OtakuBoards

Does anyone's parents (Other than mine) Disapprove of their child watching anime?

Bishie

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad hates it when I watch anime. He hates it when I go to this forum. But I think he realizes that I'm old enough to make my own decisions and that he can't really stop me, so he doesn't forbid me. He tells me not to watch it, but I do anyway, and he doesn't punish me, so it's ok. My mom thinks that their just "stupid cartoons" and is ok with it as long as it doesn't interfere with school work or anything. I'm not going to argue that they aren't cartoons, because there's no point, and it's not hurting anything.

*sighs* My mother HATES anime. She threw out all my drawings, just because she "doesn't like it" I think all my hard earned manga just went in the trash too... My dad doesn't care, and is thrilled I can draw. I have to sneak out of bed to watch anime in the freezing basement, and dig through the trash to find all my stuff.

I'm only 13 and my mom and dad primarily say I can watch it. I also told my father that if you can compare Trigun, Inuyasha, or Rurouni Kenshin to Family Guy, those anime shows would look rated G. LOL :)
They reallty think it's good that I am exploring. Right now I am trying to learn as many Japanese words as I can, even though I'm not getting far ^_^x Well, yeah...

[size=1][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Angel [/i]
[B]My mom doesn't like it when she they curse in anime. She got mad at me when I was watching Yu Yu Hakusho on Adult Swim and she heard a curse word. She says it's senseless for them to curse in cartoons. [/B][/QUOTE]

Then tell her it's senseless to cuss in real-life movies and TV shows.[/size]

my mom tolerates, but i think she doesn't like it but to tired to bother(raising eight kids and only having two moved out when two more should be gone) but were not allowed to rent anime( even theres only ten available for renting) and sometimes i ketch her watching samuri x when we watch it

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jim_Hawking [/i]
[B]My dad nearly killed himself when he found out that his beloved "Speed Racer" was an anime. My parents are 100% anti-anime, yet I shove my obsession in their face seeing as how I have taken over the bottom half of our DVD tower, BWA HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! As for the reason they don't like it, they're convinced it's only for kids.

Got any suggestions for something that'll really blow their minds? [/B][/QUOTE]

That's really weird! My dad watches Speed Racer and Yu-gi-oh, if he doesn't know that those are animes, then he's really stupid. Anyway, If your dad likes Speed Racer, then he should just deal with it and continue to watch it, he likes that show and he shouldn't be stopped by this stupid anti-anime thing. It's crazy!

yeah my parents dislike me watching end of evangelion too but i think its just because they dont understand the story line behind it. other than that they really dont care and i even got my dad watching samuri jack

Guest yalborap
That and your grammer. But yeah, my parents are pretty cool about it. Every once in a while they watch a little of adult swim with me. But they don't understand it because they don't get the individual story.

my parents get annoyed especially when iwatch shos wit a lot of violence or cussing they will take it away (dvd) for like 2 days and evrytime ill have to say the same thing over again to get it back "i dont believe what there doing is rite" and they give it bak

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by yuka-kitsune [/i]
[B]Kids make fun of me because i watch anime my mom calles them baby shows she should realy watch the other four shows on adult swim [/B][/QUOTE]

People make fun of me for the same reason. It really pisses me off......:flaming:

Yeah... my parents dissaprove of some of the anime I watch. It used to be everything on Adult Swim, but once they sat down and watched it, they said it was alright for me to watch it.
The thing that made them mad was when I went off and bought The Cowboy Bebop movie... and then they found out it was rated R. O.O;; I was in real big trouble then. But they wated it and approved most of it.
My dad is so cool he likes anime and takes me to Anime Iowa every year. But my step dad is the exact oposite, and I live with him. -_-;; And my mom doesn't like to disagree with him, or she will get in trouble... IT'S LIKE HE RULES OUR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRGGGG! :P Ohh well, I get away with most of it. I can't wait to go to college, at least then I'll be away from him!
But, yeah, they only disaprove of some things, but I'm alowed to watch most of it!*does a dance in happiness*

My mom doesn´t know I like anime- I never told her for fear she´d ban me. As a result, NO ONE knows I like anime (except my best friend, and he just found out recently). Not that I´m advocating lying to parents, but I just found it safer to cram my stuff in junk piles (weep!) and live my otaku-ness in secret. If you want to prove to a parent that all anime is not childish, try Cowboy Bebop. If you want to prove it´s not all occult, try a romance like Marmalade Boy or Kodocha. If you want to prove it´s not all hentai, try something kinda kiddy like Cardcaptor Sakura or even Hamtaro. Then again, what do I know- I´m still telling my mom it´s "cartoons" (yikes!)

Guest yalborap lives
Now that's a good choice. Me? I just watch it. Like I said before, my parents don't mind.

[COLOR=orangered][size=1]Welcome back.

And...goodbye.

-Sara[/size][/COLOR]

Guest yalborap2
Hey, that's cruel. I made one mistake, and now I can never come back? Just open up my old account, and I'll delete any sign of that little mishap.