OtakuBoards

True Hip-hop?

Guest dr.septagon

Guest dr.septagon
WHAT IS TRUE HIP-HOP (A THREAD FOR PPL WHO LIKE HIP-HOP AND HATE HIP-POP):mrt:

I particularly dont like mainstream/industry rappers anymore cause all they rap about is who they've killed, how much money or drugs they have and how thugged out they are... oh yeah and their cadillac trucks and chromed out rides.. boooring I also hate 'rappers' like Nelly, Ja Rule etc...:flaming:

What is true hip hop to you?
Who do you like/hate? :therock:
any interesting news/rumours?

A list of rappers I like:

Company Flow, Binary Star, Dr. Octagon(kool keith,
Cannibal OX, Jedi Mind Tricks, Zion I,
El-P, Sonic Sum, Akrobatik,
Mr. Lif, 7L & Esoteric, Sage Francis,
Non-Phixion, Virtuoso, Aesop Rock,

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cesar906
Hip Hop is real but I like rappers that aren't famous as much as those because what they talk about is real like Lil Rob Mr.Shadow Diablo Lil angel Mr Sancho and those are real rappers

Guest Fly-T
Tru Hip-Hop is that stuff that gangsta rap isn't. Like the lyrics and stuff are not so violent but they speak on important things.
I dislike 50 only due to the fact that the guy gets hella hype basically from high school/college groupies who thought he was the shizz when he came out with 'Wanksta' and In da Club. Nelly is just plain horrible.

A interesting event: Word is that if you use the term "Hip-Hop" and you will be fined a liscensing fee.

50 Cent is the Alicia Keys of rap, only ugly. There's way too much hype around his music. He migth have a catchy song or two, but he's nowhere near good enough to have every last song he's ever made playing on every local hip-hop radio station.

Anyway, I don't listen to much "true" hip-hop. I'm more of a neo-soul fan, so I might listen to some mainstream group like The Roots.

I don't usually listen to this stuff. So instead of being an *** and saying I hate it, I just admit I don't know all that much about it either way heh... at least not recent stuff in the genre. I'm always annoyed by the fact that almost no current artists give any credit to the others from the past that made the genre what it is today... but what can you do.

That said, I do know Akrobatik. I actually like his stuff... a lot more than I ever expected I would. That's about all I know out of that first list.

Hip-Hop.... Run DMC is true Hip-Hip

Anything now-a-days is gansta crap or just plain crap. Real Hip-Hop doesn't exist Run DMC coined Hip-Hop and will be the only group ever to be true Hip-Hop, every one of the other rappers are just fakes. They are all trying to be what they aren't and they are pathetic in the process.

Guest Fly-T
Some other hip-hoppers......Kriss Kross and Kool G.........Hip-hop may be fading but as long as people that do gangsta rap keep it real on a lyrical level (ppl like Ras kass, Boot camp klik, Lox, Talib Kweli and so forth) then I have no problem.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by dr.septagon [/i]
[B]WHAT IS TRUE HIP-HOP (A THREAD FOR PPL WHO LIKE HIP-HOP AND HATE HIP-POP):mrt:

I particularly dont like mainstream/industry rappers anymore cause all they rap about is who they've killed, how much money or drugs they have and how thugged out they are... oh yeah and their cadillac trucks and chromed out rides.. boooring I also hate 'rappers' like Nelly, Ja Rule etc...:flaming:

What is true hip hop to you?
Who do you like/hate? :therock:
any interesting news/rumours?

A list of rappers I like:

Company Flow, Binary Star, Dr. Octagon(kool keith,
Cannibal OX, Jedi Mind Tricks, Zion I,
El-P, Sonic Sum, Akrobatik,
Mr. Lif, 7L & Esoteric, Sage Francis,
Non-Phixion, Virtuoso, Aesop Rock, [/B][/QUOTE]
A yo septagon we listen to tha same people yo!I cant stand mainstream rap tha only people i could listen too is redman,methodman,def squad and eminem and he is even starting to fall of.But since all the rap or should i say crap in tha mainstream doesn't intrest me i got into underground hip hop where tha music and culture is still alive alot of people try to dawg hip hop music because of the b/s they see on tv and hear on tha radio!But hip hop isn't really like that it's all about the lyrics and not about how much cash,diamonds,or cars you got!And as for 50cent he is getting way to much hype and it's all because dr.dre produced he's album.People think he just came out when really he's been out for a long a** time!I hope that someday real hip hop will overcome all this b/s we hear and see!:flaming: And i too cant stand ja rule,nelly and cashmoney they sell so many albums to dumb kids who dont even know music!:rolleyes: :flaming:

A list of rappers i like:
Qwil, Typical cats, Jedi mind tricks, Anticon, Atmoshphere,

