OtakuBoards

Justice League

Kent

Well of course I love this show, that should be given for anyone who has a tv and has taken the time to watch the program.

However, some of the more specific things I love about the show...

First would be how in the more recent shows, superman has slowly shed his "nice guy" skin and fallen into a meaner fighter role. It's awesome to see superman let loose with his powers and throw down like batman would if he were the one to have such awesome powers.

That takes me to my next favorite point, batman.

He's awesome, he is actually better than superman in some ways. He's a "normal" human, so just being able to keep up gets him mad respect. Then there is the additude thing, I mean, if there was one person from the justice league I wouldn't wanna tangle with, it would without a doubt be batman. Dirty interigation and quick wits makes for one bad dude. (oh yeah, and hes quite the ladies man :D )

All in all, I really just love the way this show has managed to express some of the more complex charactoristics from each of these already highly developed charactors.

So what do you guys think?
(btw, has anyone noticed something between the bat and wonder woman? ... ok, yeah, there is definatly something between those two... I think she's got something for the tall dark hair types ;))

Anthoer thread on JL. I think there have already been a few but I just can't resist praising this show.

I love JL it is one of my favorite shows of all time. I'm not a DC fan but I am a comic fan and love all show that deal with them. They did kinda screw up the plot and all by making Hawkman Hawkgirl and having Wonderwoman flying around but the rest is pretty good. They also messed up by making GL so old he is not that old in the comics by far; they made Batman younger then him plus they screwed up his background information, but over all its a good show.

Weren't both Hawkman and Hawkgirl memebers of the Justice League in the comic? The makers of the show were going to use both of them, but there's really no point in using both hawk-people. They needed another woman in the team in addition to Wonder Woman, so they decided to use Hawkgirl.

Batman isn't that young in the animated series. He's got to be close to pushing 40. The timeline for Justice League animated follows the timeline to Batman: The Animated Series and The New Batman Adventures. At this point, Batman is so old that he's already on his third Robin.

And I thought Wonder Woman [i]could[/i] fly. The only times I've seen her use that invisible jet of hers is in the old Superfriends cartoon and the live-action 1970s TV series.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Manic [/i]
[B]Weren't both Hawkman and Hawkgirl memebers of the Justice League in the comic? The makers of the show were going to use both of them, but there's really no point in using both hawk-people. They needed another woman in the team in addition to Wonder Woman, so they decided to use Hawkgirl.

Batman isn't that young in the animated series. He's got to be close to pushing 40. The timeline for Justice League animated follows the timeline to Batman: The Animated Series and The New Batman Adventures. At this point, Batman is so old that he's already on his third Robin.

And I thought Wonder Woman [i]could[/i] fly. The only times I've seen her use that invisible jet of hers is in the old Superfriends cartoon and the live-action 1970s TV series. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]Actually, I think that Hawkgirl was in the JLA comics for quite a bit longer than Hawkman, who was her husband, mainly because she was avenging Hawkman's death.

Wonder Woman has always been able to fly in the comics, at least she has been able to for the last seventeen years or so.

I think that the Justice League is a great cartoon, it is well animated and the plot lines are usually very entertaining. I have always liked how DC stuck to a similar form of artwork throughout their shows (Batman, Superman, JLA). The only changes that I would like to see occur throughout the series is the addition of Steel, the Atom, and Kyle Rayner as the Green Lantern (mainly because the possible dialogue between Rayner and West, the Flash, is so good in the comic).[/color]

Try discussing the show a little more, nightwingfan.

No, Nightwing has not shown up in JL. No one from the Bat-Family has. Some of them might make a cameo some day (Lois Lane and Jimmy managed to get a couple of cameos, so far), but none of them have appeared.

Kyle Rayner will never show up on JL. Neither will Hal Jordan. The writers screwed up big-time when they gave Kyle Hal's backstory in an episode of Superman. They aren't planning to open that can of worms again (especially with John Stewart present), so there'll be no Kyle Rayner on Justice League.

Guest nightwingfan
I can't discuss the show, since I don't have cable or anything else that would allow me to watch. I only have normal channels on my set.

[color=silver][font=times new roman][b]JL is pretty good...Each of the characters plays off one another well and the other characters besides batman/superman get a good amount of screen time.

Ill agree batman is really shown as one of the best in this series. Hes this weak little man among superheroes that some regard as gods yet hes more often then not the one that saves all of em.

In this respect they stay close to the comic because in a couple storyarcs batman is the most dangerous guy on the team.

So yeah its a pretty good team show(Not as good as Teen Titans but not too bad either :D )

Oh and NWF if you dont have anything to discuss about the show...Then maybe you shouldnt just post spam in the thread? Just a thought...:rolleyes:[/color][/font][/b]

[B]Kyle Rayner will never show up on JL. Neither will Hal Jordan. The writers screwed up big-time when they gave Kyle Hal's backstory in an episode of Superman. They aren't planning to open that can of worms again (especially with John Stewart present), so there'll be no Kyle Rayner on Justice League. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember that Superman episode. They really screwed that one up, huh? I think Stewart is the Green Lantern again in the comic book, I guess they wanted a little bit of conformity between the two. I really wish they would just make Stewart a bit more inventive with the ring...all he ever does is form flat barriers and green laser beams. I guess it just goes hand in hand with his millitary background.[/color]

I have seen a few episodes of JL. Last year in science class we had to watch an hour episode because we were doin somethin in Space.

Superman is the best JL out there. Superman has always been my favorite comic book character and tv character. Batman is right next to him!

• 1 month later...
Ok, first off, I am well aware that we are not supposed to bring back old threads. (like this one, with the last post being made a month ago.)

However, I am tired of making justice league threads. (this was the second one I made) and I know that the 10 or so responses are not too much for anyone to read.

So just try and bear with me on this one...

As for my actual post, I wanted to talk about the justice league of course, and more specifically, yesterdays new episode.

I don't know if anyone watched it, but it was interesting for sure, and one thing made it all that much more interesting to me: superman.

In yesterday's episode superman had a full-on grizzly adams beard (which wonder woman was diggin') and a sword on his back. Now that superman was quite a shock to me considering the only superman I ever end up seeing is the perfect boy scout.

Of course, that brings me to the week before this when superman started showing an additude and infact, starting taking charge of the group in a mean-spirited way. (it was awesome) He used his powers in unrestrained ways and gave some of us a great sense of charactor development.

Basically, my comments boil down to this, justice league is great. There is charactor development, there is action and comedy. The only thing thats missing is a daily schedule of 1/2 hour shows.

So what do you guys think?

(Before I move on I would like to say that I knew nothing about the characters except for Batman and Superman when the series started.)

I saw yesterdays episode... very interesting...

When it started off I thought it would be about some little group of super villans who would attempt to beat Superman, then they would lose, get a new member who causes some kind of big trouble, and so on so forth. Although, 3 min. into the episode I was very off. Like the characters in the show, my mouth literaly dropped when Superman was blasted into nothing by Toy Man's freeky machine.

But, what caught my eye most in the episode was during the first 3 min. when they were fighting Toy man and the rest of the 4 villians. If anyone watched last weeks episodes, The group got into a huge fight, split up, and then got back together. A big situation in that episode was that the JL wasn't working together like a team should.
Well, at the start of last nights episode I saw a huge change. It was almost as if the last episode didn't even happen. Flash was thrown under a huge pile of crap and Wonder Women helped him out and was then followed by Flash having an idea (O.O) and with the help with Wonder Woman and her rope they threw one of the 5 guys flying (I don't remember their names) and they warned Shaun about the coming attack.
That was a huge change from last weeks.

I thought the episode was very interesting and taught everyone a lesson. "When you destroy the world and your the only one alive because your imortal... Life sucks."
I thought it was very touchy too at the end when Flash started crying. That was so cute.

I don't watch much of the show, although I always mean to. I don't get CN up in my room and my parents go to bed rather early. They were out last night, so I took advantage of my freedom with the TV.

I always have a laugh when people claim Teen Titans is aimed at teens and such. What the hell are they watching? This is obviously the show someone in the higher age groups would watch. More people should see it.

Anyway, the episode was decent. I hate Superman. I've never liked him. His death would have been a good thing, but it's always nice to see the crap get beaten out of him. Watching him defend himself on the future earth wasn't so bad, mostly because he couldn't use his powers.

In the end, it was a decent episode. Not the best I've seen, but certainly not the worst.

Well...

Teen titans is a great show.(really just for its humor)

However, to stick with the justice league topic...

I would say the most important charactoristic of the justice league would be the solid charactor development.

In no other show of this style do you find the same sort of development for each individual charactor. Thats probably why the justice league themselves are so perfect for the style of show... I mean, each member is so unique and individual that there is infinite room for development. Whether it's supermans invulnerability & boyscout additude, wonder woman's feminism, GL's sense of ethics & dignity, or flash's confident/flirtatious (sp?) nature, each charactor is given very individual traits and more importantly the time in each season of episodes to develop/express those traits. (you've also gotta love the expression of batman's charactoristics of pride & intelligence... being the only one without special powers and all.)

Action, humor, and more of my favorite charactors brought me to the show, but the insight into each charactors deeper traits is what keeps me coming back. (come on! how can you beat the bat's stern, realist additude paired with superman's optimistic, outgoing & friendly additude.) (oh wait, yeah, you can beat that with gl's charactor paired to flash's... or maybe flash and wonder woman?)

Anyway, Im just saying one last thing... I love the interactions between superman and batman... superman loves the bat and expresses it, the bat feels the same, only never expresses it and tries his hardest to never let it come through.

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]I don't really think you should bash on nightwingfan because he was curious about something on the show. You all seem to be Justice League experts, all you had to say was "Nope, he hasn't been in the show at all" There is no need to just bash the guy. .

I really enjoy Justice League. . they aren't as kiddie cartoon as I originally thought they were going to make it (not saying I still wouldn't have watched it) I really enjoy how everyone has a role in the show, and not just Superman taking everyone on.

I used to laugh at my friend Steve (a HUGE Superman fan -- have a question, ask him. . or. . me, and I will ask him) because Superman's job was to get shot at by missles and fly into buildings. . I thought that was funny ^_^ But Steve told me, it isn't the fact that he is getting hit a lot. .it's the fact that he keeps getting up, time and time again. That makes a lot of sense. . to me at least =P

As for everyone else, I love the character interaction between everyone. How Hawkgirl is a very uptight woman. . lol I get a kick out of that because many of my friends are like that =P (and yes, I mean the women . . )

I really like Hawkgirl's character (more then just what she says). I like how she doesn't have any lasers. . or any technology that can keep her away from a fight. She HAS to get involved and charge head on. Plus, she relies on wings to fly, so if her wings are tied, she is pretty much grounded. If her thunder mace weapon is gone. . well, she is weakened a lot! I think that is great. .more of a 'human' type of superhero. Obviously, Batman is the most human one among them. . but come on, it's Batman! lol[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by NorykoAngelcry [/i]
[B][COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]I don't really think you should bash on nightwingfan because he was curious about something on the show. You all seem to be Justice League experts, all you had to say was "Nope, he hasn't been in the show at all" There is no need to just bash the guy. . [/SIZE][/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]
Okay... what thread have you been reading? I'm the only person who replied to nightwingfan's question, not all of us. Even then, I didn't bash him. All I said was: [color=darkblue]"No, Nightwing has not shown up in JL. No one from the Bat-Family has. Some of them might make a cameo some day (Lois Lane and Jimmy managed to get a couple of cameos, so far), but none of them have appeared."[/color] Please don't victimize certain members and spin perfectly normal replies into something harsh and coarse.

ANYway, I think the interaction between Green Lantern and Hawkgirl is... interesting. Last season, they had a deep conversation or two, but the relationship didn't really present itself until this year. We've already experienced a few sexual references, their tendancy to work together more often than most others, and HG slapping GL on the ***.

However, their relationship isn't nearly as curious as Wonder Woman and Batman. It started with Batman being a little [i]too[/i] concerned for WW's wellbeing in one episode (something the writers of the show didn't even intend to expand upon), and continued with WW bringing out BM's sense of humor, a couple kisses, and a dance.

It took them a few tries, but the writers have finally made Flash more useful in each episode. He even took on Superman, which wasn't nearly as one-sided as it sounds.

[B]It took them a few tries, but the writers have finally made Flash more useful in each episode.[/B][/QUOTE]
[size=1]The problem with this incarnation of the Flash is that he isn't very fast. At least, he isn't as fast as he is in the comic books, and as a result the character comes across as being weak and useless. There was one episode in particular where the Flash had trouble keeping up with a speeding truck, a simple delivery truck! It can be very frustrating to see Flash vibrate through different planes of reality in a comic book, while he fails to catch Fed Ex in the Justice League cartoon.

The entire Justice League come across as being fairly weak in the series, which is a shame. Superman is nearly a god, and simple things like nuclear submarines manage to take him down. For shame...

-Shy[/size]

[B]Okay... what thread have you been reading? I'm the only person who replied to nightwingfan's question, not all of us. Even then, I didn't bash him. All I said was: [color=darkblue]"No, Nightwing has not shown up in JL. No one from the Bat-Family has. Some of them might make a cameo some day (Lois Lane and Jimmy managed to get a couple of cameos, so far), but none of them have appeared."[/color] Please don't victimize certain members and spin perfectly normal replies into something harsh and coarse.[/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]I wasn't referring to your thread(s). . I was referring to a thread a few posts down from yours. . I know your posts have been fine. I suppose I just got upset when I see people wanting to put in any input, and getting critisized because they didn't give as much thought or as much detail as another person did. . it's a little too easy for some to point the finger (I guess I am a culprit myself).

I agree with what you said Shy. . Flash is just too lame of a character. . I remember the comic books where he was . . fast *shrug* The example you gave was the exact one I had in my head when I read the comment about Flash. They are making him better. . but his speed is still lacking. . I mean, FLASH . . what do you think when you hear the name? Oh well. . you can't really animate him any other way I guess. .

I suppose if they made all the Justice League as powerful as they really should be, there wouldn't be too much to the show. Even still, all of Justice League vs. any opponent is pretty one sided. . [/SIZE][/COLOR]

A lot of people (myself included) seem to have problems with the Justice League not being powerful enough in the animated series. Sometimes the limits of their powers vary from episode to episode. These are quotes from Bruce Timm (the guy who created the animated Justice League, Batman, and Superman series) I collected about certain characters' powers...

[b]Flash[/b]
[quote]He's so fast [that], if he was just a little bit smarter, he wouldn't need a Justice League. Anytime anyone fired a gun at him, he could run across town to the police station, pick up a Kevlar vest, come back, and let the bullet bounce off his chest. He's that fast.

You've got to figure out a way [to make him work]. He's got to be fast, but you've got to be able to see him. You can't make him so fast that he doesn't need the Justice League. He's difficult to write action scenes for [but], otherwise, he's a fun character to play with. All the characters have their own strengths and weaknesses that can be difficult to work into a story[/quote]

[b]Martian Manhunter[/b]
[quote]The tricky part about J?onn was trying to limit his powers because, in the entire history of DC Comics, he?s had every power imaginable?we said, ?Okay, which ones do we want to give him?? And the thing is [that], at times, he?s been presented as being like at Superman-level strength, [plus] he?s telepathic, and he does all this different stuff.

So, basically the powers that we settled on: he does have telepathic abilities and he is still a shape-shifter, but we?re trying not to overdo that because it?s like [in a mock Wonder Twins voice] ?Size of an elephant!? And he passes through things?he can alter his density, so he can move through walls and stuff. And he?s strong, but he?s not quite as strong as Superman. He?s not nearly in that class. And he does fly.

Oh, heat vision. That one never made sense because he?s afraid of fire. So, he has no heat vision[/quote]

[b]Superman[/b]
[quote]By the time the first couple of episodes started airing we were almost done with the pre-production on the First Season. So, by the time we realized there were some problems we had, it was too late to fix them. There was almost nothing we could do. One of the things we had gotten the most critical hits for on the First Season was that supposedly we de-powered Superman and made him a big wimp.

It wasn't a conscious decision on our part?it was literally because we had already done his own series and we had all these new characters to introduce and focus on?we felt [that] Superman could take care of himself. We didn't feel like we needed to give him any special attention, but what happened was [that] we fell into a rut of Superman getting knocked down and then not getting back up. It wasn't something [that] we realized was happening until we started getting the episodes back and the fans on the Internet started saying, 'Hey, wait a minute, Superman can't take a punch anymore!?' And we were saying, 'Oh my God, they're right!' But by that time we only had two or three episodes left on the First Season, so we tried to fix it as quickly as we could.

He's a tough character?you don't want him to be too powerful, but you don't want to make him too wimpy. The trap we fell into on Justice League was, again, we have seven of these guys and whatever villains they go up against have to be big, powerful villains. So we used the easy trick of saying, ?Okay: the villain walks into the scene and takes Superman down with one punch.? [That way], we automatically know that he's a bad guy and it's going to take the entire Justice League to take him down. We didn't handle that with enough finesse.[/quote]

All above quotes were taken from ToonZone's [url=http://jl.toonzone.net/]The Justice League Watchtower[/url]

Well, like I said before, I didn't know squat about JL except that batman and Superman were in it. I'v never really been a comic book person [when it comes to Superman, Batman, ect.] so I really never knew how powerful the characters really were.

Flash is my favorite character (and it isn't because I think he's funny). I do agree that he didn't seem very important early on is the season, but he has been put in more and seems to be more important (Mainly in an episode that aired 3 or so weeks ago when everyone was mind controled but him).
In my oppinion, all the characters in JL have some point of being in the show... or else they wouldn't be in it... And I think if they had kept Flash as fast as he was ment to be he would have been to powerful and like the man said "He wouldn't need the JL".

I must have missed a few episode or so, but i'v seen WW kiss Batman once of the cheek, but i'v never seen them dance.
When did Hawkgirl slap JL's ***? Oo

In a recent episode where Wonder Woman (being a type of diplomat from her island) attended a formal party in a small made-up European country, she danced with billionaire Bruce Wayne, who just happened to be attending. Diana was being mobbed by reporters, and Bruce pulled her out of the crowd and asked her to dance.

In another episode, Hawkgirl was giving Green Lantern a pep-talk, and slapped him on the rear. They didn't actually show the slap, but you saw HG reach behind GL, GL reacting, and a loud slapping sound. There was also another episode where HG and GL were holding a conversation. Maybe I just have a dirty mind, but I interpreted a sexual reference...

Hawkgirl: Do you sleep better at night?
Green Lantern: (smiling) You know I do.

I was happy to see The Main Man on this most recent episode, and I'm glad he had some pretty cool things to say also. It's kinda sad though that they always to resort to some time thing where they either go forward or backwards in time.

Well, I just spent an our laughing my *** off at "Wild Card" The newest episode of JL. It seemed to answer quite a bit of discussions going on. It looks like GL and HG finally got together. The episode had a few love parts, but it was equaled out by the antics of Joker and his crew (The old lady at the machine was pretty funny, I knew the episode would end with her).

I always love it when the Joker steals the show, he wasn't that great in the last episode he appeared in (The one when they plant the bomb in the watch tower). I personaly loved the part when Batman, Flash, and SM first arrived at the scene. How he talked about the fashion.
I think we have also seen a bit more on Flash's speed. Taking the bomb and getting it out of the town in 1 sec. wasn't too shaby.

The whole story behind Ace was a bit creepy, The only thing I was left confussed about is what would happen to Flash and SM, im guessing sence Ace left the scene earlier on they wouldn't go insane.

Did anyone else see the preview for the new christmas episode, that looks good... Flash as Santa....

Now this is pretty cool, the royal flush gang, whom I first saw in "batman beyond" is now being tied into the justice league by showing the original flush gang.

Although there are two major differences...
In bat.beyond, they were a family and they didn't have super powers.

But hey, it's still lookin like a great show, so Im cool with it.