OtakuBoards

Who here loves the 80s?

Artemis

Does anyone else love 80s music? I've gotten pretty hooked on it myself. I'm quite the Pat Benatar fan now. (not to mention good old Aerosmith and Bon Jovi) :love:
Besides being great music, it's also a [I]great[/I] way to annoy ppl who have no appreciation for the wonderful 80s. (Think about it, most of us were [I]born[/I] in the 80s! Of [I]course[/I] it was a great decade!!) :D
Anyway, if you love 80s music or movies, tell me your faves and your reasons (I guess. But come on, do [I]need[/I] a reason to love the 80s?!?!)
over and out
~art~

Ah the 80s, the time that style forgot. Well I was always a power ballad fan, Heart, Bonnie Tyler, Mr Mister and all that. I do like Debbie Gibson, Culture Club and the early Madonna stuff. Always classics really, not too sure about the make-up though ^_~.

Oh man, the 80's. Well, I like Duran Duran, Bon Jovi, A-ha, Madonna, and the more heavy stuff, Megadeth, Metallica(those were the years), Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister, Rush(wich I still listen), and many many other.

I don't know, whenever I hear an 80's song, it just brings back a lot of wonderful memories. I loved the music, and also the TV programs airing, and the cartoons and anime. Who could forget Robotech! I still see the DVD's of that series.

The 80's, to me, those were happy times!!!

[size=1]I am currently hooked on Billy Idol. Then there is always David Bowie ... I really would not be able to pin a lot of bands as 80's, so I probably listen to more than I am aware of. I have a friend that is pretty into the 80's, so a lot of my exposure to that time period comes from her.

The Misfits were around in the 80's ... They started in the late 70's, but most of their career existed during the 80's. Same with the Dead Kennedys and the Clash (who actually started in the mid-seventies into the mid-eighties). I think bad Religion started in the 80's as well.[/size]

Meheheh, I am currently obsessed with Billy Idol myself. *is listening to Rebel Yell right now* Well the 80's had some of the best music ever created. Some of my favorites include Depeche Mode, The Smiths, The Cure, Eurythmics, Prince, I could mention so much more, but I have to bathe the babe. In short, the 80's had some kick *** music, best one hit wonders ever heard and really big hair. Awesome-ness ^_^

[color=orange] I love that show- I love the 80's. I used to hate the 80's but now I seem to have developed a appreciation for it. I love a whole lot of songs from the 80's but I have no idea who sings them. Does Neil Diamond count for the 80's. I love Neil Diamond! [/color]

I love Billy Idol and David Bowie. I also loved many 80's sci-fi, Alien, Blade Runner, Predator. Yep, the 80's was pretty cool. Fashion-wise, we are going through the 80's again really, especially when you look around and see everyone in ripped jeans :o

Outside Comment: ARTEMIS HAS STRONGBAD AS THE AVATAR...:wigout: *voice of strongbad* scroll button, scroll button ,one, two, one , two. Well you can kick it with so I can scroll with you!! LMAO!

Sorry I just love that site....

Back to the 80's...Yes I love the 80's I think the best people who came out was...Hmmm Rick Ashely...(white man/ black voice) okay Boy George, and yes the 1st Batman( with Micheal Keaton mind you)
But it was a cool decade and I love many mor ethings about it but Strongbad got me sidetracked that I cant think of much more...

OH YEAH...Tundercats...and He-man, Jem, Voltron, and may more cartoons.. and ye I did watch Pee Wee's playhouse it rocked!!!

P.S. Can anyone guess which Matrix star also had appearances in Pee-Wee's Playhouse!!!

I love the show on VH1 though I don't remember much about the 80s myself. I think the show is great for someone who was in their teens in the 8s but not really for someone born in the 80s. All I remember is Cherry Coke and Ninja Turtles, but show has brougt back some other memorys also like the Care Bears and other thing I hadf nightmares about. I aslo remember that Disney thing that used to come on after school. It was called Disney Afternoon I think. I used to love those shows especially Duck Tales and Darkwing Duck.

i love the 80's! It was a great time to be born! all those great shows. Pee-Wee's Playhouse...oh how i remember that show. me and my brother would watch it every time it came on, and then when it was time for the secret word, we would scream it at the top of our lungs and make mom mad at us. :) those were great times, and who could forget the Turtles and Care Bears. they're coming back!!! wow, it seems that everything during this era is coming back, in terms of shows that is. I mean, turtle and care bears. and they even have transformers! not to mention a new He-man! and who could forget those wonderful thundercats....
oh...such great memories of my childhood....

Bowie isn't so much 80s as he is 70s... although his superstar reign did extend there. Bowie is obviously still around and still very relevent, unlike most musicians from his background and time.... but he really isn't, and wasn't in the 80s to an extent, the almost godlike presence as he was back in the 70s.

There's a lot of awesome stuff from the 80s. Musicwise you have Motley Crue, Def Leppard, The Police, etc. Of course most of it was hair metal bands that no one should ever speak of again... a lot of the good stuff seemed to be just bands that had been living on from previous decades anyway like Led Zeppelin, The Cure, AC/DC, Rush, etc.

Anyway, there's more to it than that. Of course the shows and toys and stuff I grew up with... considering I was born in 82.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by sweetreyes [/i]
[B]Outside Comment: ARTEMIS HAS STRONGBAD AS THE AVATAR...:wigout: *voice of strongbad* scroll button, scroll button ,one, two, one , two. Well you can kick it with so I can scroll with you!! LMAO!

