OtakuBoards

Why do you like anime?

XeEmO

I like anime because of the things that happens within them. The storylines make

you want to write your own RPG just to see how creative one can get. I've written a

lot of RPGs with my friend Brad and many others with ReFlux. Anime is one of the

most amazing things. Its like watching a video game in progress without moving at

all. I've got give props to all the creators out. If it weren't for them I dont what I

would watch.

You've all mentioned great points about why Anime is so great. They really do delve into elements of human experience that rarely get billing on North American shows. They're willing to explore the eerily creepy, the truly disturbing, as well as the overly romantic (not lovey-dovey, but romantic in style), and much more thought-provoking stuff. The Ghost in the Shell: StandAlone Complex series, for example, explore the not-so distant reality of ccybernetic parts, and the practicalities and inherent ethical issues of such a thing. They manage to tap into human emotions in a way not done by others - a resonance that SHOULD be felt by all art. (Mind you, shows like DragonBall Z, while a great fun show, is not the type of Anime I'm talking about.)

What's so unfortunate about Anime is that it is considered a sub-culture, or alternative culture, while this is the kind of stuff that is really great visual/audio art and media.

While I'm here, and since ou all seem like intelligent Anime viewers - I will pose my problem to you. I've been killing myself trying to figure out the music at the end of Episode 17 of the Ghost in the Shell: StandAlone Complex episodes. The one where Aramaki goes to London to meet up with his ol' British chicky friend.

Can anyone help me out? It's the last song playing while he's in the car with Major discussing the difficulties of transporting wine through British customs.

Thanks a ton.

One last thing, for anybody who enjoys Anime, go check out the Ghost in the Shell series, as well as the movie. It is an absolutely stunning piece of work, and hopefully the second season comes out soon. Anybody squeamish about some, while tastefully, blood and robotic/human dismemberment, should perhaps re-consider viewing this series.

Balmon

• 1 month later...
[color=darkorchid]Well I like anime because its really exciting and much better than cartoons I guess it has more blood and the anime itself seems to be drawn alittle better. And some times you can really relate to that anime.I know when I get upset or depressed I watch Inuyasha and I always feel much better. It has more action than other cartoons and I think even when I'm 50 or 60 years old I'll still watch anime.I do tend to get mad when I hear some one put a anime down I guess thats how it goes. But I know if I find a anime I like,I always go and buy it so I'll never forget it.[/color]

Anime, to me, has always seemed to devulge me into a world of creativity. Whether its my fine appreciation for great artwork, or just a really great story, anime has always captivated me. I love how certain shows can almost completely grasp an entire lifestyle, make you feel understand what a fanstasy life could be like without actually being there. I would probably say Cowboy Bebop pulled off this "Down-to-Earth" feel with the show. Akira sort of did this to me also. Then again...its probably just that mainstream viewer talking in me. There are a few shows I don't like. Yes, you read that right. [I]Don't. Like.[/I] More than anything its probably because I can't get in to the show's mood or storyline. But I can say that I really enjoy watching new shows just to admire the artwork. Even if I don't like it.

From the totally cartoonish-cute animes, to the gruff-gritty and dirty maturer animes, I will always like anime. ;)

Guest RickHunter74
It takes to me to other worlds into other lives..away from the the "world" as we know it. Its like going on vacation without leaving home.

[QUOTE=Semjaza AzazelI also really love Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (the series people claim Disney ripped off for Atlantis... There are simliarities, but they are quite different).[/QUOTE]

You know I found proof somewhere that Disney riped-off Laputa when making Atlantis. They decided they wouldn't release any more Ghibli movies after Mononoke but they still had the rights to them so they decided to make their own crappy remakes of them. The first of these crappy remakes, and the only one that got anywhere, was Atlantis, which was made to be a crappy remake of Laputa. Luckily, Atlantis bombed bigtime and John Lasseter forced Disney to release Spirited Away and things went back on track after that.

As for why I like anime, I can't say I like everything. In fact, 90% of anime is crap. So how do I determine what anime to watch? I use the following criteria:

1. Style: Does the anime look cool? Does it have high-quality animation and music? Is the action well-directed and choreographed?

2. Characters: Are the characters interesting and/or funny? Do they have multiple sides to them? Can I feel for them?

3. Originality: Is the plot original and clever? Does it captivate? Is the presentation so radically unique it makes up for minor cliches (if any)?

4. Emotional Impact: If it's a comedy, will it make me laugh? If it's intellectual, will it make me think? If it's a drama, will it hold up any suspense, fear, or sadness?

If any anime I watch matches this criteria, I consider it to a great show.

