OtakuBoards

College

Artemis

any fellow seniors here? or maybe some college students who can relate to me... This whole business of applications and scholarships is utter crap!! :cross: Whoever said senior year was supposed to be the most fun must not have really cared about college. You know, I suppose it would help if I knew what I wanted to do with my stupid life. Does anybody else as split as I am on a career? I mean, right now, I'm torn b/t architecture and teaching English or history. I also love writing, but I'm not sure I could make a living off of it. Am I just sounding like a huge nerd? *sighs* That's okay. I'll just go to my corner to cry for a bit before I slit my wrists. (not serious)
~Night Goddess~

I'm not a senior yet. You're looking at the five year plan, here.

Lately, I've really been stressed over career decisions. Choosing what route I'm going to take in shaping my life is difficult to say the least. So, I feel your pain.

Right now, I'm leaning on becoming an English major because I want to write too. Perhaps an editorial job could come of it. Other than that, I'm not entirely sure. Journalism was an interesting course, but my university focused more on reporting than feature writing. It just didn't suit me.

I'm aiming to decide on what I want to do before the second half of the semester.

Good luck to both of us. lol

I'm a junior in college, still torn about my career, so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. At my college at least, there wasn't too much pressure to concretely decide on my major, though I'll admit most architecture majors sort of knew it from the start. You couldn't really apply to be an architecture major until the end of sophomore year, though, so two years in college is still quite a while to figure out what to do. Point is, you have a long, long time to really figure out what you want to do. Many people go to college, come out with a random degree, and figure out what they really want to do years later. You can always go back to school, or to a grad school in something different, so don't get caught up in the myth that you have to know exactly what you want to be when you enter college (I remember I definitely thought that in high school).

Anyway, I personally couldn't decide whether to major in a science or in English (in order to, also, become a writer), so I'm doing both instead. :D

hmmmm....i had a lot of fun in myt senior year. college was something that i thought of alot but things happanin to me didnt allow me to go for long. i went full time for one semester. i knew what i wanted to do back then but now i kinda dont know anymore. there are things that i love like working on cars an stuff but im not sure that i want to make it a full time thing. i guess i need more thinking, which by that way im not real big on but everone else tells me i do too much of when making a decesion an i dont even realize it.

Well it looks like u guys live in the states and i don't know how it is different but in the uk ( i think that your college is our university) u have to apply to uni during the last years of your a levels which i guess is like your high school???

but u apply about December time and then u do your exams in June and c if u get the grades!!!

but when u talk about sponsorship i can agree, i would like to become a army officer (maybe the first officer to serious about anime :D) but to get sponsorship u have to be interviewed by a board of people which i have heard is quite scary!!! But once I have the chance to go to uni sponsorship or not I am hoping to do a engineering course some where :D

*sigh* This whole applying for college thing has got me a bit :drunk: According to the CAP advisor I'm supposed to be done with the whole process of applying and the SATs and ACTs before November, but I definately don't see that happening. On October 11th I take my SATs, I'm currently working on about 8 scholarship essays because my parents have already made it very clear that they are not paying for this, and I still have no [i]real[/i] solid idea as to what school I want to go to. I've got a few cities in mind: Chicago, New York or Boston and some schools in those cities that I like, but you know it all depends on so many things and I'm like ehhhh. . .*sigh*

Im a sophomore, but I've already freaked out about my college expirence about 2 years ago. I plan ( hopefully) to go to NYU and double major in Creative Writing and Journalism.

And for the last 1 and 1/2 I've looked at scholarships, and starting applying for them asap. But I'm a worry wort....So I bet you'll pick a good major that you'll be happy with.

(don't worry, the nerds shall be the ones running the world one day, with the jocks in middle management jobs....muahahahah! Won't it be fun, to pick on the dumb jocks, who thought they were all cool in High School...hehehe... I guess Im kinda conceited... oh well...)

Right now, I'm supposed to be in college overdrive according to the school, but eh. I think they're just trying to scare everyone.

I'm going to be applying to three schools (Cal-Poly Pomona, Cal State Fullerton, and USC) and I already know that I have good enough grades/SAT scores/etc. to get into the first two. I'd rather go to USC but it's really, really expensive. If I can barely scrounge up the money for Soul Calibur II, how am I gonna go to USC, huh?

Anyway, I'd like to major in Journalism. Writing has always interested me more than anything and I believe that getting a journalism related job would be very satisfying for me, especially in the realm of video game journalism.

I talked about this over AIM with James a long time ago (before school started, I think) and he was pretty adamant in telling me that there was a lot of competition involved in become a journalist, but that it's also a good way to break into the industry (as he has accomplished). So, basically, the risk is worth the reward in my case.

I am not too worried about the application process right now. I have all the essentials to be accepted to the college I want (UNT) and I am going to Quad C for the first year and get the basics out of the way anway. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just do the requirement, maintain your grades, and all should work out for the best.

My parents aren't going to be able to help me either :(. I'm going to rely on scholarships, working on campus, grants, the FAFSA, and if I have to, student loans. I'm probably going to go to Grand Valley State University. If I absolutely have to, I'll commute there. I'm going into biochemistry, which I don't think I'll have too much competition in. I am applying tomorrow, and I vastly exceed their requirements, so I'm positive I'll be accepted. I'm not positive how things are going to go, but I know one thing; I'll make it work.

[color=orangered][b][size=1]Blah, I've just done my AS-Levels and my grades weren't that good. I'm tactfully trying to figure out a bunch of resits to do in January (as well as my exams that I have then anyway O_o) I've got six exams in January if my plans don't change too drastically.

But I'm opting for Multimedia Computing. Either that or Computer Science. And guess which idiot took A-Level Maths? One of the hardest exams there is... *sigh* So yeah, I'm kinda worried that I won't make my grades... If only my teachers decided my grades. Exams boards are icky O_o;;

I also have to get my grades because I want to study in America for a semester. Sucks to be me... :([/color][/size][/b]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by anatema [/i]
[B]On October 11th I take my SATs...[/B][/QUOTE] [FONT=arial]Me, too. I think I'm the only one in my whole school who's taking them, ergh. (Small school, and most colleges around here only ask for ACT results.)

I guess I'm looking at studying some kind of foreign language, although I don't know what. *tilts head* I'm to have all my applications in by the end of November, which leaves...not very long. I dunno. [/FONT]

[b]I also have to get my grades because I want to study in America for a semester. Sucks to be me...
[/b]

[FONT=arial]*goes to re-take Baka's friend-test*[/FONT]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Braidless Baka [/i]
[B][color=orangered][b][size=1]Blah, I've just done my AS-Levels and my grades weren't that good. I'm tactfully trying to figure out a bunch of resits to do in January (as well as my exams that I have then anyway O_o) I've got six exams in January if my plans don't change too drastically.

But I'm opting for Multimedia Computing. Either that or Computer Science. And guess which idiot took A-Level Maths? One of the hardest exams there is... *sigh* So yeah, I'm kinda worried that I won't make my grades... If only my teachers decided my grades. Exams boards are icky O_o;;

I also have to get my grades because I want to study in America for a semester. Sucks to be me... :([/color][/size][/b] [/B][/QUOTE]

*hugs Baka tight* awww don't stress, stress is bad, stress is my job ^_~. Yeah I only have to resit my Othello paper so it's not that bad. I just have to figure out which University i want to go, stupid UCAS...I don't really wanna think about if I don't get the grades. Be happy kid...it'll all sort itself out you'll see *hugs again*.

[QUOTE]Whoever said senior year was supposed to be the most fun must not have really cared about college.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=purple]Yeah really!!
I'm a senior too!
And I am so in the same boat!
I have NO idea what I want to do with my life...
I thought about doing something in science but for every major I think I would like, I have no idea what kind of jobs are out there for it!
And I know practically nothing about the colleges in my state.
I just want to go somewhere that's a good school, not too expensive, and not too huge.
I haven't even thought about scholarships and applying yet @_@''
I've really gotta get started...
Its all so stressful!
And scary!
The whole thought of going off to college and starting the rest of my LIFE just terrifies me! Lol
But Terra's post was fairly comforting! so thanks (=
And it's good to know I'm not alone in my Senior lostness!

PS - this was my first post! yay ^_^
Please love tha newbie =D[/COLOR]

I think what started stressing me out the most is that I hang out w/ a lot of the super-overachievers at my school. (We've got a three way tie for valedictorian this year.) I was working on an English project with two of them and several other way up there people, and they spent most of the time going on and on about scholarships and how the counselors were screwing them over rather than helping me do the stupid English project. (that's what you get when you work with smart ppl...) :D

i just started college. i have had three weeks so far, and all i can say is just get those apps done. im not trying to scare anyone, but the sooner you get federal aid ones in like FAFSA ones, the more money you get. well at least supposedly... i know i got quite a bit arranged for me through FAFSA... but had i not gotten my papers in then i wouldnt have gotten the money, and its a whole big circle. and dont worry if you dont know what you want to do, there are pleanty of people who dont yet. my only suggestion in this case (and feel free to ignore it) is you may not want to go to a very expensive school untill you have an idea of what you would like to do. that way you can save some money while you decide. my best friend, who is also in her freshman year of college, is undecided, so i know what you guys are going through, my heart goes out to you all. so good luck in the future to you all. :D

I am only in Year 9 now, but I had a big talk about stuff with my mum today, and I wondered- What is college or university like? Do you board? Is it fun? Hard? I personally am really looking forward to it, viewing it with excitement, but I know it will be hard. Basically, I want your opinions on College or University. Any good/bad experiences. Do you have jobs to earn money? How long do you study? Is it enjoyable?

Basically, all aspects of college or university I want to know about.

I am kind of worried about it, but hey, it is 3 years yet, but I am still interested in learning about it.

A lot of college threads lately, eh?

There are many great things about college. If you like to party, it's the place for you, I suppose. I don't drink or smoke, but there are still lots of things for people to do. The Universities realize that there are all kinds of people attending and they accomodate to that.

There are "dry" buildings for students who don't drink and honors dorms for really smart kids. They have special housing so that you live with a bunch of people with the same major as you and apartments for when you are past your freshman year and choose to live there.

Hey, there is even an anime club here if you want. And if you would like to be in a club they don't already have, just gather a bunch of people that have that same interest and start the official university club for that subject.

Bad experiences? Well, I was at this one girl's apartment where she was having a party and there were way too many people in that tiny place. Let's just say I got beer spilled on me 3 different times. That made really mad. Also, my clothes smelled like smoke.

You can get a work-study job that is either working for the college itself (helping out at a certain place) or a regular job at McDonald's or something. The work-study hours are only around 8 hours a week and you get a paycheck every month.

I haven't really done any studying yet, but they say that you should study twice as many hours a week as you have classes. Sounds like a little much, right? I think so, too.

College is a nice change of pace from high school. As you can see, I'm sitting here typing this while most of you are learning right now. I [i]do[/i] miss home, though. It's a long 2.5 hour drive.