Sorry I just love that site....

P.S. Can anyone guess which Matrix star also had appearances in Pee-Wee's Playhouse!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Isn't StrongBad awesome? Actually I haven't been there in awhile.

Anyway, I'm dying to know the answer to your question, sweetreyes. I used to watch Pee-Wee until Mom decided there was something wrong w/ him. :rolleyes: :laugh:
I also watched Mighty Mouse, Garfield and Friends, the Turtles, and others. I remember seeing a "Lady Lovely Locks" movie in kindergarten or first grade. ('90, '91) I can't remember if it was a series or not. Oh yeah! Does anyone else remember Inspector Gadget? the original cartoons, I mean. (not Rupert Everet as Claw...although he's great!!)
~art~
P.S. This is my 100th post! *celebrates* Oh wait, no else is up at this ungodly hour... Oh well. Happy Halloween! :D

[i]Thunder thunder thunder cats![/i] Yeah! And Care Bears! I remember them! Actually I think I still have a stuffed Baby Tugs and Tenderheart up on my bookcase. Ahh and the Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtles! They rocked! Oh and inspector gadget! Those were the days....I love the i love the 80s tv show. espacially now that's it's the strikes back. A few nights ago I thought it was coming on and I was just out of the shower so I ran all the way down to the basement with just a towel on....:sweat: I don't really watch all that much tv anymore so I take what I can get. Of course it turned out to be a special on NASCAR so then I got mad....The music in the 80s, in my opinion, was awsome. It kinda seemed that everybody was sad...at least all the love songs did. Oh and Journey was big in the 80s! Don't stop beliveing!*walks off singing it at the top of her lungs till someone whacks her on the head*

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]. Of course most of it was hair metal bands that no one should ever speak of again... a lot of the good stuff seemed to be just bands that had been living on from previous decades anyway like Led Zeppelin, The Cure, AC/DC, Rush, etc.
[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]C'mon Tony, you know that you are a closet Rat fan, and I know I saw you in a picture wearing a Damn Yankee T-shirt...lol

The eighties had a ton of good songs, but very few good artists/bands. Take A-Ha for example..."Take on Me" rocks, but what other good songs did A-Ha have?

I do like a few eighties bands: INXS, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, the Police, Poison, Van Halen (a la Sammy Hagar), and Billy Idol (although I would never by an actual Idol release, "Vital Idol" has all the songs that you ever need to hear Billy sing).[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Molleta [/i]
[B][color=green]The answer to sweetreyes' question is Lawrence Fishburn (sp) He was the singing cowboy.

Have we all been watching a little too much I Love the 80's on VH1?[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I wonder how many people are like me and know that simply because they watched the show religiously. I don't need a stupid documentary show to help me out with that heh. Pee-wee's Big Adventure is the best movie ever made in my opinion.

HC: I think it's Ratt, with two T's lol. I can't even think of what they did anymore.

[B]I wonder how many people are like me and know that simply because they watched the show religiously. I don't need a stupid documentary show to help me out with that heh. Pee-wee's Big Adventure is the best movie ever made in my opinion.

HC: I think it's Ratt, with two T's lol. I can't even think of what they did anymore. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I remember selling wrapping paper in elementry school just to get the awesome Pee-Wee's playhouse binders, folders, and rulers that everyone wanted...they were so cool.

And it is Ratt with two t's...I can't believe I forgot the second T stupid, stupid me! There famous (well sort of famous :) song is "Round N Round" I think....[/color]

This is a bit random, but at my school we have an 80's dance every year, and it's probably one of the most fun and well-attended school-sponsored dances. They just play 80's music all night, and people dress up in ridiculous 80's clothes ... yeah. It's called the Safety Dance. Which is cute.

Personally, I don't know enough 80's music to really enjoy it (or the dance, actually) but what I've heard of it is ... fun.

[B]I wonder how many people are like me and know that simply because they watched the show religiously. I don't need a stupid documentary show to help me out with that heh. Pee-wee's Big Adventure is the best movie ever made in my opinion.

HC: I think it's Ratt, with two T's lol. I can't even think of what they did anymore. [/B][/QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO....OMG..that movie wasone of the greatest of the 80's kids movies....LOL but I also like the Big Top Adventure as well...

And since we all love the 80's so much why don't we go ahead and have a little bit more of 80's trivia......we can go ahead and start from here... I'll ask this question and the person who get's it right gets to ask the next question...

WHICH movie starred Geena Davis, as a lonely valley girl and Jim Carrey as an alien trying to get back home?

...Hint there are two more aliens along with him and they are the actor Jeff Goldblum and Damon Waynes...P.S. It was a kinda corny flick!!!

Guest rttocs77
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Artemis [/i]
[B]Does anyone else love 80s music? I've gotten pretty hooked on it myself. I'm quite the Pat Benatar fan now. (not to mention good old Aerosmith and Bon Jovi) :love:
Besides being great music, it's also a [I]great[/I] way to annoy ppl who have no appreciation for the wonderful 80s. (Think about it, most of us were [I]born[/I] in the 80s! Of [I]course[/I] it was a great decade!!) :D
Anyway, if you love 80s music or movies, tell me your faves and your reasons (I guess. But come on, do [I]need[/I] a reason to love the 80s?!?!)
over and out
~art~ [/B][/QUOTE]

ANYTHING in the 80's is incredibly addicting...no wonder they had such a big coke problem during it.