OtakuBoards

One Piece

Mimmsicle

*just jumping into the conversation*

Man, it's so difficult to explain to fellow fans of One Piece that 4Kids is the Devil. See, my brother and I actually sit through the stuff they play on Toonami, but only as long as we "Mystery Science Theatre 3000" it. We just sort of mock it and then watch the correct episode afterwards. [spoiler]When Usopp and Chopper went up against Miss Merry Christmas, Mr. 4 and Lasso outside of Alburana, I almost died spiritually listening to the bad puns that were everywhere. Then I went and watched my trusty DVDs with bad subtitles right after the show and must have counted at least twelve visual differences, not including about five extra minutes of footage that 4Kids just chopped off.[/spoiler] I don't get why people find that there is something right with that.

Besides, I think when [spoiler]Franky ran around Water 7 without the speedo[/spoiler], I think everyone just threw up their arms and cursed violently. They thought they could cut [spoiler]Little Garden because of Mr. 3's sadism[/spoiler], but I'm sure enough finally became enough for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, folks. I was just at Arlong Park (No, I am a lurker there.)

WE'VE DONE IT! [url]http://www.animeonline.com/index.php?page=news_featured&ent_id=101234[/url]

That's right. FUNImation knows what we want, and they are giving it to us.

[Quote]So what are the DVD plans? They?ll be uncut, right?
HEISKELL: Totally uncut. What you see is what you get.[/Quote]

Eat our shorts, Kahn. Heiskell cares. Man, I love America at times like this (Sanjaya's finally off American Idol also.)

Just thought you all should know. The nightmare is over and the dream is just beginning. Gotta go.

Edit:
[quote name='Nehszriah]Besides, I think when [Spoiler]Franky ran around Water 7 without the speedo,[/Spoiler] I think everyone just threw up their arms and cursed violently. They thought they could cut [Spoiler]Little Garden because of Mr. 3's sadism,[/Spoiler'] but I'm sure enough finally became enough for them.[/quote]
Incorrect, I believe they cut Little Garden because of Chopper the Blue-Nosed Merchandsing Goldmine. It's all about money and how fast they can get it with these guys.

[color=#007520]I read about the re-licensing on VG Cats actually...

The only thing is that they're only dubbing the last few episodes? That's going to be a little strange. But they said they might go back to the first hundred after. I think I'll wait for the DVDs of the first "season" to come out before I start actually watching this series.

-r2[/color]

[QUOTE=r2vq][color=#007520]I read about the re-licensing on VG Cats actually...

The only thing is that they're only dubbing the last few episodes? That's going to be a little strange. But they said they might go back to the first hundred after. I think I'll wait for the DVDs of the first "season" to come out before I start actually watching this series.

-r2[/color][/QUOTE]
Apparently, it's because Cartoon Network doesn't want to have to go back to square 1 on it. Surprisingly enough, the former dub apparently got pretty good ratings in the 9-to-14 demographic, but yeah, the big big news is mostly the unedited DVD release. I'm definitely gonna check those out. (By the way, R2, you may not remember this, but... sorry for being such a troll in my early days here. I never got around to apologizing, except to James.)

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Aceburner']Surprisingly enough, the former dub apparently got pretty good ratings in the 9-to-14 demographic, but yeah, the big big news is mostly the unedited DVD release.[/quote]

[color=darkgreen]Ace, you and I both know why the old dub got good ratings, so admit it. Old dub was alright, execpt for it wasn't as clear cut in it's language and style the way the original Japanese was. But I agree that it wasn't that great. (I hated the Sanji dub! GAAAAA!!!!!) But yeah, I can't wait for release of the unedited DVD.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Sojiro47][color=darkgreen']Ace, you and I both know why the old dub got good ratings, so admit it. Old dub was alright, execpt for it wasn't as clear cut in it's language and style the way the original Japanese was. But I agree that it wasn't that great. (I hated the Sanji dub! GAAAAA!!!!!) But yeah, I can't wait for release of the unedited DVD.[/color][/quote]
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7b/HelmeppoEdit_OnePiece.jpg/180px-HelmeppoEdit_OnePiece.jpg[/IMG]

Don't get me started on them poison suction cups, So. Those ratings were mostly due to the fact that they tried to stop pulling this crap once the time slot got moved, but still couldn't.
EDIT: Found 'em
[IMG]http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/1/10/POISONSUCTION.JPG[/IMG]
PULL 'EM OFF FAST, CHORE BOY!

