OtakuBoards

Metropolis

Cibo

Now this is a pretty cool movie. Even tho the plot is kinda thin at times, the graphics and sound make up for it. I was especially impressed by the sound quality of what they did. They had a sound for almost EVERYTHING that was showed on the screen. And the graphics...well the graphics just blow you away. :drool:

I sugguest everyone to see this at some point in their life because it really is a pretty good movie. :whoops:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
:) I agree Metropolis is a pretty good anime, the plot is yes a bit thin at some points (many animes are) but it really is a visual and auditory treat indeed! I will second the notion that if you have a chance to rent this anime that you do in fact rent it, before you buy it, since some may be turned off by the plot and the style!;)

Guest Voodookanaka
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kouberei [/i]
[B]Metropolis? Does the anime have any thing to do with the silent movie with the same name? [/B][/QUOTE]

u mean the old early 1900's movie, made tezukas old manga from it? yep it does, well its apparantly similar.

It's about 30 dollars at the video store. But it's on 2 DVD's and I believe it comes with an audio CD (not sure about this, though). I didn't think Metropolis looked that good. What with the characters all being little kids (or they looked like it) and all. Maybe I'll have to take a second look at it now. I made the choice between getting Metropolis or Spriggan, and I got spriggan instead. ^^

Metropolis the manga is somewhat based on the old Lang movie from the 20's... And the anime is based on that manga, although rather loosely. I guess the most recent comparison would be A.I., because the movie touches on the "can a robot love and be loved" thing quite a bit. I don't feel the plot is that thin, but it can be hard to follow at times.

The animation itself is amazing. I was happy when I saw the first shots of Metropolis, because it was a return to the old soft style of anime that no one does anymore. Everyone uses that pointy method that was popularized by Dragon Ball (and whatever other anime that has pointy hair). But this is such a double edged sword. All the characters look too Mickey Mouse Disney-ish. It's hard to take anyone seriously when they look like a doll. And then the main bad guy has a nose the size of a plane. It works well for Tima and Kodeichi (the two main kids), but most of the adults just look weird... The movie also uses that Looney Tunes circle wipe, which I haven't even seen in an American cartoon since Animaniacs.

The package itself it beautiful. The art when you open up the case is incredible and so colorful. There is no music CD. There are 2 DVDs in the case. One is the movie, and the second is a mini-DVD (the size of a GC disc) that has all the extras. Speaking of the music it really caught me off guard... Jazz and Ray Charles are the last things I expected.

It's good though, and right now it's $19.99 on sale at Suncoast... Generally it seems to go from 25 to 30.

yea i've seen this movie too and i watched it 3 times in a week, i maen this movie is really sweet!! but also its kind of sad at the end but i won't give out any spoilers out. and by the way the boy's name is kenichi not kodeichi if im not mistaken

hey what a coincidence my name is tima, hmmmmmmmm.......i knew i remembered that name from somewhere.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SemjazaAzazel [/i]
[B]All the characters look too Mickey Mouse Disney-ish. [/B][/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing when I watched it.

Great movie in the video and audio departments, but the plot is kinda hard to follow and it ended a little wierd for my tastes.

Its not my favorite, but its pretty good. All in all, I would say that you should give it a try if you havn't seen it before.

• 2 weeks later...
I just finished watching it. I highly recomend this movie to anyone. It really affected me like no other movies has ever done. This is an Akira of the 21th century. I almost cried when the credits ran with that beautiful song.
Once again, I recomend at least a rental.

If there's something I didn't like, it's the way some of the robot deaths are displayed. They should be classified as gory, since the robots acted almost as living creatures.

9.95/10

The plot was fine to me. I didn't really have a problem with it. My beefs are with the audio (I dislike whatever music style they used) and the ending ([spoiler]THEY KILLED TIMA! RRRAARRR!!![/spoiler])

I kept thinking about Rock through the whole thing. I hear 'Rock' and I think 'Rockman'. Then again, Rock and Protoman really seem similar to me. Still, I never confused them...I like them both. "I won't let you hurt my father!" Loyal to the end!

I was also suprised that they were playing the subbed version in a AMERICAN theater. Not dubbed? Weird. Not a bad thing, mind you...just weird.

SPOILERS

[spoiler]Rock? I hated him. In fact, when he appeared after being shot, if actually said out loud: "That (SOB) is still alive? Goddammit!"

And yeah, why didn't Tima give Kenichi her hand? :bawl:[/spoiler]

• 4 weeks later...
Just finshed watching thism ovie earlier today. In short, I loved it.

I do not think its soemthing I will watch over and over again, but I do think it is a good anime. I thought the plot was fine, true it was not too deep, but it wasnt to shallow either.

I was a little turned off by the 1970's style charater animations, but the digital animation and sound more then made up for it. I just love the scenes where it shows the city and then zooms in on it.

The sound was amazing. I watched it at my Grandma's so I did not get to experience the surround sound, but even in stereo I thought I was sitting at home with my SS. It does seem like they have a sound for everything on screen. Even the english dub of it sounds good(thats rare too).

The DVD comes with two discs. One that has the movie and a few trailers, and a small, gamecube sized one. The small one has a Photo Gallery, Making of, Animation sequences, History of Metropolis, and Interview with filmmakers. The Animation sequences is cool too. It lets you watch how they did one scene in about 5 layers, then put it together for the final cut.

But do not be turned off by the Old charater styles...Once you see it it throws you into a daze, cause it looks old, but the graphics are so awesome.

But I agrea, you may want to rent it first. I think its great but I can see where some people may not like it. Especially if the 1970 micky mouse look gets to you. I dunno know though, It didnt really bother me after the first 5 minutes. But just rent it first to be on the safe side.

Two Thumbs up!

• 1 year later...
Guest kingnothing47
i saw the movie metropolis today and i thought it was a good movie overall but it had the the most messed up music ever. i just want to know what everybody else thought about it

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Japan_86 [/i]
[B]I agree with you. I saw the movie several times on the Action West Channel. The movie was alright, but the music was horrible. It was like music from the 1950's.[/B][/QUOTE]

[font=comic sans ms]Nah, it really fits the movie. Even the song--which, as I understand, is a variation of the opening theme--when [spoiler]the Ziggurat blew up[/spoiler] in some way fitted it. It's sort of ironic given the context of the scene, really.[/font]

Guest kingnothing47
i got another question: why did the kid wanna stay in the city? there really was no point to

The story is basically as old as that music, and itself is based on something older. The music was well used and made perfect sense, I thought. The Ray Charles music at the end was very fitting. Better than the blaring techno and cheesy outdated rock I'm used to hearing in these films.

I wrote a review for it at theOtaku, if anyone is interested.

I rented this not too long ago. It was quite good, and I actually liked the music. I almost bought the manga last weekend to read on a train ride but it didn't look very long and it was quite expensive. I'm guessing it came out around the time manga in general came out, because it kind of looks like a really old american cartoon.

i saw this a while ago, i thought it was good. i thought the music fit the story. i'm guessing the boy staying in the city was sorta like in the face of dispair there was still hope or something like that. *shrug* i understand things much better inside my head :whoops: