OtakuBoards

Does anyone's parents (Other than mine) Disapprove of their child watching anime?

Bishie

My parents don't hate me watching anime but while my mum is fairly open minded about it while keeping an eye on what im watching my dad doesn't show that he dislikes it and me watching it but im almost certain he hates it really.
really my parents don't try and stop me watching it probably because their thinking "wait till' he grows out of it" but they don't know just how much of an otaku i really am. I must say though, ive got it really easy because although they dont approve they don't really stop me watching ANYTHING and i know for certain that they see the cookies filled with hentai this and hentai that lol.:animesmil

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#9933ff]Wow this is an old thread. I think this thread is officially older than my daughter! Fun.

Well my parents really don't like me watching Cartoons in general Japanese or otherwise. BUt that's the great thing about being an adult, your parents really don't have much say in the matter. Wait, I said that a few years ago.

One of the cool things about my cartoon interests is that I've made a lot of new friends that way and have improved my writing skills. Though not by much.[/color]

everyday it's a warzone round here.

*Me watching Rurouni Kenshin *laughs* *
Mum: You're watching this AGAIN!!! GO DO MATH
Me: "No.......... go away"
Mum: *sighs* "its Frying your braincells you should be studying musical theory"
Me: *mutters* "i'm eighth grade piano do you want anything else."

GIANT MOAN OF ANNOYANCE

just because i draw anime and 24/7 obssesed with anime+Sasuke and Kenshin *sigh* i TRY to be normal *blinks innocently*
I hide all my anime stuff ... and don't talk about anime... much.

Oh yeah, I have big problems with my parents with anime though mostly with my mum.

:)

[quote name='SachiroUchiha']everyday it's a warzone round here.

*Me watching Rurouni Kenshin *laughs* *
Mum: You're watching this AGAIN!!! GO DO MATH
Me: "No.......... go away"
Mum: *sighs* "its Frying your braincells you should be studying musical theory"
Me: *mutters* "i'm eighth grade piano do you want anything else."

GIANT MOAN OF ANNOYANCE

just because i draw anime and 24/7 obssesed with anime+Sasuke and Kenshin *sigh* i TRY to be normal *blinks innocently*
I hide all my anime stuff ... and don't talk about anime... much.

Oh yeah, I have big problems with my parents with anime though mostly with my mum.

:)[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]I hate to be the pin to pop your balloon, but your mom is right. You should finish your homework before you sit down to watch your shows. Also telling your mom to go away because you don't like what she's saying is disrespectful and rude. IF you were my kid speaking to me that way I'd kindly remind you that I gave you life and I can take it away. And have you considered that maybe the reason you have an issue with your parents and anime is because you do have an obsession with it? Perhaps it's messing with your grades or something?

Really you're like 13 or 14 years old, how on Earth do you think you get the money to buy your anime and manga. I don't have much knowledge about the UK, but I'm pretty sure your work laws are the same as ours. Your parents obviously give you the money as allowance or something so the least you could do is be respectful to them and maybe realize that you could cut back.[/color]

LOL, somebody knows about the Cosby show XD. I agree though, but I wouldn't be kind about it.

[quote]Mum: You're watching this AGAIN!!! GO DO MATH
Me: "No.......... go away"[/quote]
I'm pretty certain Otakuboards wouldn't know about me if I were to ever respond to my mom this way. At the age of 13-14, too. Man, child abuse didn't mean a thing when I was that age, haha. Even now, I wouldn't ever say that to my folks, (siblings yes, but parents, no) and I'm 24 years old.

Anyway, I could've sworn I posted here before. Or was there another thread that was similar to this one? In any case, my parents never had a problem with me watching anime back then. Sure, they didn't want to sit through 30 minutes of Dragonballz or Rurouni Kenshin, but they knew that it was nothing bad since they know what I like.

Nowdays, my mom jokes about it and my dad watches most of the same series I watch, plus more.... He's watching Gundam 00, Gurren Lagann, and I think he watches Code Geass too.

I'm 20, and my parents don't give a rats *** about me watching anime, worse comes to worse my Dad is a goof ball and will see me watching a subbed series and will start saying stuff like "chinko chop, hai cha choi chang chak" and I'll just give him the -.- and he'll laugh and leave, no problems here, I'm surprised I see so many posts of parents minding people watch anime.

[COLOR="Sienna"][FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=#9933ff']IF you were my kid speaking to me that way I'd kindly remind you that I gave you life and I can take it away.[/color][/quote]Though I do agree with what you said in general... You do realize just how creepy that part sounded right? o_O Anyway!

SachiroUchiha, I'd have to agree with the others, anime like any hobby, comes [I]after[/I] homework and all those little details that result in you actually being able to purchase it.

My mom is fine with it but then that's probably because she knows when I'm watching it, my homework is already done. And since I have no interest in gore, nudity, fanservice, violence or language, she doesn't have to worry about me watching something that would be considered too mature for my age.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']By the time I started watching any anime, I was already living out on my own and attending college. So the parent approve/disapprove deal never came up. And I honestly can't remember if they cared if my siblings watched stuff like that or not. I'd have to ask.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's one way to beat the system =P

[quote name='Tallgeese-']Well, that's one way to beat the system =P[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]Yeah Rach! Way to stick it to the man!

In my humble opinion the best way to avoid parental disaproval is to do the following:

1.) Watch your anime and read your manga in moderation. Then your parents can't say you're being obsessed.

2.) Use your own money to buy your stuff.

