OtakuBoards

Your Favorite RPG

Stuart

You've got that right; I loved Skies of Arcadia. It's been quite a while since I've played it, since I originally experienced it on the DreamCast, but I instantly loved it. I don't understand how people could compare it to Grandia II. Fundamentally, there was [i]no[/i] comparison. SOA is probably a more sound game than Final Fantasy X.

The characters all interact splendidly and it's very touching. The plot isn't bogged down by bothersome love triangles. You play as a few kids on the cusp of adulthood exploring the world and making a mark for themselves. The themes of friendship and fun are refreshing.

The visuals are lush. To be sure, the game isn't pushing a record number of polygons--but the sheer scope is incredible. It must bee seen to be believed.

Skies of Arcadia definitely has a home in my favorite RPG list. It's much better than crap like Earthbound! lol

Other than that, I enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic, the Suikoden series, and some of the Final Fantasy games. The orginal Wild Arms also brings back wonderful memories.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Charles [/i]
[B]Skies of Arcadia definitely has a home in my favorite RPG list. It's much better than crap like Earthbound! lol [/B][/QUOTE]

Since we both know you have no experience with that game, I'll leave that comment alone lol. But considering the types of RPGs you seem to be into, I think you'd enjoy it. Great game.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Charles [/i]
[B]Other than that, I enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic, the Suikoden series, and some of the Final Fantasy games. The orginal Wild Arms also brings back wonderful memories.[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know if you were aware of this, but they're actually remaking the original Wild Arms on PS2. I think it's called Wild Arms Code F or something like that. It's looking pretty good.

No. I hadn't heard of that. But, thanks for telling me. As long as Sony's definition of "remake" doesn't relate to converting the gameplay mechanics into a Wild Arms 3 reminiscent catastrophe, I'll be pleased. The horrific world map system comes to mind immediately. Otherwise, they're going into this with a terrific cast of villains and an above average storyline. Woohoo.

Other than that, the Earthbound comment was only meant to rib you. ^_^;;

I probably would enjoy it seeing as how I was able to give strange things like Secret of Evermore (sp) a chance. heh

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shinmaru [/i]
[B]Heh, don't you wish :p

I [i]was[/i] a Sephiroth follower until I finally realized how flat of a character he really is. Sure, he's a psychotic badass but he doesn't have anything to offer other than that.

Kefka, however, is much more devious and believable (in terms of personality) than Sephiroth. He's a egotistical maniac who's not afraid to pull some dirty tactics to get what he wants. Do you think Sephiroth would've thought to poison a river to kill the inhabitants? No, he would've just cast Meteor and blown the thing up, the idiot :p [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry, Shin, but I've gotta do this.

Kefka is a flat character. The very definition of "flat character" is one who is a cliche...a stock character...an exaggeration. Think of the Clown from Shakespeare. He's put in there for the sole purpose of making people laugh. He has no depth or fullness to him. He is there simply for the sake of being there and acts as such. He makes a fool of himself the entire time--wait...fool...another term for Shakespeare's Clown was..."Fool." Yep. Stock character.

Not saying that Sephiroth isn't flat, but he's [i]less flat[/i]. He shows a more sincere emotion and doesn't resort to yelling and shouting and generally making a fool of himself. He's not a cliche to the extent of Kefka. Kefka is a caricature. Sephiroth shows depth through restraint.

But anywho,

I've since drifted away from RPGs, but when I did play them...

I recall Super Mario RPG. That was a fun game. My timing sucked trying to get Freebie attacks and such, but SMRPG combined two of my then favorite gaming tendencies: RPG and Super Mario Bros. How could I go wrong with it? I loved the humor about it, too. The characters were nuts, Bowser especially. Peach's frying pan had to have been the funniest weapon ever. Just seeing the enemy reactions to getting beaten in the head with it. Priceless. :) As I recall, most of Peach's weapons were hilarious.

Final Fantasy 7. Great game. Spent hours upon hours playing it during my Soph year of high school. The scope of the game was remarkable. 3 disc, 70+ hours, epic storyline. Great stuff. The Chocobo raising and quest to get KOTR were games in themselves, and I loved Golden Saucer. I spent entire nights just playing the games-within-a-game.

Final Fantasy 6. This was one of the last RPGs I played, simply because I started lacking the time required to play them. It was a really fun game, had some memorable moments (finding Gogo was my fav ^_^), and the battle commands rocked. Attacking wasn't a chore like in other RPGs; attacking was actually entertaining.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PoisonTongue [/i]
[B]Sorry, Shin, but I've gotta do this.

Kefka is a flat character. The very definition of "flat character" is one who is a cliche...a stock character...an exaggeration. Think of the Clown from Shakespeare. He's put in there for the sole purpose of making people laugh. He has no depth or fullness to him. He is there simply for the sake of being there and acts as such. He makes a fool of himself the entire time--wait...fool...another term for Shakespeare's Clown was..."Fool." Yep. Stock character.

Not saying that Sephiroth isn't flat, but he's [i]less flat[/i]. He shows a more sincere emotion and doesn't resort to yelling and shouting and generally making a fool of himself. He's not a cliche to the extent of Kefka. Kefka is a caricature. Sephiroth shows depth through restraint.

But anywho,

I've since drifted away from RPGs, but when I did play them...

I recall Super Mario RPG. That was a fun game. My timing sucked trying to get Freebie attacks and such, but SMRPG combined two of my then favorite gaming tendencies: RPG and Super Mario Bros. How could I go wrong with it? I loved the humor about it, too. The characters were nuts, Bowser especially. Peach's frying pan had to have been the funniest weapon ever. Just seeing the enemy reactions to getting beaten in the head with it. Priceless. :) As I recall, most of Peach's weapons were hilarious.

Final Fantasy 7. Great game. Spent hours upon hours playing it during my Soph year of high school. The scope of the game was remarkable. 3 disc, 70+ hours, epic storyline. Great stuff. The Chocobo raising and quest to get KOTR were games in themselves, and I loved Golden Saucer. I spent entire nights just playing the games-within-a-game.

Final Fantasy 6. This was one of the last RPGs I played, simply because I started lacking the time required to play them. It was a really fun game, had some memorable moments (finding Gogo was my fav ^_^), and the battle commands rocked. Attacking wasn't a chore like in other RPGs; attacking was actually entertaining. [/B][/QUOTE]

*shrugs* No need to apologize; you have your opinion and I have mine ^_^ I just thought that Kefka was sort of a fresh take on the typical RPG villain. He didn't become ultra-powerful until later in the game and had to resort to trickery and backstabbing to achieve his goals. He wasn't some moody, ultra-powerful badass and that's why I enjoyed his character so much.

Super Mario RPG...I had so much fun playing this game even though it was a bit short (for an RPG) and really easy (and this was when I was no great shakes at video games, heh). I loved how Square fleshed out the characters a bit more (especially Bowser...you gotta love him in this game) and really gave them some personality. The story was hilarious, I loved all the little Nintendo references sprinkled throughout the game and the battle system was deep enough to hold my interest.

Final Fantasy 7 is another good RPG. It's quite amazing how Square manages to take a seemingly simple story and make it very complex (the number of people who still haven't figured the story out amazes me o_O). The battle system was decent enough to keep me playing and all the minigames were great ways to spend your time (who doesn't like gambling on Chocobos :D). I still go back and play this game every once in a while and I've beaten it about seven times now. So, I think it's safe to say that I enjoy the game ~_^

[color=skyblue]I'm a big RPG fan. I've only been into them for a few years, but there are a few I've played that really stand out.:) -

Top 3(in no particular order)

[b]The Legend of Dragoon[/b]
I'm currently playing this game(I'm on the 3rd disk). It gets mixed reviews, some people hate it while some love it. I admit it does have some drawbacks, like the translation can be sort of poor in places and it started out kind of slow, but other than that, I like it.;) It is underrated.

[b]Xenosaga[/b]
I love this game. It has some of the greatest music I've heard in an RPG, along with an interesting story. A lot of people are bothered by the large amounts of cutscenes, but personally, I like them.

[b]Final Fantasy 7[/b]
Man, I was OBSESSED with this game for a while.:D I just love everything about it. The story, the characters, the music. Everything. It may not have outstanding graphics by today's standards, but they are not bad considering it was made in 1997.

There are other good ones I've played, but those are my overall favorites.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
I have a top 3:

1) Lunar:Silver Star Story = From the story to the characters, I fell in love with this game when it arrived for the Sega CD. I still have it, the original SEGA CD game, with case and instructions, ja, even the little foam piece to protect the cd!

2) Final Fantasy 5 (I guess it's 5, well, it was #2 on US) = This one was the first RPG I played when It arrived for SNES on 1992. I loved the story, the characters, the plot twists that it had [spoiler]( Golbez and Cecil, brothers???)[/spoiler]

3) Final Fantasy 7 for PSX = What I loved and still love about this game is the fact that it was a breakthrough when it arrived for a next generation console at that time. It marked the leap of Squaresoft and the FF franchise from Nintendo to Sony. The graphics were beautiful as well as the backgrounds, the music, being digital, was also good, and the characters were just adorable. Not to mention that I almost cried when [spoiler]Sephiroth killed Aeris[/spoiler] *typing as tear rolls down from eye*.

Well, there you have my top 3 RPG's. I love many many other RPG's, but those are the ones that, to me, marked an episode in my gaming life, and I remember them everytime I play a new RPG or hear about past ones.

[color=indigo]I added [s[i][/i]poiler] tags. In the future, please remember to use them whenever you talk about a big spoiler. :) (And by the way, FFII on the SNES is FFIV). - Desbreko[/color]

I am a huge RPG fan. The maiden voyage for me was Final Fantasy VI, which was definitely among the A-list for favorite RPGs of all time.

The characters of FF VI were so engrossing, and you got to know every single one of them (depending on how many sidequests you did) from Locke's lost love, to Shadow's lost past, everything came together on the Falcon, and these diverse people were able to topple a madman, who represented a corporate and oppressive empire. It's always nice to see those guys get theirs.