• 1 month later...
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Navy"]Yes, that's right, and ofcourse, I looked them up, and am posting them all here, for your viewing. ;D

[B]----------[/B]
[U][B]Monkey D. Luffy[/B][/U]: [I]Colleen Clinkenbeard[/I]
Notable Roles-
Full Metal Alchemist: Riza Hawkeye, Rose Tomas
Comments: I can't really imagine Riza or Rose as Luffy, but whatever. <_< lol

[B][U]Roronoa Zoro[/U][/B]: [I]Christopher R. Sabat[/I]
Notable Roles-
Dragonball/Z/GT: General Black (lol), Kami, Piccolo, Vegeta, Yamcha, Mr. Popo, many more... o_o
Full Metal Alchemist: Alex Louis Armstrong
Yu Yu Hakusho: Kuwabara, Raizen
Comment: Considering I didn't realize that all these dudes had the same voice actor, I'm sure he'll be fine. lol

[B][U]Nami[/U][/B]: [I]Luci Christian[/I]
Notable Roles-
Full Metal Panic: Kaname Chidori
Full Metal Alchemist: Wrath, Clare/Psiren (That thief chick lol),
Peacemaker: Ichimura Tetsunosuke (I don't think a lot of people have seen this, though...lol)
Comment. Okay. :P

[B][U]Usopp:[/U][/B] [I]Sonny Strait[/I]
Notable Roles-
Dragon Ball/Z/GT: KRILLIN!!!!
Full Metal Alchemist: MAES HUGHES!!!
Yu Yu Hakusho: The Docter (Chapter Black Saga)
Comment: Lmao Krillin is Ussop! XD

[B][U]Sanji[/U][/B]: [I]Eric Johnson/ Eric Vale[/I] (Damn Voice Actors, and their aliases... <_<)
Notable Roles-
Dragon Ball Z/GT: Future Trunks o_O
Yu Yu Hakusho: Sakyo (Toguro's Team Owner Guy), Rando (That Psychic dude that made Kuwabara small lol)
Comment: Anything is better than the previous voice. -__-

[B][U]Tony Tony Chopper[/U][/B]: [I]Brina Palencia[/I]
Notable Roles-
Full Metal Alchemist: ...Nina Tucker...([spoiler]That girl who got fused with the chimera...[/spoiler] T_T)
Comment: Nina was so cute...Chopper is fine. :)

[B][U]Nico Robin[/U][/B]: [I]Stephanie Young[/I]
Notable Roles-
...ahhh...none I recognized...she seems fairly new... o_o; lol
Comment: I have no idea... <_<
----------

Well, there you have it. I hope they do well, as I'm sure they will, but anythings better than 4kids...4real...lmao :P[/COLOR][/FONT]

[font=comic sans ms][COLOR="Navy"]I'm sure they'll stick to the original theme songs, as that's what they did for FMA (kinda....They did use the same opening for 1/4 of the series so they could promote L'arc~en~Ciel, though ironically, they're broken up now... <_<;). Plus, the Naruto dubs began to use the actual openings, now, with Japanese, and everything! :D

And you don't have to worry about Sanji, since he will have the same voice as Krillin, and Maes Hughes, who I didn't notice had the same voice actors... o_o

[URL="http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4239/nowxj1.png"]But...it still won't be the same without one of Luffy's commonly used lines...note the pic includes the bad word for "Rear end..." lol[/URL][/COLOR][/font]

[color=dimgray]Haha, Luffy. I think One Piece is one of those anime that's just hard to translate/edit. It's so eccentric and slap-stick that it's hard for me to imagine it being translated well. I'm sure FUNimation will do a great job, though. :)[/color]

[quote name='Tatsubei Yagyu'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Navy"]lol Oh, no problem about the Voice Actors...

