OtakuBoards

Does anyone's parents (Other than mine) Disapprove of their child watching anime?

Bishie

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Flamme Immorale [/i]
[B]My parents aren't white trash, really.[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I warn you now, be careful about who's toes you're stepping on. Some people may take that phrase to be offensive.[/color][/size]

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mam has no real problem with me watching anime, she even watches some of it with me, but I owe that recent development largely to Saiyuki as she thinks it's funny.

My parents don't mind me watching anime, but I kinda do. It gets me annoyed when my dad makes fun of it. My mom just ignores it, but she still acts weird with it. I haven't even told them what anime means, and I've only told my mom what manga is...and my dad is used to anime...my anime+parents relationship has tons of kinks...
Although I remember one time a few years ago, Fox Kids was showing the first episode of Digimon 01 (rerun) and I was watching it. My mom was too, for about the first ten minutes, and once they introduced Kuwagomon, she went "How do you remember all this stuff?" I just replied "I dunno. Kids brain, I guess."

[size=1][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]Make them watch Evangelion. That should make them realize that anime isn't for kids.[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

That's what I tried to do. Then, my religiously-obsessed mother found out that the Evas were killing Angels. She was not pleased. I was not pleased with her sudden outbreak of incessant preachings.

O_o, lol, but I guess it would work with other parents! My sister, who was neutral about anime, saw Evangelion and she actually thinks well of anime sometimes. (GASP!) My dad...I don't know what my dad thinks about it. He's never really home.

But seriously, if I'm watching anime and my mom sees ONE gun, she freaks out. I got back from TIP (three-week camp) and my mother had 'cleaned' my rather well-cleaned room again while I was away at camp. My precious Zelda mangas seemed to disappear. ::hollow laugh:: I've looked over the whole house for them...even the bathroom cabinets....[/size]

My brother makes it easy for me. He started his own "wrestling company" a few months ago so my parents are more worried about him breaking his or one of his friend's necks than me watching Anime. I have to say though in the passed year or so (after many long years of waiting) my parents don't seem to have any problem with me watching pritty much what I want. But then I think I'm the good kid ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kurama's_Gurl
[COLOR=red]My parents don't mind that I watch it, they just don't like it when I spend 24/7 on it. Which is true, I do. Not to mention wasting money on the stuff too. But other than that, they don't mind.[/COLOR] :ball: :angel: :sweat:

[COLOR=orangered]My parents don't really care if I watch it or not.:D
I'm more of a casual fan, so I guess it's because I don't spend [i]all[/i] of my time and money on it. ;)

To tell the truth, I didn't even know my dad knew what anime was at first. We were in the rental place one day and I was getting ready to rent Spirited Away, and he saw the cover and said: Is that Japanese anime? I didn't know he knew what it was... He said he used to like some anime as a kid.:)

My mom doesn't seem to care. I don't know if she knows what it is or not though.[/COLOR]

My mom was concerned when we rented anime 3 times at blockbust and all had, OVER 18 ONLY which is a bunch of poop. One was the street fighter movie and part of the series (I was eight at the time) and another mom previewed and she said it was hentai. and the third was the two part final fantasie movie thing, which I got scared (remember 8!!!) and said I got scared so at the time whenever I wanted to watch anime she lurked around the house and stuff. LOL!!!

My dad dont care none. (Nothing like proper english right???) My mom sometimes watches it with me. Even when my sister started watching anime (shes like 7) on adult swim and I told my parents that she probably shouldnt be watching that (i needed revenge) my mom said yea yea whatever. My dad was like oh let her watch it shes probably heard worse from your mom when shes angry. (Gawd thats scary...)

My mom and dad don't really care about it. They know i'm into other things (Basketball, MArtial Arts, Drawing and writing) so they dont think its its unhealthy or anything. But what does get me steamed is that my cousins step dad doesn't like him watching anime and actually tried too stop him from doing it, and his stepdad got married too his mom while my cousin was 15. Thats extemely not right. But he watches it anyway. When he visists, we watch Trigun, InuYasha, and Cowboy Bebop together. Both big fans of Lupin the 3rd too. But still love TRIGUN the most.

My dad nearly killed himself when he found out that his beloved "Speed Racer" was an anime. My parents are 100% anti-anime, yet I shove my obsession in their face seeing as how I have taken over the bottom half of our DVD tower, BWA HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! As for the reason they don't like it, they're convinced it's only for kids.

Got any suggestions for something that'll really blow their minds?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jim_Hawking [/i]
[B]My dad nearly killed himself when he found out that his beloved "Speed Racer" was an anime. My parents are 100% anti-anime, yet I shove my obsession in their face seeing as how I have taken over the bottom half of our DVD tower, BWA HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! As for the reason they don't like it, they're convinced it's only for kids.

Got any suggestions for something that'll really blow their minds? [/B][/QUOTE]

Love Hina, Plastic Little. But for less sexual answers, go for Cowboy Bebop, any of the Gundams except for G, and/or AKira. That should suprise them and change there minds.

[size=1] Eh, Plastic Little was sort of a failure in Japan, I don't think it's that good. Though it didn't work on my parents, you can show them Evangelion. Just make sure your parents aren't avid followers of their religion.[/size]

my parents don't care if i watch animes. its not like its bad or anything but ya know, they just really don't say anything about animes though.its not they really care about what i watch, but you know what i mean they do care about some things that i watch but animes aren't one of them so there is actually nothing to worry about on my behalf,but if my parents did disaprove of it that would be a whole nother story if ya know what i mean.I would be happy with them disaproving me of watching animes either, but whatever.l8ta.Luv and pz.

Guest cloud-strife
I only read the opening statement so I say that anime is the key to salvation it is a world that I live in and never leave oh yeah by the way I am crazy! *luaghs cuase he said never

My mom dorsn't like it much, she doesn't understand it. She limits it a little, but mostly for my brother (Yu-Gi-Oh, for some reason, so we watch it at my dad's house since my parents are divorced.) I hate DBZ, so I don't mind not being able to watch it. She lets us watch Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin, though. And I get anime DVD's from the library a lot and watch them on the computer (we have a DVD player program), mostly Evangelion, but I get some others too (like Ranma 1/2). She sounded a little interested in Slayers, though, I'll try renting it and showing it to her. She also really liked Spirited Away. I read all sorts of manga, mostly Inuyasha (my favorite manga^_^), and Ranma 1/2 (manga's better than the anime, I don't like Ranma's dub voice).
My dad doesn't mind anime and even thinks it sounds interesting. He just thinks it's too confusing. He'll listen to my half hour long talks about anime and he really loves to look at my pictures (even the ones of Shinji and Kaworu holding hands). He doesn't mind at all that I like anime, he even encourages that I keep drawing anime characters. He does get a little nervous when my brother watches some of the more violent anime's because he tries to role play the characters in our ongoing RPG, and ends up hurting me (his Yu Yu Hakusho characters act more like DBZ characters!). Then again, he also doesn't really like my brother watching The Powerpuff Girls-_-;, so that isn't saying much.
My brother loves anime, he just doesn't understand that it's not all aimed towards 9 year olds. He keeps trying to take my Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2 manga and read it. He also tries to watch Ranma 1/2 with me and one time I handed him a Fushigi Yugi manga to show him that it would be to hard for him to understand, but he just laughed at the funny facial expresions (which is also the only reason he likes Rurouni Kenshin). I did manage to convince him not to watch Evangelion with me *whew*, so at least he knows that not :all: anime's are meant to be hilariously funny.
As for shounen-ai, my brother likes it more than me. Of course, the only reason he likes it is so he can pick on the characters I like (he thinks Kurama is in love with Hiei). I do like Kaworu/Shinji, though. My parents don't mind. My dad has to tell my brother to stop singing "Kaworu and Shinji, sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G..." all the time. Anyways, now I'm done with my super long post-_-;

My mom realy has no idea what i do, i mean im not out of the house or anything but still i keep to myself and such. I dont realy wanna tell her about anime due to some of the mature stuff like the partial nudity in Evangelion or anything else so i just dont talk to my mom about it. I realy dont think i talk to my mom about anything other than word definitions, food, and my other more normal hoddies such as trail biking and making models from sratch.

My stepmother has commited the ultimate sin. Well, close to it. That @*&!$ put a dang lock on our DVD player! Although, she screwed up in one respect, my ADV films DVDs still play, even with the lock! So I can still watch Burn Up eXcess, Excel Saga, and Noir. Take that, parental controls!