OtakuBoards

Your Favorite RPG

Stuart

[color=gray][size=1]Well I know the rule about Favorite threads, but I though I could get some disscussion from this kinda topic...

What is the One RPG in your life that you just love with.. Thats always like on your mind.. and when you think RPG its the first game that pops into your head.. Ya know what I mean? Your so into it that your writting fan fics or make a RP out of it. Ok well maybe not like that ^_^

The best RPG I have ever played I would have to say is [b]Final Fantasy 7[/b]. Everything about this game.. The Story, the charcters, the backgroud.. and the gameplay all are just awesome. Sephiroth is just about the coolest bad guy ever.. I had this game for the computer but half-way through it started messing up so I threw it away... But just a couple months ago I ordered it offline for the PS2... Thats just about how much I love this game

So... all you RPG fans.. tell my your opinon on your favorite RPG ^_~[/color][/size]

Dragon Warriors Monster........yes that maybe all that I say.

Will......the reason I like Dragon Warriors Monster may be the reason you get a trio of three monsters,more then Pokemon,on the field to battle one or three other monsters.I liked that it had tronaments,having to do things to get to a monster world,and could breed.The battle system was just Pokemon with three monsters,but I never thought it was a rip off of Pokemon,and much better then it.It looked better than Pokemon blue and red,and it had a story.

So Dragon Warriors Monster is one of my favorite RPGs.

Well, looks like The (Sic) Shape has the same opinion as me. Final Fantasy 6 was the best RPG I have ever played. It was the first Final Fantasy game I ever played. If it wasn't for the great characters and awesome story line, I wouldn't have ever played another FF game. I loved the esper magic system, and Kefka was a great villian. Not to mention his laugh, which will eternally be stuck in my head.

I have a top three:

1. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, because it has an excellent story, its has great cut scenes and a great plot. And the english translation and seiyuu cast was jusr perfect.

2. Xenogears: awsome anime style. great story, great mechs. lovable characters (especially Bart) and jsut an all around great game.

3.Pokemon: don't hae me, but this was the most addictive game i ever played and i still enjoy giving a go for about three days and beating it. Its just something thats hard to get bored of. I like to get a certan Pk and raise it to perfection and only use that pokemon in battle. I owe my RPG fix to pokemon.

I have umm....

Phantasy Star Online-Maybe not a 'traditional' RPG, but still fills the application, and I love that game very much, the online competition/cooperation, very fun!
Skies of Arcadia Legends-Final Fantasy may keep with the traditional style of the older RPG's, even though the 3D levels and other technological advances, but SOAL is my absolute favorite single-player RPG, I had more fun playing that than I've had playing any other RPG
Phantasy Star(series)-Back when RPG's were fairly new for video games, the PS, FF, and DM series were the kings, and I love my king as much as any other FF/DM [i]pawn[/i]..i mean fan ;) loves their games..

I absolutely love Star Ocean 2. I beat it a year ago and I'm still playing it. I like it because of It's diverse story line, dealing with Expel, which is almost like a medievil type place with The federation, which is like a futuristic goverment. The elements combine so perfectly, you just can't go wrong. Also the skills system is perfect. You can cook your own food(with ingredients) Or make your own weapons or even illegaly copy a certificate. The characters are also diverse and different and there is an ending for every character or pair of characters, different for each one. Well, that about wraps it up :)

I think Final Fantasy 6 was the best one, with lots of individuality w/ everyone's specific talents, but also customization with the espers and relics. If there's one thing that bothers me in FF7, 8, and X it's the practically utter customizability. You can just swap magic and abilities and it doesn't really matter who you bring with you. Anywhoo FF7 is my favorite however, I enjoyed it a lot more than FF6, and that was awesome. I think it had a better balance of story and dungeon, not to mention the best limit break system (freakishly easy to do in 8, and extremely rare in 9). Other rpgs I've loved and can play 50 billion times over again are Star Ocean 2, Suikoden 2, FF Tactics (close enough to an rpg), mario rpg, hmm...and Xenogears, heh I don't mind all the text the story was awesome.

For somebody who's become obsessive compulsive over RPGs in the past year or two, I have very few games of the genre. Curse the plague amongst the games of Nintendo. There's, like, 4 traditional role playing games on Gamecube. Now, Game Boy Advance is better with it. They have Lunar, Fire Emblem (Well, they will soon enough) and other things, but my favorite RPG of all time must be probably Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age.

As if the series wasn't fun enough the first time through with Isaac, Garet, Mia and Ivan, the characters seemed to be more complex and deep in Lost Age. The psynergy was also much more dynamic, and the extra Djinn and classes gave the game I guess what you could call replay value.. Or just a large amount of gameplay time, with all the different Psynergy and team combinations you can try out.

Oh, and also the graphics are really nice for Game Boy Advance too, I guess you could say.

I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes one of those classic games that quite a few people have fond memories of ten years from now.. Well, at least I know I will.

My favorite is Legend of The Dragoon. This game is wonderfully made and the graphics are amazing when compared to of the some other Playstation 1 games out at the time. This games characters are very interesting and unique. Each one has a different Dragoon Sprite with completely different powers. The plot is excellent; though at times it is a little confusing. The game is full of twists and turns that are completely unexpected. If you haven't played it I strongly recommend dusting off the old Playstation ad getting this game. You will be addicted to it until you beat it which is very hard to. It took me 7 months; my longest time ever playing a game.

well my favourite RPG is Star ocean 2 because you actually have a choice of what characters you want to take along in your story.(so you can choose not to take one you don't like) along with the chance to make you characters friendlier with each other.

anyway my list is as follows:

1) Star Ocean 2
2) Final Fantasy VII
3) Final Fantasy VIII
4) Breath of Fire IV
5) Jade Cocoon

[color=darkblue][size=1][i]My all time favorites are Xenosaga, Final Fantasy X, and Kingdom Hearts. Why you might ask. Well all these games have the best storylines I have ever seen.

Like Kingdom Hearts the stroy line is awsome. Then the Idea to combine disney and Final Fantasy together was an awsome Idea. Then the creation of the Keyblades, and so on and so forth.

Final Fantasy had a good story line as well. I also like the gameplay alot. Like the sphere grid it was awsome. It kept you hooked, because you were always trying to fill up the grid.(Although I never did)

Then Xenosaga of what I have played it is pretty good so far. The stroyline is good as well. The battle system is a little confusing at first, but you get used to it. Some of the combo's you can do are cool though. The only problem that I see about this game is. That the bosses are extrememly hard. You have to really train in this. I think thats a way to keep you playing and to get more hours on the game.

Well im done hope this helps in the discussion.[/color][/size][/i]

My favorite RPG that I've played (because there are a ton of really great ones that I haven't played) is Final Fantasy VI.

Definitely the best of the FFs I've played - the story is phenonmenal, the characters are well rounded, and the fighting system is top-notch and doesn't get boring. More often than not, I find myself getting bored with all the fighting in Final Fantasy, because I don't like the battle system. Not so, with FFVI - the different abilities of each character make for a nifty battle system.

Plus, Kefka is cool. Come on, you know he's crazier than Sephiroth. Admit it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shinmaru [/i]
[B]Plus, Kefka is cool. Come on, you know he's crazier than Sephiroth. Admit it. [/B][/QUOTE]

We got into this before. Don't even bother. It was basically me and a couple other Kefka fans versus the world lol.

My favorite RPGs are numerous, none are from Square. They are in no particular order.

Persona 2 - This is probably my all time favorite and definitely the best on the PSX. It was released in fairly limited supply here by Atlus, so it's not too easy to find anymore.

Persona is an offshoot of the Megami Tensei series, which is quite popular in Japan. It generally deals with aspects of religion such as demons and so on. In Megami Tensei, you had the choice of being good or bad. The final boss was generally God, and you had a choice of what to do with him.

Persona isn't like that, although it does concentrate heavily on demons and the supernatural. It's aimed at older audiences because of these ubjects.

The original Persona was fun, but severely flawed. Persona 2 takes care of all of these problems, but it's still an RPG aimed more at the hardcore player. The weapon traits, spell learning, combo system, tactical placement, demon conversation and card creation elements all lift it above more other RPGs.

Earthbound - I know that most people will give this little chance just because the battles are in first person... but it's probably the most out right fun RPG I've ever played.

The translation is excellent, and at the time, was probably the best one ever. It's still up there right now, although some games have finally equaled it.

Just really quirky, weird and fun. I just wish it was a bit longer.

Dragon Warrior 3/4 - I can never choose between these two. Both are excellent RPGs. 4 has far more story and development than 3 does, mostly because 3 lets you create your own characters.

Dragon Warrior is old school, even now. I doubt many people would be fond of it since it focuses mostly on dungeons and leveling up. I grew up on this series though, so I still love it.

If you're interested, check out the excellent DW3 on Gameboy Color.

There are more. I'll post them later.

See, so many RPGs I've never been able to play. 'Tis why I was a bit reluctant to post in this topic. I never played Persona because that was when I couldn't really afford games and my dad bought them all for me. I don't think my dad would've been too into Persona lol.

Earthbound...gah, SNES games were really, really expensive. Though Earthbound was actually a bargain because I think it came with the official Nintendo strategy guide. I'm sure Semjaza can confirm whether or not that's true, but I'm fairly sure it did.

Dragon Warrior was always cool. I've had the opportunity to play the first one, but I haven't been able to pick up any of the others in the series (not even DWVII). That princess from the first one was really, really weird. When I talk over AIM with a friend of mine from another message board, she always seems to be brought up in some way or another lol.

I've also never been able to play FFIV, Chrono Trigger (sacrilege!) and both of the Lunar games.

And if it's us against the world, Semjaza, then so be it :p

• 3 weeks later...
My favorite is, hands down, Secret of Mana. Why? I just like the way it plays. I prefer real-time battles over turn-based combat, so that's a plus. There's good weapon variety, the puzzles are actually solvable without a guide(unlike some games I've played), some great boss battles, and some truely funny moments, too(you get shot out of a cannon as a means of travel, which I find quite funny). If you haven't played this game, then give it a try(if you can get your hands on it, which will probably be difficult, as it's an SNES game). I can't wait to play Sword of Mana for GBA.

