OtakuBoards

Why do you like anime?

XeEmO

I just happen to like cartoons in general and when it comes to anime there's a large selection of movies. For some reason I also just like to look at it. It's nice eye candy and it just looks different that American cartoons.

I like anime because I like art. You can't watch any show on TV and say "Wow, FRIENDS has a great art style!" Also, I like the fantastical characters that you can't really execute well in a show with real actors. I get made fun of by my friends for being an almost-18 year old that still watches cartoons, but I always say, "I don't like cartoons, I like anime. If you would just watch it once you will see that these aren't any ordinary, plotless, and corny cartoons."

I simply like animation. I like cartoons. Anime, Western or otherwise... really, it's all the same stuff in the end.

Like most American animation, I think most Japanese animation is total tripe. I won't even touch most of it, and what's bad is generally made even worse by poor localization and voice overs.

Every once in a while though, you get something amazing. Most of it, for me personally, seems to come from Studio Ghibli. I really am not a fan of Princess Mononoke... but Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service and Grave of the Fireflies are all just excellent, excellent films.

There are also various series I really enjoyed. Serial Experiments: Lain is a good one for so many reasons. Ranma 1/2 is one of my favorites as well. It just does what it does well, and for me, it's repetitiveness never really gets in the way. Currently, I'm very into Hale Nochi Guu... which is fan subbed at this time. I'm hoping it gets a full release here in the states so more people can see it. It's a wonderful somewhat morbid, comedy series.

I also really love Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (the series people claim Disney ripped off for Atlantis... There are simliarities, but they are quite different). If you haven't seen this series, I think you should. It's lighthearted, but still surprisingly dark at times.

I think my main interest in anime is that it seems to be taken so much more seriously than most animation here. You'd most likely not see anything made here that's anything like Ghost in the Shell or Lain or whatever else... and if it was made here, it's generally something horrible like Heavy Metal.

Even shows aimed at generally younger audiences sometimes tackle much more heavy themes than cartoon series here. I remember a time several years ago when a character totally dying in a cartoon was an incredibly rare occurance. I don't remember any shows during most of the 90s that even brought that up, other than Dark Water and a few others... All of which simply died off.

So I guess it's many reasons.

Well to me personally one of the reasons is because anime is one of those art mediums where insanely exaggerrated things don't feel out of place. Take Ranma 1/2 for instance- the male characters get knocked skywards for dozens of meters without a second thought. Or Kare Kano, where Yukino's private thoughts and emotions get chucked up onto the screen at very rapid paces. I can't see live action pulling this kind of thing off believably. I also can't see the often larger-than-life characters of anime being portrayed in live action... it just doesn't seem to fit.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Osmosis [/i]
[B]Well to me personally one of the reasons is because anime is one of those art mediums where insanely exaggerrated things don't feel out of place.[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Or in Love Hina where Keitaro is on the second floor, Naru is in the Hot Springs, and her punch manages to connect and knock him sky-high. I laughed so hard, teehee.

I like anime because of the art style. I've always been into cartoons my whole life (I still am), but anime does have a bit of an edge over most things in America. Except maybe Disney. ^_^ I can't really explain what it is, but I like attractive characters. So yeah...I'm insane.[/color][/size]

Some people scorn anime that its for kids, its not for grown ups, its just violence and romance and blah blah blah... honestly though, its art. Its basically the same as a book with moving pictures. If grown-ups read books, why not watch anime? Anime is for all ages. I have a bit of bias against western cartoons, but some of them are really good while some of them just stink -_- But I guess that can be said for anime too.

[COLOR=indigo]I like anime because of the adventure and the good things that are there in the adventure. I like it because it's art, like most of you said. But sometime some of them can be not right for me, like I don't like them.

Though anime in the U.S.A is quite popular, where I live it's not that popular at all. Though I'm sure other places such as Illinois is much more popular with anime, and manga because that is where Shonen Jump is published.