3.) Wait until you're an adult (yeah okay I'm only half joking) because when you're an adult your parents really can't say anything about what you're doing. Unless of course it's damaging your life or career. Paying Bills and working > watching anime

4.) Try introducing or talking to your parents to the anime you're watching or the manga you're reading. It didn't work too good with my mom (My dad didn't care) but it works great with my other friends parents.

Yeah follow those suggestions and you may be able toi convince your parents that Anime isn't that bad.[/color]

[FONT="Tahoma"][QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=#9933ff]2.) Use your own money to buy your stuff.

3.) Wait until you're an adult (yeah okay I'm only half joking) because when you're an adult your parents really can't say anything about what you're doing. Unless of course it's damaging your life or career. Paying Bills and working > watching anime

4.) Try introducing or talking to your parents to the anime you're watching or the manga you're reading. It didn't work too good with my mom (My dad didn't care) but it works great with my other friends parents.[/color][/QUOTE]My parents don't like it period so number four didn't work at all. And since there are so many things out there that one can do as a hobby, I didn't give it much thought. I just found other things I enjoyed doing instead, it wasn't that hard.

I didn't even bother to follow number three until last year when I heard the tune of caramelldasen coming from my roommates room. That lead to watching Lucky Star and here I am.

It's perfect timing since I no longer have the parent issue and I have my own money that I can spend on stuff I really like. :catgirl:[/FONT]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I grew up in the 70's. Anime was heavily edited back then so my parents could care less if I watched it or not. All of the elements that might have been considered objectionable weren't in it since they were chopped out before it was aired. They didn't really start cutting back on the editing until after I was an adult so that made the point moot since they don't monitor what I watch anymore. =P[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
well since my parents divorced when I was young and I lived with my mom I never really heard anything from my father on the matter and since one of my younger sisters who lives with him is really into anime I can only assume that he really doesn't mind, but as for me my mom actually introduced me too it, albeit unknowingly, with the movie My Neighbor Totoro when I was really little since then she hasn't really minded

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm... well, I live on my own so my parents don't have much of a say anymore, now would they? ;)

Even when, they were old fashioned enough to just think I still liked watching 'cartoons.' My father was the most vocal about it, but even then it was just an occassional "You're too old for cartoons." I'd shrug and tell him everyone has their inner-kid to appease.

Luckily, now I can enjoy anime series at peace, with a fiancee that enjoys it as much as I do. :animesmil

• 2 months later...
[quote name='Braidless Baka']My parents don't "adore" it, but I suppose they've come to accept it by now. My parents aren't the kind to say "no you can't watch that" -- they're more likely to say "I hope you grow out of that eventually"

But they haven't said that either... O_o

So I'm safe! ^__^[/QUOTE]

My mom is the same way. I don't know about my dad though, cause I don't even know him. But if my mom catches me watching Adault Swim, I bet she would be furious. So if I want to watch Adault Swim, I have to do it when everyone else is asleep, and the volume has to be turned down really low so no one can hear it.:)

[quote name='itsoverninek']well since my parents divorced when I was young and I lived with my mom I never really heard anything from my father on the matter and since one of my younger sisters who lives with him is really into anime I can only assume that he really doesn't mind, but as for me my mom actually introduced me too it, albeit unknowingly, with the movie My Neighbor Totoro when I was really little since then she hasn't really minded[/QUOTE]

My mom is kind of like that. But she didn't introduce me to it though. My sister kinda did. Actually, I'm not to sure how I even started to like it, I just kinda did...:)And I don't know my dad AT ALL. Like I've never heard from him since I was just a baby. So I can't remember him, so I don't know what he would think of it.

• 1 month later...
[CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]My parents do not disapprove of me watching Anime. They don't disapprove of anything I do.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]I can tell that my mother wants me to be more real, and worry about things she thinks should matter to me. If I ever talk about anything that interests me, she responds by telling me that. One of those things is Anime. In a way it seems like she wants me to not have a dream, at least one of my own. She is over protective, and that is the problem. She wants me to be more involved with easy things, and never have to hurt. I dream big, and I intend to live those dreams. I wouldn't know how to live without her.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]My father would love how I am if he were still himself. He's crazy to the point of no return. When I was young, he watched Anime and Martial Arts movies with me, because he loved them too. We are alike, but lets just say I took his last words of advice for me. HIS last words. He would be proud.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]My step father isn't very involved in that aspect of my life. He's very respectful, and wouldn't down on me watching Anime or doing anything I want. I don't want to do anything that would get me or anyone in trouble or hurt. I wouldn't do anything like that even if there wasn't a law against it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]My mother does love my Anime drawings though, and shows them off to all her co-workers![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/CENTER]

[B](-Boukaju-)[/B]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]I don't watch anime at all anymore, but I owe most of my existance to it. My parents never had a problem. In fact my dad enjoyed watching DBZ when it was on, and I've forced him to sit through Naruto.

So, they don't care, and plus I'm going to be sixteen August 18th, why should I care anymore? I just wish Neon Genesis Evangelion was on again... I loved that show. :animesigh[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]My parents didn't really say anything but always found it kind of weird when I got really into anime. I think they wanted me to have more "normal" and perhaps cheaper interests. My dad didn't seem to mind as much as my mom, though, because we always watched Miyazaki movies and Toshiro Mifune films together as I was growing up. :]

However, I think now they wouldn't mind if I got back into it because I like Korean stuff so much now and they find that stranger.[/SIZE]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...