Hey, come on, I'm the one who told you Kefka was crazier, Shin *sticks out tongue*

Erm, anyway...I'm not such a hardcore gamer as most people so I haven't played too many RPGs. Three of my favorites, however, have always been Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, and Super Mario Brothers RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

All of them had wonderful story lines and plots, great and unforgettable characters, and graphics that stood out stupendously at the time in which they were made.

Since my brain is limited in gaming knowledge, I'll stop here before I hurt myself O.o

I've bought Final Fantasy Tactics for my Gameboy Advance SP and I think its extremly good because of the battle system and the amount of mission you do plus the characters. I've played it the first time 6 years ago when it first appeared on the Playstation. So those who own a Gameboy Adavance, its a must!;)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Half_Shaded [/i]
[B]Hey, come on, I'm the one who told you Kefka was crazier, Shin *sticks out tongue* [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh, don't you wish :p

I [i]was[/i] a Sephiroth follower until I finally realized how flat of a character he really is. Sure, he's a psychotic badass but he doesn't have anything to offer other than that.

Kefka, however, is much more devious and believable (in terms of personality) than Sephiroth. He's a egotistical maniac who's not afraid to pull some dirty tactics to get what he wants. Do you think Sephiroth would've thought to poison a river to kill the inhabitants? No, he would've just cast Meteor and blown the thing up, the idiot :p

Final Fantasy 6...it started everything for me...the storyline...all the characters and sidequests...it got me addicted to the Final Fantasy series...it was a very enjoyable experience...especially since it was for the Super NES...although it was called Final Fantasy 3...either way...it was my first RPG...and it had something that every successful game has...high fun factor and entertainment value...

Final Fantasy Tactics
why? because it's probbaly one of the best tactcal RPGs ever made. it's definitly better than it's sequel simply because it requires strategy as opposed to luck. in FFTA if you mess up a move you can take it back and move somewhere else, in FFT if you mess up you need to figure out another way to save your self, also magic ALWAYS hit, but it required a charge time so you had to figure out whether or not the enemy would move. there were male and female units and each one was better at certain jobs, males had higher HP and PA whereas females had higher MP and MA, so using a female as a knight would be less efficient than using her as say a wizard. the zodiac system worked well also, if you had neutral affinity then you would deal normal damage and have the normal accuracy, if you had good or great affinity the damage and accuracy would be higher, and with a bad or terrible affinity the damage and accuracy is lower. the job system was better too, rather than mastering abilities you gained JP(job points) and once you've gained a certain amount the job level of what ever job you are went up. getting new jobs required you to get other jobs up to diffrent levels. it had a very good story and challenging battles. and it may not seem like much but you can move the camera around unlike in FFTA. FFT is a strategy game and FFTA is nowhere near as based around strategy.

I'd have to go with the game that got the addiction burning in me Chrono Trigger. I made fun of my little brother for playing this game (silly rpg's) but after he went to bed I decided to try it out and was still playing the next morning when he got up.:laugh: It was the first game that had characters I actually wanted to remember with pasts I wished to explore. Combined with its awesome battle system (gotta love the techs) with various attacks and multiple character attacks it was the game that started me on more then just the basic platform and fighter type games.

My second choice would be Skies Of Arcadia it was a true change of pace from the the rpg's I had played at the time and though it had an overbundance of random battles it had a great storyline and fun characters to add to your party. It's only bad point was it was released on the DC so many people never got the chance to play it or even hear of it but there is some hope since it was re-released on the NGC that some more people actually get to play it but I truly wish they would have released it on more systems.

Coming in third will be Suikoden III another complete change of pace for me with so many differences to what I'd played at the time. The storyline left me in awe you could see it from three to four different view points played in whatever order you desired (well almost). The multitude of playable characters is what really made it shine though so many different choices and background adventures recruiting them or even just meeting them at first made it one of my favorites.

My fourth and final game on this list will be FFIX though FFVII was the first game I played in this series IX will always be my favorite. It contained a very enjoyable story for me trying to make it through the play at the begining was a joy itself no matter what the outcome ended up. The graphics were beautiful and the cut scenes just blew me away to me it will always be the FF before the tedium of voice actors and loss of the super deformed character.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ben Holiday [/i]
[B]My second choice would be Skies Of Arcadia it was a true change of pace from the the rpg's I had played at the time and though it had an overbundance of random battles it had a great storyline and fun characters to add to your party. It's only bad point was it was released on the DC so many people never got the chance to play it or even hear of it but there is some hope since it was re-released on the NGC that some more people actually get to play it but I truly wish they would have released it on more systems. [/B][/QUOTE]

Listen to him. Seriously one of the best RPGs I've ever played. It's such a change of pace in terms of character development from what RPGs tend to go for these days. It has an innocence about it, despite getting rather dark quite often.

The DC version is pretty moot at this point, but if you have a GC go get Skies of Arcadia Legends now (it's like $10 on Best Buy's site last I saw). Just a really awesome game that adds upon the original and improves a lot of the problems.

The sequences leading up to the ending are just some amazing stuff.