OtakuBoards

Does anyone's parents (Other than mine) Disapprove of their child watching anime?

Bishie

[COLOR=Navy]Hey, I think my mom actually LIKES Inuyasha. Well, she hasn't really watched it, but she thinks it sounds cute. That's a start, huh? She actualy buys me anime DVDs. (Yu Yu Hakusho, Love Hina, Inuyasha, Haibane Renmai, etc.) My dad got me two of the .Hack games ^_^ I looovve ELK!!!!! :love: He's so kawaii!
Shounen-ai has, erm...interesting...effects on my family members. As I think I've stated before, I'm not the world's biggest yaoi fan ever, but there are a select few canon [I]shounen-ai[/I] (as in NOT full blown yoai) pairings that I find cute. So, reactions: My perverted little brother [I]likes[/I] it. Well, he likes picking on various characters by putting them in same-gender pairings, at least. My dad doesn't mind that some of the animes I watch/read have a little bit of minor fluffy shounen-ai in it (which is about all I can handle,sooooo...), and then theres my mom; she's actualy amused by Shinji/Kaworu (or at least at my hopeless efforts at decifering their relationship); She thinks all male anime characters are obsessed with girls, "except the two boys who are in love": on the other hand, if I try to explain the characters in Gravitation (which I like for the character development, not the shounen-ai), she acts all grossed out. She's so strange... Oh well, I'm not to terribly obsessed with Gravi. (Evangelion is one of my favorites, though, and I'm a little nervous watching it around her, even on my portable DVD player. I know it's not bad, but I just don't want her to misinterpret it as a "bad anime") Soooo confusing....[[/COLOR]

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=MillieFan]I'm anti-hentai and anti-yaoi too! As a matter of fact, I used to have an anti-hentai site (but it's offline until my boyfriend can find a new colocation host for his servers) and I'm currently building an anti-yaoi site.

Oh, by the way, yaoi is guy/guy, most times drawn by fans who even pair off *obviously* straight characters. Basically, the only requirement for fanart yaoi seems to be that the guys involved look good individually so, in the minds of yaoi artists, they must look "better" being sexually involved with another good looking guy or with themselves. It's really sickening IMHO. :flaming: :sick:[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, I must cut in. Okay, you can be against Yaoi, but don't be putting in Vomit Smilies or building a web site about it, God! I mean, I myself try to avoid it, but I don't bash it or anything. Unfortunately, my friend forced me to use a brain sponge. Sorry to hurt you people, but I must share my pain. Boromir being raped by a squid!!! :sick:
*That deserved the 'sick' smily.

[quote name='jisuseru']MY PARENTS LIKE IT 2 SO NO MY PARENTS STILL LET ME WATCH IT :wigout:[/quote]

[color=hotpink][size=1]WHOA. This is spam. And it is going to be deleted. I hope that you observe the rules on post quality from now on.

Thank you. *QA*[/color][/size]

My parents really like animes because the reason why my dad and I have 100 dvds is
because he likes anime as much or even more than me, because he likes to sit down on the wekends and watch Trigun and Cowboy Bebop. I get tortured for my beliefs on anime by some dumb retarded guy who doesn't know the truth about how good anime is. My mom doesn't mind anime as long as it is not too violent or doesn't have too much nudity or language.

Nope, but my mom says it's what is rotting my brain out (I don't really mean that, ya know.) I can watch anything I want, for all she cares I can go out and buy $400 worth of mautre anime. But I won't 'cause I'm not that type of person, I'll stick to mostly clean, yet just perverted enough to have inuendos. heh, I like that word, it's meaning is funny, just like schaudanfroid. Did I spell that right?

Guest omadesala
My parents are actually really cool about it. They don't care as long as there is not too much violence or sex(it takes a lot to be too much with them), and I trry not to watch the stuff they would really object to. They know I enjoy it, and I get something from it( educationally). I started reseaching Japan after I got into it. My parents want me to be able able to amke my own choices. :D

[color=darkblue]Parents and anime?

They pretty much just shake their heads and wonder when I'm going to grow out of the "cartoons."

They can't really say anything. I haven't lived with them in years.

...though, if my parents watched Ninja Scroll, my mom would puke, my dad would yell "Sick!" and then the lecture would begin.

