OtakuBoards

What are your thoughts on commercials?

Pagan

I hate commercial with a passion; peopel trying to sell you stuff you don't even want over TV. I've noticed they always put commercial in good shows other than crappy ones because more people will watch those ;so more buisinesses want their commercials on good shows. What does the TV company do ,they make the shows shorter to accommodate their many commercials. I was outraged when they made Paradise Hotel shorter so that it was more commercial time then show time.

On a different note thou, there are some pretty entertaining commercials out there. Like the one with Missy and Madonna trying to sell you jeans or the one with the man who can't dance trying to sell you boxers. I used to love the Coke Polar Bears or Beyounce or Britney Pepsi ads. Some commercial are pretty helpful like the ones that tell you when a show is coming on or when a new show is coming.

If you like commercial whats your favorite?? If you don't why??

My favorite commercial is the comedy central one that parodies reality tv shows. The Vault. But I do think we could do with less commercials and more of the shows. They could set it up so they show the show you're watching in it's entirety, then have a block of comercials. That works so you could do something for the ten minutes inbetween the shows, like play a game, or practice and instrument. Do homework perhaps?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Radaghast [/i]
[B]They could set it up so they show the show you're watching in it's entirety, then have a block of comercials. That works so you could do something for the ten minutes inbetween the shows, like play a game, or practice and instrument. Do homework perhaps? [/B][/QUOTE]

But, think of this from a business perspective - if you were to have the entire show run for 20 minutes then have 10 minutes of commercials, would you watch those commercials? Probably not. People watch these commercials because they want to get back to the [i]show.[/i] If you showed the entire episode, commercial viewership would drastically decline.

I like comedic commercials. One of my favorites would have to be the Volkswagen commercial where the guy jumps in front of the shopping cart to save the Jetta from being hit. Gold...:laugh:

I hate the boring "Lose weight with XXX diet pills" or quickly repeated commercials (same commercial over 4 channels in a 10 minute period = BAH!).

I hate commercial almost as much as you, Hells Fire. I really don't understand the point. I have NEVER been convinced by a comercial to go buy something.(except maybee a movie ticket) Sure, the things expose you to new products, but most are so annoying that they totally turn me off to buying what they are trying to sell.

As for favs, I must say the one for the truck with the hemmie(sp) is pretty good.
[i]--Where the guys pull us next to the truck with a trailer.
"Does that thing have a hemmie?"
"Yup"...[/i]
you know the rest.

:therock:

The commercial I currently hate is the current Wendy's commercial about their chicken sandwich, I think. It's got the guy coming home to his wife and telling him he's made a decision etc... I didn't think ugly people were allowed on TV but I guess I was wrong.

The worst commercial was always that one with the little kid holding a dollar on the bench for McDonald's, talking about how in his day a dollar meant a lot. Yeah, whatever. I wanted to punch that kid in the face everytime the commercial came up... he was just so annoying.

I hate wendy's commercials too ever since that dude died. McDonalds also have some crappy one's like the thing about them being scared and they dress up as Elvis and dance. My most hated one is that Enigizer Bunny I hate that little drum he plays so much.

i HATE PASSIONATELY EVER SINGLE COMMERCIAL!!!! woops, caps lock, and im lazy;P

anyway, yeah, comercials suck, they all annoy me. ive gotten pretty good at changing a channel and turning it back at the right time. so, its not that big of a problem. espeically since that's when i get up to do stuff. and homework. ;p wink

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hells Fire [/i]
[B]...the one with Missy and Madonna trying to sell you jeans...[/B][/QUOTE]

I work for Gap Inc. and sales on those chords *they aren't jeans* had a noticable incline. In some larger stores in NY they were also offering free initial printing on your pants just like in the commercial. So commercials do have a purpose, belive it or not.

Personally, I think we should adopt the Japanese way of commercials; you have one commercial break in the middle of the show that is 4 minutes in length with about 5 comercials ranging from about 45 seconds each. If you can't make the cut, then your commercial doesn't get aired.

Ah yes, the Japanese way of commercials. 5 minutes? wow in the Trigun anime DvDs there about 2 seconds.

The commercial I hate most is the McDonaldes one with the kids that dress up as Elvis. Oh how annoying, I just hate that commercial.