Slug, Dose one, Sage francis, common sense, freestyle fellowship

2 mex, eyedea, illogic, blue print, visionaries, living legends,

the grouch, x-clan, Dead prez, del tha funky homosapien,and many more!! i recommend you guys check out some of these guys out so you can see real hip hop!:D

Guest dr.septagon
"i got into underground hip hop where tha music and culture is still alive"

That is why recently I started checkin out underground, I also did it after checkin out Cannibal OX, because El-P (owner of definitive jux) makes the bestest, most innovative beats, A GREAT PRODUCER. Eminem is alright and his responses to benzino are quite good. I hate Benzino and I hate the source for being a sellout, racist, fake, partially white owned (benzino) magazine! 50 Cent has been out for tiiiiime, before 'get rich or die tryin' came out he had 'guess whos back' and no one was buying it! Dre adn Em let the whole world know about fifty adn now hes becoming more polpular than Coca Cola. I know fo a fact that G-Unit are going to be the next Ruff Ryders only 10x BETTER! Also 50 cent hasnt been a gangsta for years, he just talks about his past all the time, soon he will run out of memories to talk about and will become like Jay Z, hoe this-hoe that, girls girls, women adn bit**es, thats all Jay talks about. But for now I like 50 and his style. Also I like all of queensbridge-Nas,Cormega,Mobb Deep,Blitz,Lake,Horse,Jungle,Nature,Big Noyd,Littles,Killa Sha etc..

"I do know Akrobatik"
- Semjaza if you know Akrobatik the you do know hip-hop, I know so many ppl that brag about being the hip hop guide book or encyclopedia but only know the industry and mainstream. Akrobatik is deep adn has an amzing flow adn way or arranging rhymes.

SSJ GOTENKS- Can you give me some names of rappers like the ones I mentioned becasue I dont know any more and Im getting tired of listenin to the same ones, and if u listenin to the same stuff u can give me some names.

safe

:mrt: dr.septagon :mrt:

Guest dr.septagon
I am from the city of rain a.k.a London :( , lived here for 4 years, Im from Bulgaria :) , what about you?

btw ppl today I bought a cd: 7L & Esoteric - Crime Connection its :eek: :demon: :D :mrt: bad, hectic etc...

Guest Fly-T
[B] I know fo a fact that G-Unit are going to be the next Ruff Ryders only 10x BETTER! [/B][/QUOTE]
GRANDMASTA FLASH, ANOTHA TRU HIP-HOPPA

Woah, Time out......G-unit betta than Ruff Ryders???
Naw cat, neva dat.

I dont really know many otha Underground cd's but there's mass undaground (or straight ill ppl dat aint got ET) rappaz i've peeped lalely...
Ras Kass, Canibus, Royce da 5'9, Joe Budden, Cormega, Freestyle legendz, eyedea, M.O.P., Twista, the LOX(as a group cuz not many ppl know who they consist of like Sheek L., and J-hood), Prodigy, Def Squad, Nature, Sean Price, Peedi Crack, Lloyd Banks, Akrobatik, Jurassic 5(not really mainstream cuz they dont have much recognition/ notification by ppl), 0-rs (I think thats his name but its the one who sings 'superstar'), Tech N9ne, Oschino, Jaz-O, RapALot, C-Bo, Seezcha, and more.

How yall feel about Stagga Lee??? Lol, u think he gonna make it??

Btw, Gotenks, you spit??/

Im from los angeles,california septagon!So how is tha hip hop scene out in london?And yeah i spit fly-t i got my own little studio well 3 actually me and my homies have been rapping for more than 7 years now.We produce our own beats and produce our own tracks.We put down our own cd's and pass em out!We get alot of feedback and alot of people seem to like our style we are goofy lyricst our lyrics well make u laugh and think.:DWe run 2 hip hop crews which if we ever get signed to a label will become the names of our labels.they are called L.O.L=laughing out loud and troublesome.Right now we are working on a compilitaion album and we just finished a mix tape that we will be distrbuting over spring break.I wish i can let you guys listen to some of our tracks if you know a way fly-t or septagon let me know yo!Yeah so septagon and fly-t do u guys flow?

Guest dr.septagon
I dont, but I know ppl that do and are ok. In london ppl listen to 'garage' which is people rappin really fast( mcing) talking bull(mostly bragging about themselves).. and not minding the beat. It sounds really crap and I personally hate it. A few garage artists - 'so solid crew', 'ms dynamite', 'more fire crew' and 'viper and jameson'. There are some really good english rap artists like 'blak twang', 'fallacy and fusion', 'iceberg slim', '57th dynasty', 'taskforce' and maybe 'big brovaz'. check them out
ssj have u got msn messenger? Ill add you and you can send me some of your songs!