I don't know, maybe watching certain animes does indicate somewhat of a sick mind. We don't really [i]need[/i] to revel in the graphic violence. But we do anyway.[/color]

My mother thinks that I am to old to be watching cartoons as she calls them. One night I was watching Inu Yasha ahe walked in when there was a nude scene and now she never lets me hear the ned of it. Now all she does is yell at me when I watch anime but I don't care I only have to put up with it for four more years.

Guest ss3-brolly
Really My parents don't care really I got my dad and older brother watching it.They sometime find stuff out before I do but thats rare

[quote name='ss3-brolly']Really My parents don't care really I got my dad and older brother watching it.They sometime find stuff out before I do but thats rare[/quote][color=#503f86]ss3-brolly, please work on your post quality- length and punctuation particularly. This is the third time you've been asked now.

Anyway, my parents don't mind so long as it's not really extreme. But then again they always tell me it's my choice. It's not as if I force them to sit and watch it or anything. My mum loved Spirited Away, so she's happy to watch something if I can recommend it to her. My dad doesn't tend to like animation, though. Or films in general, for that matter.

Either way, my parents tend to be fairly liberal with what I watch. I'm old enough to know not to copy what I see on the animes, and even if I did get something like Urotsukidoji it's not something I'd show off to my parents. And since I'm not into extreme animes anyway, there's little chance of that happening.[/color]

to be honest, it was my grandpa that got my anime addiction started. by blood i am japanese but i was born and raised american. when i was about 5 years old my grandpa (who lived in japan) would always send me tape recordings of Dragonball, Dr. Slump and Doraimon which aired on japanese TV back then and i always would anticipate when the next batch of tapes would arrive. now 15 years later im a full blown otaku anime addict, thanks Gramps! may he rest in peace :)

[quote name='QuincyArcher']to be honest, it was my grandpa that got my anime addiction started. by blood i am japanese but i was born and raised american. when i was about 5 years old my grandpa (who lived in japan) would always send me tape recordings of Dragonball, Dr. Slump and Doraimon which aired on japanese TV back then and i always would anticipate when the next batch of tapes would arrive. now 15 years later im a full blown otaku anime addict, thanks Gramps! may he rest in peace :)[/quote]
That's cool! One of my family friends got me into anime (well, he REALLY got me into it). I went to his house for vacation last summer (he lives far away), and started showing him my art (I had a million pictures of pokemon from my new Pokemon Saphire version :ball: and of Ryou Bakura from YuGiOh, though I didn't know much about other animes). He's a prophesor at Colorado State University and teaches a sort of overseas Eastern Religions class (Japan and India, mostly), so he recognised the art style almost imediately (I was very shocked that he knew what anime was) and promptly ran to get his Princess Mononoke DVD, which we watched later that night. He had me hooked, I spent the rest of the trip learning basic Japanese from him and atempting to draw Ryou, and the mountains in Colorado, and Ryou, and mountains, and...). Anyways, before you acuse me of going on the biggest tangent in history, I'll explain; I call him Ojiisan, which means grandpa in Japanese. So, that's the story of how I became obsessed with anime, and, for that matter, Japan in general. Um, minna-san? Where is everybody? Oh well, I must have bored them with my reminiscing... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: Hey! Wake up!

[COLOR=Navy]Next time, please try to stay on-topic. If your posts stray too much from the discussion at hand, they may be deleted.

~Dagger~[/COLOR]
Oh, ok, sorry... Anyways, I think I forgot to mention, my "step dad-to-be" also doesn't really mind anime. He just doesn't understand what I'm saying when I speak in Japanese. I think he'd really love Trigun, though. (Again, sorry about the tangent, I like to talk^_^;)

No, my parent's love anime. Of coarse, they only love anime cuz they can't get away from it. I've gotten them hooked. I mean I have to tape all eps of [I]Witch Hunter Robin[/I] for my mom whenever she's not gonna be able to watch it. First I got my mom hooked on [I]Inu Yasha[/I] and after that... Well I guess she just can't stop, like me.. Though she's not nearly as obsessed as I am.. I mean I go out and by manga weekly and the corresponding anime monthly (if I have the money). My dad even said that if he had enough money he would get me plastic sergery, so I could have the 'anime look' as he put it. Though I'm not quite so sure that I'd like to be [I]that[/I] extreme of an anime fan. I mean I love anime and all... But that's too much for me (right not). I love my parents because they both encourage my anime fandom!

