OtakuBoards

Whats the best Manga?

Kyo no Ryu

The best manga? Gee I'd have to say:

Kodocha: This has got to be the funniest manga I've ever read! Sana is just hilarious! It also has a serious side too, though, and I really admire the way it blends the romance, humor, and drama together so nicely. ^_^

Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances): This manga is really great. The relationships between the characters are quite touching, but also very funny. Not to mention it also does a great job depicting what a struggle it is to discover your true self amidst the chaos of everyday life. The art is really good too, I love it to pieces.

What can I say? I'm a sucker for romance and humor. (Note: There are many other great mangas, but I just chose my two favorites for the sake of keeping this post short...)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*GRAVITAION* is soo cool the art gets better and better check out vol 7 the art is soo pretty.....shuichi is becoming more and more of a bishie
Yami no Matsuei is also really good, the art is beautiful and muraki is just soo cool!!!
Rurouni kenshin the manga is also really good...i love the Jinchuu arc enishi is soo cool!!!
Anything done by clamp is really good with both the art and *most of the time* the story as well....
I loved inu yasha but its just DRAGGING...somebody tell takahashi-sensei to put down her pen
The funniest manga ive read would be either Excel saga or Kare kano...both are crazy halarious

The quality of the manga can _usually_ be predicted by the expertise of the artist and the size of its fan base. Anything Rumiko Takahashi, Clamp, ect., is probably good, and the amount of hypertensive Ranma 1/2 and X/1999 fans might give you an indication that, of those artists' works, there might be some extra potential within those. (In other words, mainstream generally equals good. Those fans must have _some_sort of point, ne?) From the well-known, it's relatively easy to branch off: i.e. from Gravitation, an extremely popular manga, one might become interested in FAKE and Demon Diary, more obscure mangas with some of the same elements (shounen-ai). That's my theorem, anyway.

Me and my friends are starting librays of mangas...well, it's just me and my other friend Lorenza, but we still have one going.
Luckily for her, she goes to this comic book store about every week, while I'm lucky if I get to Barnes and Noble...with money. XP
One of the series we've come across is Fushigi Yugi. Actually, I read an article in a magazine about it about two years ago, and over the summer I let her read it. And on my birthday, she gave me two mangas: Fushigi Yugi 1: PRIESTESS and G Gundam volume 1. ^^
I absolutly LOVE Fushigi Yugi. I thought it'd be another typical girl-manga: ditzy character, falls in love with a guy who loves her back, etc. Well, the ditzy character part was true. Miaka is pretty ditzy/idiotic/not smart/pig...yeah. But while she falls in love with Tamahome, he doesn't love her the same way back.
I could almost compare this series to Sailor Moon (which Lorenza has a lot of), except I like Fushigi Yugi a lot better. It's totally hilarious ("And...whatever shall I do about [i]underwear[/i]?" [size=1] A true tragedy.[/size]) and nicely developed with a good atmosphere. It's kinda on the brink of being rated T, but not really. The characters hardly ever say hell or damn, and it's in now way extremly bloody or violent, but there's a few things in there that I would never show a kid, such as the almost nudity at certain points (fan service), and the fact that [spoiler]Kang-Lin is really a man who loves Hotohori, aka crossdresser[/spoiler], but it's something that people from about 10 (if you're mature enough) to 18 or something would enjoy.

Guest rttocs77
What is all the manga CLAMP has done? Does it usually stick to a certain genre? Has all of their manga been turned into anime?

Asking how many mangas CLAMP have unleashed on the world is much like asking the number of pyramids in Egypt.

One really has to give CLAMP props for being as prolific as they are. I could name _at least_ a dozen series of theirs (Card Captor Sakura, CLAMP Campus Detectives, Magic Knights Rayearth, Tokyo Babylon, X/1999, Clover, Miuyki-chan in Wonderland, Wish, Angelic Layer, Chobits, Shirahime-Syo, Suki, ect.) and still only have come away with a fraction of their collected works.

As to whether or not it's of same/similar genre, the answer would generally be a 'no'. Magical girls, androids, Armageddon; there really _is_ something for everyone.

I think it might be literally impossible to animate all of CLAMP's works, and if it happened, I would never move from in front of my television screen ever again.

[quote]I love Demon Diary! Its not a really popular manga, but everyone who reads it give it a five out of five. It has a really funny plot, and great art! I can't wait to read the second and third of it![/quote]

w00t!! Demon Diary RAWKS!!

Rhys let me barrow her first volume and I was hooked. It's so funny ^-^ I've recently placed an order for the first three books... can't wait till they arrive :D

I'm sure there is better but i am just addicted to Mars.
I'm not a very mushy sappy girl so i have no idea why this appeals to me. I just love the series. i have 1-14 and can't wait for the final one.

Maybe i'm a hopless romantic inside after all.

I have also read Blade of the Immortal, very impressive. I love the art work and how you can tell when something is about to happen. The art gets more shaded and fluid when important events take place.

My favorite mangas are Dragon Knights and Kodocha. I haven't read too much on the manga scheme: Shonen Jump, Ranma 1/2 on the scan-sub project site they had a while ago, occasional Inuyasha, Demon Diaries and Minto No Bokura (on another scan site), Dragon Knights and Kodocha are just about it. I don't usually like reading the manga for an anime I've seen- it's either the exact same thing, so there's no point, or it changes and ruins something for me.

My favorite romance, which is also my favorite altogether, is Mars. I just got 15 and it made me cry, but I loved it so much
Other manga I like: Fushigi Yugi, Ceres, Paradise Kiss, Confidential Confessions (Did all the stories make anyone else cry?) Escaflowne, Battle Royale, Real bout High School, Planet Ladder, and Death at Death's Door. Actually, I love all manga! :)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Verykawaiineko [/i]
[B]I ve recently started reading FAKE its very good...not the sterotypical shouneen ai manga...characters are halarious [/B][/QUOTE]

FAKE is one of the best mangas I've come across. Its refreshingly frentic pace and wry humour make it one of my very favourites. (It's just behind X/1999, Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto, and CCS.) If you're a fan (or at least tolerant) of shounen-ai, I'd reccomend this _very_ highly.

I haven't read much manga, however, from what I've read...I truly love Hellsing and Naruto. ><;

I have the first 2 volumes of Hellsing in Japanese. ^_^ I've read up to Vol 5 Chp.3 in english. I'm completely obsessed over Alucard...I just can't help it. >< And from what I read of Rip...she's so kick ***. :)

Naruto...it's a VERY long manga...with well over 100 chapters. It's very refreshing and addicting. The characters are pretty diverse and I'm sure you can relate to one or the other.

I'd recommend Naruto...mostly to anyone who was a huge DBZ fan. ^___^

I probably recommened Hellsing to epople with a bit darker side. It's not a very dark manga, however, it can get bloody and gory. :\

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cahoots34 [/i]
[B]FAKE is one of the best mangas I've come across. Its refreshingly frentic pace and wry humour make it one of my very favourites. (It's just behind X/1999, Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto, and CCS.) If you're a fan (or at least tolerant) of shounen-ai, I'd reccomend this _very_ highly. [/B][/QUOTE]

I heard that Fake is just like Gravitation...

I just recently got the first issue of Ragnarock. Great manga. Very action packed, extremely funny, your average shounen manga. Youll like it if you liked things like RK

FAKE is _nothing_ like Gravitation. The only common link between them is the shounen-ai content. Though I really can't claim to make an unbaised comparison between the two (I am definately _not_ enamoured of the Gravitation manga), I'd say that FAKE is a much more well-rounded series. I find the characters less predictable, less intensely self-absorbed, and more complex than those of Gravitation, and FAKE's art style far outclasses its rival. (What I've seen of the Gravitation OAVs, however, is a far different story, and enough to make me like the series despite the dissapointing manga.) Fake is a slightly more darker, more witty relative of Gravitation, at least to my mind, and the extra depth it gleans from its sarcasm and shadows is what I love best about it.

I'd love to know what the Gravitation fans have to say on the subject.

I'm up for the challenge. ^_~

I've read the first two volumes of Gravitation and skimmed the first volume of FAKE. FAKE's artwork is [i]vastly[/i] better, although I'm not a huge fan of its character designs. However, I've heard that Gravitation's art improves drastically midway through the series, which should be nice to witness.

I may be biased, since Gravi's characters are very near and dear to my heart (especially Shuichi-kun ^_^ ). I actually don't think that Yuki and Shuichi are any more predictable than Dee and Ryo; Yuki initially seems to be the typical cold bishounen, but he's really so much more. Same goes for chipper little Shuichi: no matter how much Yuki gives him, he never seems to be truly happy. He hides his fears with false optimism and a carefree attitude. Yuki, on the other hand, manages to remain perfectly calm in almost every situation--and then blows up over the smallest of annoyances. Despite his far superior intellect, he can't comprehend why Shuichi cares for him, and for all his apparent confidence, he knows that he has no idea what love truly is.

Gravitation generally seems to be more light-hearted than FAKE.... though things do sometimes get a little angsty. One of my biggest reasons for reading Gravitation is its humor: Maki Murakami is a master of comedic timing. I'm not easily amused, but Gravitation cracks me up every time.

That having been said, I'm very interested in reading FAKE, as soon as I manage to get my hands on some cash.

~Dagger~

Hmm.... My fav mangas..

Well there are many to name but I'll try.

Fushigi Yugi- All the fine boys. Plus I can relate to Miaka

Ceres- the amse reason as above, plus I just like these types of book beside the creater of this manga was just awesome.

GTO- hmm well i think it more so due to Onizukas crazy antics that I read this. Plus I have th DVD's and so I love to watch it as well.

Love Hina- Just a very cute and funny story. couldn;t resist reading it.

Planet Ladder- So far an awesome series, very mysterious and very unique in the type I think anyways. But so far the character development is mind-blowing and the storyline is great.

Thats just a hand-full fot the mangas Ive read so far... Cant wait to read more!!!!

I guess I cant let Naruto go unmentioned. This is one AWESOME manga. Ive only ead whats happened in Shonen Jump and Im in love. EXTREMELY bloody and hillariouse, just the wy I like it. Its got drama but its dramatic acton. Bestly, it breaks away from swords and samurai and visits ninja. I find this interesting.

I completely agree, Kyo. Naruto is a superb series. Masashi Kishimoto's art style is _extremely_ beautiful, in a very simple, smooth sort of way. (Does anyone know if he's done any other series?) The storyline is engrossing and original in a way comaparable to Rurouni Kenshin, with its basic concept of a relatively well-recognised Japanese stereotype (ninja, samurai, ect.) being interpreted and presented in an astounding new light.

Plus, Haku just _sizzles_! :love: Yum... ((Does he remind anyone else of Marron from Bakuretsu Hunters?))

[quote]Fake is a slightly more darker, more witty relative of Gravitation, at least to my mind, and the extra depth it gleans from its sarcasm and shadows is what I love best about it.

I'd love to know what the Gravitation fans have to say on the subject.[/quote]

well the thing with murakami-sensei's art is that it really improves as you read along..in about Vol seven the manga is soo well drawn it like watching screen shots..Gravitation does start out pretty shallow but picks up more and more angst along the way [spoiler]most about eiri's past..[/spoiler]
i felt that the tv series was too shallow becasue it was so short...but yes i love it all the same not becasue it is shounen-ai but because its such a sweet story and VERY funny...

I have to say I'm a traditionalist when it comes to manga, so I'd say the best manga is Akira. Yeah, it's long and expensive, but the plot is just so deep and the action is just constantly hitting the reader. Even the characterisation is just incredible, with the Rebel-Hero Kaneda and the twisted-villian Tetsuo, it's just impossible to beat.

Unless you hate drama, in which case Tenchi is probaby better.

A fairly new manga, Tokyo Mew Mew, is the best manga I've read for a while. It's got an interusting story line, and cute caracters.

But aside from that, you still can't beat good ol' Yu Yu Hakusho. ;)