I have to do my part to spread the One Piece love, you know. :D

I take the screenshots myself, so I'll be glad to make some of Zoro/Sanji violence. XD[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Actually, I meant to add "out of my head." to the end of that phrase, but it would truly be amazing to see something like that.

• 2 months later...
Okay, I am majorly bumping this thread. This is a problem. The FUNi dub released 2 days ago. WHY IS THERE NO DISCUSSION?!

*Ahem*

I missed the premiere, unfortunately. Sojiro47 had no videotape and I have local TV only. Anyone have links to the opening? Choice voice samples? (A whole episode?) Maybe I'll youtube it when I get home, but I'll be severely dissappointed if this continues to be unposted in. There is discussion to be had here, people!

Edit: Okay, You're all grounded. Now excuse me while I listen to the opening for the umpteenth time.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, okay... I'll take up the challenge.

The new dub was f***ing amazing. That is just about the only way to put it. With the junk that was had, we should concidered ourselves blessed to have such a thing as the FuniDub. Why? Let's see...

[u]Voices[/u]: Oh, where do I start? After watching two of the FuniDub episodes, I am totally head-over-heels for this new system. Sure Usopp sounds a little weenie-ish ([i]totally not the fault of the actor, it's just nobody can top Kappei-san in my book[/i]) and Masira wasn't as goofy as I had hoped, but the rest of the characters were close to being spot on. They even improved upon Ace and the Buggy/Alvida crew. My ears did not bleed and all was good.

[u]Music[/u]: It made me giddy when I heard the opening for the first time. I think the English version of "Hikari E" ranks right up there alongside the Sogeking theme when it comes to fun One Piece songs. That was an incredible piece of work, plus I smiled at the original BGM. The synthesizer is dead! Long live orchestral music!

[u]Editing[/u]: Not as much editing done as I expected. I noticed boobs ([i]quite on accident, mind you[/i]) and weaponry that resembled weaponry and no lollipop. I understand that Sanji's cigarette was totally edited out, but have been told it will come back in the uncut DVDs next year. Whether this is true or not, I guess we will have to see, but I will expect to hear things like "Zoro" and "Portgas D Ace" in the DVDs, so frankly I am simply glad for the fact that I know better things are coming my way.

Now also, I am thrilled by the prospect of a new anime filler arc to air come Sunday. One Piece fillers for me have been rather fun, although pointless. I'm thinking they might have to draw this one out for a while so that Thriller Bark can end. :animestun

• 1 month later...
Hey, folks!

Next week we get to see Bellamy's [spoiler]oh-so satisfying dented skull.[/spoiler] Here's hoping for minimal edits and amazing dialog as usual. Anyone else impressed by Colleen Clinkenbeard's flawless and quick transition into Luffy's character? I am utterly impressed by how well she's adapted, especially since she had it almost perfectly by the 4th episode. Other VA's I'm impressed by are:

Sonny Strait (Jason Griffiths ruined Sonic. He never deserved Usopp.)
Stephanie Young (I liked Robin from the first funi episode, if not just for the absence of the hick accent.)

EDIT: Crap. Looks like we have to wait longer. Toonami is airing that stupid Naruto movie again this week. Why do we have to suffer through it again? There are only 2 good parts in the entire freaking movie. [spoiler]Sasuke's autographed picture and Naruto Rasengan'ing the bad guy to the 31st of February.[/spoiler]

Usually I don't mind Naruto much, but why replace 2 new episodes of your cash cow and a new episode of a fantastic revival that's almost sure to garner you some money for a crappy movie that more or less insults your biggest-selling franchise by existing?

[quote name='Aceburner']Hey, folks!

Next week we get to see Bellamy's [spoiler]oh-so satisfying dented skull.[/spoiler] Here's hoping for minimal edits and amazing dialog as usual. Anyone else impressed by Colleen Clinkenbeard's flawless and quick transition into Luffy's character? I am utterly impressed by how well she's adapted, especially since she had it almost perfectly by the 4th episode. Other VA's I'm impressed by are:

Sonny Strait (Jason Griffiths ruined Sonic. He never deserved Usopp.)
Stephanie Young (I liked Robin from the first funi episode, if not just for the absence of the hick accent.)

