OtakuBoards

X-Men Evolution

Manic Webb

Despite its decent character development and new twist on a classic group of heroes, this animated series receives a lot of criticism for not following the original comic book. That's always bothered me, because I know that if X-Men Evolution were made into a comic book first, it'd be no different from Ultimate X-Men (in the sense that it's a complete re-telling. The stories are completely different), which nobody seems to have a problem with.

I like this show. You get to see different sides of each character. Some characters are given a completely new image, which still seems to work for them. The X-Men and Brotherhood aren't shown as complete opposites. There are times in the show where they've gotten along, particularly when Magneto replaced Mystique's original Brotherhood (Avalanche, Toad, Blob, Scarlet Witch) with his New Brotherhood (Pyro, Gambit, Colossus, Sabertooth).

On top of that, the animation quality for this show is really up there for a TV series. The action sequences are smooth and the character designs are pretty good.

What are your opinions of X-Men Evolution?

I enjoy the show. I don't care if it's close tot he comic books because the comics can have some of the dumbest most confusing plots ever. I don't know what to think with the new Apocolypse thing, [spoiler]they already had him blow up magneto[/spoiler] and made him look pretty much invincible so they better come up with a good explanation and not something like "oh we found this magical wand and it banishes him hurr"

X-men Evolution is an ok show. I like how they twisted some of the characters around, and made them cooler.

A good example of this would be Scarlet Witch, in the comic she was just some red head with a funny hat thing, while on the show she's a goth, punk chick.

But I do think they screwed up Apocolypse's design. He just looks like something out of Yu Gi Oh.

So, yeah its a good show, but it's not as good as the old X-men cartoon, from the 90's.

Growing up watching the original XMen show, I have to favor that one in spite of XEvo. To me, it seems geared more towards children and their Highschool drama than the older series had. Not only that, they failed to recapture the "epic" feeling the first series had.

Actually, ever since their powers were exposed and everybody at school started treating them differently, the show's been pulling a little bit more toward conflicts with Magneto and Apocalypse. In fact, I don't think they showed the high school at all in the 3rd season. It was all "Magneto betrays his own team" and "we found Apocalypse's tomb"

So far, this season has taken on a much more serious tone than ever before, with Rogue killing Mystique and Magneto blackmailing Colossus into working for him.

The show may have started out with a bunch of teens trying to get a date and throw a party in the mansion while the adults are away, but now it's more like the X-Men... give or take a few made-up plot lines.

What! [spoiler]Rogue kills mystique???[/spoiler] I didn't know that. Manic!!

I really like Evo, although to tell you the truth I didn't when I first started watching it. I think they've done the characters really well, especially with rogue, taking away all her super strength and flight abilities, it makes it more plausable. I like the interaction with the characters and the way they've done Kurt and Rogue is great. Though if you watch Gundam Wing before hand and then you watch Evo it get's really weird since Quatre's voice actor is Kurt, Trowa's voice actor, Kirby Morrow, is Scott, Duo's actor, Scott M'cneill is Logan and I think Zechs is in there somewhere lol.

The thing that made me most happy is [spoiler]when they introduced gambit. If he and rogue don't get together there is going to be hell on.[/spoiler]

I love X-Men:Evolution.I like it even more than the 90s cartoon.Granted,I wasn't a die-hard viewer of the 90s cartoon,but I still think that Evo is better.The art is modern and sleek,something that the X-Men deserved.I like the way,especially,that Scott's beams are done.They arn't just red lines.The visuals are awesome.I think that they should've made it more adult,however.They're greatly limited in character design and plot with it being a kids' show.I suppose that would just make it a slightly different Ultimate X-Men,though. . .Anyway,I haven't been able to watch it in a very long time.I think the last time I saw it,Apocalypse had just been released,with the show ending as Apocalypse's tomb opening.I can never figure out when the show's going to come on.In it's early days,it was on at like 7:30--sometimes.One week it was 10,another it was 8.And everytime I'd scramble to the TV,they'd be playing the same episode--Power Surge.That's the only episode name I know,because they played it so much. . .Anyway,I think Evo's great.I mean,it's fantastic what they did with Rogue and the Scarlet Witch.I am a little irked about Shadowcat's character though. . .She'd always been super intelligent and stuff. . .Now she's kinda. . .airy-fairy,with the word "like" in every other breath.
Besides,that,though the idea of taking all our favorite heroes and casting them with the problem of highschool acceptance *and* the utter destruction of the world all at the same time. . ..genius.
By the way. . .Does anyone know if Evan was a real character in the comics. . .?I'm almost positive that he wasn't(I can't recall there ever being a mention of Orroro having a sister.. .),but it still bugs me because I don't know for sure.. .

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by doukeshi03 [/i]
[B] I think they've done the characters really well, especially with rogue, taking away all her super strength and flight abilities, it makes it more plausable. [/spoiler] [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, they didn't really take them away, they just never came to the point when she aquired them; which is why I liked the 90's cartoon better becuase they acctually talked about how Rogue gained her flight and super strength; she stole them from Ms. Marvel.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SadClown [/i]
[B]Well, they didn't really take them away, they just never came to the point when she aquired them; which is why I liked the 90's cartoon better becuase they acctually talked about how Rogue gained her flight and super strength; she stole them from Ms. Marvel. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, which is why she's continually got that voice in her head as described in the comics and tv series. Yeah, like the movie, I think it's better that she not have that and instead rely on her actual power.

Of course I love the 90's ver of X-men {gotta respect the classics } but I like X-men Evo is better it's more deep. Example with Wolverine you really never known were his past was in the 90's but in X-men evo you really find out he is as old as he looks, and he fought with Capitan America in World war 2, and the love triangle with Cyclops, Jean, and Worlverine to me was'nt all that {mabye because I was about 6} but the Rouge, Mystique, Nightcrawler thing seems to be way better , but the most thing about the 90's version is they were all adults and control of there powers. Now there teenagers having to juggle a normal life a secret life and learn to control thier gifts.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by yogi bear [/i]
[B]Of course I love the 90's ver of X-men {gotta respect the classics } but I like X-men Evo is better it's more deep. [/b][/quote]
The 90's X-men is a lot more deep than Evolution. I guess you just don't remember that well.

[quote]Example with Wolverine you really never known were his past was in the 90's but in X-men evo you really find out he is as old as he looks, and he fought with Capitan America in World war 2, and the love triangle with Cyclops, Jean, and Worlverine to me was'nt all that {mabye because I was about 6}[/quote]
Alright well first of all Logan never did fight with Captain America, and in the 90's one they did show a lot of past actually. A lot more than they did in Evolution.

[color=red][size=1][font=arial]Evolution is interesting and fun to watch, despite the descrepancies between series and comic.

There are nice little things thrown into the series for the hardcore fans, though. One episode which kicked off the Apocalypse storyline fetaured a mission with X-Men Cyclops, Jean Greay, and Beast, new student Iceman, and following ally Angel (the original 5 X-Men in the comics).

If i have one complaint though, its the changes in costumes and character designs. I [b]hate[/b] how Apocalypse looks in the series, resembling an Egyptian. It just doesn't feel right.

--Chris[/color][/size][/font]

[QUOTE]
Alright well first of all Logan never did fight with Captain America, and in the 90's one they did show a lot of past actually. A lot more than they did in Evolution. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well. . .actually. . .Logan did fight with Cap,and in the exact period that Evo depicts.I didn't watch the 90s 'toon too much,so I can't say about that,but the Evo 'toon is pretty good at alternating the continuity,but also keeping it the same--which sounds strange,I know,but it's true.I thought the Logan/Cap episode was pretty cool...I like the way they did it,w/ Logan 'n' Cap saving Lensherr and all.I think most all of the episodes are done beautifully. . .except for Power Surge. . I will forever hold a grudge against that episode. . .

Wow, it makes me feel a little dated at how well I remember the 90's show, but then again, i DO remember the exact day when it came out; they had an hour long special. Anyway, the 90's version did have the episode with Capt. America during WWII. They also talked about Logan's past with Yuriko *Lady Deathstrike* in Japan when she was featured in the show.

The 90's show also had the best arc of them all; the one where Apocolypse captured Xavier and all the psychics. That has to be my all time fav.

