OtakuBoards

One Piece

Mimmsicle

[color=chocolate]I discovered the anime [i]"One Piece"[/i] a couple of months ago. the weirdly drawn and quirky charachters caught my eye and I became hooked. I don't remember the name of the artist behind the anime, so if anyone knows please pass it on.

[i]"One Piece"[/i] is the name of the treasure that the late [i]"King of Pirates"[/i], [color=black][b]Gold Roger[/b][/color], has hidden somewhere on the Grand Line (a trecherous stretch of sea). He was unfortunately captured and executed. A few years later, a young man by the name of [color=black][b]Ruffy[/color][/b] decides to claim the title of [i]"King of Pirates"[/i] and sets sail, off to the Grand Line.
On his way he recruits [color=black][b]Zorro[/b] [/color](a swordsman), [color=black][b]Lyssop[/b][/color] (he's a cowardly liar, but also has excellent accuracy in firing), [color=black][b]Nami[/b] [/color](a navigator and thief), [color=black][b]Sanji[/b][/color] (a cook and ladiesman) and later on in the series 2 other charachters. I won't write them here in case I spoil it for someone.

that's basically the chore, but interwoven in the story is the importance of friendship, the power of perseverence, and that any obstacle can be overcome if you have faith in yourself [SIZE=1]*sniffle*[/SIZE]
it's hystercally funny [SIZE=1] (a lot of situation comedy, clashes between charachters) [/SIZE] , at times frustrating [SIZE=1](the closer to [i]"One Piece"[/i] they get, the longer they drag on the battles between the crew and the baddies)[/SIZE], it sends a good message.... and if that doesn't tickle your fancy, there's swords / high kicks / and flying fists creating mayhem [SIZE=01](powerful "persuasion" in other words)[/SIZE]. :cross:

I hope I've made this thread somewhat informative and worthy of the space. feel free to share your thoughts on [i]"One Piece"[/i] right here !
- Mimmi
[/color]

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Navy]This is a mod-approved double post; the previous reply was spammy and therefore deleted.

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

[color=chocolate]ah, yes. I think they've "translated" the names somewhat in the one I'm wathing (german dubbed version). it's good to know what others know them as, that way we can all understand eachother :)
and thanks for giving me the name of the artist !
have you seen all episodes in the anime ? I haven't, so please don't give examples from the end or anything *g*

I also forgot to mention in my first post that Ruffy/Luffy has the special ability to stretch his body as much as he'd like. he ate this fruit (dunno what it's called in english) that gave him this special power, but it also made him unable to swim. figures :P

- Mimmi[/color]

In the case of the gum gum fruit. it is also called the devil fruit as a general term. It is a gigantic berry. This berry can be sold for a high price...I think 100 million berries or something like that? Anyway, there was more then one type of Devil fruit, for instance the chop chop fruit, which allows the person to break into pieces and makes the person immune to cuts. Luffy can be cut/poked by very sharp objects like knife or pins, but bullets don't harm him. He has several moves this luffy (that I know of)

Gum Gum Rocket - Jump up very high
Gum Gum Balloon - Expand like a balloon
he has several others, but I don't remember their exact names. He can punch from very far away and fall from great distances without getting hurt

[COLOR=chocolate]ah, yes. the devils fruit. thankyou for the lecture. since I watch the german dub it is sometimes difficult for me to translate. must learn to communicate better [SIZE=1]*makes mental note*[/SIZE]

the chop chop fruit was eaten by Buggy the Clown, right? I missed him the first time around, along with a few others. he was funnier when he was chopped up, I think.

it's difficult to have a favourite episode, but one that has stuck in my memory is the one when they are in
[spoiler]Alabasta and Peru (The Falcon man, dunno the spelling of his name) flew with the timebomb up to the heavens and vanished in the light of the explosion. [i]*sob*[/i] so brilliant, so beautiful and so sad. kinda reminded me of Boromir. [i]*sniffle*[/i][/spoiler]

I've heard that there's at least 140 episodes. are there more than that ?

- Mimmi[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by efreet [/i]
[B]it's called the gum-gum fruit! [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Posts like this are against the rules and are considered spam. Please refer to the OtakuBoards Information Center for the rules on post quality. Thank you.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mimmi [/i]
[B][COLOR=chocolate]ah, yes. the devils fruit. thankyou for the lecture. since I watch the german dub it is sometimes difficult for me to translate. must learn to communicate better [SIZE=1]*makes mental note*[/SIZE]

the chop chop fruit was eaten by Buggy the Clown, right?

I've heard that there's at least 140 episodes. are there more than that ?

- Mimmi[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was Buggy the clown. And in the case of the lecture you are welcome^_^. In the case of the number of episodes, I am not sure though I think that number is right but as I said, none too sure sorry. I also hear there is supposed to be a game based on One Piece for either the PS2 or PS1, I don't remember for sure though. I also know there is at least one, one piece movie. I think I'd be very glad for a US version of the game and the movie:D

[color=chocolate]yeah, there's a game for the ps1, though since it can be played just as easily on ps2 I guess one does not need to put it down to the one console :)
I've seen that there's a movie, but have no clue what it's about. time will make us wiser, I suppose.

- Mimmi [/color]

[spoiler]EDIT: I saw the episode after my recent favourite (Peru and the explosion) and he never died !!! but then, who does in this anime? *lol*[/spoiler]

As for One Piece, what should I say!! Well it's one of the current favorite anime for me... I really enjoyed watching this great show, yeah it's very long but I don't think it's just like the DBZ, I mean you will almost gonna like every single episode of One Piece as I did, maybe few eps I didn't like but most of the eps were amazing, you must see this anime, it's really very amazing, there are alot of funny and cool characters... I liked Zoro, Sanji the most, even Luffy is a cool character I also liked Mihawk and even Shanks... There are just too many characters... Adventure, Action, Fantasy, Comedy, Sad Drama, musics, fights...etc you will find it here in this anime... well maybe that's only my simple opinion but I do for sure know that there are alot of people who agree with me

Guest silvercloud
One Piece Rocks! It is one of the best anime/manga I've ever seen. By the way, does anybody know if Chopa joins the crew? (the movie I have stopped right before they asked him)

[color=midnightblue]Ah, yes. One Piece, currently the most popular shounen manga in Japan. I find this series pretty enjoyable, though it isn't quite my favorite Shonen Jump title ever (That space is held by Naruto). I haven't downloaded any of the anime episodes, because my morals kick in every time I try and download a 28-minute movie. Thus I am left with the manga, which is pretty nice.

The plot is original (I don't think I've ever read a pirate manga before) and the animation is nice and crisp, with everything being either black or white. No grays in there except for in flashbacks. That sort of gives it an "old-school" manga feel, from a time before there were computers that you could use to add shades of gray to pages of comics. In that way, it somewhat reminds me of Dragonball manga..

Overall, I find the series a little too light-hearted for my taste. That's not to say it doesn't have its dark moments, though. The character design is a little too cheery and vibrant for my taste. Their eyes are pretty wide and cartoony, for the most part, which is not exactly my favorite style ever. Think more Yoshiyuki Sadomoto for me.

But yeah, this is a really awesome series, and it is one of the first sections of SJ I read when I get a new issue in the mail. [/color]

[quote]
[i]Mimmi originally wrote:[/i]
[b]I've heard that there's at least 140 episodes. are there more than that ?[/b]
[/quote]

[color=midnightblue]Yeah, this is one of those anime series that is adapted from a long running and popular manga, meaning that a new episode comes out every week and there are no off-seasons. By now, there are probably at least 170 episodes or so. At least, that's my rough estimate.[/color]

[quote]
[i]silvercloud originally wrote:[/i]
[b]One Piece Rocks! It is one of the best anime/manga I've ever seen. By the way, does anybody know if Chopa joins the crew? (the movie I have stopped right before they asked him)[/b]
[/quote]

[color=midnightblue][spoiler]Yes, as a matter of fact, Chopper (I prefer spelling it that way) joins the crew and becomes the mascot for Luffy's crew, as well as a good deal of One Piece's merchandise.[/spoiler][/color]

[QUOTE]Yeah, this is one of those anime series that is adapted from a long running and popular manga, meaning that a new episode comes out every week and there are no off-seasons. By now, there are probably at least 170 episodes or so. At least, that's my rough estimate.[/quote]
:drunk: [color=chocolate] yikes. thanks for the answer.

[SIZE=1][color=black]by the way, I've been looking around for One Piece sites, but since I can't browse any search engines (dunno why) I can't find any. so I'd be grateful if someone could give me directions :)[/SIZE][/color]

[spoiler]the darkest it's got so far (haven't seen them all) is when they're in Alabasta. I seriously thought it'd never work out for them. but it was nice to see things as they are sometimes: impossible, heartwrenching and darker than average.[/spoiler]

I like the style in which it's drawn, but then I haven't read the manga.
it's just nice to see stuff that's away from cute/clean cut, fluffy and normal.

- Mimmi[/color]

I did a little searching on [url]http://www.animewebturnpike.com/[/url] and I came up with something I think looks good enough, I havn't really taken a in-depth look at it but, try this

[url]http://arlongpark.osgurus.com/[/url]

You may also want to look up one piece on the anime web turnpike's Web-page listing, searching makes it easy, but if you can't do it, just go under anime/manga series and pick the one that has an 0 (for One Piece) simple enough. I hope this helps^_^

• 4 months later...
Guest otakunater
I just downloaded the first 10 epesodes of it and now I'm obsessed, the characters so far are great :D so far I've met luffy, zoro, navigater girl, and liar boy on episode 10, sorry bad with names. any1 have an opinion on it?

[COLOR=Navy]I merged your thread with our official One Piece topic. Welcome to OtakuBoards, and happy posting. ^_^

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

• 2 months later...
[quote name='AnimeonDVD.com']According to Galaxy Anime, Al Kahn, CEO of 4Kids Entertainment, has confirmed the acquisition to translation and distribution rights to the One Piece anime series at the presently ongoing Licensing Show in New York City.[/quote]

Well, it seems that 4Kids has licensed this show. Let me simply say that all of you One Piece fans have my sincere condolences... just take comfort in the fact that it wasn't picked up by Nelvana. :/ Hopefully FUNimation will obtain the rights to produce an uncensored bilingual release, as they plan to do with other 4Kids series like Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1] Hopefully FUNimation will obtain the rights to produce an uncensored bilingual release, as they plan to do with other 4Kids series like Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Eww. I had a feeling it was gonna happen sooner or later *sighs* Yes. I really do hope that there will be an uncensored or in my terms, de-kiddyfied, version released. You know, Sanji is a chainsmoker, right? Are they gonna have him smoke a toothpick? (~~) One wonders. [/COLOR]

I'm also a big One Piece fan. My favorite character was Captain Kuro....

I'm also hoping that there will be un-edited DVDs available.

Also, besides Sanji's smoking habits what about the character Smoker? I'd like to see how they get around that....

I've also been watching the One Piece movies...although they are not stories from the original manga (and therefore some people don't consider them canon), I find them to be very enjoyable. Movie 2 was especially good I thought, and the extra feature (Jango's Dance Carnival) was hilarious.

Guest Sir Crocodile
One Piece is the greatest anime/manga ever, except for the filler episodes in the anime XP. Probaly the weirdest Devil Fruit power is a new one that's only in the manga right now. It's a fruit that allows the user to slow any object down by 30 seconds. My favorite character is Sanji. About 4Kids, here are my prediction of what they're gonna do about it.
-Edit all blood out of the fight scenes
-No swearing
-Digitally get rid of Sanji and Smoker's smoking habits
-Change some names
-Change it so Sanji isn't such a pervert
-Never use the word die
Those are just a few. It upsets me that 4Kids is doing this. I just hope someone makes some unedited DVDs or something.

• 4 weeks later...
ive only read one volume on this but it is one of my favorites so far. i like zoro the most, but the chef guy is funny too, sanji right? he gets into some funny stuff. i dont like this 4kids thing either. it takes away the soul of it. if they are going to edit it down they are going to take out alot of the best stuff.

[quote name='natetron46']ive only read one volume on this but it is one of my favorites so far. i like zoro the most, but the chef guy is funny too, sanji right? he gets into some funny stuff. i dont like this 4kids thing either. it takes away the soul of it. if they are going to edit it down they are going to take out alot of the best stuff.[/quote]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkRed]How would you even know anything about Sanji if you've only read Volume 1?

I'm currently on Volume 34 of the Manga and I'm still loving this series, it's just too awesome![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Their finally going to show the anime this fall, only problem is it's going to be on the foxbox and 4kids is doing the dubbing (4Kids... the definition of evil), which could mean another poorly dubbed anime. I saw the opening and they made their own theme song for it that isn't so bad (it sounds like the shaman king opening). I think we all saw this coming, they replaced Sanji's cigarette with a lollipop (yep.. theres ol' Sanji, lighting his lollipop). I wonder how their going to cover up the guns in the part with the navy. Theirs alot of drinking in the series too so, just like they did in Digimon, their probably going to magically change beer to soda. Funimation would definitly do a better job on it. Lets just hope they release uncut DVDs. Who knows maybe it will turn out better than it looks.

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkOrange][quote name='Chibi Tifa'] I saw the opening and they made their own theme song for it that isn't so bad (it sounds like the shaman king opening).[/quote]

0_o The opening song is the same as the original opening. The only differences are that it's sung in English and contain some edited scenes ^^;; Over all, not bad. I've had THAT song stuck in my head for the past 2 days now ^^;; [I]We Are![/I]

[QUOTE]Theirs alot of drinking in the series too so, just like they did in Digimon, their probably going to magically change beer to soda. Funimation would definitly do a better job on it. Lets just hope they release uncut DVDs.[/QUOTE]

Beer = soda. THAT's what happened to [B]Rave Master[/B] [among other things] =_= With the release of Yugioh and Shaman King Uncut, I am comfident that [B]One Piece[/B] will be released uncut too...eventually ^^;; Though, I AM curious to see the TV version--and yes, I'll most likely be horrified like I was with [B]Rave Master[/B]. *sniffle* It's just too sad =_=[/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...
Oh, my beloved One Piece...

A friend of mine got me into the manga last November; I read two issues of the Americanized version and decided I had to have more. My very basic knowledge of Japanese wouldn't get me very far with the original manga, but subtitles--even in their Hong Kong not-so-perfect glory--were like a lifesaver. There are 34 volumes of the manga (about 330-some-odd chapters) and nearing 200 anime episodes. I'm beginning to make my dent in that fine amount.

The animation is a bit 'happy', but somehow it all manages to fit in; the battle scenes are generally spectacular, if not a little drawn out. Each of the characters has his or her own unique 'something', something that makes them different and, in most cases, quite likeable. Even the villains are hard to say goodbye to.

Personally, my favorite characters are in the 'Syrup Village' story arc--Usopp, Kaya, and Meri the sheepman-butler, in that order. I really love Usopp. I also have great love for Chopper (and own quite the amount of Chopper plushies, keychains, and clothing, thanks to penpals, eBay, and a con-going boyfriend). In fact I'm wearing my Chopper t-shirt as I type. :D

I'm resisting the urge to talk about the new manga chapters in Japan, because they're such big spoilers, I'd hate for someone to read anything I said by accident and be doomed with that knowledge forever.

But I digress. 4kids has my dear One Piece in its cold clammy clutches, and I'm afraid of what's going to come of it. Sanji already has a lollipop. Apparenly, [spoiler]Zoro's name is going to be 'Ronald Zoro'[/spoiler], although I haven't confirmed that and it could just be a rumor. And suddenly, loving One Piece isn't going to be out-of-the-ordinary anymore. Suddenly, I must share my fandom with small children on Saturday mornings.

But I'm not going to give up on it--I still know what One Piece is like untouched, left to be its normal, bloody, beer-drinking, chain-smoking, [spoiler]homosexual character-sporting[/spoiler], piratey, gun-using, Japanese-named self. I'll keep buying my subtitled goodness, and I'll keep up the hope that the Americanization of One Piece will be a short-lived one.

We are on the cruise. :)

Guest Aburame Shino
One Piece is the story of Monkey D. Luffy (yes that is his real name), a young adventurous boy who dreams of becoming the Pirate King, by finding the legendary treasure "One Piece". Inspired by his childhood role model, "Red Haired" Shanks, Luffy sets out on his journey to become the pirate king. He gathers a crew together and heads to the Grand Line, the place where One Piece is held. If he obtains this treasure, he'll become the king of pirates.

Although some might say this Anime advertises more to young kids, it is not. It is avery addictive and adventurous Anime. The characters are done beautifully and the way all the islands and places are drawn is fantastic.

One Piece is written and drawn by Eiichiro Oda. One Piece is currently the most popular manga/anime in Japan right now, and we can all see why. Its story is really interesting and addicting, and each character is developed well. One Piece currenly spans 31 volumes of manga and 304 chapters. The One Piece anime has shown 175 episode so far and continues strong. Right now, the English version of the manga is being distributed in Shonen Jump, so go check it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------

So What do you guys think! :flaming: