OtakuBoards

Rules at School

Fate

[color=teal]Rules at school are necessary, I know that. There are some new rules this year, however, that throw me for a loop.

For example:

Boys with super-cute spikey hair last year can't spike it very high this year, because apparently it's a "distraction." Same goes with the spikey-haired girls.

Another:

Students are to wear nametags for identification, including a picture and signature on our cards. Ridiculous? Yes.

And Another:

Students are not allowed to leave at lunch in a car unless a parent has signed a form. Once that form is completed, verification must ensue, which then the school calls the parents.

Some things I just find a little weird, but this is downright stupid. I'm a junior in high school, and I still have to ask permission to go to the Kar-Mart down the street from a teacher.

Maybe I complain too much.[/color]

[color=deeppink]Nah, my high school had lots of silly rules, too. But it's not like I actually [i]followed[/i] all of them...

There's only one rule about our college that I have complaints about, and it has something to do with this place called "Check Out", which is something that I'm sure none of you have idea clue about.

Basically, Check Out is where all of the film students check out their fancy film or digital video cameras, and where the photojournalism students can check out lenses, strobes, lighting, etc. It's basically a giant toy store for the film/photography dorks [like myself] that attend my schoo.

Well recently Check Out added another policy to their many layers of rules: [b]Equipment must be reserved one day in advance.[/b] I really hate this rule because as a photojournalist, you don't always KNOW what day you're shooting, or when you might need a different lens in an emergency. Furthermore, it totally discourages me from checking out the 16-35mm lens that I ADORE because I honestly don't know exactly when I'll be shooting something.

It's not a big deal for the film students because they have scheduled shooting dates and everything. But for us, it really sucks. And that's the one rule I hate about our school.[/color]

[size=1]
[QUOTE]Boys with super-cute spikey hair last year can't spike it very high this year, because apparently it's a "distraction." Same goes with the spikey-haired girls. [/QUOTE]

This seems a little ridiculous to me. I think that everyone should be able to express themselves freely, research here shows that it doesn't affect someones learning if their classmates have spikey hair, piercings ect. I don't see the logic in that one, if anything, individuality builds Morale.

[QUOTE]
Students are to wear nametags for identification, including a picture and signature on our cards. Ridiculous? Yes.[/QUOTE]

I had to wear a badge like that at my teritary provider, it's just basically for securtiy reasons and is perfectly in reason. This way, the faculty can see who's a student of the school and who's there just to cause trouble, or just plain not supposed to be there.

[QUOTE]
Students are not allowed to leave at lunch in a car unless a parent has signed a form. Once that form is completed, verification must ensue, which then the school calls the parents.[/QUOTE]

Once again, this is for security purposes, while you are at their school facility, they are responsible for your well being. If you are "signed out" when leaving for lunch, then this releases them from the liability for your safety and well being if something should happen to you outside of school.

[QUOTE]Some things I just find a little weird, but this is downright stupid. I'm a junior in high school, and I still have to ask permission to go to the Kar-Mart down the street from a teacher.
[/QUOTE]

Same reasons as above, they're only lookign out for those they will have a liability to. As for the latter though, I think the teacher trusts you to go down to the K-Mart, so by giving you permission, she would take on any liabilities rather than the school as a whole, the last three are really about pre caution. [/size]

School rules, heh. I can understand some, like Shinji and Fate said. Here are a few at my school that are down right stupid.

Let us start with dress code.
I support the no-midriff rule, and I understand the two-inch-strap-on-the-tanktop rule. But we can't wear straps on our pants,
[color=orange] (buh-buy, cool orange suspenders)[/color] wear wallet chains, have colorful hair [color=orange] (dangit no orange/red tipped hair either)[/color] have piercing other than the ears. [color=orange] (and I was going to get a nose ring),[/color]or shirts with bands and/or slogans.

Also, our building is under construction, so they've made a new few rules. Us NHS members are no longer allowed to roam the hallways, or have our own homehoom. [color=orange] heh don't get me started on that![/color] Also we can't eat AT ALL out side of the cafeteria because,"We don't want to stain the new floors."
[color=orange] um...we don't HAVE new floors...[/color]

:therock:

[size=1] Pfft. You're complaining about not being able to go to a K-Mart down the street during lunch? You're complaining too much.

My school is extremely uptight, and from the day my school was created, all of those rules you stated were installed into the Rule Book. [except for the nametags. That's actually kind of [i]too[/i] secure. =_=] [/size]

All students are to wear their picture ID's at ALL times or you have to buy a temporary one. If you eventually reach five days of no ID you get a detention and a call home.

We're not allowed to wear big pants or wigs.

You cannot wear open toe or backless shoes, unless it has some sort of heal.

No capris or shorts (mind you I live in Florida).

You can only go to the bathroom twice a semester.

Young female teachers are not allowed to wear jeans. (I mean this, only the young female teachers aren't)

No "innaproprate" kissing, embracing or hand holding during school or school sponsored events.

There's much more, and there are even some that aren't wtitten down in the student code of conduct, like for example the wig one. The truth is the administrator in the school just likes to pick on random ppl. I'm sure there are a lot of stupid rules out there, but when you just take them out of your *** to screw over other ppl is just ridiculous.

Guest Anime_Forever
Name tag and picture? You gotta be kidding me! Thats rediculus. If i were you I would SUE SUE SUE!!!!! The spikey hair thing is normal and the lunch thing is a bit over the edge but understandable but GOOD FREAKIN LORD!!!!!!!!!

[color=darkred][size=1][b]Heres one I HATE![/b]

They dont serve Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwitchs just because some kid in our grade is illergic(sp) to Peanuts, I hate that! It was my favorite lunch -__- Ever since that all I been eating for lunch is Nacho chips with a Soda... I miss me PBJ's

Also you cant have food out of Commons(Cafitera) And somtimes I get really really hungrey...[/color][/size]

Well, my rules are the basic rules of a school. The one I hate the most that they put in this year was [b]No CD Players allowed on the bus.[/B] 'Tis one thing I do not understand. If we don't have them in class, what's the big deal.

Our school doesn't really have a dress-code, nobody dresses like a gothic-punk with spiked bracelets. I don't see any people at our school like that but other people have all black and chained pants, but nobody really cares much about that. I don't mind, if we had a dress-code, it wouldn't bother me much. I dress in shirt that have stuff that say [B]How To Win At Video Games[/B] or just anime shirts, and jeans. That's about it.

You can't sue for having to wear a name tag. Give me a break.

Lots of schools do this now. It lets them keep track of things, especially in a world where so many people show up to schools that shouldn't be there. Plus if you do something stupid, you can't lie about who you are, I guess.

I had to wear a shirt, tie, dress shoes and slacks. No weird hair cuts, no dyed hair, no wallet chains or jewelry or really anything else. I don't know what most of you can even ***** about by comparison. That's only the start of it.

It's school, not clown college.

[color=009966]Nametags in middle school? o0; I can understand it in elementary, but not in any higher grades....

There's one rule at our school that just aggravates me: all shirts MUST be tucked in. I guess it's because they don't want someone bending over and having their underwear showing or something, which I don't have to worry about since most of my shirts are T-shirts that go a few inches below the pockets of my pants. So instead of tucking my shirt in, I wear a jacket around my waist. None of my teachers has a problem with this except for this one old dude named Dr. Boyd. He's not even my teacher though, for crying out loud! He has lunchroom duty, and everytime I go in there, he sends me to the bathroom to tuck it in. I've learned to avoid him though....heh[/color]

I can understand the part with the hair being a problem. The same thing happened in the high school across town from the one I went to (until 'bout two years ago). There was a person that had his hair in a two-foot tall, spiked mohawk. The teachers made him cut it down a bit.

I.D.? Not really any big deal. Our school had rules that required students to carry ID at all times. Since they were more of a "Just in case" type of rules most people ignored them. Althougth ID was required at school dances.

The signed permission to leave campus is just to keep the school's *** out of the frying pan. I think they are legally responcable for the students on campus. If they leave and something happens the school can get sued. My old high school no longer lets anyone leave campus this year (which angers my sister). I would think that could be a problem for some businesses along the road (like the comic shops) who actaully have customers walk from the campus.

[size=1]I think my school is pretty lax on its rules. I mean, everyone breaks them if one were to go by the word, but so many people do it so it is pointless to try and crack down on [i]every single person[/i]. It is only those who outright break them that get in trouble.

For a comparison, it is like when driving nearly everyone is speeding to some extent. It is just never much of a problem because everyone is just going as fast as the next person. It is simply those who are excessively speeding that get busted.

