OtakuBoards

Star Wars!@

PloKoonDS

Alright, First thread I ever started, and I dont think it's gonna get very far. But heck, why not, right? Any who...

Alright, the topic is Star Wars. Do you like it? Do you hate it? And if you are a "hard core" fan of the story (like me) and know what the story was SUPPOSED to be, what do you think of the story as Lucas has (totally screwed) it as it is now?

~Plo

P.S. - And on the off chance that a Trekky will come to this thread and dare say that Star Trek is better, I encourage them to come explain there opinion so I may shoot them down :devil:

He screwed it up mostly because he has really terrible ideas interspersed with the good ones. Now, thanks to his past success, he has so many Yes Men around him that he gets to do his "real vision" which apparently means not making the new ones consistent with the older ones. Mitochlorians? Come on.

Back on Empire Strikes Back, he had this one guy on his *** all the time (whose name escapes me). That's why it turned out like it did. The guy told Lucas what was a good idea and what wasn't, to actually make it a serious film. If it wasn't for him, there'd probably be dancing muppets in that movie as well. In Jedi, this same guy wanted to kill off Han Solo and basically have Luke be alone for the rest of his life. Of course, the movie instead ends with a Ewok party.

On top of that, the actors actually told Lucas when they didn't think things would work or that they didn't want to do some of the dialogue he came up with (he admits he is a very poor dialogue writer). He had people keeping him in check. He doesn't have that anymore. Really, the originals didn't exactly have wonderful writing as it is, but the actors made up for it. Only a handful do in the new ones.

I like A New Hope and Return of the Jedi. I love Empire Strikes Back. I hate Phantom Menace. I can tolerate Attack of the Clones. That about covers it.

For the most part, Semjaza is right. But Lucas didnt direct or write a script for either "Empire" or "Return". He kinda just gave those two to others to direct, only provided the overall plot line they where supposed to follow. And that is another reason why those are the most prefered and favorites over the others. Because they didnt have Lucas to screw most of it up >.>

The over all consept is Lucas' story. But in the end, it's more of the author's who continue to progress the story. And since lucas prints those books himself, he allows them. But Lucas totally screwed the story from what it was originally supposed to be. Episode 2 was a joke, that wasn't the clone wars. That was a whole bunch of Jedi looking lame because Lucas was letting them get told by a handful of droids. Wth was up with that? Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan ripped through the droids on the battleship in Episode 1, and they continued to do on the planet surface and through out theed. Then Episode 2 comes around and 70% of the Jedi who went to Geonosis get told. Again, I say wth was up with that?

Any who, yeah. Lucas has re-written the story from what it was originally, that he himself wrote. If he screws up Episode 3.... oh, there will be heck to pay.

~Plo

P.S. - And Transtic, you can screw up your own idea. For example, if I made the wheel, and once that got really popular and everyone liked it, decided to turn it into an oval/egg shape, that would be screwing up my own idea.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PloKoonDS [/i]
[B]
P.S. - And Transtic, you can screw up your own idea. For example, if I made the wheel, and once that got really popular and everyone liked it, decided to turn it into an oval/egg shape, that would be screwing up my own idea. [/B][/QUOTE]

No. It would still be YOUR idea for it to be an oval. Granted, it wouldn't work quite as well as the circle, your idea would still come to fruition. Others may not like it as much, but it would ultimately be your responsobility that the circle is now an egg-shape. A perfect analogy between the first and second trilogies.

Alright folks, I've had a passion for star wars since I was five. My real last name is Fett. I've read every future-set book, watched every special I could, etc. Star Wars is great, an epic tale. Sure, it could have been better (It's far better in the books to those who have read them), but starwars claims a position no other movie could. Don't ask me what position it claims....

As for the prequels, well, the fight scenes were great, the ships were shiny an sleek, armies were sprawling over planets in massive war, and jedi were incredibly skilled. There was a problem, in this. To me, it seemed as if the technology shown in prequels 40-50 years PREVIOUS to AnH was somehow BETTER than the tech in the origional trilogy? Put luke and vader's lighsaber fights up against Obi Wan's fight with Darth Maul.... somehow some of vader's menace was lost, and luke's valiant effort dimmed. I wish Lucas didn't try to create a story based around the "make everything faster, slicker, cooler" mentality of almost every pre-pubescent boy in America. It's too bad he failed, in my opinon, in that respect.