I also like anime because of the storyline, and it has ancient weapons, and up-to-date weapons. It's just what I like, all jampacked in a cartoon series, or movie. I really don't have a good reason why I like it, it's just cool, and good. I hope that makes sense.[/color]

Well, I love most of the styles in anime, and I've always liked something that entertains me in a new way, and anime seems to do that for me.
Also, most of the anime I've seen has gotten strong reactions out of me, and anything that can do that is [B]not[/B] typical drama. I sorta like something that's good enough to make me cry for a while afterwards.

If I see a good anime, it's like I experienced the story myself. By watching live-action stuff, I can't really get personal with the characters but since anime often has in-depth stories and great animation, I can get into the show easily. It just leaves me with a higher feeling.

[FONT=arial]I like anime for the artwo*:blowingup*. yeah yeah, you get the gist. even if I get bored with the story, I could watch it/read it for the sake of the artwork if it's really pretty or eyepopping.

I think the main reason why I prefer anime above most western animation is because of the fact that a good lot of the people making them at least attempt to keep a decent story/plot. they still take what they're doing seriously even if it [i]is[/i] animated, as if it really were something out of a live action flick. and by golly, if they want to make it serious and have somebody die, they'll do it! don't know if all that was the best way to explain it, but hopefully you got the overall message.
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]exactly. most American cartoons don't have plots, so they just keep coming up with pointless scenarios until they're out of ideas or just end up reusing them. by then, just about [i]nobody[/i] wants to watch it anymore. in anime, once everything's happened in the story, they leave it alone, except for maybe making a couple of side stories later on that are only a couple of episodes long anyway (DBZ and a couple of others being the exceptions). if anything, a tv series not going on long enough is the bigger problem.
[/FONT]

Anime takes people to a whole new level where cartoons wouldn't be able to. Take for example, animes like Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion, Trigun, Kenshin, Hellsing, etc.

All those animes have these unqie storylines and in depth characters which make you yearn to watch it till the end. For example, Trigun. That anime made me cry several times, messages sent through that anime are things you can actually apply to life, and the humor is beautiful and unqiue. (For whoever has seen it, how many times did you laugh in that anime? And if you didn't cry by the end of that anime...SHAME ON YOU! lol)

Anime is more than just beautiful art brought to life. It's a medium of communication for artists to deliver to audiences without much censorship like with cartoons.

The main difference from anime and cartoons is the cencorship bestowed on them. There are some american shows which I love, (The Simpsons, it's classic. You can't deny it. lol) but because of censorship, they can do only so much (though, The Simpson have been around a LONG time). In the US, cartoons with nudity is EXTREMELY frowned upon or anyhting with major religious affiliation. Also, these days american cartoons are rather raunchy (even if there isn't nudity like in many animes) and can become VERY crude with almost no plot. :/

I watch anime because it is realistic, referring to the animation, most storylines,and the personalities of many characters. Even in science ficton or fantasy types of settings; they just seem more real to me than mostly every American cartoon I've seen. I mean, people actually die and get hurt and that type of thing.

I love the way the feelings of the characters are expressed in anime shows.

Also, most of the anime I watch have at least something to do with Martial Arts or guns or big mobile suits, because i love fighting.

Well, I like anime because:
1. The art of it.
2. I like the story lines and how sometimes your life relates to them.
3. A lot of the shows have great imagination.. you need that for a good show.
4. You can always find the kind of show you want.. like comedy, action, adventure, drama, romance, or violence.
There are probably more reasons in my mind why I like anime... but that's the basics.

• 1 year later...
Why? WHY? Because.

1) The style and art.

2) The really cool music!!

3) (Time to get serious.) Anime expresses the creators ideas. Out-loud, too. It's good to express things aloud, especialy if it's an idea of some sort. Being thoughtful and creative makes you a better person because you are open-minded. That is in MY opinion.

4) The different kinds vary a whole lot! There's Comedy, Romance, Action/Adventure, Fantasy, so on.

5) I JUST DO!

Basic, childish reasons, but at least they're true! :)

the reason i like anime is the fact that it gives you a chance to escape reality, and to watch a story that would not be possible to tell in any other media. also i like it in the way that it is a artform the way an animation is put together the ways motion is porteayed, nothing like the crudity of western cartoons.

Guest Mimiru
I guess I like anime because of the interesting stories and how it sometimes can relate to real life. And Its sometimes really funny!