And the lucky thing is that a lot of anime follows this (not a whole lot, but more follow it than series on currently in American primetime).

[QUOTE=EVA Unit 100]Semjaza Azazel: "I also really love Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (the series people claim Disney ripped off for Atlantis... There are simliarities, but they are quite different)."

You know I found proof somewhere that Disney riped-off Laputa when making Atlantis. They decided they wouldn't release any more Ghibli movies after Mononoke but they still had the rights to them so they decided to make their own crappy remakes of them...[/QUOTE]

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water and Laputa are two entirely separate anime, and they have a lot more in common with each other than with Disney's Atlantis (which contains some elements that might seem familiar to fans of either title). Frankly I don't think it makes any sense to assert that Atlantis is a rip-off, unless you feel like saying the same thing about Nadia. The Lion King, an amazing film in its own right, is pretty much the only Disney work I'd consider to be somewhat suspicious in the sense that you're suggesting (Kimba the White Lion, anyone?).

Anyway... I like anime because I like animation. Moreover, it was sort of natural for me to gravitate toward anime after growing up on a steady diet of fantasy and science-fiction novels. After I started having trouble finding books in those genres which I felt would be worth my time, I had to start searching out other forms of entertainment.

~Dagger~

[color=darkslateblue][size=1]I like anime because it takes me away from the horror of soap operas and politics. See, I'm not interested into the news and stuff (I'm still a middle schooler, but I do love Judge Judy, Law and Order too XD)

Anime is just a different way of television, and that's what I like about it. It can take you away from reality and is made of just others imagination. Plus, I think it's amazing how people can draw the characters, and the effects. It's not 3D, but it sure is beautiful to me. I've tried drawing, and I cannot do it. It still amazes me how people can do it, but it's just their talent.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]Half of Atlantis was an incredible rip-off of Laputa, as far as I'm concearned. It irritated me without limits when I discovered this fact.

I originally became interested in anime for the art style, as I felt I needed some kind of medium to focus on when it came to drawing (although I know now that anime and manga styles of art differ like crazy^^""). I've always found the character-designs' crazy hair do's and colours, clothes, and weapons attractive, come to think of it.

The first anime I really got into was Sailor Moon (but then again, who doesn't love Sailor Moon?! : O ), and then I kind of forgot about the genre for a while, aside from the art styles.

I'm probably as much of an uber-geek as I am because of my cousin, who kept lending me stuff. Pft.

*goes off and downloads some more Champloo or whatever*[/FONT][/COLOR]

I like anime because it is better animation. Even the style is better. The way they shade with computer is nice too. Also the stories are far out and sometimes deep, or sometimes loony. It is a broad field, and it has much to offer. Anime is a great art style that just happens to be awesome.

-MILZ

I like anime because the stories are amazing and I love the artwork. I hate watching real people trying to fake emotions, in anime you can believe the person is sad or scared or in love, in the real world that rarely happens. Also there are plotlines that would be impossible to do any other way. People can actually die artfully in anime, And even if the stories are imposible you can know that your watching someones art becoming an alternate form of reality....or maybe i'm just an idiot.

[QUOTE=Godelsensei][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]Half of Atlantis was an incredible rip-off of Laputa, as far as I'm concearned. It irritated me without limits when I discovered this fact.

I originally became interested in anime for the art style, as I felt I needed some kind of medium to focus on when it came to drawing (although I know now that anime and manga styles of art differ like crazy^^""). I've always found the character-designs' crazy hair do's and colours, clothes, and weapons attractive, come to think of it.

The first anime I really got into was Sailor Moon (but then again, who doesn't love Sailor Moon?! : O ), and then I kind of forgot about the genre for a while, aside from the art styles.

I'm probably as much of an uber-geek as I am because of my cousin, who kept lending me stuff. Pft.

*goes off and downloads some more Champloo or whatever*[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Post in the Champloo thread, damn you! ;)

As the designated dead-horse beater of this forum, I thought I'd reiterate what I said earlier. Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water is a Gainax anime, directed by Hideaki Anno, which dates back to the early 1990s. Loosely speaking, Nadia is to Laputa as RahXephon is to Evangelion--one could spend days listing all of their similarities. If Nadia and Laputa are siblings, Atlantis is their younger cousin... or something to that effect. I do not have a gift for metaphor. This has just sort of become a sore spot for me, after hearing so many people dismiss great shows because they're supposedly clones of something older. I don't love Atlantis, but if you condemn Atlantis you [i]really[/i] have to condemn Nadia, and Nadia's a damn good anime.

Ah, I'm just not making sense anymore.