EDIT: Crap. Looks like we have to wait longer. Toonami is airing that stupid Naruto movie again this week. Why do we have to suffer through it again? There are only 2 good parts in the entire freaking movie. [spoiler]Sasuke's autographed picture and Naruto Rasengan'ing the bad guy to the 31st of February.[/spoiler]

Usually I don't mind Naruto much, but why replace 2 new episodes of your cash cow and a new episode of a fantastic revival that's almost sure to garner you some money for a crappy movie that more or less insults your biggest-selling franchise by existing?[/QUOTE]

But Ace if you remember, we watched that already ( but it was funny to see how it was finished )

Also Naruto is a good anime and some of the movies are accyually good. The only thing I hate is when I was watching the series online the last 20 episode of the original series were ALL FILLERS!!!! The shippuden is amazing though

Naruto's cool and all, but I'll agree that the fillers are a drag... plus a select number of the fans creep me out. Nothing personal; they just do.

Oh, did anyone else catch a couple weeks or so ago that there was one shot where Sanji was still smoking? I can't remember exactly when it was anymore, but my brother and I were laughing so hard it hurt.

I want to see the good ol' boys in Mariejoa and Shanks's crew. That ought to be a treat.

[quote name='Nehszriah']Naruto's cool and all, but I'll agree that the fillers are a drag... plus a select number of the fans creep me out. Nothing personal; they just do.

Oh, did anyone else catch a couple weeks or so ago that there was one shot where Sanji was still smoking? I can't remember exactly when it was anymore, but my brother and I were laughing so hard it hurt.

I want to see the good ol' boys in Mariejoa and Shanks's crew. That ought to be a treat.[/QUOTE]

I dont really remember him smoking in the new company take over ( Funidub) but you might have seen the old version..but I dont really know..but it is funny!

[quote name='haku877']But Ace if you remember, we watched that already ( but it was funny to see how it was finished )

Also Naruto is a good anime and some of the movies are accyually good. The only thing I hate is when I was watching the series online the last 20 episode of the original series were ALL FILLERS!!!! The shippuden is amazing though[/QUOTE]

I wanna see how heavily they actually have to edit it. And I know Naruto's fine, I just hate Land of Snow. It's a crappy movie.

[quote name='Nehszriah']No, no, I definately remember he was in Cricket's place. Maybe it's my memory acting up over the exact place, but it was certainly after Funimation took over.[/quote]

I don't remember Sanji lighting up, but there was one episode a couple weeks back where Cricket was holding a lit cig for like, half a second. (don't argue, Haku. I'll show you the clip next time you, me and the internet are in the same room, if you want.)

[quote name='Aceburner']I wanna see how heavily they actually have to edit it. And I know Naruto's fine, I just hate Land of Snow. It's a crappy movie.

I don't remember Sanji lighting up, but there was one episode a couple weeks back where Cricket was holding a lit cig for like, half a second. (don't argue, Haku. I'll show you the clip next time you, me and the internet are in the same room, if you want.)[/QUOTE]

I will give you that...I hated land of snow. Its just to cliché for one, and the fact is, its just to out of line, one place to another it's hard to follow but easy at the same time, Ya know?

But yes, I too want to see have they will edit it, I predict less blood, and [Spoiler] no dent in his head [/spoiler] will be there, maybe it will just not as heavily.

Okay, That was a good episode.

I was a bit disappointed at a little bit of toned-down violence, But I know for a fact that FUNi did much better than they who must not be named would have. Voices are amazing, especially Doflamingo, Mihawk and Shanks. (I think I've fallen in love with Doflamingo, despite the fact that I'm totally heterosexual. It's the walk.)

Also, I would like to point out something that we all know 4Kids would have edited, despite the total pointlessness of it. Remember the part where Doflamingo's doing his [spoiler]marionette[/spoiler] thing and it kind of looks like he's giving someone the finger? It's still there.

On a final note, I never noticed how poor voice direction was in the original dub. I watched a clip of the "lollipop on the sword" scene. I wanted to yell out "Luffy! Stop Yelling!" His old VA knows no calmness. Also, remember the time They thought it would be a good idea to have Anime characters sing the National Anthem? I watched it again. I died a little inside.