[QUOTE]from Terrax
the reason i like anime is the fact that it gives you a chance to escape reality, and to watch a story that would not be possible to tell in any other media.[/QUOTE]

its absolutely true with me. especially in the science fiction/action animes. they usually aren't real. but here are some other reasons why:

1.the story plot doesn't repeat itself(ok, so mabe the idea is repeated and twisted a little, but its not the same!)
2.sometimes the characters are SO cool^^ (bishonen)
3.you can relate to the story sometimes...(for me i related to one of the mangas a i just finished reading)

see wut i mean? :D

I like Anime for the same reasons. I love the art and stories. I loved cartoons when I was younger, but once I started to get into Anime I hardly ever watch American cartoons, aside from The Simpsons and a few others. I hate most American cartoons, and comics, including Disney. Disney just annoys me for some reason. ¬_¬

Actually I bought two posters of Ghost In A Shell for my room in my mom's apartment, and I've never seen it, but I like the artwork. It adds to my loads of refrences I use for my own artwork. ^_^

[color=darkblue]I remember the first time I saw anime, it was Dragonball Z. I was walking through the linging room, and my brothers were watching it. I just stopped in my tracks, literally. I was like, "Whoa... that guy is punching really [i]fast."[/i] The art and the action just sucked me in. I'd never seen anything like anime before, or since.

I like the aspect of anime that it is typically seen as a child's medium, but with adult action and storylines. I think it has even brought modern cartoons to a more adult level -- matured them, you could say. Anime has brought entertainment to new horizons.[/color]

I like anime for its art mostly. Some of the story lines to some animes are great too.
The best thing about anime is the action. As you can tell I love action. If there is no action I would not like it that much. But anime has alot of action. So I'm not bored all the time.

You know what's cooler then anime?

Well, me, but that's really about it!

But seriously, (seriously, I am cool) does everyone in here speak English? What about japanese speakers? Everyone here born and raised American? I doubt it. There's a million reasons to love anime and everyone has already mentioned quite a few, but I want to point out one that has been unspoken; the culture. I ain't japanese, and I've never been to the land of the rising sun. But I do know that japanese people are crazy. Oh yeah, looney like Tucan Sam after too many turqouise jell-o shots. Pachinko? Dance Dance Revolution? POPULAR Kareoke? School uniforms? One uniform hair color with only slight variations for the entire island? LIVING ON A VOLCANIC ISLAND?!?! It's gotta be nuts being japanese, lord konws their anime makes it seem such. Sometimes I'm startled by how much like my own culture these shows can be, and other times I'm just entertained by the spectacle of manners and customs. I wish my grandpa had been a grounds keeper for sacred shrine. I'd spend all day climbing the sacred tree and dropping pennies into the sacred well (So do you think the pennies would fly UP out of the well in the past? Assuming ofcourse they had a jewel shard tied to them so they could pass ;).... no I guess we no that isn't true, Kagome always jumps DOWN then lands on her feet on the bottom in the past)

Another aspect is community. I really like Seinfeld, and Iron Chef, and the West Wing, and MXC but there's no good message board for that kinda thing. There's no video store where other people are looking through the Iron Chef dvds. I like anime fans, we have a lot to talk about and we're all usually half crazy or high and have our heads filled with so much craziness... I think we live in the same world as the normals :laugh: , but we see it from our own perspective. And that's not to say that one anime fan's perspectie is going to be the same as another, but there's a level of understanding.

Plus we're the kind of people that have the TIME for this kind of hobby. It's taken me hours out of my days for years of my life to get this much anime under my belt (and I'm a light weight!) Anime is a form of entertainment and for me, and I think a lot of people it's a type of entertainment that is kinda particular. I like that anime is a place where not just stories but ideas are being put on display to examine. I like that entertainment is escapism. And I like seeing people who aren't afraid to act how they really feel. A lot of it comes back again to censorship, but not in the legal sense (although i do dislike the censureship) but more censureship of ideas and culture. Let's hear from teh bad guys point of view. Let's see some bad guys that aren't robots from the late 70's who we can blow up uncountedly without consequence of action, law or morals.