I am very fortunate that my parents have always like anime. I grew up watching anime with my parents. My mom will borrow my anime dvds to watch at her house when she feels like it. She is in the process of watching GTO right now. Both my parents think Onizuka is hilarious!

Both my parents are Japanese and they don't see a problem with it. Like they say, there are far worse things I could be obsessed with! My mom and I watched "Grave of the Fireflies" together and both cried though it. I am very lucky to have parents who appreciate anime as much as they do. My parents will actually buy me art books for the series they know I like.

No matter what we do, our parents will find something they don't like us doing. That is just how parents are. LOL Just think about how nice it will be for our children, they will have parents that love anime. Lucky them!

No. Mom never really cared. I mean, I watch .Hack//sign all of the time and she never says anything. She said one series was stupid, but that was it. As for my Dad, he never watched it but once he saw it, he said it was interesting. My cousins love it. So, I've had no problems. :babble:

I'm 22 now, but when I was younger my mother would always comment about any nudity she saw. I guess it's one of those culture clashes. I mean we here in America are taught (sub-consiously) that nudity=bad. What's the deal? Oh well, I really don't care. Most of the anime I do own: I wouldn't mind letting my own child view it (if I had one and if he or she was mature enough). Others that are much more gory in nature or hentai, it won't happen.

Guest sarah3099
Same here. ugh. I'm still trying to convince her that sailor moon/any type of anime won't get in the way of my schoolwork anymore. Last year, I was in sixth grade, and I actually made a mask of sailor jupiter on notebook paper, cut out the eyes, and wore it aruond class. so embarassing. Ever since, she's thought I'm too old for it-and the weird thing is, I'm four years younger than you(the person who first started this topic) My mom even took away all my anime stuff when I got three F's in reading. The real cause for that was that I couldn't concentrate worth a flip and I always lost my papers, no matter what I did.

My family doesn't care much about what I watch as long as it doesn't have any nudity in it. Though I think it's starting to drive them nuts cause when ever a tense fight in DBZ or some anime like that comes on, they would start yelling at the TV about how they should get the action going already...sheesh...adults need to realize anime isn't just about the action, it's about the story line too. At the least, mine do.

My parents really have serious issues with me watching anime. They think that it affects my schoolwork (Ooh. Watching deep and involving plots is ruining my BRAIN...). They also think that I am antisocial because of it (Avoiding the "Cool Kids" because of their lower intelligence level HARDLY constitutes antisociality...). They try to revoke my anime priveledges as often as possible, and I haven't been ungrounded for (what is it now...) 2 years (I access the computer from school. My parents don't know.).

They probably are like the typical american "Anti-Cartoon" parents. They blame everything on TV shows and Comic Books, and nothing on psychological stability, physical and mental stress, etc.

To get to the Anime Expo, I had to pay for the gas (we drove), the expo (obviously), half of the hotel room cost (Are they bloody INSANE?), and had to convince them that "Hey, it's my birthday present".

Well, I'm done griping for now. My parents aren't horrible. They let me buy anime (as long as they don't have to pay squat for it) and manga occasionally, but they still need to lighten up. Well. Yay. I'm done. I think I'll go off and join a drug ring or something just to SPITE them.

Sayanora!

Gee,I didn't think that [I]this[/I] many parents would [I]hate[/I] anime!

My mom and dad are Americans and love anime,but my dad wouldn't even know what it is if my mom hadn't shown him.In fact,they like anime,manga,and even video games!
(The video games are mostly me and my dad,especially since I always beat my mom at Pocket Fighter...)

and about of the people in my class are reading my graphic novels,so I made a manga reading club so I could give them all nicknames..aren't I the lucky one?

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkgreen][/color][/size][/font][font=Arial][size=1][color=darkgreen][b]My parents suck. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em. But they suck. My dad is a crime-drama fanatic(Law&Order, JAG, CSI, Without a Trace, etc.). And he watches them avidly. Every night at six o'clock he's in front of the tv watching old ep's of L&O. [/b][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkgreen][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkgreen][b]But, when I try to watch Cartoon Network and anime comes on, he thinks it's so f-ing hilarious to do a racist impression of a Japanese person. It disgusts me. Now, to another point. When it comes to the american cartoons on adult swim and my mom walks into the room and sees the [adult swim] logo in the corner, she's all like, "Are you supposed to be watching this?'[/b][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkgreen][b]Then I say, "It's no different from any show dad watches." and she'll just go into the other room. But whenever someone says "hell", "damn" or sometimes even "crap" she'll, pretty much, crash into my room and tell me to change the channel.[/b][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkgreen][b]I seriously doubt that hearing the word "Damn" in a cartoon will warp my mind any more than seeing a dead 8 year old boy who'd been molested on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.[/b][/color][/size][/font]
[b][font=Arial][size=1][color=#006400][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Arial][size=1][color=#006400]Once again; My parents SUCK.[/color][/size][/font][/b]

Yes, my parents approved. My parents knows that I loves anime & manga, but my parents don't like hentai, like Love Hina. I agrees with my parents about hentai. They are not for me. Anyway, my parents are cool. I love them! :love:

My parents don't disapprove of me watching anime, but they do like to make fun of it. Mostly it's because of the voices. If it's in Japanese, they mimick it like, "Hai! Ababa zobo ito!" (And they paid for my Japanese classes . . . .) If it's in English, they mock it because they usually have to talk so fast to fit all the words in. So my only choice is to watch it muted. Which I don't do. (I just put up with it, and eventually they get bored and go away. Like wild animals, or young children. :))

My main problem is that they don't like me [I]drawing [/I] in "that style." Before I found manga and anime, my drawings SUCKED. They just did. I drew them, and I think that they sucked monkey-butt. However, anime helped me get proportions in order, and figure out exactly where the nose goes on a face (okay, so I wasn't that bad. But you get my point.), and I'm much more confident in my drawing abilities since then. And as any artist knows, there is no one style of drawing, anime included. It's like saying that all of the Sunday comics are done in the same way. I've tried explaining this to my parents, but they just smile and nod and basically say that I shouldn't be wasting my talents blah blah blah blah blah.

It doesn't help that my dad did a lot of art in college . . . or that he thinks he knows everything in general . . . .

[QUOTE=0ber0n the Neko]My parents really have serious issues with me watching anime. They think that it affects my schoolwork (Ooh. Watching deep and involving plots is ruining my BRAIN...). They also think that I am antisocial because of it (Avoiding the "Cool Kids" because of their lower intelligence level HARDLY constitutes antisociality...). They try to revoke my anime priveledges as often as possible, and I haven't been ungrounded for (what is it now...) 2 years (I access the computer from school. My parents don't know.).

They probably are like the typical american "Anti-Cartoon" parents. They blame everything on TV shows and Comic Books, and nothing on psychological stability, physical and mental stress, etc.

To get to the Anime Expo, I had to pay for the gas (we drove), the expo (obviously), half of the hotel room cost (Are they bloody INSANE?), and had to convince them that "Hey, it's my birthday present".

Well, I'm done griping for now. My parents aren't horrible. They let me buy anime (as long as they don't have to pay squat for it) and manga occasionally, but they still need to lighten up. Well. Yay. I'm done. I think I'll go off and join a drug ring or something just to SPITE them.

Sayanora![/QUOTE]

Well I do have to say you sound exactly like my friends at school... All their parents hate anime as well... minus one or two... Anyway... You're funny... But that's not the point either...The point is.. Well that not [I]all[/I] American parents are "Anti-Cartoon" parents... My father was hooked on 'toons for a very long time... And my mom doesn't have a problem with cartoons because she likes to watch them too..Well sorta just because I won't let her change the channel...But mom loves 'Courage the Cowardly Dog' and 'The Power Puff Girls' and other such "American" cartoons... But I don't think that joining a drug ring is the right way to spite your parents... maybe for the rest of their lives you should give them some really bad... crappy anime... or something... with a note saying exactly how much you[I]love[/I] and [I]care[/I] about them... How much they [I]mean[/I] to you for all their years of 'hard work' and 'loving guidance' away from all 'bad'(anime/toon) influences.