Although I love FF VI, the culmination of my gaming experience would have to be Xenogears. That game, quite simply, blew my mind. The religious, corporate, and character symbolism and irony completely blew me away. The end boss is the [spoiler] "god" of your world, and his minions are Seraphs.[/spoiler]. The love story of Fei and Elly, [spoiler] spanning so many generations[/spoiler] makes everything worth it.

Gotta love threads like these. It allows us crusty old RPGers to relate our old RPGs, and new RPGers to put in their ideas for the new wave. It's good stuff

• 2 weeks later...
Dragon Warrior 7 didn't look so hot, but it still managed to make it over here. And that was when Enix was still on its own with a struggling US office. The game didn't sell to poorly either... well over 150,000 copies (I don't know the official number, but Enix was very happy with it. It exceeded expectations), which is nothing compared to something like FF here, but it's not bad for a game of its type. It's very comparable in sales with most other RPGs

The various Game Boy versions have sold rather well too.

DW4 didn't make it over because Heartbeat (the company that made the game for Enix -- all DQ games are outsourced) broke up or something like that. Their developers were required to actually get into the game and apply the English text to it. So basically, it wasn't possible for them to.

Now that Enix of America itself is now a much bigger and better Square Enix of America, I have much higher hopes that I used to. DQ5 is actually looking pretty good too. It's fully 3D now, but still retains the classic look. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd say its quite hard to decide which RPG to pick as my favorite but if I really had to pick one it would probably be Final Fantasy VII (7) because i think the story is quite great and the gameplay is awesome. The only FFs I had played are 4, 7, 8, 9 and 10. If I played the other ones i don know if it would have changed my opinion, but for now I would say FF7 is the best RPG i played, and hopefully FF7 Advent Children comes out soon!

My all time favourites are ff8 , and vagrant story ( if you see it as an rpg ) .
Here's why : FF8 has an incredible combat system plus the complex and deep story and characters , everything is good and intresting , from the Seifer Vs Squall conflict , to the Fujin and Raijin dillema .
Vagrant story is also good because of mystery , the story line is completly shrouded by mystery
Asim , but call me ( the frost duke )

• 3 weeks later...
Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Ah....*drools* Those are the best RPGs ever.
For one thing, the GS games actually user the full potential of the GameBoy Advance. The graphics are nothing short of amazing, the plot is like black hole (meaning you get sucked in), and the music is just spectacular. I mean, they used a real symphony for the music, and that's totally spiffy. ^^
I was reading about Golden Sun and The Lost Age last night at a site called Lumurian Moon. They had this section on Camelot (the makers of GS and TLA), so I checked it out. Browsing through the text, I came across this:

[i]And for Golden Sun? Out of the 700+ games on GBA, how many are 128M instead of 64M or even 32M?
Less than 10 games.
Golden Sun: The Lost Age just happens to be one of the first three games that hit 128M.[/i]

Interesting, neh?
Okay, to wrap this up, Golden Sun is definetly an awesome game. If the GBA had "Greatist Hits", I wouldn't be surprised if Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age were on it.

Guest Zankouken
Star Ocean for the PSone. The battle system is by far the best and most enjoyable I've played. The control over your character's fate and multiple endings make it the most entertaining RPG I've EVER played.

[color=indigo]Hmm, would you mind giving a little more detail in your posts? Your reasons are good, but it'd be nice if you could tell about the battle system and stuff like that. I've always heard Star Ocean is good, but not a whole lot of specific details about it's good qualities. Thanks. ^_^[/color]

Guest Zankouken
Well, since you're so interested in knowing... it's battle system is in real time. I always found real time battles more exciting then those turn-based ones. It's kinda like those action RPGs, but the battles are random, ala final fantasy. In battle you control a party member out of five(?) and you move around the screen attacking enemies or performing techs (special attacks) on those poor little wimps. All the while, a mage could be casting a powerful spell in the back lines while you hold them off. Battles could be pretty hectic, and stratigic, which is why I think it's great.

Not only that, you're pretty much in control of the party and it's members. You choose who you want and who you want to be with. There may be different love interests and you get to choose who to be with depending on the actions you take. You can even pair up two members of your group. The main plot of the story is basically the same, but the ending differs depending on your actions. As I recall, there are over 80 endings.

I'm pretty sure I missed a lot, but if you want, I'll think of more reasons why I like this game so much.

• 2 weeks later...
[color=indigo]ScirosDarkblade, if you want to reply to these types of threads, you need to tell some reasons why your favorites are what they are and give some details. Only giving a list of your favorite RPGs won't do, I'm afraid, since a simple list is considered spam on account of it being short and not serving much point.[/color]

Guest Inuyasha7575
My fav. RPG has to be Kingdom Hearts I love the characters and the plot the storyline is great and so is the action I can't wait for KH2 they say there are going to be new characters and some from the first KH will know be playable once the game comes out I heard either winter 2004 or January 2005,but I can't wait that long Japan gets it first though since its made there about a month earlier than the U.S. gets it.