't be a problem except that it was pointless as well..)

2- No one moved it to the Sony forum.. he made another one there.. you can see that there's two closed threads, one in OL and one in Sony

3- [quote][i]Originally posted by aj142[/i]
[b]I feel so discriminated against[/b][/quote]

I generally try not to criticise people too badly.. but that's the most moronic, short sighted, and vaguely abusive statement I've heard all week..

The reason I choose to use the word "abusive" is that I seriously think you're abusing the term "discriminate".. what exactly are you being discriminated against for?.. for making topics which don't go by the rules?.. that's pretty much the only thing that's certain in this whole situation, and the rules clearly state that topics like that will be closed. now, if you were iraqi, female, and dyslexic, and the mod said "I'm gonna close this thread because you're a dyslexic iraqi woman" then fair enough.. THAT is discrimination.. a little extreme compared to what you may normally see, but yeah.. anything along those lines (ie. action based on the appearance or background of a person). What happened in your thread is NOT discrimination.

[color=#507AAC]People think of discrimination as a bad word. But it's not a bad word depending on the context.

If someone has "discriminating tastes", for instance...it means they are choosy about something. That doesn't mean they're racist or prejudice against other people.

The job of a Moderator is to [i]discriminate[/i] between the acceptable and the non acceptable posts/threads. If you read the rules and abide by 'em, chances are that you won't have any threads or posts deleted. It's as simple as that. If you post something problematic, it'll be removed. I don't see how anyone can take that personally...it's how we operate and how we've always operated.[/color]

[b]discriminate[/b]: To make or constitute a difference in or between; to distinguish, differentiate.

[b]to discriminate against[/b]("against" specifically): to make an adverse distinction with regard to; to distinguish [i]unfavourably[/i] from others. With indirect pass.

Yeah, I know there's another meaning aswell, but I get the feeling that's not the one he meant.. And aj142 said [i]he[/i] as in, as a person, was discriminated against, not just the topic itself. still, I agree with your point, James. Discrimination can be in a positive way also.

(I got the reference from [url]www.oed.com,[/url] but I think you need a subscription to that site or something.. all I know is this university has an institution subscription or something, cos I can't access it from home)

[B][SIZE=1]Take it from a former mod--they are. ;)

Mitch, come back to the light side!!

Heh, yeah.. Seriously, though.

Mods are people too. Not Nazis, not Communists [well, [i]some...[/i]]...And Shyguy is definitely not Hitler. ;)[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=red] Hmm? The light side...

I am a part of it...:cross:

[Well said Sara]

(And I know Shy's no Hitler--I should know, we're married) [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B][color=red] That was so prejudice... :Bops him on the head: :p[/color][/b][/quote]

Was it? My bad.

[Quote][i]Originally posted by Desbreko by editing Mitch's post[/i]
[color=indigo][b]Yet so funny at the same time... :whoops: - Desbreko[/color][/B][/QUOTE]

At least someone thought it was funny. :smirk:

I've got so many admirers on OB, I have to beat then off with a stick. James knows what I'm talking about, he's still got a welt on his forehead. :D

By the way, this has been your daily dose of T[color=red]V[/color]E!