OtakuBoards

28 Days Later

Kanariya

When I went over my dad's house today, my brother had just bought a movie called 28 days. Like any scary bloody horror movie it was rated R. We watched it, it was about 3 hours long.

I thought it was an okay movie, I didn't expect it to be what it was. It was a little confusing but I got it.
So whoever has seen this movie, I want your opinions. Is it good, bad, or okay and why?

[color=green][size=1]It's 28 Days Later, 28 Days is a Sandra Bullock film. This film is one of my top five of the last year. I think it's great. It has a lot of social commentary and is a thinking film. I don't really think it was all that comfusing. I really liked the use of color throughout the film. I also liked that it was shot digitally, and not on film. It really said something about that human spirit, I mean [spoiler]when Jim wakes up, and the door to his room is locked, but the key is slid under the door. I think it shows that there is decency in the world that some random nurse had taken the time to lock up a coma patient.[/spoiler] There is a lot of irony in it as well. This is a really good movie, you just have to think about deeper things.[/color][/size]

I don't really see what was confusing about it. It's mostly just a zombie film with an actual plot. I thought it was actually pretty good. It didn't seem to go over well in the theater I was in due to all the extremely quiet parts.

The only thing I'm not fond of was the fact that the zombies were insanely fast. It wasn't a big deal in the film, but apparently other movies are taking this idea now (such as that Dawn of the Dead "remake"). I guess the slow, practically invulnerable zombie is being replaced. Took awhile, I guess... just something to adjust to.

[color=green][size=1]I actually agree, Semjaza. I think that the old idea of zombies is much scarier. The old zombies that were slow, but relentless. They weren't stopping, no way, no how!

I thought the quiet parts were really effective. It's a thinking movie, not just a screamer.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Inuluvr1 [/i]
[B]We watched it, it was about 3 hours long.
[/B][/QUOTE]

3 Hours?? lol What movie were you watching? 28 Days Later was almost 2 hours long, not 3.

28 Days Later is the European equivalent to horror as The Eye or The Ring is to Asian horror films... Not many mind blowing films come out of Europe or the UK. This was one and a very good one. I thought it was well written, well acted, and I was very interested in it from start to beginning. That and Cillian Murphy is pretty hot once he cut his hair and shaved.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]3 Hours?? lol What movie were you watching? 28 Days Later was almost 2 hours long, not 3.[/B][/QUOTE]

What?! I swear it was like 3....but I DID see the movie, I just counted wrong. Man...next mistake I'll have is actually getting a bunch of F's on my report card.

Transtic is right. Nearly 2 hours.

It was a pretty thought provoking movie. One of those few movies I think that you still think about days after seeing it.

[spoiler] The monkeys were infected with RAGE! which leads me to believe that there wasn't an actual "disease" and that, it was rage, in it's purest form, driving everybody to insanity. [/spoiler]

Gruesome, gory, bloddy, and I liked the Idea of the extremely fast moving zombie rather than your average run of the mill slow zoimbie, and I hope it isn't overdone by everyone else, as bullet time was witht the Matrix.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Molleta [/i]
[B][color=green][size=1]It's 28 Days Later, 28 Days is a Sandra Bullock film. [/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

That [i]was[/i] a horror movie! Horror to see, more accurately :p

[Quote]That and Cillian Murphy is pretty hot once he cut his hair and shaved.[/Quote]

I had this same discussion with my sister just today ^_^

I really liked the movie, I really thought I'd be scared ****less, but I wasn't which is always nice. I really loved the silence in it, it added tremendously to that whole "something bad's gonna happen and then I'm gonna have nightmares" thing I feel when I watch these type of movies. I really don't know what else to say about it, besides the fact that I did enjoy. Very good plot, good acting...although the girl Hannah couldn't cry very convincingly.

[spoiler]Never try to save a monkey, you'll just screw yourself over.[/spoiler]

I would say that thinking about it, the movie is a lot like blue gender....Ok this currently by far my favorite horror movie. The opening with the empty city is really priceless. It was kind of a zombie movie but not really. The infected obviously had some thinking capacity which made them more dangerous (scary).

I thought of blue gender just now because you never really feel like the characters are safe no matter where they are, and even among the other humans.

I really want to see this again, my girlfriend hid her eyes for about 50% of the movie in the theatre.

I don't understand how this movie was "thought provoking." The only thought it provoked from me was how mediocre it turned out to be. I'm sorry. lol

That's not to say it didn't have its positive qualities. The first portion of the movie was disturbing and eerie. It achieved a thoroughly unsettling ambiance that just pulled me into the film. The desperation, the animalistic survival--I loved it. And all captured through what seemed to be a handheld camcorder.

[spoiler]You realize how deprived of human emotion the survivors are. There's no room for compassion or companionship. They operate like a pack and don't hesitate to violently sever anyone who falls behind.[/spoiler]

That's enough to create a feeling of uneasiness because it's behavior so foreign to us--the lack of value for human life outside of its use for one's own safety.

Unfortunately, the film fell apart for me when [spoiler]they reached the military outpost. I understand the theme of man killing man but this portion of the film deviated too far from zombie horror for my liking. I wanted to see the characters constantly fleeing in desperation. Locking them into one location chilled the excitement.[/spoiler]

I didnt like the movie! On the commercials it says "this movie is Scary As Hell!" but i swear there were only about 15 infected ppl.. the plot changes too. It goes from [Spoiler]Coma patient in a city alone, to him running places with a team, to finding 2 ppl, and then going to a military base. Then all of a sudden theres guys tryin to rape the girls and wanting to kill the dude.[/spoiler] i thought it was lame.