Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Serial Experiments Lain


Recommended Posts

Guest Forte
Posted
Well first off, I don't know whether someone posted something about this and I'm NOT about to go through pages of junk to look for a single thread...

Well, has anyone heard of his anime? SEL is my favorite anime of all time, its only 13 episodes long though. Its quite confusing at first to most people because its kinda hard to understand. But its got a very well thought plot and some awesome music [atleast I think so...]
Posted
I saw the first episode today, I love the opening song ^^

[I]I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning
Help me to breathe
I am hurting, I have lost it all
I am losing
Help me to breathe
[/I]

It was alittle weird at first but I may grow to like it more.
Posted
I saw the series [i]twice[/i] and I still don't quite get the ending.

Of course, it was still good. It reminds me of "Key: The Metal Idol." Lain's character was really complex. I sometimes wonder if Cyberia Cafe was supposed to be metaphorical for something.
Posted
mmm... no idea, though it seems to be a cult classic..though most animet seems like it's one of the most confusing animes ever, too...
Posted
[color=darkblue]
I don't know if it could be more confusing than Evangelion, or not, but I am definately going to check this out, because it sounds good. I'll just have to finish Scryed first.
[/color]
Posted
I've yet to see the DVDs cheaper than 30 bucks each... If you really want it, there is a box set that will save you some cash.

Lain is probably the only thing I've seen that I simply cannot explain. There is this basic plot device at the start involving the "Wired" which is basically their version of the internet. Lain get's involved with the Wired, as well as group that basically rules it known as the Knights. It then gets into all these bizarre things involving the Wired and real life coexisting and mixing up. There is a lot of spirituality/god type things thrown in as well.

I'm not going to bother being any more clear about it lol. It would take me hours to put this anime into words. It's really complex, and what you think you finally understand is thrown out the window in the next episode. I'm not sure that I fully understand it, and there are so many ways a lot of the stuff can be taken.

However, I totally recommend it... It was one of the first anime series that I bothered to get every DVD of (it helps that there are only 4 :D). It's something that you have to watch dubbed and subbed to really understand I think. Sometimes you need to hear actual voices you can understand explaining it to you. One or the other is kind of too much at once, at least the first time through.
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by projekt_navi [/i]
[B]I bought all 4 lain dvds in one day!!!

I reallly got addictive to this anime!!

I highly recommend!!!

what ... can't even thank me that you saw lain ... Utena_Tenjou ... :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you for recomending it to me :)

I didn't even get to finish the first episode >_<
Posted
The storyline to Lain is very depressing indeed. The fact that Lain is part of a dysfunctional family, and that she has very few friends maks the matter even more.....sadder.

Lain's depression is sketched quite well. Her gradual submersion into the outside world is very much alike that of many other anime characters, like Rei from Evangelion.

Surprisingly, Serial Experiments Lain features some of the most litterally drawn characters and settings in recent anime, as are the artworks in the series that stunning. From sewers to streets, the graphics in Lain never seem to disappoint.
Posted
[FONT=arial]Lain is really good. it's different from most of the other anime I've seen. the animation isn't as 'pretty' as most, but I think it works better being more simple. it is rather confusing, but it's just one of those anime you have to watch more than once to understand :D[/FONT]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by projekt_navi [/i]
[B]I bought all 4 lain dvds in one day!!!

I reallly got addictive to this anime!!

I highly recommend!!!

what ... can't even thank me that you saw lain ... Utena_Tenjou ... :D [/B][/QUOTE]

isn't that expenisve? i mean, that's like 120 bucks
Posted
[QUOTE]isn't that expenisve? i mean, that's like 120 bucks[/QUOTE]

Actually, I was visiting New York that day I bought all 4 Lain DVDs. Well, the same day, my cousin got high and drunk (I guess) and gave me 200 Bucks to spend!!!

what a dumbass ... :devil:
Posted
man, i like your cousin...lend me some dough! jk...

anyway, how much is the box set? im also gonna go on google to look up this seemingly interesting anime.
Posted
on Amazon you can buy it for a little over a hundred bucks. I'm not sure if that's the regular price for it though. here's the rather long URL if you wanna see for yourself ^_^.

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005NX1N/qid%3D1004030956/sr%3D8-1/ref%3Dsr%5F8%5F3%5F1/103-0158424-1385445[/url]
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Utena_Tenjou [/i]
[B]I saw the first episode today, I love the opening song ^^

[I]I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning
Help me to breathe
I am hurting, I have lost it all
I am losing
Help me to breathe
[/I]

[/B][/QUOTE]

I also love the opening song. It's great!!

So what do I think of lain....well, look at my sig. Yes I love it, although I still don't completly understand it, it is my favorite anime. I like really complex and interesting types of things, so I'm all over this.
  • 1 year later...
Posted
I've heard quite a bit about this anime series lately.
I've heard a brief description of the story, and that it's quite good, but I'd like some people's opinions.

Has anyone seen it, and what did they think about it?
Posted
I've not watched it in quite some time, but I am a very big fan of the show. It's one of the few where I bothered to buy each DVD in the series... luckily there are only four of them.

The show is basically about this girl named Lain and her experiences with the Wired. The Wired is basically the internet, but it has reaches into pretty much every aspect of the outside world. Far more than that of our world.

It's been so long that I cannot really go into much more detail. Even if I could, I doubt it would make much sense. Lain is incredibly hard to explain on any basic level, and it's very dependant upon its visuals.

In any case, I do think it is a must see if you are willing to pay attention to it. It's not boring by any means, but it's a bit more complicated that most anime people bother to see.
Posted
Lain is one of the best Anime out there on the philosophical leavel. There eipsodes are well done and the animemation is done with greatness. And the Opening theme is verey good, but back to what i said elier. This is hard anime to follow if you dont pay close atteion and takes alot of God Reilgion and Death. So it really makes you think after watching it, but you might have to see it twice to get the whole picture. my bad part to short only 13 eipsodes if i remeber right
Posted
[size=1][color=crimson]Oh I have heard about this anime but I have yet to buy the dvd. It would help if some one done a review about it but ne way I think I might buy it.[/size][/color]
Posted
I use to watch that show every chance I got before they took it off Tech TV. The artwork is pretty good, but like Lone Bebop said its hard to follow. I missed two eps. and i was completely lost ^_^.

Lataz,
Lisha
Posted
!! i really liked serial experiments Lain- the plot is extremely dark and complex and i lovveee that kinda thing but you really have to focus and catch everything that they say when u watch it. the animation is really good and this series is unlike any i've ever seen so far! anyway, since i cant write a review bc i don't think i understand it enough, i think that for anyone considering buying the dvds you should borrow the series or rent them first b4 buying cuz you might not like it- its one of those slightly creepy/disturbing/complex/deep/confusing-at-times animes and it just might not be ur thing. but if u do its not that much of a waste of money cuz they're only 4 dvds in the series ^-^ hope i was helpful to somebody!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...