OtakuBoards

Does anyone's parents (Other than mine) Disapprove of their child watching anime?

Bishie

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]My Mom and Grandma don't mind me wacthing anime,and my Dad doesn't even know I WACTH anime! Then again,they don't know what I wacth. :devil: Yeah,my Grandma would be VERY mad at my for wacthing something with blood and curse words like Wolf's Rain or Cowboy Bebop.[/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Highly doubt my Mom would be very happy either...[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Green]EDIT:I forgot to mention that my Grandma wacthed alittle bit of Yuu Yuu Hakusho (The edited verison I sould say.) and wanted me to change the channel. It was the episode when [SPOILER] Kawabara had to keep from fighting for a week.[/SPOILER] It was because of the fighting. -_- *sigh* Oh well.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red]EDIT YET AGAIN:I just asked my mom if it was ok for me to wacth anime. She said "It's alright as long as it doesn't have violence or nudity and stuff like that." Oh crap. O_o Most of the anime I wacth has violence in it, (ex:InuYasha, Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop.) and I'm going to get a Ranma 1/2 DvD soon, which (Of course.)has nudity on it.Then there's the infoumas 26th Excel Saga episode... I REALLY hope she won't walk in at the wrong times...-_-[/COLOR]

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Blackjack]1) Anime is made for an older audience than Western cartoons. They are not cartoons at all, they are [I]animated series[/I'].[/quote]

That is mostly innacurate. About 90% of anime is aimed either at kids, young teens, or families. This includes Inu-Yasha, Ranma 1/2, Kenshin, Lupin 3rd, Detective Conan, Gundam, Naruto, etc. Most of these are still good shows, and have enough crossover appeal to let adults watch, but adults are just the icing on the cake for these shows' audiences (although in some cases, which I didn't list here, there's no icing). They have more violence and nudity than American cartoons for the same audience because censorship is much looser in Japan than in America. A few shows, such as Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Hellsing, and Ghost in the Shell, are aimed at older teens and young adults, but they are in the minority. The only animes that EVERYONE watches are the Miyazaki movies.

Meanwhile, over here in America, adult-oriented animation is starting to make it big. Such successes as The Simpsons, South Park, Futurama, Family Guy, King of the Hill, Aqua Teen Hungerforce, and even the serious show Spawn are all American cartoons with teen/adult targets. We may be a bit behind Japan as far as how long we've had successful adult animation on TV, but quantitywise we'll probably close in on them in about 10-20 years.

So in both Japan and America, there's stuff for kids, stuff for teens, stuff for adults, and a few cartoons for everybody. And the word "cartoon" is just another term for animation. It's not a degrading term for animation, it's just another term. Batman:TAS, a serious cartoon, is fine with being called a cartoon. South Park, an adult cartoon, is fine with being called a cartoon. So cartoon=animation.

Case Closed... er, Detective Conan, uh, Conan the Barbarian, WHATEVER!

My parents never minded and I have watched anime most of my life. I still enjoy watching anime very much. By the way I am 30 years old and have four children. I watch anime with my sons all the time. I will agree with many parents out there that there are some animes not ment for children. I know I have watched them. SOme of the animes I enjoy watching have little to no interest to them and my husband only watches a few. He understands my obsession and deals with it rather well. I mean my home office walls are covered with images from different animes.

I guess thats my set on this topic, enjoy, Skytiger.

My mother dissapproves of my watching anime, because she doesn't like it. She says "it's not real lia, it's too fictional to be worth watching". She's stopped commenting on it now though. I think she realised i'm not going to stop watching anime, because i really like it, she doesn't mind too much anymore as long as i don't spend too much money on it. She'll go phsycotic if i do.

Guest The Pro
Well, anyone who has a parent who wont let them watch anime probably has one of those single-minded types of parents, who is all bitchy and concerned about you wasting your life on somthing like anime... but waht, honestly, do they expect you to do in its abscence.... BTW, i wouldnt consider Inuyasha a Kiddie anime, first of all, it has alot of swearing, second of all, it has a stronge romantic and perverted backround, so i dont tihnk kids would be interestind, and third, there is so much violence, blood, gore, and close-to nudity that it is only shown at 11 o'clock in Canada. Doubt its a kiddie show, same with Gunndam, at least most of the Gundam series were totally violent with thigns that most kids-younge teens wouldnt understand allto well. Not all of them, mind you, but alot of em.

[quote name='The Pro']Well, anyone who has a parent who wont let them watch anime probably has one of those single-minded types of parents, who is all bitchy and concerned about you wasting your life on somthing like anime... but waht, honestly, do they expect you to do in its abscence.... BTW, i wouldnt consider Inuyasha a Kiddie anime, first of all, it has alot of swearing, second of all, it has a stronge romantic and perverted backround, so i dont tihnk kids would be interestind, and third, there is so much violence, blood, gore, and close-to nudity that it is only shown at 11 o'clock in Canada. Doubt its a kiddie show, same with Gunndam, at least most of the Gundam series were totally violent with thigns that most kids-younge teens wouldnt understand allto well. Not all of them, mind you, but alot of em.[/quote]

Well, here are some points:

1. Japan has much looser censorship
2. Swearing and violence do not make a show more mature
3. Serious plotlines and themes do make a show more mature, but the Japanese producers have higher expectations of what mature stuff kids can comprehend
4. Being made for kids doesn't make it kiddy. Batman: TAS had mature plotlines, but it was still a kids/young teens show. Animaniacs had tons of jokes kids would never get, but it was still a kids/young teens show.
5. Remember, with most of the animes, such as Inu-Yasha or Gundam, certain things are added in to make it work on different levels, with young teens being the prime level, but also some stuff for the young kids, some stuff for the older teens, and some stuff for adults

True Japan Does have much less censorship for their children. For example in Ghibli's Pon Poko the raccoon-like creatures main weapon is the fact that they can inflate their testicles to large sizes.

Swearing and violence make a show more mature in a parent's eyes, but in actual plot material it doesn't. And it also depends on your definition of mature. In most of the media's eyes Mature means 16-18+, in some of our definitions of maturity we consider it to have serious plot material, well-developed characters, etc.

And my parents let me watch anime even after they walked in on me watching that one episode of Bebop with the Saxophone.......

And the first episode of Chobits........

Guest AnimeDesire
well my parents know i watch anime and they have no objection to it, especially since i started drawing it. becuz i started drawing anime ,y parents supported me becuz they know i love to draw. everyone tells me i cud work for disney n stuff like that. and cuz my dad is a website programmer and he does short animations and stuff he supports me cuz i tell him i wud like to do an anime animation on the comp. and i also love asian stuff like my mom let me buy this chinese dress i wor to my middle school graduation and she almost bought me one of those japanes parasols, but i got a fan instead. so they don't mind but they don't love it either, my mom thinks i watch to much tv, it's also alot easier 4 me to watch aniem cuz i'm homeschooled. but one thing they don't know i s- well they think i watch the cute stuff like hamtaro or pokemon :ball: , they don't know i watch the bloody stuff at nite :sleep: :rolleyes: c like my dad knows i watch a show called inuyasha but he doesn't know wot it's about :eek: shhhh! don't tell.....

[quote name='AnimeDesire'] c like my dad knows i watch a show called inuyasha but he doesn't know wot it's about :eek: shhhh! don't tell.....[/quote]

My mom and dad both love Inu-Yasha and think it's one of the nicer animes they let me and my sister watch and we own the movie on DVD and watch new episodes every Saturday.

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']My mom and dad both love Inu-Yasha and think it's one of the nicer animes they let me and my sister watch and we own the movie on DVD and watch new episodes every Saturday.[/quote]

[COLOR=red] Well, my mom knows that I wacth Inu-Yasha, (Actually, I think that's the only anime she knows. That, and Yu-Gi-Oh.) and she let's me wacth it. But, I have no idea if she likes it or not. She's only seen one episode. (Luckily, it had no blood or bad words. I don't think she knows that it has bad words in it. I really don't want to check either. :eek: ) I also think my dad's seen it onuce. Mom said he wacthed it, and that he thought it was funny. Hmm... [/COLOR]

Guest Robo V2.0
[quote name='Deimos']There are people like me who liked Inuyasha since they were 10 and I found it very intresting,and I still do! But not as much as Fooly Cooly that thing is the best mini series anime I ever saw![/quote]
I hear ya! Fooly Cooly is great! :laugh: Though it is kind of hard to follow and rather fast paced, its one of the best i've ever seen. The manga is very strange! If you read to much of it at once you'll go insane!
My dad just calls anime 'stupid cartoons' but he doesn't really say much else about it. I did Vash's 'LOVE AND PEACE' sign once and he asked me where i saw it so I made him watch the Episode (Hard Puncher). After that he hasn't asked me about any anime i've watched. :D

[quote name='DetectiveMikeRS'] My dad lets me watch it but he makes fun of it because he still has a grudge on Japan after Pearl Harbor even though it happend 11 years before he was born and all that, he doesn't like Japan for that one incident. Then he goes on making fun of the names of characters, the title of the show, the character design, etc.[/quote]

[COLOR=Blue]That's childish. Anyway, like EVA Unit 100 said, he sould wacth Grave of the Firefiles. That might change his mnd about Japan.[/COLOR]

[quote name='em si hsoJ']you hate your parents just because of that?...[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]Welcome to the Boards, em si hsoJ. Please try and put more detail into your posts in future- one-liners are generally considered spam at OtakuBoards and are hence deleted. Be sure to check through the Rules (in the side-bar menu on the left) when you can.[/COLOR]

Luckily my parents love anime and they've always been oblivious to the violence, word choice, and nudity of some animes. My mom's a giant fan of DB/Z/GT, she got hyped up over the fight between Goku and Freiza so much, it puts a wrestling fan to shame. Oh god, she let out a yell of triumph when Goku turned Super so loud, I swear I went partially deaf. My dad's a casual anime watcher, whatever I'm watching he'll watch, Yu Yu Hakusho's his favorite anime. My parents did have lines that they drew, my dad didn't like animes with excessive blood and my mom didn't like "bad" words in anime.

Kinda Funny story, my parents never screened the Animes we watched, we all saw them for the first time together. One night we saw Ninja Scroll, I'm ten at the time and those of you who have seen the movie know what certain scenes would make a parent flinch. Because of this movie I got the "Talk" about men and women, after the movie ended.

I do know some friends who have parents who treat Anime like a filthy drug, they have to sneak around like smugglers if they want to see an Anime. I blame the news and it's one-sided accusations against Anime for parents like these,heh.

My parents aren't oblivious to the violence, language, and nudity in anime. However, their censorship of anime is really loose and open. Usually if something was WAY too violent for me to handle I'd probably not want to watch the show becuase it would likely scare the crap out of me. Language they are fine with, as long as I don't copy it too often. Nudity is no problem with them as long as it's partless and nonsexual. Anything sexual that I don't know they'd explain and anything really intense they wouldn't let me watch (although they sometimes keep it to themselves ;) ).

Mine only slightly dissaprove. That is, however, because they are under the impression that all "cartoons" are for children and someone who is 20 shouldn't watch cartoons because there couldn't be anything of real value (ie: theological/philosophical concepts or historical value). This also stems from the fact that they link anything which is "cartoony" to Looney Toons or Scooby Doo (not that there is anything wrong with either of them) and are thus for children.

So many times have I wanted to sit my dad down (he's the one who generally gives me flak for watching anime) and just pop Ghost in the Shell or End of Evangelion into the DVD player and have him watch it just so he can see that not all "cartoons" are for kids and that some even can have theological/philosophical ideas in them

-Morias Skult

[quote name='Kiki Boatwright']my parents hate anime[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]Welcome to OtakuBoards, Kiki. Please note that posts this short are considered spam, and will be deleted as such. You'll need to add as much thought and detail to them as you can in future. Also, be sure to take a look at the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?]Rules[/URL] to see what else we expect of post quality here.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Morias Skult']Looney Toons[/quote]

In case you didn't know, the Looney Tunes WERE made for adults! Try telling your parents that!

In fact, next to anime, the classic Looney Tunes suffered the most from the "cartoons are for kids" mentallity (which was started by H-B's Saturday morning-exclusive output). For one thing, the Pattie-DeFrelang shorts (which were made with a kids' TV audience in mind) seriously toned down the violence and got rid of the self-knowingness and cerebral humor of the imput put out from 1936 to 1963 from the Termite Terrace studio. For another thing, nearly every TV compilation of the classic Looney Tunes after the primetime version of The Bugs Bunny Show up until CN's Toonheads 1-hour late-night specials had to edit down the Looney Tunes for violence, stereotypes, and current events humor. During the uber-PC era in the '70s and early '80s, they got extremely butchered. And nearly every made-for-TV spin-off (sans Tiny Toons and the Speilberg output) was made VERY differently than the originals.

[QUOTE=EVA Unit 100]In case you didn't know, the Looney Tunes WERE made for adults! Try telling your parents that!
[/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]Don't you just love that little known fact? Of course, I'm suprised that they still allow the episodes with the cigarette usage nowadays.

I caught a few of the unedited ones once on TCM (great place for old movies ) Which were directed at the war effort and propaganda against the axis powers during WW2. There were quite a few non Politically correct drawings of the Japanese that would get some nasty letters in this day and age.

But you really can't tell some people things like that.[/color]

Guest inuyasha-sakura
[B][COLOR=Pink][SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS]EHEHEHEHEHE!! BOTH MY PARENTS ARE OBSSESED WITH ANIME,THATS Y I DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS ABOUT IT!! :angel: [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='inuyasha-sakura][B][COLOR=Pink][SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS]EHEHEHEHEHE!! BOTH MY PARENTS ARE OBSSESED WITH ANIME,THATS Y I DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS ABOUT IT!! :angel: [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR'][/B][/quote]

Welcome to OtakuBoards, inuyasha-sakura. ^_^

Please go read the Rules, immediately stop typing in all-caps and pay close attention to the earlier replies in this thread. It should be pretty clear that other members are putting some thought and effort into their posts; you should emulate their example and do the same. All of your questions, comments and concerns can be directed to me or one of the other moderators via PM. Thanks!

~Dagger~

Guest sweetrevenge814
My parents kinda get annoyed with me trying my best to tape the saturday night anime. However, they don't stop me... 'cuz they can't! :D They mostly disapprove of manga since it's 10 bucks per each one but whatever... Anyway, my parents think it's all a "phase". Kind of like my brother's "KISS" phase but how wrong they are. They don't really like it but that's their problem. :devil: