OtakuBoards

School spirit week

Angelus_Necare

We have a "Founder's Day", that apparently celebrates the day the school was founded... or something like that. Anyway, we either come to school in anything other than our school uniform, or don't come at all. Considering you have to also put in a gold coin donation to wear other clothes... :drunk:

[COLOR=GREEN] At my old school, we really got in to spirit week. They had days like color day and dressup day where you dressed up to your class theme. Then on Friday, everyone would be in the gym all day for Spirit Day. But at my current school its way different. This week happens to be spirit week and one of the best things was 80 min lunch periods all week. Today was our only dress down day though. Tomorrow before the game we're having a big party in the school parking lot and a car decorating contest.[/COLOR]

[color=crimson][size=1] *Looks up at temporarily died blue and gold hair* Keh...this week is spirit/homecoming week for me. I can't wait for tommorow's football game; we're going against the all-state champs, and our biggest rivals, the Waubonsie Warriors.

[b][i]Go Wildcats![/b][/i]

*Waves blue and gold Pompoms above head*[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shy [/i]
[B][size=1]If it's just a few random people from the student government who participate then nobody really cares.
-Shy[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

I am still a Junior in high school. I always thought that these spirit weeks were stupid and a waste of time. I never really participated in them much. This last spirit week, there was 60's day. 70's day, 80's day, Class colors' day. I didn't participate at all. Homecoming week is coming in two weeks. I don't quite remember what they were, but I just know that they are stupid. To finally go with Shy said. All the preps and the student government dress up. The punks and goths could care less.
I try to avoid all preppy events like spirit cons and events. Now thanks to my 4th period class, I have to participate in those stupid student government meetings. The meetings are really stupid. The spirit cons are also messed up. They are very boring! Only the preps get fair representation. It is so loud in the gym it gives me a head ache. I am glad they give the choice to skip them because the spirit cons are annoying. I rather spend time with my friends in the cafeteria. In conclusion, the all spirit events, dress ups, cons, and a whole bunch of other stuff is stupid, a waste of time, and money.

• 4 weeks later...
[COLOR=indigo]Our school spirit week is happening right now. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=indigo]Ppl kept telling me "Class Color Day is over!" and since I wear a lot of dark colors, and the senior color is black o_O sometimes there are moments where I would love to introduce my foot to someone's fat yap.

We have an great event (at the end of Spirit Week, this Friday) call Air Guitar. Each grade (including the school faculty) performs a skit/musical to be judged in the school gym. Let's just say it's like American Idol gone wrong, and there's multiple persons participating. It's usually just simply amusing as hell. The winners are generally the seniors or the school staff. Last year the senior class did a James Bond and Men in Tights act, it was great! And couple of years ago the staff did "The Wall."

We also get out early for our high school's Homecoming Parade, but none others in our county get out early. Sucks for them.

And there's a Hall Decorating contest that starts the beginning of the week. We have a hall for each of the grades in our school i.e. freshmen hall, sophomore hall, etc. and they get judged by the end of the week. And UGH!! The freshmen Disney-themed their hall! Good GOD! :wow: as if we NEED that!

I don't give an owl's twinkie about dressing up. Just yesterday my sister cosplayed as Lara Croft and went to school like that (only without the guns, unluckily) just to throw everybody off. It was great. I tried talking her into stuffing a pillow in her shirt, but she said no. So she went to school as a "deflated" Lara Croft.

Last night our school held a big bonfire. It was great. Our school band played some great rock music, too, and during lunch yesterday, one of my friends won a pie-eating contest.

The Spirit Week events at our school are actually pretty fun, as long as you avoid the "School Spirit" crap, you'd have a total field day.[/COLOR]

Spirit Week. Viewed by many as just an excuse to dress up in a costume that would have violated the school dresscode any other week, an excuse to shove pudding into a classmate's face without fear of getting a detention for it, an excuse for setting off stink bombs in frosh hall.

