OtakuBoards

Does anyone's parents (Other than mine) Disapprove of their child watching anime?

Bishie

[QUOTE=Queen Asuka][color=hotpink][size=1]Oh my gosh, this is the most stupid thing I have ever heard!

I can't believe you actually think that with 7500 dollars you're going to be able to support yourself in Japan. You think you're going to learn Japanese pretty quick, enough to where you can get a job, and support yourself? Do you know how much the cost of living is over there?

I hate to burst all of your bubbles, but Japan is not paradise on Earth. It's not like in the anime movies where everything just goes your way and you can just move to the city and make a life for yourself. Its especially not enough if you don't have a high school diploma or a college degree.

I can't wait until you people hit at LEAST 16 and you realize how dumb you sounded when you said you wanted to move to Japan. It's one thing to want to visit, its another thing to want to live there, just because of your profound interest in anime. You think by going to Japan you can just lounge around all day and watch anime and read manga and not have a care in the world? Living all by yourself in a foreign country where the culture is completely different and they speak a very complicated language?

Oh my gosh, I just can't believe how stupid this all is. Your parents are RIGHT to keep you away from anime! Look how it's making you think? It's just delusions of grandeur![/color][/size][/QUOTE]
Aren't you being just a little harsh? For all you know Darius_Stomu may have been taking Japanese courses at school or at his local community college, I know I will be this summer. Besides I don't think you have any right to speak like that to someone. You must be bitter over something because you shouldn't be acting like this just because someone doesn't appear to be thinking something all the way through. What caused you to be so bitchy? They did say that they [U][B][I]were[/I] [/B][/U] going to finish high school and get their diploma! Don't you read!? Or do you just want to rant at someone? I mean at least have a good reason for ranting..Ok? I'm 17 years old and ever sense I was 12 I've been living in the real world. I think the only people who haven't been living in the real world are people who live a sheltered life and people who like to pick on others and try to crush their hopes and dreams... Maybe you should take a good look at yourself before criticizing other people. It's not fair to anyone when people like you open their mouths and say something like what you just said.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=Queen Asuka][color=hotpink][size=1]
Oh my gosh, I just can't believe how stupid this all is. Your parents are RIGHT to keep you away from anime! Look how it's making you think? It's just delusions of grandeur![/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]They say "experience" is the best teacher. You won't know how harsh life is until you really hit the streets. So if that's what they want to do, then LET them. Eventually they'll learn either way. That's how it was with me. It's very hard living on your own. You end up learning about how grateful you are to the life before--the comforts--especially when you are forced to live in poverty. Nothing is better than a slap in the face by this thing called 'reality.' [/COLOR]

[quote name='maikiratori]Aren't you being just a little harsh? For all you know Darius_Stomu may have been taking Japanese courses at school or at his local community college, I know I will be this summer. Besides I don't think you have any right to speak like that to someone. You must be bitter over something because you shouldn't be acting like this just because someone doesn't appear to be thinking something all the way through. What caused you to be so bitchy? They did say that they [U][B][I]were[/I] [/B][/U'] going to finish high school and get their diploma! Don't you read!? Or do you just want to rant at someone? I mean at least have a good reason for ranting..Ok? I'm 17 years old and ever sense I was 12 I've been living in the real world. I think the only people who haven't been living in the real world are people who live a sheltered life and people who like to pick on others and try to crush their hopes and dreams... Maybe you should take a good look at yourself before criticizing other people. It's not fair to anyone when people like you open their mouths and say something like what you just said.[/quote]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I read everything they said. I am not bitter and I am not trying to crush anyone's hopes and dreams. But when you are 12-15 years old and talking about how crappy life is and how your world revolves around anime and how you are going to move to Japan, you really need to take a better look around you at reality! You cannot say that what I have put in my post was very well made points. You, as an older person, should be able to understand where I'm coming from. This person was talking about taking Japanese from an exchange student. It's hard enough to learn a foreign language in school, much less from a person who does not even have perfect English.

