OtakuBoards

Stem cells, right or wrong?

AutoKill

Is stem cell reseach right or wrong?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is stem cell reseach right or wrong?

• Yes
    • No

Stem cell research is somthing of a issue for many people. So i want to see what you guys thought on about it. Plz vote yes or no, and say why you voted yes or no. (yes your for the research of stem cells, No your against the research for stem cells)

[size=1] I recommend, before anyone post here whatsoever, that they go [url=http://stemcells.nih.gov/infoCenter/stemCellBasics.asp]here[/url]. I have only read about a quarter of it, but it seems very great for this topic.

I don't really have too much of an opinion. I think it's right, they should be able to do it. I don't see a big deal; this is the key to curing uncurable diseases. Who would be against this?

Some people are, obviously. Until I get more information thought out in my head, though, this is all I have to say in this thread. Once I feel I know enough, I will support my opinion more.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by anime_guy [/i]
[B]What the!?.... This probaly shoudn't be here.. I don't know... that's just.... wierd... Um, delete this post mods... if I'm wrong and this should be here... [/B][/QUOTE]

It's a serious question unlike you. look up what stem cell's are it may help you realize this is a really intresting topic.

It's a research on how healthy cell's replace damaged cell's I believe... which is used to treat various disease.

(We only spoke of it once in class so I can't say I know all the details)

Mitch you beat me to it >_< by 3 mins....I had to finish cooking while I was typing ^_^

I don't really have a problem with it. It does seem a little wrong to take cells from unborn children, but if it'll help save someone's life, I'm all for it. I'd think if someone who opposed it had a loved one who could be sayed by it, they might look at it a lil' differently.;)

I think that the research is wrong. Like come on, are scientists trying to play god or something. I just don't think that it is a good idea. The idea of them taking cells from unborn babies really makes me upset. It also grosses me out too.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Japan_86 [/i]
[B]I think that the research is wrong. Like come on, are scientists trying to play god or something. I just don't think that it is a good idea. The idea of them taking cells from unborn babies really makes me upset. It also grosses me out too. [/B][/QUOTE]

There is no doubt its wrong, but if you had a loved one that could benefit from the cells wouldn't you at least want the chance? This could really benefit society in many ways; people with aid/cancer now have a hope. Its better then just dying, I am all for it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Evil Pancakes [/i]
[B]Well, yesterday I saw South Park's little episode about stem cells and their effect, so now I'm just incredibly grossed out by the whole idea... [/B][/QUOTE]

You trust South Park's views? Lol. That's amusing. Why don't you try to find out some facts on it, rather than getting them all off South Park?;)

[color=green][size=1]Scientists have been playing God for years. I myself am very torn on the subject all together. It is beneficial, really, it is, but I am a rarity, and that is a liberal democrat pro-lifer. Strange, I know, it's the small amout of Catholic my parents were able to instill in me... Scientists cloned a sheep, and a cow, and an elephant I think, or they were working on it. They grew a human ear on the back of a mouse. Playing God is not an issue for scientists anymore. It's an issue for the rest of us. They'll do it, unless their funding gets cut or there are laws against it. Even then, they will just go to a country where there aren't laws against it and do it there. I think Bush may have actually made a not awful decision when he said go ahead and use the ones we already have, but don't harvest anymore... We'll see how that holds up though.

BTW--that episode of South Park was gross, yes. But I also found it hilarious.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Molleta [/i]
[B][color=green][size=1]Scientists have been playing God for years. I myself am very torn on the subject all together. It is beneficial, really, it is, but I am a rarity, and that is a liberal democrat pro-lifer. Strange, I know, it's the small amout of Catholic my parents were able to instill in me... Scientists cloned a sheep, and a cow, and an elephant I think, or they were working on it. They grew a human ear on the back of a mouse. Playing God is not an issue for scientists anymore. It's an issue for the rest of us. They'll do it, unless their funding gets cut or there are laws against it. Even then, they will just go to a country where there aren't laws against it and do it there. I think Bush may have actually made a not awful decision when he said go ahead and use the ones we already have, but don't harvest anymore... We'll see how that holds up though.

BTW--that episode of South Park was gross, yes. But I also found it hilarious.[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't consider cloning or stem cell research as "playing God". I see it as trying to find a way to save lives. Humans are constantly breaking boundries, and it may one day catch up to us. Until then, I believe if there is a possibility to cure deadly diseases, any and all measures should be taken to save lives. All lives are precious.

*btw* Ear on a mouse's back? I laughed at that.:laugh: Where did you hear that?

Scientist 1: Have you guys cured cancer or AIDS yet?

Scientist 2: Umm...no. But look, we grew an ear on Cheesy's back!

Scientist 1: ...Uh huh. He looks like a freak.

Cheesy: I heard that.

[color=green][size=1]Have you never seen that picture? It is a human ear that scientists got to grow on the back of a mouse. I don't actually remember if it was grafted on or what, but it continued to grow once attached. It is a really strange picture though. I always wondered if the mouse could hear out of it...I think it was a couple of years ago. It was after the sheep cloning though. If you search the Newsweek archives, I'm sure you could find it, it was on the cover of one. Poor cheesy...

As for cloning saving lives... are you talking about partial cloning, like growing a liver from a person's cells, or full-on cloning? How are you saving my life by making a copy of me? I could use the clones organs, I guess, if I needed some, but then she might die. Is that Ok since she's a clone? Is her life less precious? And life being precious... stem cells come from fetuses, those of aborted or still born babies most often... what about the lives they aren't going to have? I don't want to get into an abortion debate, this isn't quite that thread. But let me leave you with this... at the beginning of the whole stem cell debate, there was talk of paying women for their aborted fetuses for research... How precious is the life of terminally ill patients? It may cost the life of a potentially healthy person. [/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Molleta [/i]
[B][color=green][size=1]Have you never seen that picture? It is a human ear that scientists got to grow on the back of a mouse. I don't actually remember if it was grafted on or what, but it continued to grow once attached. It is a really strange picture though. I always wondered if the mouse could hear out of it...I think it was a couple of years ago. It was after the sheep cloning though. If you search the Newsweek archives, I'm sure you could find it, it was on the cover of one. Poor cheesy...

As for cloning saving lives... are you talking about partial cloning, like growing a liver from a person's cells, or full-on cloning? How are you saving my life by making a copy of me? I could use the clones organs, I guess, if I needed some, but then she might die. Is that Ok since she's a clone? Is her life less precious? And life being precious... stem cells come from fetuses, those of aborted or still born babies most often... what about the lives they aren't going to have? I don't want to get into an abortion debate, this isn't quite that thread. But let me leave you with this... at the beginning of the whole stem cell debate, there was talk of paying women for their aborted fetuses for research... How precious is the life of terminally ill patients? It may cost the life of a potentially healthy person. [/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

For some reason, I think the mouse-ear thing is a hoax.;) As for cloning, I'm for cloning various parts of the body, and not another whole person. That seems a bit much to me. Cloning another whole body would serve no purpose, whereas growing a liver is very helpful. We seem to agree on that much, at least. As for the whole abortion issue, I agree that it should not be discussed here. If you PM me, I will be glad to talk about the subject with you.

[Quote]Originally posted by Molleta,
Playing God is not an issue for scientists anymore. It's an issue for the rest of use. They'll do it, unless their funding gets cut or there are laws against it. [/quote]
In most religious matters the process of witch stem cells are harvested and used would fall under "playing god". This is the main issue why stem cell research isn?t in wide spread us. Government does not want to offend people by new technology. But you are right. Scientists will undoubtedly continue researching on these types of taboo acts of technology. And that is the true issue. The fact that or human race has came so far as to being able to prolong life, and to create life with or technology. Many religious groups feel that we should never cross the line of "playing god". But in or society the government has to make such stands on these new found advancements.

In my own opinions I feel that you can?t censor technology what so ever. There will always be loopholes and groups of rebellion.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Original [/i]
[B]For some reason, I think the mouse-ear thing is a hoax.;) As for cloning, I'm for cloning various parts of the body, and not another whole person. That seems a bit much to me. Cloning another whole body would serve no purpose, whereas growing a liver is very helpful. We seem to agree on that much, at least. As for the whole abortion issue, I agree that it should not be discussed here. If you PM me, I will be glad to talk about the subject with you. [/B][/QUOTE]

The ear thing isn't a hoax.. I've actually been able to see the mold that is used to create an ear, or a replica.

[URL=http://tlc.discovery.com/convergence/superhuman/photo/zoom_03.html]Cute mouse :p[/URL]

As for stem cells... people don't realize stem cells can be harvested from blood, placenta, and the unbilical chords. I am all for stem cell research, and think that any advances concerning science in this feild are more than welcome.

However, I don't think the research should consist of aborted babies, or entire human cloning at ALL. I'm absolutely pro-life on the topic, and I know that being able to say "Well, at least I gave it's stem cells to save someone else," takes off part of a guilt trip that I belive [b]should[/b] be there (of course this changes in the case of rape, however I'm still pro-life in that situation).

Continue research by all means, just don't kill babies in the process ^_^.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth [/i]
[B]The ear thing isn't a hoax.. I've actually been able to see the mold that is used to create an ear, or a replica.

[URL=http://tlc.discovery.com/convergence/superhuman/photo/zoom_03.html]Cute mouse :p[/URL]

As for stem cells... people don't realize stem cells can be harvested from blood, placenta, and the unbilical chords. I am all for stem cell research, and think that any advances concerning science in this feild are more than welcome.

However, I don't think the research should consist of aborted babies, or entire human cloning at ALL. I'm absolutely pro-life on the topic, and I know that being able to say "Well, at least I gave it's stem cells to save someone else," takes off part of a guilt trip that I belive [b]should[/b] be there (of course this changes in the case of rape, however I'm still pro-life in that situation).

Continue research by all means, just don't kill babies in the process ^_^. [/B][/QUOTE]

...well now I feel like an idiot. Sorry for not lookin' up the mouse thing, Molleta. I assumed someone wouldn't do something that crazy...guess not. Lol. Anyway, Drix's reply pretty much conveys my feelings on the whole deal. I suppose I'll leave this thread alone a while, since I've got my point across. That is, unless an interesting argument comes up.:D

Guest cloricus
Okay let?s look at this from another angle that has nothing to do with religion or politics.
I am blind; I have been since I was born. As some of you know there are new technologies working on by-passing the eyes for optical input but these technologies even though they have advanced faster than expected are still (if continued at this rate) a good 15 to 30 years away. Stem cell research and possible use gained from this if started now could be in testing in 5 to 15 years giving the person use of their own eyes not an implant or other. To me seeing fully is not quite a dream as such, more of an interest, you know like some one who can only hear in monotone and has never experienced full sound. (I am blind in one eye and sight in the other requires glasses for what I see to not be badly blurred.) So seeing the way most others do is some thing I personally could gain out of this going ahead. But expand that - All blind people on earth no matter the state of their ailment would be able to see. To me this is worth sacrificing the umbilical cord which is just thrown away with every thing else, if you will note this is all scientists (in Australia) are asking for.
Now atm the thing stopping this going ahead is some one complaining about some one else using some thing that would be thrown away in any case. Myself and I'm sure every one that this gives hope to shits them off beyond belief, really what is the point of this pointless argument, can't people just get on with it?

I knew i couldn?t start this post without some things of South Park ending up in it. But Christopher Reeves should not be the target for your anger.

Further more, i feel that even if some one tries to put bands on stem cell research, it will still be on going throughout the scientific world any way. So even if people feel it is wrong, it will happen regardless.

Christopher Reeves? What is so wrong with him?

Stem cell research could help many people. Even if it did take babies, and not necessarily placentas to make it, then I think it would be valuable. A life is precious, but quality of life is important as well. That is about all there is too it. Religion/ethical issues enter into it, but that is the basic part of it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Original [/i]
[B]You trust South Park's views? Lol. That's amusing. Why don't you try to find out some facts on it, rather than getting them all off South Park?;) [/B][/QUOTE]

No, sweetheart, after I saw the episode I actually did go and do a bit of research on the subject, but because of the show I had a preformed idea which affected my views on the solid data. Either was, I was referring only basically to the subject as a whole.
:)

Stem cell research may be wrong but it is not up to us to judge. There are good sides to it and there are bad sides also. The good side is that with the research we can make cure diseases that were normally uncurable. The bad side to it is that countless numbers of babies will be killed trying to get it right. There sacrifices won't be in vain though because that one baby will save thousand but does that justify the other being slaughtered?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by craig8429 [/i]
[B]their are so many aborted baby's anyways, I don't see a problem in it. if a mother is aborting the baby it's dead anyways, why not help others? [/B][/QUOTE]

This is where I have a problem. I'm totally and whole heartedly against abortion. Granted, I'll listen to other's peoples veiws. Jenna knows this. But, I there are other ways to harvest stem cells. Aborting babies for stem cells just gives women an excuse I don't belive they should have.

The statistics will change. Over 86% of women abort because they just "don't want the baby", only 1% for rape... Now it's going to change to 86% of women abort because "it's to save other lives". I hate trying to justify murder.

Guest PhoenixFlame
im ok for it sorta......but if they did the right kind of research they could keep cells from getting damaged and keep people from or slow down ageing...and if cells didnt get damaged your arm could get severed but if you were to put it back on where it was cut off it would seal pretty quickly as if your arm was never severed