Spirit Week, in my experience, has always been a chance for the school to further cattle-lize the student body. We are herded--literally. they tell you where to go and when, mass you in the halls, and direct you...definitely herding--into the auditorium, whereupon entering, are packed tightly according to (class) size. We are then required to perform parlor tricks in order to stay in good graces with the school admins. If we do not decide to cooperate, we are punished, that is to say, slaughtered.

I was never fond of Pep Rallies, nor Spirit Week. On the rare occasion that I did play dress-up, I did so in a way that was sure to annoy/worry/unsettle people. When asked to participate, I replied, "Why? What would you offer me to make my effort worthwhile? I don't care about those points. Make me a reasonable offer and I'll consider participating." Stuff like that. Mess with the school admins. Don't play their game by their rules.

Frankly, see the point of Spirit Week I did not. Success at a Spirit Day event gave the class what? 10 points? What were those points for? Where did they come from? Who created them?

The answers to those questions are.

The points were for nothing but to make a class feel superior to another.

The points came from an archaic tradition instated some 2500 years ago in ANCIENT ROME. Gladiators, games, etc.

The points were created by rulers as to divide classes and control them.

Not many people dress up at my school this year. When I was a Freshmen it was crazy. We had a day where girls dressed up as guys and guys dressed up as girls(Gender Bender day it was called). Alot of them were really done well too, it was quite scary. I dressed up a few times in the past years, nothing spectacular though. One kid had a full dinosour costume on. o_o

[color=009966]This was the [i]ORIGINAL[/I] lineup for Spirit Week:

[b]Monday:[/b] Twin/Hero Day (Dress either as a twin or your hero. This was pretty cool. (This day was one of my favorites.))
[b]Tuesday:[/b] Opposite Sex/PJ Day (Dress either in your PJs or as the opposite gender)
[b]Wednsday:[/b] Country Day (Either dress in red, white, and blue; come dressed as a redneck; or come in dressed like a cowboy)
[b]Thursday:[/b] Decade Day (Dress in the clothes your decade wore. Freshman were assigned the 1980's, Sophmores had 1950, Juniors had 1960, and Seniors had 1970. (This was my other favorite day, but some people didn't dress to the assigned years, but that made it all the funnier. One girl was dressed up from the 18th century, and another guy was dressed in a toga. He was doing the decade 40 AD. :cross::D:p)
[b]Friday:[/b] Purple and Gold Day (self-explanitory)

But then one of the teachers *cough* Mrs. Alday :shifty:*cough, cough* didn't like the idea of Tuesday's lineup, so she had it changed to Occupation/Tacky Day. Alot of the student body did that, but there were a few here and there (mainly the guys) who dressed oppositely. As for the pajamas, people wore PJs to school no matter what day it was since Dress Code was abolished just for this week only. Starting Monday we have to tuck our shirts in again....>>; Bleh. [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Queen Asuka [/i]
[B][color=hotpink][size=1]And about PJ day, my school had it my Freshman and Sophomore year, but my Junior year, they didn't have it. So TONS of students signed a petition to have PJ day, but they still didn't approve it. So one of the days, they wore PJs as their costume. It was a big deal. So my Senior year, they didn't have PJ day again and they said if anyone showed up during any day during spirit week in PJs, they would get sent home. I thought that was a little ridiculous, don't you?
[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=009966]Interesting....Some people dressed in PJs every day of Spirit Week and they weren't sent home. I wonder what changed their minds?

Anyway, tonight's Homecoming, so this should be fun....[/color]

[color=royalblue]I agree with Alex, mostly because all of us know we feel like cattle, but never say very much either way. That and I have a natural aversion to anything that involves our poorly dressed "Spirit Squad" doing their rediculous routines. Nothing personal Jenna, but I'm on the dance team myself and I know lack of talent when I see it.

Some girls are cool, the rest fall right into the hands of common social stereotypes. And not only that, the girls never do cheers, they never wave the pompoms, and nobody's ever thrown and caught until the very very end. Once.

You're telling me I have to miss my last period of the day, which is American Literature and Composition, just to file out onto the sweltering stadium, sit on very hot aluminum benches, and watch some girls do their stupid dances to stupid R&B songs? Sometimes I just make the rally optional. I leave with the water polo guys.[/color]