I am not being bitchy, I'm just being motherly. I wish these people had parents who would sit down and talk to them about these things instead of trying to restrict them so that they have these crazy thoughts.

These aren't hopes and dreams. These are KIDS trying to rebel from their parents and watch WAY too much anime.

[b]Edit:[/b] Just because you're 17 doesn't mean anything. I live on my own and I go to college and I know how difficult it is.

Also, I barely get by with $500 a month. My rent is $315, then I have to pay for utilities, then I have to buy groceries, and then I have extra expenses here and there. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:[/color][/size]

In most ways, I have to agree with Queen Asuka. I don't really know what people expect out of Japan... but you really cannot hope to move into a foreign country as sheltered as theirs and magically expect to survive there. Japan does not exactly welcome foreigners with welcome arms, especially if they try to assimilate themselves into the culture. Getting citizenship here is a cakewalk by comparison.

Anime is part of Japanese culture, true. However, if a Japanese person moved here and knew little outside of what they've learned from American sitcoms and cartoons, what exactly would they do in this country? Japan is a real place, just the same as here. It's not a mecca where the world revolves around fun times and robots and knowing a few basic Japanese terms. If you know those, perhaps you also know "gaijin" and how much it affects you out there, especially in terms of national rights and a job.

I know people who have lived in or are originally from Japan and all of them really just say the same things. It's an insanely expensive place to live. The housing is cramped. Unless you're already fluent in Japanese, I can't see why anyone would even need you there honestly. You'd serve no purpose. What would you do? Wander around Akihabara buying games and anime?

Basically going there is more or less a pipe dream that exists simply because a person likes anime enough to think that they'd somehow fit in there more than they would here. It's not that simple.

My ex, Colleen, takes Japanese in college and is hoping to teach English in Japan. To me, someone with actual goals in that country that would actually provide a useful service has a decent reason to be there. If anyone here told me they knew exactly why they wanted to go there, I'd have little problem with it. Wanting to move there because you like games or anime, however, is just a passing phase that will hopefully go away... unless you find something useful to tap that into.

I'm reminded of that Simpsons episode where Homer calls the Mr. Sparkle Company in Japan. At first he talks to a normal looking Japanese guy, but he doesn't know English. So he passes the phone to another Japanese man that does know English and the man looks like a complete fool. He basically has thrown all of American popular culture on himself regardless of how true it is to America in reality. He even says "Hello cheif. Let's talk why not." lol To me this is basically what we're talking about here, except reversed (and obviously exaggerated).

If you're into that aspect, you might as well just vacation there a few times, I'd say. I'm sure I'm going to get a "don't crush people's dreams!" thing, but I dont care. Maybe it would make people realize that they need to know more about a country than what anime and manga show them. If you have a better reason to go, then that's another story really.

[QUOTE=Semjaza Azazel]In most ways, I have to agree with Queen Asuka. I don't really know what people expect out of Japan... but you really cannot hope to move into a foreign country as sheltered as theirs and magically expect to survive there. Japan does not exactly welcome foreigners with welcome arms, especially if they try to assimilate themselves into the culture. Getting citizenship here is a cakewalk by comparison.

Anime is part of Japanese culture, true. However, if a Japanese person moved here and knew little outside of what they've learned from American sitcoms and cartoons, what exactly would they do in this country? Japan is a real place, just the same as here. It's not a mecca where the world revolves around fun times and robots and knowing a few basic Japanese terms. If you know those, perhaps you also know "gaijin" and how much it affects you out there, especially in terms of national rights and a job.

I know people who have lived in or are originally from Japan and all of them really just say the same things. It's an insanely expensive place to live. The housing is cramped. Unless you're already fluent in Japanese, I can't see why anyone would even need you there honestly. You'd serve no purpose. What would you do? Wander around Akihabara buying games and anime?