X-Men Evolution is so very flawed. They mixed up so many differnt generation in one show example:Showcat, Wolverine, and Storm are all thrid generation X-Men yet they fight with the originals Jean, Beast, Iceman, and Cyclops. Even wosre they screw up people's age they have Storm being older then Scott while in reality Scott is older then storm. What have they done to Rogue in both the movie and X-Men evolution(I don't think they have any aspect of her draining Mrs. Marvels in the near future). The overal plot is quite interesting but they could have stuck a little closer to the comics.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Silent [/i]
[B]Well. . .actually. . .Logan did fight with Cap,and in the exact period that Evo depicts. [/B][/QUOTE]
I dont' remember reading that in a comic or even hearing about it ever. You sure he did fight with Captain America?

[color=red][size=1][font=arial]90s show was still not comic book continuity. If he did, I won't be surprised, but I don't remember it being mentioned. When Cap would have been fighting, I believe he was undergoing Weapon X treatments.

For everyone that does not like Apocalypse's Egyptian look he eventually enhaces himself. {SPOILER 90'S VERSION } Apocalypse was the very first mutant ever he's super strong, he can last without food or water for weeks and no one from Eygpt could kill him so they locked him up eventually Mystiquefree's him and teams up with him then he recruits more mutants and enhance thier powers they become the 4 Horsemen.{including the angel he becomes the leader Arch Angel} after Mystique free's him he enhaces himself to the cool looking blue guy. then the X-men try and stop him with no use they can't touch him so they retreat later a dude named Cabel come and tell the X-men that Apocalypse takes over the world in the future and he tells he has a weak spot on him that can weaken him [thats all I looked up on Apocalyspe I could find out if they even killed him]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by yogi bear [/i]
[B]For everyone that does not like Apocalypse's Egyptian look he eventually enhaces himself. {SPOILER 90'S VERSION } Apocalypse was the very first mutant ever he's super strong, he can last without food or water for weeks and no one from Eygpt could kill him so they locked him up eventually Mystiquefree's him and teams up with him then he recruits more mutants and enhance thier powers they become the 4 Horsemen.{including the angel he becomes the leader Arch Angel} after Mystique free's him he enhaces himself to the cool looking blue guy. then the X-men try and stop him with no use they can't touch him so they retreat later a dude named Cabel come and tell the X-men that Apocalypse takes over the world in the future and he tells he has a weak spot on him that can weaken him [thats all I looked up on Apocalyspe I could find out if they even killed him] [/B][/QUOTE]
They never do kill him. Well they do but it's a couple of thousand years in the future, and this is excluding the Age of Apocolypse.

[quote]90s show was still not comic book continuity. If he did, I won't be surprised, but I don't remember it being mentioned. When Cap would have been fighting, I believe he was undergoing Weapon X treatments.[/quote]
That's basically what I was thinking.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Silent [/i]
[B]I am a little irked about Shadowcat's character though. . .She'd always been super intelligent and stuff. . .Now she's kinda. . .airy-fairy,with the word "like" in every other breath.[/B][/QUOTE]
They made her one of those "smart ditzes." Shadowcat may talk like she's an airhead, but she acts pretty intelligently.

[quote][b]By the way. . .Does anyone know if Evan was a real character in the comics. . .?I'm almost positive that he wasn't(I can't recall there ever being a mention of Orroro having a sister.. .),but it still bugs me because I don't know for sure.. . [/B][/QUOTE]
I remember reading an X-Men Encyclopedia, and there's a similar character named The Spike in one of the X-teams (not the X-Men), but he's not related to Storm as far as I know.

I believe Spike was just a character created for the show. Much like Morph, in the original X-men cartoon, only not as cool.

To me, Spike is just a rip off of Marrow. She was of the Morlocks, who later joined the X-men, and is so much cooler.

But that's my opinion.:D

[color=red][size=1][font=arial]Actually, after seeing [spoiler]Spike leave the X-Men to join the Morlocks in the wake of his uncontrollable mutation[/spoiler], I kinda wonder if Spike is meant to be an amalgamation of Marrow and Maggot, both new X-Men who pretty much disappeared after the "The Twelve" storyarc (I saw Maggot because I don't see much Celia Reyes in him, and they had to get his culture/backgroundf from of the two, powers from Marrow to create the character).

A link I found:
[url]http://psy35.1accesshost.com/xmens-z/spike.html[/url]

Ladies and gentlement, we have Spikeage! From what I can see, Spyke in X-Men Evolution is based off of a mutant named The Spike (I thought I'd heard that somewhere) who appeared in X-Force comics from issues #121-128. I haven't found anything about The Spike being related to Ororo Munroe, so I guess his relation to Storm was just made-up for Evolution.