Ahh and one minor fluke for all the starwars gods like myself on otakuboards. Did you notice in Eps 2, it was pretty much declared that the Geonosians had created the plans for the Death Star?? Anyone who's read books like Darksaber, or the X-Wing trilogy know the death star was created by Bevel Lhemelisk, and to a lesser extent Qwi Xux! ARGH. To me, this made me absolutely angry at Lucas. Didn't he care about the people who read the books published after his first trilogy? He gave them a license to write certain things (i.e what happens at a certain planet, who can die, etc). Without post-starwars novels, Lucas wouldn't have material like Coruscant. I'm so very angry at his lack of regard for that portion of his fan community.

That's about it.
-drix

[COLOR=green]Being the local Star Wars God, whose ego seems to grow larger by the day, I welcome you to OtakuBoards.

I also feel Lucas has made some mistakes with Star Wars, but every good Sci-Fi series has flaws...

I am not particularly disturbed by the appearance of the Death Star plans in Episode II, or by the various other errors that have been made. All in all, the saga flows extremely well. It interlocks on every level, multiple ways.

I've been interested in Star Wars since about third grade, when the special edition was released. I read the children's books, the graduated on to the rest of the Expanded Universe. Eventually I read every Star Wars book released, and own all but seven. I began to collect the comic books, action figures, micro machines, computer games, board games, computer fonts, and even costume items.

I am a hardcore fan in almost every sense of the word, which I let the rest of the world know. It's always interesting to see people's reactions when I tell them that I spend most of my spare time playing Star Wars Galaxies.

In closing, the only thing I have to say is ouch. Ouch because my pride and joy has fallen by the wayside. There used to be a thread here by the name of Star Wars 411, which was created after my introduction thread was closed, apparently because it was off topic. Recently, I haven't seen much interest in it.

Oh well, this looks like a new beginning...[/COLOR]

Heh, I'm a huge Star Wars fan.

Empire Strikes back is, and probably always will be, my favorite of the films, followed closely by A New Hope. In fact, the first trilogy was very, very good; all three films were fantastic.

The Phantom Menace...not so much. The acting seemed really stiff to me and it didn't seem they were putting any effort into it at all. The fight scenes were really good and the movie looked fantastic, but great fight scenes and good looking scenes do not make a great movie (see The Matrix: Reloaded).

Attack of the Clones was even worse, in my opinion, because the dialogue was pretty cliche and all weirded out. Especially Anakin's "romance" lines to Queen Amidala. Bleh, even [i]I[/i] wouldn't resort to lines like that.

I've read several of the books, as well...in fact, I love many of the books even more than the actual movies (be sure to check out Timothy Zahn's books - fantastic work). My favorite of the books would have to be the one I've read most recently, Vision of the Future. So much stuff surprised me in that book, it was unbelievable. Very cool book.

I am a Star Wars fan in a Family of Star Wars freaks... I really Loved the first three movies, especially 2 and 3, but the prequels?? no, no, no, no, NOOOOO!!! I don't like them at all. I really think that the romance between Anakin and Amidalah was horribly written and Natalie portman (one of my fav. young actresses, check out The Professional) and the kid who played Anakin, I don't remember his name, mostly by choice, had NO CHEMISTRY!!! not to mention I can not picture that whiny post-pubescent cocky kid growing into Darth Vader, a sinister, well-developed villain wh is a bad***. It's just not convincing, and while I am glad Leo Dicapprio didn't get the role, it could have been better cast. After Ep. 2, though, I thought that being whiney might be a heredutary trait for Skywalker males, luke was not well mannered either...

I liked the first 3 movies and "The Phantom Menace." However,"The Attack of the Clones" in my opinion dragged out a little to long and those lame romance lines could have deffianitly used a rewrite. I'm almost afraid to see what's gonna' be going on in Episode 3 when it's eventually released in theateres.

Star Wars is alright. I like the The Empire Strikes back the most. I've read most of books and find them quite entertaining. The new movies are very good also. I didn't like the the the attack of the clones( couldn't they just replace his arm like they did Lukes hand.)

Whats the next movie gonna be called?