Though, one time a kid from our school newspaper walked in with a beer bong over his shoulders (it was needed for a graphic) right by the security desk and did not even get stopped, lol.[/size]

I suppose that the name-tag is acceptable. Signing out is absolutely fine, I mean, they are responsible for your well-being during school hours, but the spiked hair one... A distraction? People who find a person with spiked hair distracting need to get a life. Or teachers could use their initiative (providing they have any) and move the students [i]in front[/i] of the students with spiked hair. Serioisly, that rule is pretty stupid. IMO. At my school, we really don't have any bad rules. We don't have a uniform policy, but there is a no midriff rule, which doesn't bother me, seeing as I am a guy.. Well, doesn't bother me in the terms of [i]me[/i] getting dressed.... :p

I'm shocked at some of your dress codes!

I mean, we're not that strict as far as wearing what you want goes, except mid-riff shirts and the width of your tank top straps, wich we call the "three finger rule" (stop laughing you perverts!)

But we are allowed to wear band name shirts, color our hair any shade of the rainbow and spike it three inches off your head if you please. I even saw a kid with fangs the other day...

I suppose our school wants us to have our individuality, seeing as how it's a small school and such. Yet there has been talk of uniforms.....

as far as leaving school for lunch, we have a Mcdonalds right accross the street (great marketing huh?) Yet you're not allowed to go anywhere else. And you need to be a senior or have 11.0+ credits to leave.

such lunacy, but I'm not complaining.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by anatema [/i]
[B]All students are to wear their picture ID's at ALL times or you have to buy a temporary one. If you eventually reach five days of no ID you get a detention and a call home. [/B][/QUOTE]
This one does seem a little ridiculous, but they have to know who belongs on campus or not so it's understandable. My school requires that as well. But i almost never wear it anyway. ^-^

We're not allowed to wear big pants or wigs. [/B][/QUOTE]

Why would you not be allowed to wear wigs? This is one of those rules that if it was pushed, would cause a big stir. Say, for example, someone was going through radiation therapy will attending school. The school not allowing them to wear a wig could cause mental anguish.

You cannot wear open toe or backless shoes, unless it has some sort of heel.
[/B][/QUOTE]

This one comes from the flip flop rule. It's a safety violation to wear them since you could trip or fall on stairs or in hallways.
If it's open toe and has a heel someone can't step on the back and trip you.

The rule i find ridiculous is the cell phone rule. We are in high school old enough for cars, relationships and can't have a damn cell?
But someone always messes it up and thats how rules get made.
The boys who can't spike their hair did it too high so they pushed it.
And the dumb preppie kids couldn't turn off the cell in high school.
What the hell! I had me cell for two years before they made the rule and my phone NEVER rang in class. I had sense to turn it off.
What could possibly be so important they had to have it on?
It's called voicemail.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]You can't sue for having to wear a name tag. Give me a break.

Lots of schools do this now. It lets them keep track of things, especially in a world where so many people show up to schools that shouldn't be there. Plus if you do something stupid, you can't lie about who you are, I guess.

I had to wear a shirt, tie, dress shoes and slacks. No weird hair cuts, no dyed hair, no wallet chains or jewelry or really anything else. I don't know what most of you can even ***** about by comparison. That's only the start of it.

It's school, not clown college. [/B][/QUOTE]

*Gasps* Someone who went through the same thing as me?! :p

You go to school to get an education. It is not a fashion show. I usually find that people who complain about the rules are the ones who broke them, inadvertently or not.

well, my school has it so if somone comes up to you, and punches you, [I]both[/I] of you get in trouble, and suspended, even if you dont punch back.....
so, i figure that if somone hits you, you may as well hit back, because your going to get in trouble if you do or dont

At my school, we got the ID for free. If you lost it, you had to pay for another one. I lost mine, but didn't feel like paying for it. I still had the holder.

So I just drew a new one. I colored it in and drew some blonde kid in the picture box. No one noticed for months. All my friends knew, but none of the teachers seemed to notice.

Finally, one day the Dean, who was teaching my English class temporarily since my last teacher went insane, called me to the front. He looked at it and laughed. I never got in trouble for it. I guess since I'm so clever.

I don't know why you're complaining about name badges, schools everywhere require that, as do many places of business, it is security and it's preparing you for the world, especially if you want to work in software companies, or computer companies.

[color=deeppink]Some of you can't wear [b]flip flops[/b]?! I would simply die! ::sticks tongue out at Tony::

I guess my high school didn't have rules that were as close to ridiculous as some of yours'. Tucked in shirts? No open-toed/backless shoes? And the most random one ever; no wigs...? I'm assuming they had a wig incident once, and they are therefore making a rule so that it's a RULE the next time something like that happens. Strangeness ^_^

Oh, and Semjaza, you are definitely clever in that ID ordeal. It's something like $25 to get a replacement ID here, so I'll keep your little trick in mind, hehehe ^_~[/color]