Basically going there is more or less a pipe dream that exists simply because a person likes anime enough to think that they'd somehow fit in there more than they would here. It's not that simple.

My ex, Colleen, takes Japanese in college and is hoping to teach English in Japan. To me, someone with actual goals in that country that would actually provide a useful service has a decent reason to be there. If anyone here told me they knew exactly why they wanted to go there, I'd have little problem with it. Wanting to move there because you like games or anime, however, is just a passing phase that will hopefully go away... unless you find something useful to tap that into.

I'm reminded of that Simpsons episode where Homer calls the Mr. Sparkle Company in Japan. At first he talks to a normal looking Japanese guy, but he doesn't know English. So he passes the phone to another Japanese man that does know English and the man looks like a complete fool. He basically has thrown all of American popular culture on himself regardless of how true it is to America in reality. He even says "Hello cheif. Let's talk why not." lol To me this is basically what we're talking about here, except reversed (and obviously exaggerated).

If you're into that aspect, you might as well just vacation there a few times, I'd say. I'm sure I'm going to get a "don't crush people's dreams!" thing, but I dont care. Maybe it would make people realize that they need to know more about a country than what anime and manga show them. If you have a better reason to go, then that's another story really.[/QUOTE]
Well I'm not gonna give you the whole 'don't crush people's dreams' speach, one because I've already given it and if you feel like you should recieve the speach, just read what I already posted. Two because I think I've made my point. The only real problem I had with Queen Asuka's post was that she was very harsh in her choice of words.
Queen Asuka, I must apologize. What I said about you being bitter and bitchy was all said out of anger. I found what you said to be mildly arrogant and extremely harsh, so I lost control of my temper a bit and started to insult you. I apologize. I was wrong to do so and I still have a lot of growing up to do. I do, however, understand where you are coming from. I have lived in poverty with my mother and brother ever sense I was very little. Things did not start looking up until about 7 years ago, and nothing started looking up (for me) until 3-5 years ago. 5 years ago because mom was finally able to buy a house and settle down somewhere for longer than a few months/years. 3 years ago because I finally got a job and was able to start buying things for myself and helping to ease my mother's burdens. I started to help with some of her bills, like food and heating. One because I wanted to experiance what it was like to spend my money on something [I]other[/I] than whatever I wanted and two because I saw it as the only proper thing to do after all her years of hard work to bring my brother and I up properly. When I got a job, I did start to help out with things around the house and I did go out and buy things for me. I also worked extremely hard for 2,000 dollars worth of spending money when my mom and dad both helped to pay for a trip to France. As a semi-experianced world traveler I know how hard it is to try to get along in a forign country with limited understanding of the language (at the time I was in French I). It's not impossible, just excruciatingly hard. My $2,000 lasted me my entire trip and a little while afterwards, I had about 20 Euros (the equivilant of $25ish) and about $950 (us) left over. If I hadn't bought any souveniers or anything, my money would have lasted a lot longer, but that's beside the point. (Now that I mention it, what was the point I was trying to make in this post?) Oh yeah, I remember. I do understand that you're just trying to protect others from making really bad mistakes, but I don't think you should have been so harsh... I again apologize for what I said, I infact was the bitchy one... Sorry.

[quote name='Monkey_Orange][COLOR=DarkOrange']They say "experience" is the best teacher. You won't know how harsh life is until you really hit the streets. So if that's what they want to do, then LET them. Eventually they'll learn either way. That's how it was with me. It's very hard living on your own. You end up learning about how grateful you are to the life before--the comforts--especially when you are forced to live in poverty. Nothing is better than a slap in the face by this thing called 'reality.' [/COLOR][/quote]
Hey somebody should tell them or they'll end up being a bum, im kinda late at getting back to the boards so sorry if this doesn't make sense.