:mrt:

Guest Fly-T
Yea in fact i do flo. I got peoples in Kentucky with a little studio but thats in Kentucky, more than 45 minutes away from me(I'm only coplainin cuz I have no car). I could make a song off my pc cuz i got a mic, but there's too much work and confusion into making sure the beat will record/play corectly it. So, all I can really do is start spittin without a beat.
If you were to hear me it would only be able to be through here.
If you Got AOL we can talk.....

[color=blue][size=1]Rappers I dislike: Nelly,Ja-Rule,Benzino, The whole Cash Money group,Bizarre of D-12 (he cant rap)

Rapper I like: Nas, Jay-Z, Eminem, Royce Da 5'9, Canibus, Proof, Kuniva, Prodigy , 50 Cent (he gets way to much hype though), Obie Trice, Kurupt, X-Zibit, DMX, Wu Tang(I like there older suff), Mobb Deep(I like there older stuff),and I like Comp.[/color][/size]

Guest Fly-T
Good Lord, I just pulled out my Stillmatic CD, Listened to "Ether" and I almost passed out...that has to be about the best diss Nas threw at Roc-a-fella so far.....True hip-hop........is dying( when it is being compared to stuff that gets a lotta TV time).

Guest dr.septagon
BlueGender all u said is true! As I said before 50 cent is becoming like Eminem and Coca Cola, and I hate Bizzare cause he chats some much sh*t in his rhymes!Benzino just uses the source as a weapon against em, and he cant rap. Hes chatting about saving true hip hop in 'die another die', how? with meaningless commercial songs like 'Rock the party' and 'bootee'? He cant make a descent album even with dozens of guest appearances! Cash money are obviously crap apart from Juvenile, his album 400 degreez is just the bomb. Wu-Tang were really good but now with albums like 'Bulletproof Wallets', 'The W' and 'Iron Flag' where are they goin...
Stillmatic is a great album there isnt a song I dont like on it! It is good to see that Nas still has the skills, although he is getting too old and now he has nothing to say, rap about! The rappers I like aint crap theyre just different! LOL

I hate CASH MONEY, Nelly, Ja Rule, Benzino, Jay Z, Jermaine Dupri, Timbaland as a rapper(hes a good producer!), Cypress Hill for becoming hardcore, crap. more coming soon...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: NO WAY MAN, IF I KNEW WHO YOU WHERE, I'D KILL YOU. Hehehe, btw ppl with no common sense i wouldn't actually kill him..., Just leave him in a crippled heap after beating him with his own "Ja Rule" Cd collection.

BTW: Nas is in .inc (it's a shame he joined) seeing as you like Nas, you were contradicting your self. :) I Like Nas as well... Illmatic is the baddest album.. and so is Sillmatic... so there's one good point you've made

Ps. Do you like any British Hip Hop?

Guest Fly-T
[QUOTE]BTW: Nas is in .inc (it's a shame he joined)[/QUOTE]
Woah.....Where you get this from....Nas stays Braveheart

Guest dr.septagon
I dont know why u lot are sweatin it since Nas is getting old and it doesnt really matter who he joins, his new album proves my point. It is simply shi*t, he was great but god's son is dissapointing and ' I can' is such a stupid song it just makes me laugh, he thinks hes all perfect and can give advice, all mature. Most of the girls hes talking about he has slept with in the past! He isnt a gangsta no more, he sure aint a playa, hustler,pimp,thug etc... so now he has nothing to talk about and his rhymes are plain boring or what he talks about is things he hears about! Its almost over for him

btw: dont get me wrong hes one of my favourite rappers and I have(and like) all of Nas's albums but by the title of his newest one (god's son) you know its over for him, sorry but no point in hiding the truth. Did the album even go platinum?

Well if you hadn't heard, he did say he's making ONE more album, it's gonna take him 5 years to make, and he's gonna have the boom QB rappers on it, and Az and probably some collabs with Guru and Rza. He said this will even rival "Illmatic" This will be a HEAVY album, can't wait...

Guest Fly-T
[B]I dont know why u lot are sweatin it since Nas is getting old and it doesnt really matter who he joins, his new album proves my point. It is simply shi*t, he was great but god's son is dissapointing and ' I can' is such a stupid song it just makes me laugh, he thinks hes all perfect and can give advice, all mature. Most of the girls hes talking about he has slept with in the past! He isnt a gangsta no more, he sure aint a playa, hustler,pimp,thug etc... so now he has nothing to talk about and his rhymes are plain boring or what he talks about is things he hears about! Its almost over for him

btw: dont get me wrong hes one of my favourite rappers and I have(and like) all of Nas's albums but by the title of his newest one (god's son) you know its over for him, sorry but no point in hiding the truth. Did the album even go platinum? [/B][/QUOTE]
Hwat are you talking about? God's Son is the 2nd closest thing to Illmatic (Closest is It Was Written).