OtakuBoards

Misfits and Other Fanlistings

Semjaza

Well, I had applied for a fanlisting. Unfortunately I was beaten to it by a matter of days. So now I have this useless website that basically will just sit there and never be seen.

I spent a few hours on it though, so I figured I might as well show it here and get some thoughts on it.

[url]http://www.slownerveaction.org/fanlistings/fiendclub[/url]

The main question is this... Most fanlistings seem to try to make everything as small as possible. Even I did it with this site, I compressed everything into a small area in the center.

Is this fine with people? Is it too small? Should I make a full sized site for any future fanlistings?

So yeah, that and any general opinion. There's a bunch of banners and such on the page marked "codes" ([url]http://www.slownerveaction.org/fanlistings/fiendclub/codes.html[/url]).

Just want general thoughts and ideas on all of this so I can keep them in mind for the next few fanlistings I'm applying for.

It's fun, since I can whip out new layouts in a day's time. Yay!

Edit - Links fixed.

Yeah, I've noticed that (about compressing the site into a small area) for websites as well. I'd say it could be a little bigger, but my resolution is pretty high so that probably has something to do with it. Still, I think keeping it non-full-sized makes sense for fanlistings, since really they don't need too much horizontal space, it's just ... a long list. The compact look seems to work; if it were a full-sized site it seems like there'd be a lot of empty space.

Anyway, I like the layout overall, though I'm not sure what I think of the background (the tiled face). The font is really good, though. The codes are freaky as all hell, but that seems to fit well with the fanlisting. :p I bet yours was better than the other person who applied.

Whenever I make something, I try to convince myself that I should never, ever just put something in because I don't know what else to do with it... but I did that with this. I had the background just black, but it was just too plain. For lack of ideas, I stuffed in their skull logo.

I was thinking that I should probably just make the image more spaced out. It'd look a bit nicer that way... but now that the site isn't going anywhere, I probably won't bother. Maybe later tonight.

Edit - I changed it around some... lol.

I'm working on a Butthole Surfers one as well. I kept this one small, just because... well, just because.

I attached an image of it. I've only been working on it for about 20 minutes, but I think it's looking decent. Their logo always seems to be in Arial.

I can't find a typeface that matches that Weird Revolution text image... If anyone knows what it is, please tell me. I would be very grateful.

We'll see what happens.

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=493906[/IMG]

I have absolutely no idea who either of those bands are but here is my 'review'. I like the background design. I don't think it is repetitive or anything. It just makes it look good. It has a nice top picture through out all the pages. It is set up well, and is neat. Effort has been put into it, but it remains simple and clean. And all the code-link pictures are awesome. All in all, a very good job. 9/10

The butthole surfers one is good. I like that little face thing. it is cool. However I would change the amount of revolution on the images, to make it look like it is turning, because it doesn't look right how you have it. Looks good 8/10

What a shame, the Misfits fanlisting layout you made was awesome. Of all the layouts of yours I've seen, that was my favorite. Such a cool design on it... everything was done excellently.

I know what you mean about the small size thing, it seems especially prevelant with fanlistings. They're also crammed in like a 10x10 pixel box haha... you have to squint just to read the text.

[color=#707875]I like your fan listing. It seems appropriate to me. It's a bit small, yeah...but I don't put you in that "I'm making this small to be uber-cool" crowd.

The overall layout is very well done. It's easy to read/understand and your images are all very nice. ^_^[/color]

I finished my Butthole Surfers listing earlier today.

Same deal. I kept it small, but not as small as the Misfits site. I felt that if I did make a normal sized page, there'd be too much empty space. I'll probably do a full sized page for my Ultimates Fanlisting, which I'm doing next.

There's codes and such on the codes page. Any comments would be nice.

[url]http://www.slownerveaction.org/fanlistings/bhs/[/url]

I am writing these down as I go... you made a spelling mistake on the Homepage, information section. you spelt 'since' as 'sinec'.

[quote]
..... don't. If you didn't, you wouldn't be here. And [U]sinec you[/U] are here, you .......[/quote]

You may want to move the closing thingos... whatever they are called, out from the 'f'.

[quote]......"Sweet Lea[u]f'[/u]......[/quote]

Is there more to this or is 'P' the name...

[quote]....Haines also appeared alongside actor Johnny Depp in P, while Coffey ....[/quote]

I like the codes area. Not as many ones as the Misfits one, but I love the alien that is...zapping...?... something with his eyes. Heh. If you made these all yourself, good work. If you found them, good picking.

The 'Extra' button on the top does not seem to do anything.

Now for the layout. I love it. As mentioned before, I think thatlittle head thing looks really cool. The main part is wider than the Misfits one, and looks good. I am not sure if this is purposely done, but the area is not in the centre of the screen. I like the font and layout of images/text. But this one, contrary to your Misfits fanlisting, has something much needed.....colour! I absolutely love how you have the fading red strip at the top and bottom. It makes it look so much better. I don't know these guys, but I love your fanlisting.

9.5/10

*claps*

I didn't write the article, VH1 did. I didn't bother to proofread it lol. Anything done incorrectly in there isn't my fault, in fact I had to break it up. They apparently don't know what paragraphs are lol. I'm assuming P is the name of that film, although I'm not familiar with it.

The extra area doesn't go anywhere as of yet. I'm debating even keeping it at this point. I just worked it in incase I wanted to add something in the future.

The banners... well I did make them, but obviously the banners are made up of existing images. Mostly band photos and CD covers. I think they turned out well.

I don't think color was really necessary in the Misfits site, and I still feel this one is perhaps a bit to under-colored... but it looks nice. I played around with that red a lot. I wanted to keep it in though, as I thought it helped break the rest of it up.

And no, it's not centered. I didn't want it to be heh.

Thanks for the comments.

Wow, you are a great web designer/coder! Another of the many talents of Sem! Serously though, i love both of these layouts. I was infact thinking of making a Fanlisting but the thing was, i was too crap at web design and coding it wouldn't work out lol. So yeah, well done becuase i know how hard it is! Is that just an iframe you've popped in the middle (or off-center ;)) there? I really do love your layouts, you should make some and sell them or something.

My application for a Ultimates fanlisting was accepted today... so I got to work on it. It's all done, other than one thing. I want to change the image on the join page, but I've not been able to find a decent scan to use there. Shy said he'd help me out a bit later, so I'm hoping.

[url]www.slownerveaction.org/fanlistings/ultimates[/url]

My Butthole Surfers one was also accepted. They should be on tfl.org's list in a few days.

Congratulations on being accepted Sem.

On the first page of the Ultimates the guys head is in front of the girl, but his body is kind of behind. It could be alright, but if you look at it closely it is a bit strange. I like the homepage layout- it is good. Nicely done, nice quality images. I don't like how bright the picture behind the text is, but that is my opinion.

Rules page- not much to say about this. Same brightness problem, it hurts my eyes, but that could have something to do with 4 and a bit computer hours. lol. I think that your rules pages are always the same/similar and get repetive, but aside from us, no-one is checking each one, so it is good, I like your rules.

Codes: I always like your codes, but I really liked your other site ones with the lines across the imaes. Try that on some here. The guy with the... hhhmmm spotlights on his chest is a nice picture.

I would evaluate the join page, but it seems that you blocked the link until you edit the image.

Members page: try to make the '1 Members' font smaller, it is too big and...bulky compared to the rest of your site, by my ideas anyway.

Overall I like this site as well, it is well done and I like the menu bar idea at the top. Good job, once again you have revealed your expertise at webpage design. Another excellent job by you.

*claps* 8.5/10

I have no control over the art. I didn't draw it lol. It seemed obvious to me that he was behind her and leaning over. I don't think it is an odd pose.

I pasted the rules, more or less. Obviously, yes, no one is going to be looking at each and every one... But the main reason is because how different can I possibly make the rules? They're all basic requirements that all fanlistings posts in general lol.

I don't know what you mean by "lines across the images". Do you mean borders? The images have white borders around them, they're just not that obvious because of my background.

Anyway, thanks for the comments otherwise. I'll tweak some things and see what happens.

Edit - I darkened up that white text area box. I think it is a bit easier to read now.

Uuh. The lines across the images.... I think they are called 'blinds' or something? Like the old OB banner. As I said, the image looks kind of strange but could be alright. I have only seen your fanlistings and wristcutters so I wouldn't know, it was just my opinion.

******EDIT******

The text box looks better now. It just helps to block out some of the glare from the suns/light in the picture behind it.

******EDIT******

I think you're referring to scanlines... I've not used those in quite some time, so I am confused. No big deal lol.... but maybe you have an image you can post as an example?

I shrunk down the Members font and I fixed that one link. It worked on all the other pages, just not on the Members page.

Should all be set now. I just need to replace that one black and white image on the join page.

I don't think I did bad for about three hours work lol.

UUh. *is embarassed*

Stupid memory. My bad. Maybe you could try them on some of the images anyway. yeh. Oh well, stupid me. The font looks better now, still large enough to be noticeable, but not so large that it is....wrong.

I like your Join link. It is a shock to go from black to white ;) but it is good. Basic but good.

I laughed at the buttons. "Join" "Don't" Heh. That just amused me.

3 hours? Is that all? I mean, it is quite a bit of time, but the site is so good. Even more impressive now.

I am amazed.

I like the Ultimates page. I have to agree with Baron, though, that the image on the first page looks kind of odd. ... Actually, the more I look at it, the more odd it looks. But hey, if it was just the art, who cares. :p

I was going to comment on how the join picture doesn't fit in with all the other ones, but you're going to fix that anyway, so I just wasted this thirty seconds' worth of typing. Lovely.

EDIT: Why [i]do[/i] people put the "Clear Form" button on pages (though yours is more cleverly named, I suppose)? Just never struck me as too hard to navigate away if I suddenly change my mind. Just a random thought.

The way you put the links (er, I mean the menu bar in "The Ultimates" at the top) is very, very cool. The whole thing has a very clean look, including the codes, which is great.

All right, Tony, you seem to have plenty of time and ideas for wonderful new websites, whereas I have no time nor ideas for my own mediocre new websites. I think you should make me one, since I am so sick of the green on my personal one. :p

Scanlines were fun for awhile, but I have moved away from them. They were overused by a lot of the interweb, to the point that I felt they just became tacky. I avoid using them unless something calls for it... which isn't too often heh.

Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate them. After all, I have to make the site appealing enough for people to want to check it out lol.

I just got a big shock. When I first visited the Join page, it was just plain white with the entrance boxes. That is why I was wondering about the picture you were talking about. But I re-clicked it, and now I am seeing the normal layout Join page.

The picture isn't so bad, but some of the shading makes it look weird, particularly a little white stringy moustache looking part coming off his face o_0. Strange.

I like it though.

Well I can't find another color scan online to replace that. There was actually far more work put into that than it seems... these were all taken from covers, so I had to remove a lot of excess picture information.

I believe that "white stringy thing" you're referring to is just that crease that exists on pretty much anyone's face when they smile or snarl like this guy is... it's between your mouth area and your cheeks, coming out from below the nose.

It's not part of the moustache lol.

I somehow missed Terra's post. I am crazy.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by terra [/i]
[B]EDIT: Why [i]do[/i] people put the "Clear Form" button on pages (though yours is more cleverly named, I suppose)? Just never struck me as too hard to navigate away if I suddenly change my mind. Just a random thought.[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know. The "clear" buttons are always something I click on accident and then lose all that I typed. I HATE it here at OB in the Quick Reply box (where I type 99% of my posts lol). It's more of an intense loathing than a hatred.

I left it as is. The form is a script I downloaded. I edited some things in it, like the sizes and text layouts... but never bothered to remove the clear form button. Honestly, I figured I should remove it from the start heh. I probably will tomorrow.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by terra [/i]
[B]All right, Tony, you seem to have plenty of time and ideas for wonderful new websites, whereas I have no time nor ideas for my own mediocre new websites. I think you should make me one, since I am so sick of the green on my personal one. :p [/B][/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind. You have my AIM name, if you're serious lol

-------------
Baron:

Oh well. Misunderstandings. Thanks for being the person I get to bat this back and forth with. I do appreciate it.

I still have a few more fanlistings in me, so I guess this will be the place. That and the magazine idea and QA's picture site...

Oh my lord!

*is speachless*

Tony, you have far outdone yourself with this one. It is so professional and SHEXY! *ahem*. Seriously, if that had a domain name like [url]www.theultimatesfans.com[/url] or something i would have belived that it was actually made by a professional web designer hired by the makers of The Ultimates! I swear!

Also you have inspired me to atcually try and make a fanlisting (i don't think it will work out lol, but i'll try). It was wierd becuase only a day or two before you started this thread i was considering making a fanlisting but now you have defineted it ^_^.

This is by far your best fanlisting, if the rest of your fanlistings are like that then you will be the most popular in the land!

REJOICE!

*elfs pop out of nowhere and rejoice with Thy Father Teddy Bear Shinobi*

• 2 weeks later...
[url]http://www.slownerveaction.org/fanlistings/vj/[/url]

Here's my newest for Viewtiful Joe. Mostly lots of editing of existing images.

I think I have to darken behind the text. It's a bit too busy to be easily read.\

Edit -- Darkened up some.