Well my mom don't care much. I mean she thinks sometimes the blood like in Inuyasha is bad, but she is ok with it a little. She even watches and likes it. She even likes Pokemon :ball: . Weird. But I haven't shown her the Evangelion dvd yet. :D :devil:

Yes, I do know that Japan is not paradise. Yes, I know it's harder to live there. But guess what? It's my dream, okay? I'm still young. I want to move out of this forsaken country before someone does something REALLY stupid and has us blown up! I want out of this home where I'm trapped in insults! All I get ALL day when I'm at home is "Why can't you be more like your brother and get into sports?" It's a damn load of BULL! I'm not one for not fulfilling my dreams! Besides, it's not like they'll want me in the house any longer. None of my family does anything for me cause, 1, My sister is a ***** that doesn't get off her damn *** to scratch it, 2, my brother would punch me everytime I don't do what he tells me, 3, my mother, being a damn neat-freak, goes into my room every hour on the hour to check if I have made a mess and blames me for something I didn't do and 4, my father, basically, throws me out the damn door everytime I'd leave the house, even for school! If they didn't want me in the house, they should have abandoned me as a baby or something other than endlessly torture me!

Just visiting Japan has been an impossiblity for me my entire life. I've been wanting to visit it's mountains, it's hot-springs, it's beautiful shinto shrines and be at peace since I saw my first picture of Japan...and now I get the chance. Hell, I would stay there forever if I could, and that's what I'm going to do. When I get there, I'm already going to know enough Japanese to get into a good conversation and get a job. I'm going to fulfill my dream. I'm going to go to Japan and prove all you people that don't even know me wrong. I will make a fine living. And who knows, maybe one day when all of you are 16 again, you'll come live with me. So, as you can plainly see Semjaza, this is not just some goal that will fade away over time. I will save my money. I will leave this country. I will live in Japan. Besides, I already have a profession. I'm already fairly skilled with computer programs. I'll start small, maybe just small computer games. Who knows? Maybe you'll actually hear of me someday...

Also, her english is perfect cause she had been studying it since she was 9. She speak just as well as everyone else.

Guest Polaris
My mother is really against anime and manga... I have to buy manga secretly, or check it out at the library without her knowing. I usually record anime on television to watch it when she's not around... She says it's trash. :(

[COLOR=GREEN]Okay, for the most part I agree with most of you on the "Moving to Japan" issue. Queen Asuka is right in that it won't be easy to just move to Japan and expect everything to just fall into place. I'm 18 and a senior in high school, and I'm finding it difficult figuring out how I'm going to support myself through college, even with partial scholarships. Though, I do want to move out to Japan one day, but only after I've finished college, obtained a decent amount of money, and visited Japan and am fluent in Japanese language and customs.

As for the original question, my parents never really cared about my obession with anime (yes, I will admit that), but they never really understood it. My mother, when I was younger, didn't understand that I found it offensive when she or my brother would constantly mispronounce names or titles on purpose. But in resent years, she has gained more of and understanding for it and occassionally tries to learn more about it. My father never has and never will understand it. I have tried to pursuade many parents of young anime fans at my school of the benifits of anime, so that their parents will allow them to join my anime club.[/COLOR]

[quote name='ssjSolarPrinces][COLOR=GREEN']My mother, when I was younger, didn't understand that I found it offensive when she or my brother would constantly mispronounce names or titles on purpose. But in resent years, she has gained more of and understanding for it and occassionally tries to learn more about it. My father never has and never will understand it. I have tried to pursuade many parents of young anime fans at my school of the benifits of anime, so that their parents will allow them to join my anime club.[/COLOR][/quote]
My mom has no clue as to how to anunciate any name, title or word that she hears that is anywhere near the Japanese language... She can hardly speak English properly as it is!! LOL... But it's ok, because I'm patient with her and she is now (finally) able to pronounce words like InuYasha, Kagome, Kikyo, Kenshin, Amon, and others... But it's really funny to hear her try to say Shigure or Miroku...Heheheh... It's really great.. 'M...Mrokru?...Murko?...Mrukro...' 'No mom, it's M-I-R-O-K-U...' And she still doesn't get it... Oh well, eventually, in time... She'll get it... (I hope)
I'd love for someone to start an anime club at my school... The only problem is you have to have a teacher sponser to do any kind of club, and most of my teachers don't even know what anime is... The ones who do alreaday sponsor a club or don't want to sponsor a club (apparently it's too much hassle)