My favorite commercial is the one that the show in the middle of the DBGT episodes in Japan. A grandpa and a kid are sitting up on a roof with a macarani type of thing, I think it's great. Though I can never understand what they say, there is not subtitles for the commercials.

I personaly hate a local commercial in the central new york area. It's of a man named Billy Fucillo trying to sell you cars by screaming about the prices and the parking lot by constantly saying "IT'S HUGE"

If I ever met Fucillo on the street dying from a shot to the chest, I'd kick him and complain about how many naps have been interupted.

and here's something a little off topic, but does anyone hate radio commercials?

I think radio comercials are some of the best and least annoying type of commercials, but only if they're for a rock or alt-rock station(in my opinion, anyway). I specifically*sp?* remember one that was the FBI interrogating Santa Clause about him possibly being a terrorist.

And I too hate the kids and the clown dressing up as elvis in the micky-d's commercial. They're insulting impersonators everywhere.

Commercials are unbearable, there are commercials every five minutes and they're always the same exact commercials over, and over, and over, and over, [i]*15 minutes later*[/i] and over again. You have no idea how disgusted I am with Truth. People know smoking is bad for you! Obviously nobody cares or they wouldn't be smoking! Shut the hell up all ready! Geez, I hate smoking myself, but damn I really hate those commercials.

Not to mention it's infinitely worse for sports fans, because they have to advertise products on the show every other second before finally taking a ten minute commercial break. It's ridiculous.

I personally dislike commercials just as much as most of you folks. I disagree with Radaghast, though: radio commercials bother me [i]way[/i] more than TV commercials. If you're going to bore me with details about your product, at least accompany it with a visual :).

Of course, I also agree that they're pretty much a necessity. Actually, one of my best friends [i]loves[/i] commercials. She'll sit up and watch the TV more closely during the commercials than the actual TV show. Which I find extremely strange.

I saw one commercial the other day (with her, she pointed it out to me actually) that was pretty funny. There's a car accident, and the two guys get out and are like, "I'm so sorry, it was my fault." "No, no, [i]I[/i] was to blame." "... Are you gellin'?" "Yeah, I'm gellin'." ... Yeah, they're for those Dr. Scholl's gel insert things. (I actually have some!)

The funny part is when someone stuck in a car behind them yells out, "Move it along!!" And they're like, "He's [i]so[/i] not gellin'."

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkblue]I hate commercials period. Sure they advertise stuff, but alot of comercials are on too much. I don't buy alot of stuff and I don't really pay attention to commercials. But a thing that really bugs me is that they have about 10 minutes of commercials right in the middle of the shows. >_< Sure commercials are nice to have when you need to go to the bathroom and gather snacks and stuff, but can't it wait?!
I wish our commercials ran the same way as they do in Germany, they show the whole show and then they have about 10 minutes of commercials in between shows. So that way you can see the whole show first![/COLOR][/SIZE]

They do that in Germany? Hm, i guess people there are getting tired of it by now, and want our way of doing commercials.

Has anyone ever noticed that when a station runs commercials about themselves, that the show is about to come on. I noticed that a while ago, and wondered if anyone else saw that. Maybe I watch too much tv.

• 4 weeks later...
It's really annoying when a tv channel such as TNT shows a movie, but like every five minutes or so there's a commerical. By then I would be like forget it. You can't even enjoy the movie that way. Commercials can be really funny or they can be just plain stupid, but they all get stupid after they're played a hundred times.

Yep, I've gotten commercials timed in my brain. Like Radaghast said, the channel advertises themselves before the show, and I always get to the chanel just as that commercial is ending. It's scary sometimes with how good I am timing commercials. I love the Buddy Lee commercials. "Come on, Buddy Lee, let's make like a tree and go" LOL! I've come to a conclusion that if on a commercial, they advertise a product to but for $19.95, it won't work! Get's me on my next subject, I hate with a passion the commercial for Marvin's Magic Drawing Board! I wanted to cause myself serious pain whenever that commercial came on! Ahhh...! I can still see. The Blo Marker commercial! I hate it! Stop the horror! To many bad memories. *twitching uncontrollably

Yeah, I hat 'em too. They should go somewhere and never come back! That's what I say! RRRRRRRR! Though I must admit a couple might be interesting, but I hate it when shows have long boring commercial breaks. It annoys the %#&* out of me!