To get back on topic: your post reminded me that I first took note of anime artwork when flipping channels and accidentally stumbling upon a Sailor Moon transformation sequence. I remember being sort of awed by how it looked so elaborate and, well, pretty.

~Dagger~

I like Anime...Simply because the fact that Anime gives us a view of life through a way that we wouldnt see in average cartoons.
Things like the Gundam series that shows us a look of the future where theres space colonies...and Gundams. You wouldnt really see that normally.
Also like Dragonball Z/GT shows us what it would be like if we had mad doctors and people could shoot beams out of there hands and eyes.
Inuyasha is another good example. It shows us about a girl who goes back in time to Japan in its Fuedel Era. But gives us an Anime look of it..Where theres demons, and humans that possess powers because of the Shikon Jewel.
Thats why I like Anime.

Lord Naraku

The reason i liked anime is because erm.. ah.. oh i know because when i was about 11 i was reading a amnga comic (cant quite remeber what it was thought? :confused: ) anyways i remeber i was always fascinated by the western and japanese themes and the general way of life for them. The culture was a thing which had me thinking and thought manga and anime films i kinda got a taste of it. As ive got older my taste changed and i know like thngs like cyber punk and mecha animes.

I'm not sure exactly why I like anime so much, maybe it's because i like the sense of humor, maybe it's because i think the art style is cute and in some cases well drawn, maybe because when I watch a creepy horror flick i can't handle real people. But i think the main reason why i like it so much is because a lot of the anime i like are the samurai ones or the ones with mystical creatures in them. another main reason i like anime so much is that i think cartoons are just a little too painful to watch i just don't like watching people in constant pain like that.

I like anime for what it is. Its jsut the same as any live action show, dont let anyone tell you different. Obviosuly it looks different ;), but it is still entertainment. I like the story, I like the characters or the action. Whatever it is, I like it. I like the Simpsons, just as I like anime. I like the charaters and the humor and the action. Just like your favortie movie. Anime is a form of entertainment, not some childish cartoon.

Obviously for my entertainment ; most of the story's are worked out nicely,for laughing the crap out of myself sometimes,the art,the special effects,the seeing things that will never happen or otherwise , the things that already happend , its something like another reality that i'm living in while i'm watching anime actualy.. sounds strange but with my lack of english i can't form it any clearer then this ^_^

[quote name='RickHunter74']It takes to me to other worlds into other lives..away from the the "world" as we know it. Its like going on vacation without leaving home.[/quote]

I agree with him because whenever we watch anime we just are transported to a completely different world and a completely different culture and set of customs.

And also anime is just so imaginative sometimes. Who would think up something like Totoro in America without having been under the influence? In Japan Miyazaki dreamed up completely different, unique, crazy characters and worlds.

Sorry this turned into a praise of Miyazaki. :love:

Guest AnimeDesire
i love anime because the draaw ing is so challenging and it's more human realistic. the eyes r BEAUTIFUL to draw and just by looking at sumthing anime gives me this feeling of awe at how beautiful looks. the scenery always looks realistic! the plots can be so deep and magical. it's very dramatic that it makes u want to know the end becuz u want to know the conclusion. the way they move wen they express feelings or just walking also gives me this feeling like that was cool or -i dunno it's another of awe becuz it amazes me the movements they use to express feelings or to ephasize somthing. also they have so much detail! just a simple task of putting on a shoe like in Spirited Away! it's amazing how they ephasize that! it's sooo drawmatic in such a beautiful way and that's y i LOVE it :love: ! the fiting scenes r AWESOME!!! again they emphasize each movement make it dramatic that it makes u think "that was cool!" :eek: i think anime is a beautiful type of cartoon and way of drawing :D but OF course!!! u caNOT forget the hilarious faces they throw in there that makes it even more fun to watch!!! ^_^ :love:

Hmm...why I like anime? That is a good question - I don't exactly know.

Mainly it's because of the content that it can give me. Cartoons are not anime. Cartoons have no plot. Comparing cartoons to animanga is like comparing a picture book to a novel. They're both types of books, but one is for preschoolers and the other is for YA-Adult. Also, I'm heavily into art. I like detailed animation and the way it is a lot more serious. But I also like the humor and the trademark faces.

Why I like anime...is there really an answer?

--BLUE

Guest Mai Nimashi
Hm... I really never thought of why I liked it. I guess I like it because of the different plots and events. I mean, every anime is different. You can't find any anime that is exactly alike.
I also like it for the the art. It's art is always so unique but also easy to draw yourself. The art sometimes tells you more about the characters and their personalities.
... I just love it! :D :) :p