Guest Umagon
my parents are like that, they say something totally different. im glad too that they cant. but they can speak english well. even if they arent from the u.s

[color=hotpink][size=1]Please read the rules on post quality or else future posts like this will be deleted. *QA*[/color][/size]

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [B]maikiratori[/B]
[I]I'd love for someone to start an anime club at my school... The only problem is you have to have a teacher sponser to do any kind of club, and most of my teachers don't even know what anime is... The ones who do alreaday sponsor a club or don't want to sponsor a club (apparently it's too much hassle)[/I][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=GREEN]So you want an anime club at your school. Well, here's a little tip on how to get a teacher to be your moderator. Just try telling the busy ones that all they really need to be there for is to supervise meetings and screen the titles that you watch (you have to be careful what you show in school, even in high school). Also, the moderator doesn't need to be a complete expert on anime; the teacher moderator for my club has only seen [I]Spirited Away[/I] a few times. You can also try to get more than one teacher to alternate the moderating job.

Remember, if you really want an anime club at your school, [B]YOU[/B] should take the initiative and try. If not, then it may never get started. That's what I did, and now, for some odd reason, I'm my school's leading informant on anime. If you need any more help, just PM me. Good luck![/COLOR]

My parents never have a problem watching anime. They let me watch, altough almost all the anime we have is RAW.(We have them subtitled) I'm barely learning Japanese. My mom let me borrow this book called "Japanese for Dummies" I like it. It's a really good book. (Even though I haven't read the whole book yet!) :cool:

• 1 month later...
Well, my mom isn't very fond of Anime. She says they look like they want to kill someone... :o *grumble* Mothers.. My dad doesn't even know what Anime is! :eek: But, my mom probably doesn't like it because I watch Adult Swim on Cartoon Network and she sees the [Adult Swim] label. I guess that's why. *shrug*

• 1 month later...
My dad despises it. He thinks it's stupid and is the reason my grades will go down in the future (he's a college professor :o ). I'm afraid of drawing in front of him, and he threatens a lot to throw out my anime stuff while deleting my folders on the comp. I usually don't watch anime in front of him very often if I know there is a lot of cussing or even the slightest most innocent sign of nudity (Inuyasha he's used to though...). My mom is a lot more lenient about me actually having an interest in anime. But she still bought the edited version of Ranma 1/2 for me, which is better than not buying it at all.

--BLUE

[color=darkviolet]My parents were really bad about it when I was younger. MOre accurately my mom my dad just added comments every so often. It's not that they thought it was some kind of soft porn, it was more of an academic issue and they felt that Sailor Moon (only anime I was watching because it was on Cartoon Network) was threatening my GPA. So maybe in that respect they were justyfied. ;)

A good thing about being an adult is that parents really can't restrict you. Of course it wasn't until I was an adult when I started buying my own anime and manga. (and doing things like downloading anime shhh). Of course now my mom doesn't want me to explain InuYasha because I told her it has something to do with demons. She made me stop because she doesn't like hearing about things like that. Not that she'd stop me from watching it or reading the manga if I was ten years younger. It's just that she gets uncomfortable with that stuff.

My knows a few different anime, but she really can't differenciate one anime from another. I know this because last night she was digging out decorations for my baby shower and she found wrapping paper with DBZ on it. She said "Oh look I fouind some Gundam Wing wrapping paper." She says they're all the same to her. I think it would have been funnier if she said it was Chobits or Princess9 though.[/color]

I myself have never had a problem with my parents. They know I like it and they let me watch it, even though they may not understand half the time. They also encourage me to draw it. But I can imagine parents having a problem with some anime out there, with exccessive sexual themes and profanity. But c'mon, most of the top-box office movies are much more vulgar and "mature" than that. So if the kids like anime, let 'em watch. It's not the shows that warp minds, it's how they are interpreted.

[font=Times New Roman][size=2]My parents when I was little never really cared about anything I watched. It could of been anime to horror movies they never really cared. Well my mom cared alittle but my dad would always say "its ok, let her watch it." But now I have a son of my own and I let him watch anime with me. He loves to watch Inuyasha,Gundam seed,and Dragon ball z. I hope that anime will give him a open mind about somethings. So as a parent if he wants to watch anime he can and I'll watch it with him.[/size][/font]

Wow, thats wierd. I guess it probably was the fact that you were watching Sailor Moon that gave your parents their "verdict". Did they actually confront you about it? That sucks, my parents are aware, but Im not a huge Sailor Moon fan, so my choices are less.....dubious. :cool:

[QUOTE=Bishie]Okay, heres another question. Its kinda pointless..but still! I HAD! to ask O_o.

My mother does not stop me from watching anime, im 17 lol ^__^ i doubt she could if she tried. BUT! do anyone elses parents dislike it? I know when i was alot younger she would try to talk me out of watching it, then got really bad when i started watching/reading Shounen-ai manga/anime. Apparently she thinks it will fry my brain and make me forget the real world.

I guess i really shouldn't have announced i was dying my hair hot pink, cutting it short to look like "Shuichi Shindou" and running away to Japan to find my Eiri *chuckles* Only joking, not ALL of that is true.

But so..anyway. Has this happened to anyone else before? and if it did, how did you feel about it?[/QUOTE]

[color=navy][font=System]My Parents just thinks i'm weird and they think i get it from anime but they're wrong! :D[/font][/color]
[font=System][color=#000080][/color][/font]
[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Please put more thought and effort into your posts in future please. One-liners are against the site Rules, and even though there's a large quote the rest of the reply is pretty much spam. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

Its weird but my mom actually watches anime with me sometime. She actually watches bebop and she likes big o. She also likes Inuyasha alot. One day I heard her sayin she thinks Sesshomaru is cute. :rolleyes: .

oh well. My mom doesn't give a damn. I watched the Bruce Lee story when i was 10 and that had nudity and a sex scene. nuthin happened. o well. except she will complain if im watchin american cartoons. She even enjoys pokemon.

My parents didnt have a problem with it (when I lived at home) I started watching in high school and they wouldnt care, but i was already 16 by then, so it would have been rediculous to not let me watch it. But still, at leat they werent that oppresive. :cool:

Well, My parents are divorced, so I have two extreamly diffrent opinions on the animes I adore...

My Mother loved Rurouni Kenshin, and came home early from her walk to watch it. Later on I introduced her to .hack//SIGN, Inu-Yasha, Witch Hunter Robin, Wolf's Rain, and a little bit of Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun... Heck, She even tried to cosplay Kaoru at AnimeNEXT this year...

My Father, on the other hand, who lives in a diffrent state, got wind of my habit of staying up late to watch anime. (Before I got a recorder VCR =^-._-.^=) He as most parents would, immediatly disapproved. I told him about what I was watching at the latest time of day, and it wasn't even on schoolnights (.hack//SIGN)
He took the liberty of looking it up on the internet and complained next I talked to him, he announced he din't like how the female characters dressed. (I'm guessing he was reffering to Mimiru)

I told him I would keep watching, and he knew he couldn't really do anything about it, so he dropped the subject. Later, I got to stay at his house for a while. It was midnight on a Saturday, and My stepmom, Father, and I were all still awake. I suggested watching .hack//SIGN with me to see for themselves, but they said "Naw, maybe next time..." and with a yawn left me alone watching .hack...

...Oh geez, I can't believe I just made people read that... =^o_o^=

Ill leave you alone now!