OtakuBoards

anime magazines

TheGodlyME

Does anybody else read anime magazines. There's so many that there has to be others. Which ones do you read/have read, and which do you think are the best.

I read the Newtype magazine and I just today got one called Anime Play. The former is a huge text magazine, and the latter is a small 50pg book with the rest of the content on a dvd(I havn't watched the dvd yet, but the small magazine looks pretty cool).

Well I subscribe to Animerica Magazine, and every now and then I buy an issue of Newtype.

Personally, I like Newtype the best, mainly because it has more info, and a dvd.
But Animerica is organized better.:D

Those two, are the only Anime magazines I've seen for sale.

Most of them are ridiculously overpriced that I never bother... especially for subscriptions. It's like you save nothing over the cover price.

I bought one issues of Animerica, since I thought it was a bit less expensive... but I can't say I was really all that impressed with it.

My friend gets NewType, so I just mooch off of him when he brings it to school. Like SA said, the magazine is very expensive, hence the reason why I didn't buy it in the first place. It is a really good magazine, though, what with anime news, TV listings, articles, manga, and a DVD. If I had the money, I'd get it for sure.

I get NewType and the only reason I could afford the subscription is because I lied to my dad and said I needed it for school :rolleyes: Supposedly, my sister's supposed to get me AnimePlay because she hasn't bought me a christmas or birthday present for over 5 years, but that's up to her. For the meantime, I just stick to what I got: NewType ^_^

<_< Lucky bastards, complaining about the price of anime mags... We only got 1 anime mag here (not counting the bootlegs). It's very expensive yeah, but since anime isn't very wellknown here (make that unknown), it's the best way for me to get info on the subject. It's not that good either, and it's in black and white... *sigh* It'll do...

I read Newtype when I can afford it... (see Semjaza's post above) The only thing I don't like about it is the layout. It seems like if they're going to print a magazine right-to-left, they should stick to a manga-style page order. Instead, when you open the front (to yanks: back) cover, you have to go to what would be page two in a manga, and read back to what would be page one. Then flip, read page four, then page three, onto six, five, and etc. It's just annoying...

Oh well. I'll take what I can get... I shouldn't be complaining, I mean as Ratix pointed out, Holland only gets [i]one[/i] magazine! ?_?

I am an anime fan but dont know alot about most of the shows. i watched pokémon a long time ago and recently watched yugioh. now i am a dbz fan. but i dont know too much about the other anime. what would be a good mag to get for anime that i would know anuything about? like i dont want to get a mag and see all these shows and ppl i nver knew haha so what would have alot of dbz in it?

Hm... What anime magazines do we get..?

-Shonen Jump- This one is mine and mine alone.. :sweat: I horde them in my closet.. The articles are always nice and informative (I've learned a good bit of Japanese culture from some of the articles) and, of course, the manga is always superb.

-Anime Insider- My brother got a subscription to this one at the anime con in Anaheim last July. Lucky fool got a cool shirt to come with it as well.. He is gracious enough to let me read it, and I like it quite a bit.. The articles are always well-done and there's lots of humor in there.

*sigh* Sadly, that's all that we have at the moment.

But Newtype.. I've never read any of it, so what is it actually like? Is there manga in it, or is it just a right-to-left magazine kinda like Anime Insider?

Oh, and Xyander, I would reccomend Anime Insider for a good starter anime magazine. It's got a wide variety of shows and comics covered in it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by OtakuSennen [/i]
[B]But Newtype.. I've never read any of it, so what is it actually like? Is there manga in it, or is it just a right-to-left magazine kinda like Anime Insider?[/B][/QUOTE]
NewType is a large right-to-left magazine with many articles as well as reviews on anime, manga, games, and a few movies. They have large contests, a manga sample in the middle, and it comes with an anime DVD in every issue. It's really a great magazine, which is why it costs so much money to subscribe (around $90 for one year).

[size=1][color="666666"]
Which Anime Magazine's Have I bought or read?

[b] Shonen Jump [/b] : This is the first Anime Type magazine I bought. It has great information and the manga is superb.

[b] Anime Invasion [/b] : This the other Anime magazine I buy. It has great information about a number of stuff. Also I believe that it may show some Trigun manga in some issues. [ One I bought did ] Any way I recomend it.
[/color][/size]

[color=indigo]
Sadly, like most people here, I cannot afford to get anime magazines very often. Which is a pity, because I really like reading them. I read Anime Insider whenever I have a spare 5$ and I see it. Which has only been twice- once last JULY, and then again this August. However, my friend buys Newtype and I get to borrow it when he's done, so that's cool. I've never read Animerica, is it good?
[/color]